2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

Since it's slow.... Fyi ESPN article:

Position U: Which schools produce the most talent at each position

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27207990/position-u-which-schools-produce-most-talent-position# 

QB:  4. Texas 

Notable players: Major Applewhite, Chris Simms, Vince Young, Colt McCoy

RB:  7. Texas
Notable players: Ricky Williams, Cedric Benson, Jamaal Charles

OL:  9. Texas
Notable players: Jay Humphrey, Leonard Davis, Mike Williams, Derrick Dockery, Justin Blalock, Connor Williams

DB:  6. Texas
Notable players: Kenny VaccaroEarl Thomas, Quentin Jammer

DL:  7. Texas
Notable players: Shaun Rogers, Casey Hampton, Cory Redding, Marcus Tubbs, Tim Crowder, Brian Orakpo, Lamar Houston, Malcolm Brown

Texas did not make Top 10 for WR, TE, or LB...

16 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27207990/position-u-which-schools-produce-most-talent-position# 

Notable players: Jay Humphrey, Leonard Davis, Mike Williams, Derrick Dockery, Justin Blalock, Connor Williams

Notable players: Shaun Rogers, Casey Hampton, Cory Redding, Marcus Tubbs, Tim Crowder, Brian Orakpo, Lamar Houston, Malcolm Brown

FUCK. I can't wear my DBU hat anymore. 

Suck a bag of dicks, mouse. 

19 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

What does notable mean? There are several NFL starters not listed here. 

32 minutes ago, Eggo said:

What does notable mean? There are several NFL starters not listed here. 

I believe the ranking is based on everybody, so notable is just that, "... a few Texas DBs the reader may have heard of are:"

This thing was posted in two or three threads

Spoiler

ESPN Stats & Information dug deep into the numbers, culled details on all-conference performers, All-Americans, NFL draft picks and stars from the pro ranks, and came up with a formula to determine the official rankings for the schools best at producing quarterbacks, receivers, tight ends, running backs, linemen, linebackers and defensive backs.

We limited the debate to the BCS and CFP era, including all players who appeared in games from 1998 through last season.

Edited by GringoSalado

Watching 08 shootout, Herbie embarrassing himself bragging on his boy stoops' defense in the 3rd qt. Forgot how good Chris Ogbonnaya was, I hope our RB's can be as good as this Ogbonnaya-Whittaker combo.

Here's some JR of HS Ogbonnaya for a Sunday snack. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goodman said:

That’s ridiculously unimpressive. Slow and no moves in HS, yet he turned out pretty decent in D1 football (and even played a couple NFL seasons).

3 hours ago, Goodman said:

Watching 08 shootout, Herbie embarrassing himself bragging on his boy stoops' defense in the 3rd qt. Forgot how good Chris Ogbonnaya was, I hope our RB's can be as good as this Ogbonnaya-Whittaker combo.

I loved how Musberger segwayed into the commercial break with “The Horns dropping the hammer in Dallas” after Ogbannaya’s long run in the fourth led to a TD. 

If you watch the sideline just prior to the play you’ll see a UT WR, Kirkendall?, ask Major what the play is to which Major replies “C sweep”.  

22 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

That’s ridiculously unimpressive. Slow and no moves in HS, yet he turned out pretty decent in D1 football (and even played a couple NFL seasons).

A couple? O was around the league for 8 years and playing on an active roster for 5. He was self motivated enough to develop from that HS tape.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

So, I'm currently watching the OU game from 1969, and Freddie Steinmark just picked off a pass. I'm in a serious mood today to drink the Burnt Orange Kool-Aid. This season can't get here soon enough.

Was years before I was born, but my aunt died in the same room at MD Anderson that Steinmark did.  A few weeks after he did from the same disease.  She was 20 and was beautiful.  

Brief team notes from IT

The greatest source of optimism stems from quarterback and offensive line. They love the offense in general but they feel the QB and OL give them a chance to make a credible playoff run.

As we mentioned recently, and as Scipio brought into more clarity last week, the defense is not without talent and upside despite the perceived loss of eight starters. They love the safeties and call it the deepest position on the team other than wide receiver. That should inform you that we're going to see a lot of dime and indeed, that's what we hear is the preferred defense heading into the season.

I asked a source if they could beat LSU by basing out of dime and heard back, "it looks good on paper but as the saying goes, everyone has a plan until they're punched in the mouth. They'll probably need to find a way to get bigger versus LSU, not smaller. They have plenty of small package options, some of which worked well versus Georgia on 3rd down, but I'm not sure they can run base dime versus LSU."

Linebacker is the opposite of safety with significant depth concerns and being unproven between the tackles. We know Joseph Ossai and Jeffrey McCulloch can play B-backer at a high level, but McCulloch struggled at times playing off the ball and Ossai isn't used to playing in the box. "He's an aggressive and physical player, but too antsy to make the big play. We'll see how much things have slowed down for him. He did have a good spring and obviously the coaches have asked him to be a leader. He's responded well." McCulloch is a cerebral person but tends to over-run plays. He'll be good at calling plays and getting guys lined up, but is unproven at certain aspects of linebacker. The talent is there, though.

We often mention that running backs and receivers are downstream of offensive line and quarterback play. Holding those players accountable when QB and OL is playing poorly is a waste of time because you have bigger problems. However, when QB and OL play is good to great, you can expect talented skill players to shine. That's where the team is on offense.

Wide receivers will rotate much more this season thanks to depth and guys earning playing time. I expect it to be one of those groups where a handful of guys have over 30 receptions before factoring in running backs.

"They're going to put up a lot of points and take stress off the defense. They have the best quarterback, one of the best offensive lineman, wide receiver, and running backs in the league."

We're certainly going to see a lot of 20 personnel which was a big selling point for Bijan Robinson. Sometimes that will turn into 10 personnel as one back motions out, sometimes it turns to empty. They're expecting to move the ball and score a lot of points this year.

The Louisiana Tech game will be interesting to watch because they can't afford to come out flat but also want to save a bunch of new looks for LSU. They're expecting LSU to hold back a bunch versus Georgia Southern.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Bumping... some folks really enjoying Carrington's podcast with Darin Roberts (Director of the Center for Sports Leadership & Innovation (CSLi) at the University of Texas)

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:
11 hours ago, Red Five said:
Priest played before 1998.

Off topic: priest played until 96. I was at a game around that time, but maybe 97 maybe 98. The WORST monsoon ever. I swear priest was playing but maybe not. Am I wrong on the dates?

You are one odd dude. Google it yourself. Nobody else cares. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

We are building an offensive line of extraordinary magnitude.  

We forge our spirits in the same tradition of our former lettermen.

Coach Herb is a magnificent leader.  He has our gratitude.

Let's all give Coach Herb a great big Hand! 

5 minutes ago, markstanco said:
12 minutes ago, Irieguy said:
You are one odd dude. Google it yourself. Nobody else cares. 

Yea that makes me odd not remembering the game 20 years ago if Holmes was playing or not by just making conversation like every other thread.

Not remembering is NOT odd at all. Thinking anybody cares enough to do the research for you is odd. If you aren’t going to add any content at least don’t sidetrack and hope others do your work for you. It’s odd. 

Not remembering is NOT odd at all. Thinking anybody cares enough to do the research for you is odd. If you aren’t going to add any content at least don’t sidetrack and hope others do your work for you. It’s odd. 
This bothers you? I was mentioning a major storm during a game. I didnt ask for google research jackass. But yes, very odd personality for that post.

12 minutes ago, markstanco said:
30 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

This bothers you? I was mentioning a major storm during a game. I didnt ask for google research jackass. But yes, very odd personality for that post.

Missouri I'm guessing. 

Missouri.  It was during the week of sorority rush, so lots of guys who would normally act somewhat civilized during a game because their bitches were there had no reason to do so.  That was crazy town once the rain started coming down.  Our group ran out of alcohol sometime early in the second half (pre-rain delay), it went downhill from there.

7 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Thanks. It was wrecking my evening per irguy and made me an odd person for mentioning it.

Man you are sensitive and lack self awareness. It’s odd to derail a thread on to a topic that can’t possibly lead to discussion. So now you know it’s Missouri. What does that do for anybody but you? I’m confrontational in posts and I’m aware of that and will accept criticism for that. You are so thin skinned that you act like “odd” is the worst insult ever. Toughen up. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

3 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Yet you continue to post about it.

Yes. I’m arguing with you. And I will accept any criticism of that posting style. I know some people like reading arguments and some don’t. But you acted shocked at any criticism of your posts. It’s odd.  This isn’t hornfans. 

6 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

Yes. I’m arguing with you. And I will accept any criticism of that posting style. I know some people like reading arguments and some don’t. But you acted shocked at any criticism of your posts. It’s odd.  This isn’t hornfans. 

It's like that little graffiti on South Congress people like to take pictures of.

PSX-20190729-221844.jpg