Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

4 minutes ago, coachkiss said:

I hate that because there is a good chance he never plays again.  I really can't see anyway that he doesn't have some issues from this long-term.  I'm no doctor, but I've just never seen it.  Any doctors in here?

Kind of not the big issue right now, dude. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, coachkiss said:

I hate that because there is a good chance he never plays again.  I really can't see anyway that he doesn't have some issues from this long-term.  I'm no doctor, but I've just never seen it.  Any doctors in here?

Happened to my mother. She's never gotten quite back to 100% - gets out of breath easily and has nasty headaches sometimes. I think it's much better that he's younger, though.

1 minute ago, Not a Sock said:

Can he still come to Texas on scholarship and get his degree even if he can not return to football?

Yes, but let’s hope he can still pursue all of his dreams.  OL in the Mack era collapsed on the field with a heart issue his sr. year, couldn’t play and we honored the scholarship.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, coachkiss said:

If he makes it through this alive and with a good prognosis, I'll call it a win. Think he and his family would, too.

• Like 4

Depending on what they mean by blood clot in the brain and surgery, this could have been a full-on craniectomy or a percutaneous thrombectomy by interventional radiology. Either way, the key to his future will be how much brain died before intervention. Unless he had very minor tissue injury and/or amazing recovery, next season may be done, and football.

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

Depending on what they mean by blood clot in the brain and surgery, this could have been a full-on craniectomy or a percutaneous thrombectomy by interventional radiology. Either way, the key to his future will be how much brain died before intervention. Unless he had very minor tissue injury and/or amazing recovery, next season may be done, and football.

What he said... prayers to the young man

3 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

To piggyback on your post, given his age there is a good chance he might be on anticoagulant therapy for life to prevent further clots. Football is a contact sport and any trauma will be a risk for bleeding, so that is definitely in jeopardy.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 1

I’m not a doctor but my family is medical. Also had some personal experience with this with both friends and family. You can recover fully (don’t know about to football shape) but there are a thousand variables- how quickly he got into surgery being most important, location, size, etc. Need to just say some prayers for the kid. Hook em.

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

To piggyback on your post, given his age there is a good chance he might be on anticoagulant therapy for life to prevent further clots. Football is a contact sport and any trauma will be a risk for bleeding, so that is definitely in jeopardy.

Yeah, thanks. I forgot to mention blood thinners. Probably minimum one year of zero contact, best case.

51 minutes ago, coachkiss said:

Let’s hope he recovers and can live a normal and long life.  

IT on Georgia Tech grad transfer OL Parker Braun:

Here's what I've gathered on the recruitment of All-ACC graduate transfer Parker Braun from Georgia Tech:

• Herb Hand called Braun within an hour after seeing Parker's name in the portal. "I'll fly to Atlanta this weekend. Let's get together." Hand wasting no time tells you a lot about how they view Parker.
  • It's been conveyed to Braun that Texas is just a guard away. Just one, huh? That's a good sign.
  • It's pretty much a two-horse race between UT and UF, with Braun's parents seemingly more excited about Texas. Braun's dad, a hard-nosed old school o-line coach, is very impressed with Herman beating OU at U of H and at UT. There is already some familiarity with Herman as the Braun's visited U of H while living in Hallsville. They already like Herman from that meeting. Warehime, from his time as U of H's o-line coach, actually put in a good word for Parker to Hand.
  • The Florida visit this weekend is more of a unofficial visit for Josh, Parker's talented brother in the 2020 class. Florida is pushing P. Braun on the chance to play center. They've told him they need his intelligence and motor. Parker will be paying close attention to their OL coach and S&C coach. Dad knows about the OL coach, John Hevesy, from Parker's and his eldest brother Trey's recruitment by Auburn. He'll likely take a Florida official visit but if Texas blows him away UF likely won't be able to out-maneuver the Horns.
  • Miami has been mentioned in passing but the feeling is if they're going to jump on an airplane it might as well be to Austin.
  • The UT visit is indeed Feb 15th. Josh won't make it due to a scholastic event, the Braun's would have to pay his travel expenses, but if UT lands Parker, expect them to make a run at his highly rated younger brother.
  • Parker's Masters will be in History and Anthropology.

So, this one escalated pretty quickly. Things are shaping up well for Texas to land Parker, though it isn't quite a done deal.

• Like 7

This is heartbreaking for Derrian Brown and his family. Sure we were excited to see him play, but the whole focus and projection of his next few weeks, semester, following 4 to 5 years after that have completely changed for him and his family.

My heart goes out to him and his family. This is just... wow. 😞

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Assuming he graduates HS this year, college will likely be pretty close to home. Momma would be well advised and will likely be highly motivated to keep him close to home.

I don’t foresee any local schools offering him a full-ride now. If he wants his education paid for, it’s probably UT or nothing.

Based on my research (huffing paint and watching low budget Eastern European sci-fi movies) there is a very good chance that this surgery makes Brown a super genius and/or bionic man. I think the real question is not if he plays football again, but whether he uses his new found powers for good or evil. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Prayers up for Derrian. I hope he can lead a normal life and graduate from college. 

But what's the move the at RB? 2 scholarship RBs obviously isn't going to work. 

JWhitt was already going to be starting spring in the RB room 

Also thank god for the early signing period for Derrian. I'm glad he signed already so the University can definitely honor his scholly. I hope he's ok. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

Has Darwin Barlow signed? Grasping at straws here.

ctj has dropped some Feaster hints. That's going to be a tough recruitment. I imagine every SEC school expect for Bama and UGA will be after him, plus most of the southern ACC schools. And then there's the possibility of Dabo talking him out of transferring on the tarmac. He's a darned good player, but a lot would have to go right for him to transfer to Texas. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding Parked Braun, Texas wants him badly and they’ll gladly figure out something with his brother too. Braun thinks he needs to be in an offense that passes in order to be taken seriously as an NFL prospect. He wants a big brand to do it. 

He looks like the best grad transfer option of the ones I’ve seen. First one that really moved the needle for me. Hope we can land him and his brother. I like that their dad is an OL coach, too. 

1 minute ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

I don’t foresee any local schools offering him a full-ride now. If he wants his education paid for, it’s probably UT or nothing.

We don’t have good enough information to know what his prospects are even for graduating HS. I hope he is well enough to do so and recovering sufficiently to go to school out of state. Heck, I hope he returns to football and tears it up for us someday. But if my son had to be on eliquis for cerebral thrombosis, I’d rather he initially took cc classes close to home than flew on airplanes and hung out with who-knows, halfway across the country.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding Parked Braun, Texas wants him badly and they’ll gladly figure out something with his brother too. Braun thinks he needs to be in an offense that passes in order to be taken seriously as an NFL prospect. He wants a big brand to do it. 

I posted in the 2020 thread, but his brother is a pretty high rated OL recruit.

https://247sports.com/Player/Joshua-Braun-83391/