NFC Divisional Round - Cowboys @ Rams

DanTheHorn

So USA today says Cowboys got their most favorable match-up in the Rams:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2019/01/06/3-reasons-cowboys-should-be-rooting-for-eagles-on-sunday/38852211/

and SB Nation said Rams got what they wanted:

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/1/3/18166603/2018-los-angeles-rams-nfl-sean-mcvay-wade-phillips-dallas-cowboys-seattle-seahawks-chicago-bears

Discuss writer's points and much more. Personally I believe that to get to the Super Bowl the Cowboys are going to have to beat both the Rams and the Saints and in all probability will do neither. Prescott just can't make the wide open touchdown throws and the media keeps blaming his wide open receivers.

8944526.png

Edited by DanTheHorn

14 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Dak and the 'Boys play better as underdogs, so I bet he has a good to great game passing.  I see them beating LA and losing in the Superdome in a revenge game for the Saints. 

Yeah, this result wouldn't surprise me at all.

15 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2019/01/06/3-reasons-cowboys-should-be-rooting-for-eagles-on-sunday/38852211/

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/1/3/18166603/2018-los-angeles-rams-nfl-sean-mcvay-wade-phillips-dallas-cowboys-seattle-seahawks-chicago-bears

Discuss writer's points and much more. Personally I believe that to get to the Super Bowl the Cowboys are going to have to beat both the Rams and the Saints and in all probability will do neither. Prescott just can't make the wide open touchdown throws and the media keeps blaming his wide open receivers.

8944526.png

Why the hell do people want to assign blame to one side and absolve another? Dak's a good-but-not-elite QB who needs good protection and an elite WR to thrive. When he has those two things, he usually makes the right read, accurate enough, and doesn't make mistakes. That's what the Cowboy's offense is game planned to do. If he doesn't have those things then the Cowboy's offense is going to fucking suck. But this whole "Dak sucks" vs "No, the receivers suck" vs "No, the OL sucks" is a fucking beating and wrong on so many different levels. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

8944526.png

mainly Fox got what they wanted.

At 0:24 just lead the guy. The safety is out of position and linebacker is beat. We saw it most against Indianapolis. Prescott made up for it but we all know in championship games when they give it to you make them pay. Hell even when they don't give it to you, one must take it. Prescott just does not make the necessary throws and it is not enough for him to be a game manager. The rest of the team has what it takes to beat the Rams and New Orleans. Hope Prescott steps up but the performances this year provide little hope.

At 0:24 just lead the guy. The safety is out of position and linebacker is beat. We saw it most against Indianapolis. Prescott made up for it but we all know in championship games when they give it to you make them pay. Hell even when they don't give it to you, one must take it. Prescott just does not make the necessary throws and it is not enough for him to be a game manager. The rest of the team has what it takes to beat the Rams and New Orleans. Hope Prescott steps up but the performances this year provide little hope.

That was obvious PI, can’t believe they didn’t call it, well actually I do believe it
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

That was obvious PI, can’t believe they didn’t call it, well actually I do believe it

The point is that it would have never had to be a PI if Prescott throws a decent ball because the linebacker would have never been close enough to touch the receiver.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The throw that led to the OP picture was just so horrifically awful that it was really stunning to watch happen. It was like slow motion as I watched Prescott seize up and try to aim it like a dart instead of throwing it.

b460cf66dc6e44a26d2616fdce466b0f.gif

If just those pesky defenders would always allow the adjustment.

Edited by DanTheHorn

lulz

It was a fucking terrible throw. This is the NFL, the receiver was as open as they're going to get one-on-one in the red zone. The throw should have been on a trajectory to land at about the first down marker maybe 1-2 yards from the sideline. Prescott missed the proper spot for that throw by 10 yards. That is not an exaggeration, it was easily 10 yards too close to the middle of the field. The red circle is where that ball should have landed with air under it. The blue circle is where Prescott threw it.

image.png

Seriously. You CAN NOT throw this ball inside the numbers:

image.png

Inside the numbers was the ONLY chance that the linebacker had of making a play on it. Awful, awful throw.

Edited by Huckleberry

Nobody is saying it's the end of the world. But arguing that it wasn't a horrible pass is dumb. Not surprised you're jumping in on that side.

Gee, who would worry about their quarterback completely blowing an easy pass that should have put a playoff game away? That is definitely not something that could end up hurting the team if it's not addressed.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Oh no!! A QB didn't make a good throw on every single attempt!! Stfu. Dallas is moving on. Who gives a shit about a pass where there was blatant interference anyways. Go watch any football game. Every QB makes bad passes, no matter who they are.

I am not calling out one pass. The pass is just one example of many throughout the season in which wide open receivers were missed in critical situations. To win a championship in my view Prescott needs to do better. He has a team around him that can win it all but he needs to step it up. Ehlinger last year was fairly inaccurate on deep throws. This year he stepped it up and it was noticeable. Prescott is in year three and his throws seem to have gotten worse.

Dak's accuracy is good enough to be successful in this league. He undoubtedly needs to improve to be great and he's still young. His bigger problem is that he needs to make decisions faster. Make a throw, use your legs, or throw it away. He takes way too many sacks by being indecisive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I am not calling out one pass. The pass is just one example of many throughout the season in which wide open receivers were missed in critical situations. To win a championship in my view Prescott needs to do better. He has a team around him that can win it all but he needs to step it up. Ehlinger last year was fairly inaccurate on deep throws. This year he stepped it up and it was noticeable. Prescott is in year three and his throws seem to have gotten worse.

That was more towards the general consensus of Dak. It's not just on here. I have never seen a QB who is more criticized than he is. Yet all he has done is win games in his first 3 years. Dak let his nuts hang and won that game for us when it mattered yet people don't talk about that, they just like to dwell on the off throws. Foles and Trubisky had some god awful throws yesterday. Every QB this weekend did. 

When Dak has the ball in his hands and we need a play, I am confident.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

That was more towards the general consensus of Dak. It's not just on here. I have never seen a QB who is more criticized than he is. Yet all he has done is win games in his first 3 years. Dak let his nuts hang and won that game for us when it mattered yet people don't talk about that, they just like to dwell on the off throws. Foles and Trubisky had some god awful throws yesterday. Every QB this weekend did. 

Well, lets hope your right. If you are than this team is good enough to go all the way. I say if Prescott plays like he did against Seattle and Indianapolis with the next level of competition we will lose.

I would much rather play the Rams than the Saints. Beating the Saints twice in one year will be very difficult, especially on the road. #captainobvious

The Rams will be a tough matchup too, but I would rather lose the NFC Championship than Divisional round.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Ratings will be through the fucking roof.

For sure.  The Seattle game already increased the same game from last season from 20 mil viewers to well over 30 mil.  I suspect the same for this week.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

For sure.  The Seattle game already increased the same game from last season from 20 mil viewers to well over 30 mil.  I suspect the same for this week.

The haters sure love to hate, don't they? :)

It don't make a shit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mileslong said:

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The explanation that it looked worse in slow motion replay than it actually was live was total bull hit from the broadcast. 

Yep, and I'll contend, poor throw or not, that without the PI it would have been caught, and all this is for naught.

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

The point is that it would have never had to be a PI if Prescott throws a decent ball because the linebacker would have never been close enough to touch the receiver.

Jesus Christ, QB's underthrow balls all the time and get the benefit of a poor ball being ignored thanks to a legitimate PI getting called.  Dak didn't get that reward this time.

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

You morons are acting like he was wide ass open there or something.  Yeah, it wasn't a great throw, but there is very little, if any separation there to begin with.  Y'alls descriptions of that throw are fucking comical.

Exactly.  People act like every QB in the league makes a perfect fucking throw every time.

Yes the throw was poor, it should have been further out for him to run to it...but I truly believe that's a pretty simple catch if he's not blatantly interfered with.  In the end it didn't matter, because we have a QB who doesn't get rattled, and just drove them back down for another Score with probably his signature play of his career.

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

You morons are acting like he was wide ass open there or something.  Yeah, it wasn't a great throw, but there is very little, if any separation there to begin with.  Y'alls descriptions of that throw are fucking comical.

Well, he picked a bad time to do the back shoulder pass. 

I actually agree that Prescott gets a bad rap overall (comes with the territory of being the Cowboys QB, though). But if you're always calling for objective analysis of his performance then that includes calling shitty passes shitty passes instead of making excuses for them.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

41 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

My God there have been other Dallas QBs criticized more than him.  Do agree he did let his nuts hang when it mattered.

I also feel Brown deserves some of the blame for making a poor play on the ball. Interference or not, bad throw or not, it didn't seem like Noah did all he could to pull it in.

All in all, a pretty terrible evening for Brown--two drops on routine short passes and then that play. Pity the Cowboys' receiving options are currently so limited.

7 minutes ago, Monty86 said:

My God there have been other Dallas QBs criticized more than him.  Do agree he did let his nuts hang when it mattered.

Agreed--Romo caught way more shit than Dak, and Danny White's name is still muttered under the breath of many a Cowboys fan.

One thing Dak doesn't get enough credit for is how clutch he is. On several occasions (including the playoff loss to Green Bay), he's given Dallas a late lead or engineered a tying score, only to see the defense screw it up.

True, Dallas could avoid some of those close games if Dak played better the previous three quarters, but he's usually nails in the fourth.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I actually agree that Prescott gets a bad rap overall (comes with the territory of being the Cowboys QB, though). But if you're always calling for objective analysis of his performance then that includes calling shitty passes shitty passes instead of making excuses for them.

I don't think anyone excusing the pass.  I know I've flat said the throw was poor at best.  Doesn't change that I fully believe it would have been caught if there was no PI, called or not. And damn sure shouldn't have been picked if there was no PI.

He has to eliminate those throws.  Luckily, and as usual, he overcame it.

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Agreed--Romo caught way more shit than Dak, and Danny White's name is still muttered under the breath of many a Cowboys fan.

One thing Dak doesn't get enough credit for is how clutch he is. On several occasions (including the playoff loss to Green Bay), he's given Dallas a late lead or engineered a tying score, only to see the defense screw it up.

True, Dallas could avoid some of those close games if Dak played better the previous three quarters, but he's usually nails in the fourth.

Man I'm not so sure...I think Romo was trashed for much longer(at leas the middle 4-5 years of his career until 2014), but Dak has been getting peak level Romo hate since at least the middle of 2017.

You're right on the second paragraph, dude is just nails when it matters.  I do trust him in those situations.

And as for the "if he played better for the first 3 quarters" aspect, I think it's a function of the offense.  Bob Sturm made a good point on the radio today.  He doesn't think that Dak, and the offense, just magically flips a switch in the 4th quarter, it's just how the game is called at that point. 

Just look at when the game is close and the Cowboys are leading 6-3, or 10-6...you see nothing but conservative play calling.  Runs on first and/or second down.  A bunch of Curls, Hitches, and Comeback routes.  No pushing of the ball downfield...very little to no aggressiveness at all.

But what happens when the other team takes a lead?  Or they need to score in order to salt another team away?  All of a sudden they start playing a 2 minute offense(even if it's not within a 2 minute time frame), and Dak starts pushing the ball more...the routes become deeper and more different than before.  It actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it.  I think the Garrett/Linehan offensive game plan each week is to play exactly like they did on Saturday.  Just keep the game close until the fourth, and then go into a more typical modern day passing offense, offset by Zeke runs.

Edited by Drew

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's what the money's for.

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Well, lets hope your right. If you are than this team is good enough to go all the way. I say if Prescott plays like he did against Seattle and Indianapolis with the next level of competition we will lose.

Goff doesn't scare me.  He still hasn't proven he can win a playoff game yet. And in their playoff game last year, they looked terrible.

What the hell does the Colts game have to do with anything? You mean if you pick out the QB's worst game of the season that they won't go forward? Cool. Let's do that for every QB. So you are making my point for me. This criticism for Dak is hilarious. He's a winner. In both of his playoff games, he played very well. But hey, he missed one pass. Heaven forbid!

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Like he did against Seattle(and PLEASE don't claim that one bad INT is the reason why)?  WTF were you watching? He played well enough in that game to win any game left.  The Colts game sure.

Edited by Drew
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Dak's accuracy is good enough to be successful in this league. He undoubtedly needs to improve to be great and he's still young. His bigger problem is that he needs to make decisions faster. Make a throw, use your legs, or throw it away. He takes way too many sacks by being indecisive.

This is correct. Have liked Dak from the start in the exhibition games year one. To be great he has got to make decisions faster. He needs a qb coach other than the fuzzy faced kid.

Edited by EastTexan
  • Like 1

Dak is a winner. He knows how to win games. Does he have flaws? Sure. Every QB does. But his good outweighs the bad by far. He is never going be some light up the stat sheet, fantasy type QB but you don't need to be that to win games. If you still argue that Dak isn't a good QB, I can't take you seriously.

I never once had any doubt in the Seattle game that Dak would not get this team to win. We trailed twice and both times, Dak immediately led a TD drive on the next drive. Dropping a dime to Gallup before the half.

Dallas wins on Saturday and people will start going ape shit. Hell, there should already be a large contingent of Southern California cowboys fans in attendance. 

A Dallas-Phil. Rematch would be legendary with defending super bowl champion taking on a division rival. 

Philly just needs to take care of business against Brees and co.