Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:55 AM, Mileslong said:

Translation: If Garrett finishes 6-10 or better he gets new contract extension because his teams don’t quit and they just had a down year due to new OC and Dak still learning and insert injury to valuable player here __________

Nah, he goes 8-8 or less he's gone.  Probably not even 9-7 saves him, regardless of Division win or not.

39 minutes ago, Drew said:

Nah, he goes 8-8 or less he's gone.  Probably not even 9-7 saves him, regardless of Division win or not.

Nope the stakes are high. You either get your ass to a conference championship or Super Bowl or gtfo. Enough of this celebrating division titles and wild card wins. The fucking Cardinals and Jaguars have gotten to conference championships in Garrett's tenure. He should have been gone a long time ago but that's water under the bridge now. How unprepared and putrid we looked yet again in a divisional round game, I would have liked to see him fired after that game. Like the Titans did to their coach last year. Wild card wins don't mean much in the long run.

42 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Nope the stakes are high. You either get your ass to a conference championship or Super Bowl or gtfo. Enough of this celebrating division titles and wild card wins. The fucking Cardinals and Jaguars have gotten to conference championships in Garrett's tenure. He should have been gone a long time ago but that's water under the bridge now. How unprepared and putrid we looked yet again in a divisional round game, I would have liked to see him fired after that game. Like the Titans did to their coach last year. Wild card wins don't mean much in the long run.

Fine with me. We finally break the curse or promote from within. 

7 hours ago, Mileslong said:

For a little off season eye candy, here is a clip of Deion scoring a TD six different ways. He may be the most exciting player I’ve ever seen and he played defense. Has to be in top five of fastest players to ever play in the NFL.

5 Cowboys in the Hall of Fame on that reverse ...jeez 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with a man named Jerry Jones. You see, he owns the team, and also plays general manager. It's ultimately up to him, and he does not think this way.

32 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with a man named Jerry Jones. You see, he owns the team, and also plays general manager. It's ultimately up to him, and he does not think this way.

Knowing Jerry, after we finish 9-7 next year and lose in the first round of the playoffs he will fire Garrett and then promote Kellen Moore to be the head coach. 

Tell me how I’m wrong. 

37 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Knowing Jerry, after we finish 9-7 next year and lose in the first round of the playoffs he will fire Garrett and then promote Kellen Moore to be the head coach. 

Tell me how I’m wrong. 

Kellen Moore strikes me as being a good little puppet, so I can see that happening. But damn if he got his hand so far up Garretts ass might be hard to shake one puppet for another.

9 hours ago, Mileslong said:

For a little off season eye candy, here is a clip of Deion scoring a TD six different ways. He may be the most exciting player I’ve ever seen and he played defense. Has to be in top five of fastest players to ever play in the NFL.

Was at that Colts game, Dallas eneded up losing on a missed FG that hit the crossbar twice before falling into the field of play. 

Hated Deion at first and the thought of Dallas signing him, but he won me over.  Loved the comercials he ran with Jerry, thought they were great...  “both”. 

Jones wants another SB before he dies, and knows his time is running out. He's gonna give his pet one more year. If Garrett doesn't get to the NFC championship, Jones will go big time on a new coach. No fucking home grown talent. I suppose if Richard showed himself to be a Defensive stud that the team responds to, he might consider that, Then of course, he'll clean house on the offensive side of the ball.

I don't think Garrett will gain any ground with new talent, so this is it for him - finally, fucking finally.

We need a strong, creative offensive mind. Kellen Moore ain't it.

22 minutes ago, Drew said:

We know jack shit about Kellen Moore.  Hard to say what he is or isn't at this point.

And no, I'm not saying he should even sniff HC next year.

Well Dak regressed once he became QB coach. Young QBs need guidance. Doesn't matter how good they were early on or in college. Look at how Goff progressed once McVay took over for Fisher. 

So if he can't even coach up his position, why the hell would you promote him to call the entire offense?

• Like 1

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

Well Dak regressed once he became QB coach. Young QBs need guidance. Doesn't matter how good they were early on or in college. Look at how Goff progressed once McVay took over for Fisher. 

So if he can't even coach up his position, why the hell would you promote him to call the entire offense?

McVay was the OC, Zac Taylor (now the HC at Cincinnati) was the QBs coach.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

McVay was the OC, Zac Taylor (now the HC at Cincinnati) was the QBs coach.

I'm talking about Moore. I know McVay went from Redskins OC to Rams HC. And he had that offense looking pretty well while there. He was still somewhat unknown but at least he had success doing his job.

Moore did not have success doing his. But yet Dallas promotes him to OC. So we at least know he could not do his previous job. Maybe he will be innovative, who knows. But as of now, its'a very weird hire. Moore is Linehan's pet toy. He hand picked him. You fire Linehan, then Moore should have been let go as well.

Yeah I'm still not laying the blame on Dak "regressing" on Moore.  If anything, it was clear as day once Amari got here it was more than just mechanics but weapons and playcalling.  Asking him to throw hitch routes and bail out on 3rd and forever after running on 2nd and forever was not a good idea for any QB, much less Dak.

We seem to pretend QB Coaches are much more important than they probably are.  Especially here where his HC and OC were probably more involved than anyone with what was going on with Dak mechanically.  Moore was someone he talked to and bounced ideas off from everything we've heard reported.

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

That’s actually why I’m kind of excited about the Kitna hire. I think he can be that guy. Dak is heading into his 4th year and for the first time in his career, he has a #1 wr. At what point do we admit that his rookie year was a little bit of fools gold and some of this is on him? I don’t necessarily put his regression on Moore. 

I'm talking about Moore. I know McVay went from Redskins OC to Rams HC. And he had that offense looking pretty well while there. He was still somewhat unknown but at least he had success doing his job.
Moore did not have success doing his. But yet Dallas promotes him to OC. So we at least know he could not do his previous job. Maybe he will be innovative, who knows. But as of now, its'a very weird hire. Moore is Linehan's pet toy. He hand picked him. You fire Linehan, then Moore should have been let go as well.

I think it’s absolutely possible to be a good play caller but mediocre position coach. I’m not saying there is anything that shows me it was a good promotion, but it’s done and I really have no option but to hope for the best. Here’s hoping he really is some sort of boy genius.

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I mean Dak really did not regress...You could say he improved from last season because he basically had the same season he had his rookie year. Now imagine if they had a Cooper from day 1 of the season. My issue is maybe this is the best Dak will be...a good qb who can win some games but will be frustrating at times. I said it last year he is McNabb 2.0...He will thread some of the prettiest passes you will ever see( like the pass against Giants for the win) but will then sail simple throws that any qb should be able to make. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, txbroadcaster said:

I mean Dak really did not regress...You could say he improved from last season because he basically had the same season he had his rookie year. Now imagine if they had a Cooper from day 1 of the season. My issue is maybe this is the best Dak will be...a good qb who can win some games but will be frustrating at times. I said it last year he is McNabb 2.0...He will thread some of the prettiest passes you will ever see( like the pass against Giants for the win) but will then sail simple throws that any qb should be able to make. 

I’ll take Donny any day of the week if it means we can sniff some of the success he experienced under Reid. 

• Like 1

Deep down there’s a part of me that hopes

to revisit this thread next January laughing about how wrong we were about Moore after then offense goes crazy this season.   But deep down I also hope to win the lotto and live with Taylor swift on my own private island and I know I have a better shot at that 

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Deep down there’s a part of me that hopes

to revisit this thread next January laughing about how wrong we were about Moore after then offense goes crazy this season.   But deep down I also hope to win the lotto and live with Taylor swift on my own private island and I know I have a better shot at that 

That's a lot better fantasy now that she's really thickened up. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, txbroadcaster said:

I said it last year he is McNabb 2.0...He will thread some of the prettiest passes you will ever see( like the pass against Giants for the win) but will then sail simple throws that any qb should be able to make. 

Sounds like Brady and Goff in the Super Bowl ... and nearly every quarterback in the league. Consistency is an issue for all.

However, I believe Dak will be more consistent with an OC who better understands Dak's strengths and weaknesses and calls plays accordingly. More timely running, for example, particularly early in a game to help get him settled.

Dak is inarguably nails in the fourth; the trick is to get him to apply that focus and precision to rest of the game.

Nothing will arise from it unless he's traded to the Cowboys. Then it would be a minimum 6 week suspension with no appeal.

NFL will investigate Antonio Brown domestic incident

Posted by Mike Florio on February 6, 2019, 12:57 PM EST

Antonio Brown wasn’t arrested after a recent domestic dispute, but he could indeed face discipline from the league.

“We will look into the matter,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told PFT via email.

By saying “look into,” the league means it will investigate. Which means that an investigation could result in a suspension of Brown.

As previously noted, this could complicate the effort to trade Brown, since his new team won’t know whether Brown will at some point be not available. It’s also not known how long will take for the investigation to resolve itself, given that the league often takes much more time than it should when getting to the bottom of a situation.

Brown’s lawyer has called the allegations “baseless and false,” but the NFL will have the final say under a standard of proof far lower than the criminal justice burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Stoops would be a terrible NFL coach at this point. He retired because the game was passing him by. I would support firing Garret but he has been at least by definition average. Stoops is in full retirement mode. His XFL hiring is for headlines only. He won’t be putting much effort into that clownshow anyway.

Yeah Stoops is a great college coach...I don't think he's better than Garrett at this point.

Say what you want Vic, but Garrett will have another job pretty quick when he's gone from here.  He does have some good attributes as a coach, and a team needing some stability will snatch him up.  We want him gone because of his flaws, but let's stop acting like he's the worst coach in the league, he's proven out that he's not anywhere close to the worst.

And for the record, I hope this is his last season too, so don't mistake me for saying we should keep him.  He's worn out his welcome long ago.

On 2/8/2019 at 7:25 PM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

LJ to replace Beasley 

There’s a big part of me that feels like we would find a way to fuck this up. A big part of the reason LJH was successful was because of his size in the slot. Dak would probably be better served with a more traditional slot that can create separation and actually get open. I think LJH is going to have a successful nfl career, I just don’t know if we’re the team to maximize his talent