2019 Top 11 Per Vegas Odds

joeycovers

22 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

seems like the best place to post this without starting a new thread:

What did Oregon do to be in the preseason top 10?
Go 5-4 in the PAC, riding a 3 game winning streak?
All because Herbert is returning....
Did winning the Redbox Bowl 7-6 over MSU impress Joel?

Dude pick UCF, or guess next years Mid-major darling to include....but Oregon?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

when was the last time a program of Texas' stature won a BCS-level bowl and didn't start the next season in the Top Ten?

That's a really good question. Obviously my first instinct would be that it has never happened. Even A&M (not our stature) was #7 in the 1999 AP preseason poll and #8 in the Coaches Poll after beating Ohio State and finishing 11-3.

Edited by Huckleberry

The biggest improvement in our W/L may come from:

1. Sam and OL were still very much works in progress coming into Maryland. Hopefully the young guys moving up have been well prepared by a year with Hand.

2. Slightly more functional depth at places like DB. Suspensions, dings, and targeting penalties are less likely to cost us quick 6s in stretches of tough games.

Our best game on our best day is already good. Not Clemson last night good, but good. Our offense will likely also benefit from the speed we are adding.

3 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

The biggest improvement in our W/L may come from:

1. Sam and OL were still very much works in progress coming into Maryland. Hopefully the young guys moving up have been well prepared by a year with Hand.

2. Slightly more functional depth at places like DB. Suspensions, dings, and targeting penalties are less likely to cost us quick 6s in stretches of tough games.

Our best game on our best day is already good. Not Clemson last night good, but good. Our offense will likely also benefit from the speed we are adding.

As amazing as Collin and LJH have been for us, it's going to be fun watching much more WR team speed get incorporated into the offense next year.  We can't just rely on jump balls down the sidelines on crucial 3rd downs.  As Ehlinger takes another step forward, watch for far more slant and crossing routes over the middle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That's a really good question. Obviously my first instinct would be that it has never happened. Even A&M (not our stature) was #7 in the 1999 AP preseason poll and #8 in the Coaches Poll after beating Ohio State and finishing 11-3.

Ohio State won that game. I watched it and saw RC punt in the 4th quarter and concede with about 6 minutes to play. Pissed me off, that dude was so conservative.

Edited by Valmy77

9 minutes ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:
I don't think A&M beat Ohio State.

Shit, you're right. I'm old and was just trying to come up with a team who probably shouldn't have been Top 10 the next year all things considered and conflated the Big 12 title game against Kansas State with the Sugar Bowl.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

They did not, but the larger point is true-- poll voters are easily distracted with shiny objects. It is rare for a program at our level to win a game like the Sugar Bowl and not start the following season in the Top Ten. I point this out just because I expect the HURRR DURRR TEXAS IS BACK AMIRITE shit to start up shortly from the predictable corners of the Internet and it's not a Texas thing; it's a blueblood thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:
6 minutes ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

Shit, you're right. I'm old and was just trying to come up with a team whi probably shouldn't have been Top 10 the best year all things considered and conflated the Big 12 title game against Kansas State with the Sugar Bowl.

how could you forget the great 1999 Sugar Bowl that Texum A&M came within 10 points of winning and everyone amembers they practically did won because Ohio State ain't SEC like Texum!!!!!!!

17 minutes ago, JBJ said:

ESPN already at it with 5 of the top 10 from the SEC:

The 2019 Way-Too-Early Top 25 http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25695788/espn-college-football-way-too-early-top-25-2019

Its exactly what is expected from Mickey Mouse-The Pimp, trotting his hos' out there before their vaginas have stopped bleeding from the last Johnny Wad that tore them up.

Mickey has money tied up with his pieces, and needs the ad money not to suffer. Just rinse with a couple bottles of Summer's Eve and SEc ready to go.

Edited by El Squared

To be honest if I were Joel Klatt I would hate Texas, so I respect his efforts to treat us fairly since he's become a broadcaster. In his last high profile game as a player we beat him 70-3 and Drew Kelson knocked him into the next week on a hit that would now be called targeting. 

10 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

As amazing as Collin and LJH have been for us, it's going to be fun watching much more WR team speed get incorporated into the offense next year.  We can't just rely on jump balls down the sidelines on crucial 3rd downs.  As Ehlinger takes another step forward, watch for far more slant and crossing routes over the middle.

If he can just start hitting open receivers with the deep ball it will change how teams defend Texas.

25 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Pretty sure they got their asses kicked in that bowl game. 

edit: I see this was already mentioned above.

Edited by Surlybastard

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

To be honest if I were Joel Klatt I would hate Texas, so I respect his efforts to treat us fairly since he's become a broadcaster. In his last high profile game as a player we beat him 70-3 and Drew Kelson knocked him into the next week on a hit that would now be called targeting. 

I've fallen in love with Joel Klatt the last couple seasons.  He's contrarian, but not in a way just to stir up controversy - he calls it like he sees it and emphasizes what the media is overlooking.

...and he knows enough about the game to pull it off.

22 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

If he can just start hitting open receivers with the deep ball it will change how teams defend Texas.

Exactly.  Once teams feel obligated to run step for step with any deep routes, the gap between the LB and deep safety zones will get wider.  Sam is already excellent on intermediate throws.  Those get easier and the YAC gets bigger with a deep threat.

Scott Frost honeymoon apparently hasn't ended. And to be fair, they were much better in the second half of the season. 4-2 in their last six with the two losses by 5 to Ohio State and 3 to Iowa. Heck, you could even include the 6th loss in the "good" stretch as they lost in overtime on the road at Northwestern.

Edited by Huckleberry