Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

28 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Herbstreit on ESPN this morning talking about how the Big 12 is the future of the NFL. This wave of spread offenses in the NFL has to help us against the usual SEC pro-ready sell.

It's amazing, and its going to help us out by making Lincoln Riley the most wanted man in the NFL and bite aggy in the ass for hiring a coach who runs a dinosaur offense and make recruiting against them easier.

32 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Herbstreit on ESPN this morning talking about how the Big 12 is the future of the NFL. This wave of spread offenses in the NFL has to help us against the usual SEC pro-ready sell.

10 Texas HS QBs starting this weekend

Brees

Luck

Stafford

Dalton

Tannehill

Mayfield

Mahome

Carr

Keenum

McCoy

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fud said:

He might be the best OL prospect in the state 

Hookfin is super athletic and has a huge amount of upside.  I definitely want him in this class.  But your statement is ridiculous.

Johnson, Green, and Bragg are better prospects.  Hookfin's run blocking is going to need a lot of work.  He's got the body, explosiveness, and athleticism to get there in the end, but it's not a done deal.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Hookfin is super athletic and has a huge amount of upside.  I definitely want him in this class.  But your statement is ridiculous.

Johnson, Green, and Bragg are better prospects.  Hookfin's run blocking is going to need a lot of work.  He's got the body, explosiveness, and athleticism to get there in the end, but it's not a done deal. 

He's more athletic than all three of those mentioned, and has by far the best chance of sticking at tackle. He has the length and athleticism to reach block, block at the secon level, and pull, along with pass protecting against edge rushers. His improvement from the previous hudl to the new one is considerable. The primary criticisms like strength and technique are easily fixable. All three of those mentioned have their own warts as well, with perhaps the exception of Bragg, who's a stud. 

Buy his stock like you would in retrospect for Cosmi 

39 minutes ago, Fud said:

He's more athletic than all three of those mentioned, and has by far the best chance of sticking at tackle. He has the length and athleticism to reach block, block at the secon level, and pull, along with pass protecting against edge rushers. His improvement from the previous hudl to the new one is considerable. The primary criticisms like strength and technique are easily fixable. All three of those mentioned have their own warts as well, with perhaps the exception of Bragg, who's a stud. 

Buy his stock like you would in retrospect for Cosmi 

Oh, that's all...just strength and technique?

Strength is fixable. Technique is another thing entirely.

Am I happy to get him? Absolutely. Is he the best OL prospect in Texas today? no. 

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

Oh, that's all...just strength and technique?

Strength is fixable. Technique is another thing entirely.

Am I happy to get him? Absolutely. Is he the best OL prospect in Texas today? no.  

They're easier to fix than athleticism and height/length

Edited by Fud

1 minute ago, Fud said:

They're easier to fix than athleticism and height/length

100% the truth. He has the thing you can't learn and has the opportunity to learn the tough stuff. 

He is a huge ceiling, low floor guy who hopefully can contribute and for the first time in many years I actually believe we have the potential to actually develop guys among the OL!

26 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Talk on USC board is Tufono is about to decommit.  Is he someone we'd circle back to or have we moved on?

We are going to have problems gaining enough space based on who we are already in on. I would take him, but the staff might have higher priorities. Hell, they might be thinking about Bru in the LB spot so Caleb, Floyd, Tillman, Gbenda and Bru.

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

100% the truth. He has the thing you can't learn and has the opportunity to learn the tough stuff. 

He is a huge ceiling, low floor guy who hopefully can contribute and for the first time in many years I actually believe we have the potential to actually develop guys among the OL!

I actually think we're all three on the same page, we're just having different debates:

You and I are in agreement that Hookfin is a high upside prospect.  He's not the kid you would go after first out of everyone in Texas, but you definitely try to sign him, stash him, and develop him, in hopes that he's a world beater in 2-3 years.

Fud's argument, it appears, is that Hookfin is the Texas prospect most likely to be highest drafted into the NFL at the end of his career.  That's a totally different discussion than what his career will look like at Texas (and whether he'll be a better college lineman than, say, Bragg or Tyler Johnson).  It's a defensible one, especially this far out.  It's just a much less relevant discussion to a bunch of Texas fans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Love the prospect but I do have to wonder, often, just how shitty are HS oline coaches? Do you take a big kid like this and decide to teach him nothing because he is big and will eventually just bowl over everyone?

I don't mean this film alone necessarily but most of these HS oline films portray big boys with day 0 technique. In their defense, oline is imo one of the most technical positions in football. Too often, it looks like they haven't got a lick of teaching.

14 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I actually think we're all three on the same page, we're just having different debates:

You and I are in agreement that Hookfin is a high upside prospect.  He's not the kid you would go after first out of everyone in Texas, but you definitely try to sign him, stash him, and develop him, in hopes that he's a world beater in 2-3 years. 

Fud's argument, it appears, is that Hookfin is the Texas prospect most likely to be highest drafted into the NFL at the end of his career.  That's a totally different discussion than what his career will look like at Texas (and whether he'll be a better college lineman than, say, Bragg or Tyler Johnson).  It's a defensible one, especially this far out.  It's just a much less relevant discussion to a bunch of Texas fans. 

Less "he'll be drafted the highest" (which he probably will), and more "he has the best chance to make it as a stud offensive tackle". Perhaps I should rephrase it to "best tackle in Texas"? Green looks like a swing guy to me, and Johnson while a mauler needs a lot of work in pass pro, and could even potentially be a monster guard if he's blocked at tackle, although both are obvious takes. Bragg is the cleanest prospect of the bunch, but I don't prioritize interior only guys as much as tackles. 

6 minutes ago, pacman said:

Love the prospect but I do have to wonder, often, just how shitty are HS oline coaches? Do you take a big kid like this and decide to teach him nothing because he is big and will eventually just bowl over everyone?

I don't mean this film alone necessarily but most of these HS oline films portray big boys with day 0 technique. In their defense, oline is imo one of the most technical positions in football. Too often, it looks like they haven't got a lick of teaching. 

I believe Hookfin has only been playing for a couple of years 

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Less "he'll be drafted the highest" (which he probably will), and more "he has the best chance to make it as a stud offensive tackle". Perhaps I should rephrase it to "best tackle in Texas"? Green looks like a swing guy to me, and Johnson while a mauler needs a lot of work in pass pro, and could even potentially be a monster guard if he's blocked at tackle, although both are obvious takes. Bragg is the cleanest prospect of the bunch, but I don't prioritize interior only guys as much as tackles. 

I think you're using "prospect" in its truest definition (what they can be), and others are using the term as how we relate to it in recruiting (what you know you're getting). Maybe Green and Johnson look like the better tackles/OL right now coming out/going in, etc..., but what you're obviously saying is that Hookfin has the higher upside, and is likely to be the better player by the time this class wraps up its college careers. 

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I think you're using "prospect" in its truest definition (what they can be), and others are using the term as how we relate to it in recruiting (what you know you're getting). Maybe Green and Johnson look like the better tackles/OL right now coming out/going in, etc..., but what you're obviously saying is that Hookfin has the higher upside, and is likely to be the better player by the time this class wraps up its college careers. 

Not necessarily. I value guys more who I think will make the biggest impact in college, not where they get drafted, although the two can correlate, and that can take some projecting 

14 minutes ago, pacman said:

speaking as an oline  / d-lineman  in texas 5-a and NAIA in the 80's they dont teach shit. you hit the sled, you practice plays. but especially on the oline, i was never taught any kind of technique. none

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

Not necessarily. I value guys more who I think will make the biggest impact in college, not where they get drafted, although the two can correlate, and that can take some projecting 

That's basically what I'm saying. By the time their college careers are over. What they did.