2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

1 hour ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

It's obvious to me that Todd Orlando doesn't play defense fairly. The SEC QBs are taught via textbook how to read and attack a standard NFL ready defense. Todd's boys swim around pre-play, then attack like piranha fish in a 70's schlock film when the ball is snapped. The offense might be schooled in how to run routes perfectly and the QB might know how to attack a given alignment, but Orlando's schemes defy teaching. You're just going to have to figure it out as best (and as quickly) as you can once the ball is snapped.

Jay Bateman (formerly DC at Army, now at UNC) is the other guy I would call elite in this regard. He had no choice at Army to do anything other than put his best 11 on the field and then improvise; turns out, teaching athletes how to recognize patterns and adapt on the fly is the best answer to the riddles of modern offenses, especially up-tempo offenses.

Manny Diaz has also succeeded at this notion at every stop in his career, save the one we all drink to forget.

In any event, the thing I am looking forward to the most this season is watching Orlando school LSU on their own offense, since he knows it better than they do.

Siap...

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-12-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2019.  

Texas 

"Sam Ehlinger is primed to have a breakout year. He's a dude. Pure football player. Plays hurt, plays hard, has that Tim Tebow intangible in him. Wants to be a great player. If they keep him healthy, they could break through and win the conference."

"One thing they need to do better is stretch teams out. They didn't threaten you with big explosive plays. It was a lot of 15-, 16-, 17-play drives. You have to maintain a quick scoring threat in this league because eventually everyone's defense breaks down."

"They need to bring along their running backs more if they're going to run Ehlinger and not kill him. Keaontay Ingram could be an All-American if they choose to isolate him more. If Ingram steps up they could win this conference on the ground. Tom (Herman) is not afraid of running the ball. He's shown that. He'll call 50 runs if it beats you." 

"They don't have another wideout as good as Lil'Jordan Humphrey. Him leaving early hurt their plans."

"That defense runs a lot of stuff through their secondary. They play a lot of nickel, but their corners and safeties haven't really been great. Replacing their secondary and their defensive line will be interesting. This is the year for Tom where you test your depth and your development. He can recruit, but Charlie Strong could too."  

"This team can win the conference."

"One of the things we’ve seen is how much more physical they are on both sides."

"Ehlinger could have a Heisman year."

"They’ve already shown they can rough up on Oklahoma. Can they do that and stay consistent in November? They’re really close.       

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

Siap...
"One thing they need to do better is stretch teams out. They didn't threaten you with big explosive plays. It was a lot of 15-, 16-, 17-play drives. You have to maintain a quick scoring threat in this league because eventually everyone's defense breaks down."

Wow. What an uninformed comment. Score fast in the B12, because you want teams like oklahoma to have 14 possessions and not 9.
  • Like 1

I never understood trying to limit number of possessions.  Isn't what matters efficiency, i.e. points scored per drive?  Unless you recover a bunch of onside kicks, both teams are going to have the same number of possessions.  If you both have 9 instead of both having 14, don't you have to be more efficient either way.  Unless there is some statistic that I don't know about that says that efficiency goes up with number of possessions for some teams.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Yesh said:

I never understood trying to limit number of possessions.  Isn't what matters efficiency, i.e. points scored per drive?  Unless you recover a bunch of onside kicks, both teams are going to have the same number of possessions.  If you both have 9 instead of both having 14, don't you have to be more efficient either way.  Unless there is some statistic that I don't know about that says that efficiency goes up with number of possessions for some teams.

It’s not really a possession argument, but efficiency is arguably affected by actual elapsed time, NOT game clock, between defensive series in that guys need rest. More plays total on defense could similarly wear a team down, but that should generally cut both ways if there are more possessions, I would think.

11 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Epps and Johnson are going to be match up nightmares.  Whittington and Ingraham beast.  Ehlinger knows what he is doing. The Big 12 DB's are going to lose.  This is going to be a special season.  Win them all and OU sucks plus fuck aggy.  I can't wait for the 31st. 

Plus Eagles. I don't know why we world need a tight end anymore.

30 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Momentum, rest for defense, ect...

Either way I agree. Scoring in 20 seconds beats squeezing the ball for 4 mins and not scoring. Not all see it this way.

Plus when the D NEEDS a stop they are leaving some big play open somewhere.

40 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Time of possession is definitely important. It's not the worst thing in the world to try to avoid starting a track meet with teams that have quick strike offenses (i.e. Oklahoma). The benefit of grinding it out is to give your defense adequate rest so that errors are minimized when they take the field on the subsequent possession.

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

We lost Sam in the first offensive series. That doesn’t happen and we cruise to an easier win.

That was due to poor personnel fit. This year with an ever improving offensive line and a stronger and more experienced Ingram, hopefully there will be less calls for Ehlinger to run the ball. In the event Ehlinger goes out, this year's backup should be much better than last season's backup (i.e. Casey Thompson is more mobile than Shane Buechele - thank goodness).

• Like 1

Plus Eagles. I don't know why we world need a tight end anymore.

an extra big body, in line blocker for powers and sweeps...

TE/HB was really important for the offense in that regard last season... and woefully inadequate the season before.

and if that blocking threat can actually run and catch, it amplifies the potential of the offense...

the name of the position is irrelevant, but those duties please the booties...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Snacks said:

an extra big body, in line blocker for powers and sweeps...

TE/HB was really important for the offense in that regard last season... and woefully inadequate the season before.

and if that blocking threat can actually run and catch, it amplifies the potential of the offense...

the name of the position is irrelevant, but those duties please the booties...

Collin Johnson / Devin Duvernay / beefed up O line / Malcolm Epps / Brennan Eagles 

Read Option Pass

Who the fuck do you cover and how?

The power run game is going to fucking punish with these dudes. Oh you gonna single up on the outside? Fade. Double those guys? Heh, get boxed out or finally the switch will work since DD has the speed to make the post wheel happen. Devote everyone to the pass? Healthy Ingram and Whitt gonna be able to turn that crease into 6 this year. 

Offense is gonna be nuts. Did people forget Herman at Ohio State and Houston?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

They don't have another wideout as good as Lil'Jordan Humphrey. Him leaving early hurt their plans."

Yeah, we do actually. Probably multiple.

What an awful preview. Half of that sounds like what someone would have written after 2017.

1 hour ago, Yesh said:

Not all possessions are created equal.

14 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Time of possession is definitely important. It's not the worst thing in the world to try to avoid starting a track meet with teams that have quick strike offenses (i.e. Oklahoma). The benefit of grinding it out is to give your defense adequate rest so that errors are minimized when they take the field on the subsequent possession.

That was due to poor personnel fit. This year with an ever improving offensive line and a stronger and more experienced Ingram, hopefully there will be less calls for Ehlinger to run the ball. In the event Ehlinger goes out, this year's backup should be much better than last season's backup (i.e. Casey Thompson is more mobile than Shane Buechele - thank goodness).

I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to Thompson being a better backup than Buechele. 

9 minutes ago, lulz said:

I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to Thompson being a better backup than Buechele. 

Derp, he will be, simply because he can escape the pocket when needed. Buechele has a high football IQ but our OL issues of the past have probably scarred him for life. His accuracy and awareness went downhill.

Great teammate but I'd take Casey in this offense and it being his second full year (EE).

17 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Derp, he will be, simply because he can escape the pocket when needed. Buechele has a high football IQ but our OL issues of the past have probably scarred him for life. His accuracy and awareness went downhill.

Great teammate but I'd take Casey in this offense and it being his second full year (EE).

The issue is with quarterbacks, you never know what you've got until they're thrown into a game. A lot of them end up making really bad decisions because there's just so much to process... I take a "believe it when I see it" approach with all QBs.

• Like 2

The issue is with quarterbacks, you never know what you've got until they're thrown into a game. A lot of them end up making really bad decisions because there's just so much to process... I take a "believe it when I see it" approach with all QBs.

There is a thread I suggest you read from start to finish. It’s titled “Sam Ehlinger”.
  • Like 1

I always love the debate over tempo as a tool for upsets, because it always misses the point.

The way to pull off upsets is to find one thing that you, as an underdog, can do really well, and that more talented teams don't usually have to deal with.

When spread offenses first came out, they were a great weapon for underdogs for this reason. But once more talented teams got used to them, the upsets got limited to whichever spread teams were lucky enough to get to face an SEC team in a bowl game.

There's a reason the academies have occasionally pulled off upsets with triple option football, but it isn't the pace -- it's the unfamiliarity.

Time of possession is only a great predictive tool for teams who play ball control. If you are a ball control team, and you execute well, then time of possession is predictive. Otherwise, it's meaningless.

Playing for more possessions was the sine qua non of Tom Penders' basketball. I was a huge disciple of this philosophy across all sports for a while, but the sputtering, fluttering, drunken failure of that era of Texas basketball has its football equivalents. If you're not as efficient as the other team, you'd sure as hell better get a whole lot more possessions.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

There's a reason the academies have occasionally pulled off upsets with triple option football, but it isn't the pace -- it's the unfamiliarity.

Unfamiliarity FTMFW. 

Nothing harder than playing a team with a totally different approach to their offensive attack. You really don't have time to practice enough for their single wing or triple option  craziness. Nowadays you at least have a wealth of video to watch, so you can see what others have had success with against them... but that doesn't mean you can shut them down, even when you by god know what they're doing.

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

Unfamiliarity FTMFW. 

Nothing harder than playing a team with a totally different approach to their offensive attack. You really don't have time to practice enough for their single wing or triple option  craziness. Nowadays you at least have a wealth of video to watch, so you can see what others have had success with against them... but that doesn't mean you can shut them down, even when you by god know what they're doing.

This is what scares me to death about playing LSU. SEC athletes combined with the NO Saints offense. You just can't practice enough facing a team with that much talent and a radically innovative offensive system. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

This is what scares me to death about playing LSU. SEC athletes combined with the NO Saints offense. You just can't practice enough facing a team with that much talent and a radically innovative offensive system. 

Their new offense sounds a lot like ours actually. Not a carbon copy, but similar. One contrast of note being Brady likes his WRs cross-trained to run from any of the WR positions instead of dedicated to the H, X or Z which makes it more difficult for defenses to prepare for. Also worthy of note is LSU has some tall WRs and TEs to use for difficult match-ups. Our CBs get to practice against that regularly, but practice highlights show they get beat often enough.

5 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Their new offense sounds a lot like ours actually. Not a carbon copy, but similar. One contrast of note being Brady likes his WRs cross-trained to run from any of the WR positions instead of dedicated to the H, X or Z which makes it more difficult for defenses to prepare for. Also worthy of note is LSU has some tall WRs and TEs to use for difficult match-ups. Our CBs get to practice against that regularly, but practice highlights show they get beat often enough.

tenor.gif