Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

29 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

First, who is fucking DJ Franzel and second, I’m sure he just walked over and said “hi” and Zeke suddenly picked a fight with him for saying “hi”...

From everything I've read, he's a cockmaster that thinks he's a lot more relevant than he really is, and he absolutely hates the Cowboys.  Knows that Zeke had some history, and tried to blow him up on Twitter to damage Zeke's rep.  If Goodell does anything about this, and Zeke did, in fact, do nothing wrong, then Goodell is a bigger cockmaster than this DJ (which is likely already the case).  

• Like 2

Sean should have kicked his ass then and knocked out his teeth.... what's the NFL gonna do to him?  He either retires or if he gets suspended, fights it until his inevitable hammy pull and sits out while he would have been injured anyway.

He would have pulled a hamstring just walking over to the dj booth.

The Kellen Moore is a rising star, young genius PR tour continues:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2019/01/24/nothing-says-cowboys-kellen-moore-young-valuable-coordinator

Cowlishaw: I don’t think any regression from Dak this season had much to do with Kellen’s tutelage. In the Cowboys’ system, Linehan was the driving force in the offense and the play-caller. Now I have questioned whether Moore has the experience that Dak needs, so this change would address that. Kitna can be a better sounding board because he experienced it all as an NFL quarterback. And there’s nothing that says Moore is too young to be a valuable coordinator. He’s unproven, to be sure. He’s also the same age Sean McVay was the day the Rams hired him as a head coach. No one hailed the Rams for their brilliance that day. So I don’t put much stock in “too young” or “too old” when it comes to coaches.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article225045215.html

“You look at Kellen people say he can’t do this or can’t do that,” Prescott said. “He is the winningest quarterback in college football history. He made a career for himself in the NFL for a long time because of how he knows the game, how quick he is in processing the information, seeing defenses, learning what is happening offensively and defensively. He has got the mind for it.”

At least he's running the offense at the probowl so we'll get some indication of how good he is/isn't

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article224974480.html

Stephen Jones said the No. 1 priority in the next offensive coordinator is to have somebody who’s going to bring out the best in Prescott.

No one on the staff has spent more time with Prescott than Moore, considering they were backup quarterbacks together to start the 2016 season before he got injured and Prescott replaced an injured Tony Romo to fashion the finest rookie season of any quarterback in NFL history. Moore also served as one of Prescott’s backups in 2017 and was his quarterbacks coach in 2018.

Stephen Jones on Beasley's comments:

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones responded to Beasley’s claims Wednesday in an appearance on The Rich Eisen Show.

“I would hope that’s just his frustration but certainly not at all the case,” Jones said of the front office dictating who Dak Prescott targets. “We don’t get involved in that. The only thing we ever do is decide if we’re going to pay players a lot of money, or if we’re going to trade for players and give up big picks. We certainly hope that they would be involved if we’re going to do things like that; that there’s a reason that we’re doing it they’re going to be involved.

“But we would never dictate where balls go or things of that nature. In terms of the game plan and getting involved with what our coaching does to get ready to play the ball game. And certainly of all people, Cole is always involved in getting balls and getting catches. He’s been just an integral part of what we’re about. Certainly, he’s made a lot of big catches and key catches in games that we’ve won.”

Methinks that means you ain't getting shit from the Boys 

I'll reiterate what I said a week ago.  If he brings the concepts of the Boise offense with him then I think he's really got a chance to be good.  If he's stifled by JG's conservatism and pig-headedness then it doesn't matter who calls the plays and Kris Richard will be the HC next year. 

Let it rip Kellen

2 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I'll reiterate what I said a week ago.  If he brings the concepts of the Boise offense with him then I think he's really got a chance to be good.  If he's stifled by JG's conservatism and pig-headedness then it doesn't matter who calls the plays and Kris Richard will be the HC next year. 

Let it rip Kellen

Yep.  I think it's a win win.  GarrettTop can succeed with a new mind and new ideas, or he can hang himself.  

Y'all are in for a wake up call. The offense is going to be same as it has been since Garrett has been here. It's his offense. It's his gameplans and preparation. The OC is just going to be calling plays from the same exact list Linehan has. Nothing will be new or innovative until Garrett himself is out of here. The only thing you can hope for is better situational playcalling and knowing when to call those certain plays better than Linehan. 

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Y'all are in for a wake up call. The offense is going to be same as it has been since Garrett has been here. It's his offense. It's his gameplans and preparation. The OC is just going to be calling plays from the same exact list Linehan has. Nothing will be new or innovative until Garrett himself is out of here. The only thing you can hope for is better situational playcalling and knowing when to call those certain plays better than Linehan. 

then moore as OC should be a good move according to your logic right? He either has success and thus the Cowboys are going farther in the playoffs, or he crashes and burns and thus Garrett is fired.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I was told the offense works, all we need is better situational playcalling.  

Just now, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I was told the offense works, all we need is better situational playcalling.  

Situational playcalling is in need of an upgrade.

But we are not using our players to their strengths. At all. Zeke can be a weapon in the pass game like a Gurley or Kamara but nope. He gets a lot of catches but they are all dump offs when nothing else is open and then he goes nowhere. We don't scheme to get players open. It's a 'beat your man' offense. No creativity. 

It's the same thing as when Romo went down in 2015, the backups were told to run the same exact offense and scheme. They didn't adjust.

Why are plays not being run to utilize Dak's legs? We have made him scared to take off and run. But where are the plays designed to get him out the pocket and make the defense react?

Agreed.  That offense wasn't nearly as bad as the play calling, or situational play calling at least, made it look.  But some new overall ideas and play designs would be great.

Just go read any Sturm Article about the offense the last few weeks.  It's obvious as night and day what happens when the Cowboys have a lead, vs when they're behind.

Edited by Drew

On 1/23/2019 at 8:44 PM, DougO said:

It's my thing. I really don't give a rat's ass what anyone does with it.

Well it makes you look like a fucking dumb ass, but so do the rest of your posts. 

In other news, I rate DJs just slightly above deadbeat parents and child molesters, so if Zeke beat one up, in my mind he did the world a favor. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 1:32 PM, txbroadcaster said:

Hate to tell you but the main reason they have so much Kellan love is because Dak really likes him. I personally do not get all the Moore hate on here. QB coaches are usually not former 6 times Pro Bowl QB, they almost always are career back up QBs and journeymen QBs if they were even NFL QBs at all. They like the philosophy that they already use they just want a different voice so in all likelihood it will be someone on staff or someone with the same ideas. The scheme itself is still very sound it was the playcalling that had gone stale. I am not saying Moore is the answer at all or even that I want him as the OC but you could see this coming a mile away. 

See I found it!!

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Sadly, this is a realistic potential concern.

Oh well, hope for the best, but never forget that we are in The House That Jerry Built.

• Like 1

It seems to me that if Moore was such an innovator, or the kind of offensive genius that we need, he would have already become an integral part of the offensive game plan. Surely he talked daily with Garrett and Linehan. It seems to me if he had any substantive input on play calling or offensive tweaks, we would have heard about it by now. He would have become more of the go-to guy on big calls or important drives.

And yet this fucking offense has limped along for the last two years with almost no changes. Their use of Dak's talents has been pathetic. And as far as that goes, shouldn't the QB coach be saying Dak, you gotta take off in situations like that. Dak, you're holding onto it too long. Dak, why risk a five yard pass when the field is open in front of you for twenty yards? Dak when you see the following set, call your own number at the LOS. None of this happened. Everyone in the country knew for them to get past the Rams, Dak needed to run more. Two fucking runs.

Not buying this innovator bullshit, but it looks like we'll have to wait another fucking year before Cowboy management wakes the fuck up.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

It seems to me that if Moore was such an innovator, or the kind of offensive genius that we need, he would have already become an integral part of the offensive game plan.

Uh, did you even watch this year?  We averaged like over 20 points a game. 

20 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Zeke can be a weapon in the pass game like a Gurley or Kamara but nope. He gets a lot of catches but they are all dump offs when nothing else is open and then he goes nowhere. We don't scheme to get players open. It's a 'beat your man' offense. No creativity. 

Besides the obvious run more wheel routes with Zeke I would love to see him get some opportunities where he motions out takes a LB with him and then runs a tunnel screen.  

Get that guy the ball on the move...

Edited by Surly Bevo

19 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

See I found it!!

Well, there it is.... It must be true!!!  IMO, Linehan's scheme is beyond stale.  There's very little creativity in trying to exploit mismatches with our best players nor schematically trying to put the defense on their heels with misdirection or disguising our play calls.  The approach of relying on a bruising running game and trying to build off play action is still sound but I don't think this scheme manages it well.  The play calling is poor as well, but I think there's more to it.  We'll see how Moore/Nuss change things.  Apparently they had a lot more influence the last 8 games and obviously there were some improvements (Amari helped a lot) but we still showed our hand with our personnel packages, used little motion, rarely moved our best players in advantageous mismatches, etc, etc.

Who knows, Kellen Moore may be the next genius OC. At least the one thing he has going for him is every great NFL OC was either a horrible NFL player or not good enough to play at all. He definitely fits that mold. 

Most likely though he'll be good if his players are great and mediocre if his players are mediocre. 

Poor Jason Witten man. Having a rough time as a commentator and he actually broke the Probowl trophy handing it to Jamal Adams and Mahomes. I really hope this was the last ProBowl. Video of Witten breaking trophy: 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/worst-pro-bowl-ever-2019-game-gets-terrible-reviews-on-twitter/ar-BBSOxPs?li=BBnba9I

witten is now a gif sad. 

Edited by Nicole44

Poor Jason Witten man. Having a rough time as a commentator and he actually broke the Probowl trophy handing it to Jamal Adams and Mahomes. I really hope this was the last ProBowl. Video of Witten breaking trophy: 
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/worst-pro-bowl-ever-2019-game-gets-terrible-reviews-on-twitter/ar-BBSOxPs?li=BBnba9I
witten is now a gif sad. 
Nothing new. Witten is a terrible announcer and has been made fun of all season.

We'll see if he improves any in year 2.

37 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, youdunnf said:
Lol not sure if serious. You’re not being serious, are you?

Totally serious. I spent my Sunday tuning into a pointless game and studying Moore's play calling and grading him.

Grading the Pro-Bowl playcalling?!!! Lol.  C’mon bro.  That whole game is a pointless clown show 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Grading the Pro-Bowl playcalling?!!! Lol.  C’mon bro.  That whole game is a pointless clown show 

Lmao. That post was totally sarcasm, man. I didn't even watch the game at all. I haven't watched a second of the Pro Bowl in over a decade. Game needs to be done away with or made into 7 on 7. You can't play football half speed like they do. 

Edited by Vic Mackey

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao. That post was totally sarcasm, man. I didn't even watch the game at all. I haven't watched a second of the Pro Bowl in over a decade. Game needs to be done away with or made into 7 on 7. You can't play football half speed like they do. 

Just double checking.   I didnt watch it either other than to see it was raining and that they had defenders playing WR and Alvin Kamara playing DE at some point