Texas recruiting notes 2019

40 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Just passing along what I've been hearing, but it sounds like UT really cooled off on Wilson and he basically didn't have an offer by the time he committed to OSU. Herman is big on Texas guys who love Texas (and good kids who graduate) and Wilson didn't really check off those boxes. Look for UT to start looking at some higher character Texas kids in the Brock Fitzhenry mold now that they have moved on from Wilson. 

tumblr_ma628lRwNr1rcg3xpo1_500.gif

51 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Just passing along what I've been hearing, but it sounds like UT really cooled off on Wilson and he basically didn't have an offer by the time he committed to OSU. Herman is big on Texas guys who love Texas (and good kids who graduate) and Wilson didn't really check off those boxes. Look for UT to start looking at some higher character Texas kids in the Brock Fitzhenry mold now that they have moved on from Wilson. 

I want guys who want to be at Texas. Because, technically, they would need to sign a letter of intent to play at Texas at some point.

2 hours ago, Nowhichski said:

LT's seems like a somewhat reasonable position. Hard to know about how GG was developed or not. Fact is, he showed some moxie in trying to mount a comeback against Alabama in his first big moment of playing time. Then he was shite. But so was the coaching staff. I could well imagine he was not given the guidance and instruction he needed. And I could also see LT's point of view on subsequent recruits. UT has ignored the LT QB Factory at its own peril. 

No. It's a bizarre assertion and falls apart under even the lightest scrutiny.

Michael Brewer - Can't find his 247 profile, but according to Rivals, we did in fact offer him. Our QB take in 2011 was David Ash who was on his way to being just fine until concussions ended his career.

Baker Mayfield - Only offers per 247 were Florida Atlantic, New Mexico, and Rice. Again, he originally walked on at Tech. What he eventually become is irrelevant to this discussion - he was not considered an FBS prospect by anyone.

Dominic Delira - Ended up at Iowa State which is listed as his only offer per 247. Then transferred to Juco apparently. To be fair, our QB recruiting this cycle was a disaster and we ended up with only Kai Locksley and Matthew Merrick. I guess if you want to be mad that we didn't supplement those two with a guy that couldn't stick at Iowa State, go right ahead.

Charlie Brewer - Ended up at post-scandal Baylor. Next best offer is hard to say, because they all suck. Southern Miss? SMU? We had Sam Ehlinger locked in for this entire cycle, so....okay.

Matthew Baldwin - One of the most bizarre offer lists I've ever seen. Obviously tOSU, then after that the next best offer is probaby Iowa or UNC. We landed both Cam Rising and Casey Thompson early in the cycle.

Hudson Card - TBD

The original assertion was that people at LT feel that the "only one that wasnt an upgrade to who Texas took is DeLira". The only guy on that list that you could conceivably begin to make that argument about is Michael Brewer (who came out of LT seven years and two Texas staffs ago), and that's only if you think he was obviously better than David Ash (I don't).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

No. It's a bizarre assertion and falls apart under even the lightest scrutiny.

Michael Brewer - Can't find his 247 profile, but according to Rivals, we did in fact offer him. Our QB take in 2011 was David Ash who was on his way to being just fine until concussions ended his career.

Baker Mayfield - Only offers per 247 were Florida Atlantic, New Mexico, and Rice. Again, he originally walked on at Tech. What he eventually become is irrelevant to this discussion - he was not considered an FBS prospect by anyone.

Dominic Delira - Ended up at Iowa State which is listed as his only offer per 247. Then transferred to Juco apparently. To be fair, our QB recruiting this cycle was a disaster and we ended up with only Kai Locksley and Matthew Merrick. I guess if you want to be mad that we didn't supplement those two with a guy that couldn't stick at Iowa State, go right ahead.

Charlie Brewer - Ended up at post-scandal Baylor. Next best offer is hard to say, because they all suck. Southern Miss? SMU? We had Sam Ehlinger locked in for this entire cycle, so....okay.

Matthew Baldwin - One of the most bizarre offer lists I've ever seen. Obviously tOSU, then after that the next best offer is probaby Iowa or UNC. We landed both Cam Rising and Casey Thompson early in the cycle.

Hudson Card - TBD

The original assertion was that people at LT feel that the "only one that wasnt an upgrade to who Texas took is DeLira". The only guy on that list that you could conceivably begin to make that argument about is Michael Brewer (who came out of LT seven years and two Texas staffs ago), and that's only if you think he was obviously better than David Ash (I don't).

LSU was recruiting Baldwin. At least they were while Canada was there. 

Brewer was a good prospect that I would have been fine taking as a QB2

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Cool, none of that changes the insane revisionist history going on by the Lake Travis doofuses.

Probably not even revisionist. They probably consistently overrate their own players and are honestly confused when others don't share that sentiment. 

Good luck to GW though, hope he fares better in college than the last 5-star kid from Lake Travis named Garrett. 

Edited by Atticus

Not a big fan of Lake Travis presently.  You have the dueling blowu douchebags B.Mayfield and T.Young and now this trash talking Bucknut.  And to boot you had LT throw Mayfield a heisman celebration ceremony at the Hill Country Galleria (Bee Cave right outside of Austin) last week.  Douchebags.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We can't let our Offer-to-LOI ratio get too low. That is one of those key analytical thingy's that measures the success of a program.

mack-brown.jpg

9 minutes ago, texaslong said:

Don't they have underground tunnels built on campus cause it's to cold to get out during the winter? Yeah... good luck with that. 

Are there any other kind?

Just checking!

edit: Undersea tunnels (like Chunnel)... but that wouldn't make any sense in Blohio...amite?

Edited by PHLaggie

19 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Not a big fan of Lake Travis presently.  You have the dueling blowu douchebags B.Mayfield and T.Young and now this trash talking Bucknut.  And to boot you had LT throw Mayfield a heisman celebration ceremony at the Hill Country Galleria (Bee Cave right outside of Austin) last week.  Douchebags.

It's alright. Hudson Card will unite the LT gang under the burnt orange banner.

Gotta be referring to Higgins and Gunnell which is fine since we can deal without Higgins and we aren't actively recruiting Gunnell. If we win this year, and assuming we pick up some other high level wr's, i would rather us not circle back to this guy.

Instead I hope this serves as an example not spurn the hometown team and this is the last of Ohio State pipeline from Texas. When we beat them in 2022/2023 (if not before in CFP) I want to see his tears.

5 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Gotta be referring to Higgins and Gunnell which is fine since we can deal without Higgins and we aren't actively recruiting Gunnell. If we win this year, and assuming we pick up some other high level wr's, i would rather us not circle back to this guy.

Instead I hope this serves as an example not spurn the hometown team and this is the last of Ohio State pipeline from Texas. When we beat them in 2022/2023 (if not before in CFP) I want to see his tears.

So with Gunnell URBN will get to bitchslap both UT and A&M in one go. dang it.

still hoping Gunnell doesn't end up there. He may not go to A&M (after that DMN article quoting him, that seems more certain now than ever) but hopefully he doesn't go to OSU either. May be oSu...

Edited by PHLaggie

4 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Probably Curry too, who we also aren't recruiting 

1 minute ago, PHLaggie said:

So with Gunnell he'll get to bitchslap both UT and A&M in one go. dang it.

still hoping Gunnell doesn't end up there. He may not go to A&M (after that DMN article quoting him, that seems more certain now than ever) but hopefully he doesn't go to OSU either. May be oSu...

For UT fans, the ideal (realistic) landing spot for Gunnell is probably Arkansas.

Just now, Machinator said:

For UT fans, the ideal (realistic) landing spot for Gunnell is probably Arkansas.

And I think Perroni is the one that keeps mentioning possibility of Okrahoma State...which is fine by me (similar to how Arky would be best for you guys). Either of those places works...hopefully he can't make waves at either that would affect/effect/defect either UT or A&M, as the case may be.  I know folks here are expecting Arky to beat A&M this year due to the Chad revenge factor, but I think that might not happen.

• Like 1

(siap)

Bevo Nuggets: Recruiting scoop from The Opening Dallas

— Yes, Texas is going to keep pushing for him, but right now, Converse Judson defensive lineman and priority target DeMarvin Leal is off the board. The popular question has obviously been: what’s next? Well, Texas has been pushing hard for Wichita Northwest (KS) defensive lineman Marcus Hicks. I am told the Longhorns are making a lot of headway here and sit around the top of his list. This one has a little bit of a Daniel Carson feel to it. However, Oklahoma and Michigan are in better positions at this time. In fact, I put in my Crystal Ball pick for OU. Still, there is plenty of time for Texas to keep chipping away here. Oscar Giles needs to keep turning up the heat.

— Speaking of defensive line recruiting, we are continuing to hear extremely positive buzz in the recruitment of four-star defensive end/outside linebacker NaNa Osafo-Mensah as his May 19 decision quickly nears. Osafo-Mensah already used his official visit to Notre Dame, and we have reason to believe Texas still holds the edge. And that means the Longhorns are in a prime position to simply put an exclamation mark on this recruiting when they host him for an official visit this weekend. A source close to his recruitment told me Osafo-Mensah fell in love with Texas on his visit earlier this offseason and sees himself as a fit from the student side of things as well. I spoke to Osafo-Mensah’s mother, who made it clear to me that academics is the No. 1 factor in this recruitment. And while Notre Dame certainly fits what they are looking for, Texas offers a great education closer to home. Another thing Texas is doing in this recruitment that is going unnoticed is having Herman win over his high school coach, who joined Osafo-Mensah on his most recent visit.

— After talking to sources close to his recruitment, there is no doubt in my mind that Texas has the edge for four-star wide receiver Dylan Wright. Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer has done a great job with Wright over the last couple of months as has Texas Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington. Texas head coach Tom Herman has also been extremely involved here and has impressed Wright’s father. With all this said, Wright’s recruitment is far from over. He is firm on his January timeline, and Arkansas remains a big threat. A source close to his recruitment told me Arkansas wide receivers coach Justin Stepp has done the best job recruiting him out of any college coach and is doing a terrific job with Wright’s mother. Texas needs to keep its foot on the gas pedal in order to fend off the Razorbacks.

— I also feel like Texas has the lead for four-star defensive back Jalen Catalon. But much like Wright’s recruitment, this one still has a ways to go. As we reported this weekend, Catalon doesn’t plan to make a decision until January and is firm on that timeframe. While Texas appears to be at the top, Arkansas is a school that really has Catalon’s attention. Arkansas head coach Chad Morris has been personally recruiting Catalon, and he is excited about the future of the program. Catalon also loves Clemson — though, it may be too far away from home. UT’s biggest weapon is the baseball angle. Catalon is determined to play both sports at the next level, and he loves what the Longhorns offer on the diamond. Catalon has also built a really close bond with Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar.

— Speaking of Naivar, he has remained hard at work in the recruitment of four-star safety Demani Richardson. We have been told that Richardson has made plans to visit Texas on multiple occasions this offseason but that they’ve fallen through each time. Richardson told me he has no plans of seeing Texas at this time, and right now, I believe him. I am told that a key family member wants Richardson to stick to his commitment at Texas A&M and has advised him not to entertain Texas or any other schools. Still, Naivar will keep working on this one.

— Two recruits Naivar is really having success with in the 2020 class are Hebron safety Darius Snow and Duncanville safety Chris Thompson. Snow showed up to the event sporting Texas gloves and has made several trips to Texas this offseason. While he has family ties to Michigan State and is looking hard at TCU and a few out-of-state programs, Naivar has built a great relationship with Snow and is really winning him over. I am close to putting in my Crystal Ball for Snow, who is ranked as the nation’s top safety. Texas A&M seemed to be moving the needle for Thompson, but Texas has recaptured momentum there. Thompson is coached by Reggie Samples, whose son is new Texas assistant Ra’Shaad Samples. Both Naivar and Samples are doing great work with Thompson.

— Let’s get down to business in the trenches. A big question on everybody’s mind is: where do the Longhorns stand with four-star Arkansas offensive tackle Stacey Wilkins? According to a source close to his recruitment, Oklahoma and Texas are the two teams to beat here — by a good margin. Oklahoma does have the edge with Wilkins going into his Texas official visit this weekend, but Herman personally did a terrific job of negating some of the Sooners’ momentum. Texas will roll out the burnt orange carpet on Friday and hope Herb Hand can work some magic. Keep in mind that Texas does have a secret weapon in recruiting staffer Jake Langi, who is doing a fabulous job with Polynesian prospects.

— Texas has regained momentum with four-star offensive lineman Branson Bragg. He absolutely loved his visit to Texas last weekend and now feels comfortable with Hand. Bragg arrived in Austin early for the spring game and actually got to spend a couple of hours of 1-on-1 time with Hand. Bragg really likes his coaching resume and personality. Bragg is a great student in the classroom, and Stanford poses a major threat, but distance is a factor here. And we have reason to believe Texas has the clear edge over Texas A&M when it comes to in-state schools.

— Shifting back to defensive line recruiting, Texas is in the mix for elite out-of-state prospects Ishmael Sopsher and Nathan Pickering. Both want to visit Texas at some point this offseason and are keeping in contact with Giles. Sopsher and Pickering described Giles as ‘funny’ but want to develop a better bond with him. With all this said, both are long shots at this time. I’ve been told that Alabama and LSU are the frontrunners for Sopsher, while Pickering wants to play in the SEC.

— One of the biggest surprises of the event was LSU running back commit Tyrion Davis having legitimate interest in Texas. Like we reported this weekend, Davis made a secret visit to Austin earlier this offseason and is forming a bond with Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton. Davis loves LSU, and we’ve heard he’ll likely stick with his commitment. But this is certainly an interesting development, nonetheless. Don’t be surprised if Davis makes another trip to Texas this summer as UT, from what we understand, is exploring taking two backs in this class.

— Speaking of Louisiana natives, Texas is set to play host to five-star cornerback Derek Stingley this weekend. We have been told that LSU is his frontrunner at this time and that Florida is in second place. However, Texas is firmly holding onto that third spot and could improve its stock on his official visit. The Texas program has always intrigued Stingley, and this will be his first visit under the watch of the new staff. Big 12 Recruiter of the Year Jason Washington is building a better and better relationship and will look to use some of that vaunted Texas pixie dust this weekend.

— Four-star 2020 Oklahoma running back commit Jase McClellan made his way to Texas for an unofficial visit last weekend. McClellan got an in-depth look at the program and got to spend some quality time with Drayton. While he gave the Sooners a verbal pledge, McClellan hasn’t been shy about exploring other options. McClellan loves the Texas program, is the cousin of former Texas running back Jonathan Gray, and his mother is high on the Longhorns.

— With Garrett Wilson off the board, Texas could extend some more wide receiver offers this week. Mehringer is stopping by to see Baylor commit Jaylen Ellis on Monday, and a scholarship is possible. But this won’t exactly be a slam-dunk. Ellis has been waiting on a Texas offer for a while and now feels like a secondary option. If Texas goes down this road, it will have to play catch-up, as Ellis isn’t over the moon about the way the process has played out.

— Texas recently put an offer on the table for 2020 Lake Travis quarterback/athlete Hudson Card. The Longhorns are the early frontrunners in this recruitment as Card lives close to campus, has visited on a cumber of occasions and grew up watching Texas. It’s unclear how long Card wants to wait things out, but Texas should feel very good about where it stands.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DeweyCox said:

Geez, can any of you morons manage a post without spelling at least one word wong.

Wong? Toby Wong. Toby Chung? Fucking Charlie Chan. I got Madonna’s big dick coming out of my left ear and Toby the Jap... I don’t know what...coming out of my right

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Now who's whoring for points?

UTlaw be like:

giphy.gif

What can I say? Whores gonna whore.  

I figured this thread could use a little levity after the repeated kicks to the groin that was reading this board over the weekend.  Oh and reading Bruh Man pretty much anytime:

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

SMH this shit has got to stop gottdamnnit.