2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

Texas High School FB Coaches are whiny bitches....

https://www.frogsowar.com/2019/7/11/20689664/gary-patterson-matt-rhule-jimbo-fisher-tom-herman  

"Trust Me, I’m a Football Coach"

A Dave Cambell's FB survey of the most trustworthy coaches in Texas had some illuminating results.

By Grant McGalliard  Jul 11, 2019

Coaches were asked “Which of the 12 FBS coaches in Texas would you say you trust the most?” and “Which of the 12 FBS coaches in Texas would you say you trust the least?” Those are two questions designed to gin up some discussion — so let’s discuss them, because, hoo boy, some of these results are really funny.

TCU’s own Gary Patterson topped the list of the most trustworthy coaches, with 25.2 percent saying they trusted GP the most. That narrowly edged out Baylor’s Matt Rhule, who came in at 21.5 percent. That sounds about right. Patterson has made a living on giving scholarships and playing time to under-recruited kids from one-stoplight towns across the state. And Rhule is by all accounts a really swell dude.

Tom Herman checks in at 11.4 percent, which I find hilarious. He’s coached at Houston and the state’s flagship program, and he can’t beat out the guy at SMU in gaining high school coaches’ trust. Maybe he should buy a grill that says “Trust Me, I’m a Good Dude” on it?  The real humor is that Jimbo Fisher is below Seth Littrell on this list. Only 6.5 percent of coaches say they trust Jimbo the most. I’m not a recruiting expert, but I don’t think that’s good! Maybe it’s because he talks too fast, or maybe it’s because he makes too much money, or maybe he’s a Skoal guy and most Texas coaches chew Copenhagen. Who knows!

But Aggie fans should rest easy, because Jimbo did top one list in the DCTF survey. Yes, 32.8 percent of high school coaches say they trust Jimbo the least of any FBS coach in the Lone Star State. He’s a relative newcomer to Texas, so that may play some role, but I’m going to have to award Jimbo my Big Yikes of the Week Award for this one.  Also, the Texas-Texas A&M rivalry is back! Because Tom Herman checks in as the No. 2 most untrustworthy coach in Texas in this survey, with 23.3 percent of coaches trusting him the least. Maybe they’re just waiting for him to actually win a Big 12 title?

Edited by LTtxfan

45 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Big loss, not in terms of who he's joining.  It's not like SMU is going to compete with Texas for recruits, so I'd say this is as good a place as any for him to get his first coaching position.  If he does well, I can see him later joining the Texas staff, should an opening ever become available. 

38 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Big loss, not in terms of who he's joining.  It's not like SMU is going to compete with Texas for recruits, so I'd say this is as good a place as any for him to get his first coaching position.  If he does well, I can see him later joining the Texas staff, should an opening ever become available. 

Maybe 1yr at SMU then returns back to Texas 🤘

On 7/18/2019 at 3:15 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

know how I know Grant McGalliard is a cocksucker?

Yeah the constant trash talking was weird. I mean when is this guy who has coached at Texas for two years FINALLY going to win the Big 12? Burn I guess? 

Edited by Valmy77
  • Haha 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas played 13 games in the last 3 years vs the final AP poll and went 2-11? I find it hard to believe 13 games were played vs the final ap poll. Maybe somebody could look that up, too lazy here. 17 losses in the last 3 years. No way only 4 of those were outside the top 25.

5 hours ago, markstanco said:

Texas played 13 games in the last 3 years vs the final AP poll and went 2-11? I find it hard to believe 13 games were played vs the final ap poll. Maybe somebody could look that up, too lazy here. 17 losses in the last 3 years. No way only 4 of those were outside the top 25.

It's true. 0-7 between 2016 and 2017. 

2016 loss to OU, OKst, WVU

2017 loss to USC, OU, OKst, TCU

2018 loss and win vs OU, loss to WVU, win vs UGA for 2-2 split. 

IT team notes, nothing groundbreaking

OFFENSE

The staff is very confident about this unit for the first time. They think they'll have a chance to overwhelm teams with physicality and talent. Overall they're high on skill positions and the offensive line. We've been hearing that bit about the offensive line since the spring, hopefully it materializes to start the season rather than halfway through. 

We've heard the transition for Parker Braun going from Georgia Tech's schemes to UT's is tougher than most fans realize. They do have him penciled in for left guard so they're thinking he'll win out but it might not happen immediately in camp.

Coaches are higher on Collin Johnson than they've ever been. They think he's put it all together (physicality, route running) and he just needs to show it on Saturdays. He's worked hard to become a more well-rounded receiver. Based on their expectations of him they have big plans for the giant XWR.

They want more production out of Z receiver but think they'll get it out of Devin Duvernay and Brennan Eagles. If Eagles stays healthy he'll rotate a lot. Simple as that.

Funny what a difference a year makes for how Sam Ehlinger is viewed. Last year they didn't quite know what they had with him, now they do. They're going to put as much on his plate as he can handle and Ehlinger's opinions of what works and what doesn't carries weight.

DEFENSE

The feeling on defense is too much is being made by who left and not enough credit given to talent coming up, familiarity with scheme, three years of strength and conditioning, and consistency with coaching across the board. Remember, we know for a fact this is UT's strongest and fastest team, at least off of the field. This group isn't viewed as elite or anything like that, but they should be better than last year.

The concern they do have is at Mac. They're going to throw the kitchen sink at the position with Ayodele Adeoye, Caleb Johnson, and Juwan Mitchell. De'Gabriel Floyd would have been your starting Rover with McCulloch at Mac but with DGF's injury situation McCulloch is at Rover unless they go to Dime. If one of those linebackers makes a jump we'd put our money on Johnson.

They're not as concerned about Nickel. Josh Thompson knows the position better than anyone and for that reason he'll be penciled in at 1st team. BJ Foster will challenge him in what will undoubtedly be a spirited camp.

The emergence of D'shawn Jamison to go with his 2018 classmates of Anthony Cook and Jalen Green offers optimism at corner. There's a lot of confidence in those young players. They also love the way Kenyatta Watson has come in ready to compete. He may be a future nickel, corner, or joker. They have confidence they can win with Kobe Boyce on the field too.

Absent a true difference maker, they still really like the defensive line. It's the deepest position on the team and they'll be able to rotate like hockey lines. Keondre Coburn has been mentioned of late as someone who could surprise this season.

FRESHMEN

Nothing new here, but Jake Smith, Tyler Owens, and Kenyatta Watson II are as prepared as the staff has seen from incoming freshman. Javonne Shepherd, Isaiah Hookfin, and Myron Warren also came in ready to work. The freshmen 15 for them is to lose weight. 

They can't wait to see these guys when the pads come on.

CLOSING 

Expectations are to win the conference with a decent shot to make the playoffs with a little luck and good health. They do have some concerns regarding depth but it's improving.

While they do wonder what happened with a couple of recruitments, the staff is excited about the players it has landed. They're not just excited about the talent of the players but also their fit in the program. They know depth concerns are going to be a thing of the past with a little patience. They feel like their starters and some of their depth can play with anyone but their depth isn't on par with Clemson or Alabama.

Practice begins on August 2nd.

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT team notes, nothing groundbreaking

Hide contents

OFFENSE

The staff is very confident about this unit for the first time. They think they'll have a chance to overwhelm teams with physicality and talent. Overall they're high on skill positions and the offensive line. We've been hearing that bit about the offensive line since the spring, hopefully it materializes to start the season rather than halfway through. 

We've heard the transition for Parker Braun going from Georgia Tech's schemes to UT's is tougher than most fans realize. They do have him penciled in for left guard so they're thinking he'll win out but it might not happen immediately in camp.

Coaches are higher on Collin Johnson than they've ever been. They think he's put it all together (physicality, route running) and he just needs to show it on Saturdays. He's worked hard to become a more well-rounded receiver. Based on their expectations of him they have big plans for the giant XWR.

They want more production out of Z receiver but think they'll get it out of Devin Duvernay and Brennan Eagles. If Eagles stays healthy he'll rotate a lot. Simple as that.

Funny what a difference a year makes for how Sam Ehlinger is viewed. Last year they didn't quite know what they had with him, now they do. They're going to put as much on his plate as he can handle and Ehlinger's opinions of what works and what doesn't carries weight.

DEFENSE

The feeling on defense is too much is being made by who left and not enough credit given to talent coming up, familiarity with scheme, three years of strength and conditioning, and consistency with coaching across the board. Remember, we know for a fact this is UT's strongest and fastest team, at least off of the field. This group isn't viewed as elite or anything like that, but they should be better than last year.

The concern they do have is at Mac. They're going to throw the kitchen sink at the position with Ayodele Adeoye, Caleb Johnson, and Juwan Mitchell. De'Gabriel Floyd would have been your starting Rover with McCulloch at Mac but with DGF's injury situation McCulloch is at Rover unless they go to Dime. If one of those linebackers makes a jump we'd put our money on Johnson.

They're not as concerned about Nickel. Josh Thompson knows the position better than anyone and for that reason he'll be penciled in at 1st team. BJ Foster will challenge him in what will undoubtedly be a spirited camp.

The emergence of D'shawn Jamison to go with his 2018 classmates of Anthony Cook and Jalen Green offers optimism at corner. There's a lot of confidence in those young players. They also love the way Kenyatta Watson has come in ready to compete. He may be a future nickel, corner, or joker. They have confidence they can win with Kobe Boyce on the field too.

Absent a true difference maker, they still really like the defensive line. It's the deepest position on the team and they'll be able to rotate like hockey lines. Keondre Coburn has been mentioned of late as someone who could surprise this season.

FRESHMEN

Nothing new here, but Jake Smith, Tyler Owens, and Kenyatta Watson II are as prepared as the staff has seen from incoming freshman. Javonne Shepherd, Isaiah Hookfin, and Myron Warren also came in ready to work. The freshmen 15 for them is to lose weight. 

They can't wait to see these guys when the pads come on.

CLOSING 

Expectations are to win the conference with a decent shot to make the playoffs with a little luck and good health. They do have some concerns regarding depth but it's improving.

While they do wonder what happened with a couple of recruitments, the staff is excited about the players it has landed. They're not just excited about the talent of the players but also their fit in the program. They know depth concerns are going to be a thing of the past with a little patience. They feel like their starters and some of their depth can play with anyone but their depth isn't on par with Clemson or Alabama.

Practice begins on August 2nd.

There’s a fine line between making the next jump in reading defenses, making proper checks, and developing/understanding complimentary schemes and routes and overloading the QB into paralysis by analysis. 

Sam is best when he balls. It’s cool to have Mr. Cerebral taking the snap, but I’m hoping we don’t cross the line and hamper him. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

There’s a fine line between making the next jump in reading defenses, making proper checks, and developing/understanding complimentary schemes and routes and overloading the QB into paralysis by analysis. 

Sam is best when he balls. It’s cool to have Mr. Cerebral taking the snap, but I’m hoping we don’t cross the line and hamper him. 

Have you heard any of the bits from media days where reporters were asking him x's and o's questions? Sounds to me like he's got a pretty good intuitive grasp of what's what.

Of course, you are absolutely correct that he's at his best when he's doing, not thinking, but I feel more confident about him being able to handle new information than I feel about pretty much anything else related to this team in 2019.

24 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Have you heard any of the bits from media days where reporters were asking him x's and o's questions? Sounds to me like he's got a pretty good intuitive grasp of what's what.

Of course, you are absolutely correct that he's at his best when he's doing, not thinking, but I feel more confident about him being able to handle new information than I feel about pretty much anything else related to this team in 2019.

I haven’t heard any of his interviews from media days. But, having watched a couple of decades of college football, I’ve noticed how often OC’s decide to load up their star QB’s in year 2 and 3 by handing them the full offense only to have it backfire, and be forced to simplify by mid season after less than stellar results. 

This offense will take the next step with Sam only playing as well as last year so long as the rushing attack can increase its productivity 20+ % from extremely average to pretty good. So I believe that Sam only needs to take moderate steps forward for this thing to really get rolling with the above in mind. If that happens by loading up his plate then great. There’s certainly something to be said for a mature QB fully understanding his system, and making decisions intuitively and reflexively.  Sam is well on that road, but I’d be happy with a more measured progression if it doesn’t lead to setbacks. Especially given how well 2020 is shaping up to be dominant year for UT on both sides of the ball. 

A lot of handwringing to say that I hope we don’t overload Sam. Herman has a nice track record with his QB’s so we’ll see. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

40 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I haven’t heard any of his interviews from media days. But, having watched a couple of decades of college football, I’ve noticed how often OC’s decide to load up their star QB’s in year 2 and 3 by handing them the full offense only to have it backfire, and be forced to simplify by mid season after less than stellar results. 

This offense will take the next step with Sam only playing as well as last year so long as the rushing attack can increase its productivity 20+ % from extremely average to pretty good. So I believe that Sam only needs to take moderate steps forward for this thing to really get rolling with the above in mind. If that happens by loading up his plate then great. There’s certainly something to be said for a mature QB fully understanding his system, and making decisions intuitively and reflexively.  Sam is well on that road, but I’d be happy with a more measured progression if it doesn’t lead to setbacks. Especially given how well 2020 is shaping up to be dominant year for UT on both sides of the ball. 

A lot of handwringing to say that I hope we don’t overload Sam. Herman has a nice track record with his QB’s so we’ll see. 

Sam just hitting the wide open TE on that pop pass would have added about half a TD a game to our production. We must have missed 7 of those.  

And getting chemistry with Duv on deep balls would add a bunch more

Edited by Johnny Sack

25 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Sam just hitting the wide open TE on that pop pass would have added about half a TD a game to our production. We must have missed 7 of those.  

And getting chemistry with Duv on deep balls would add a bunch more

He needs to hit Duvernay more both moderate and deep. That's one of the steps he needs to take this season -- distribute the ball to more receivers and see the field better. Far too often he was looking for LJH last season when Duvernay was wide open.