Texas recruiting notes 2019

14 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’m fine with the Tyler take. I’d like to see what happens with him after time with Yancy. 

My impression is that he's another long term OT in this class that we were going after Andrew Coker for.  The more of those the better.  Hope we didn't wait too long to offer.  He's a big ole cuss.

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Any word about the current recruitment of Parker's younger brother Joshua? Nahlin had posted some time back that the staff were willing to take the Braun brothers as a package deal. I was wondering how that factors into the discussions this weekend.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest from the younger brother. He's probably staying in FL. They aren't really a package deal because they probably won't play together. Per OB. 

19 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Commercial brokerage 

chicken brisket

cunt breath

cowa bunga

cheap blowjob

chones bonitas 

chowder bubble

cool beans

charcoal briquette

carolina barbecue 

church bells

crash bandicoot 

Save this list for aggypedia....I think it would make a good reference.  I'm thinking more will be added to this list!

Eric Nahlin: Parker Braun and the offensive line

As we know the Georgia Tech graduate transfer interior lineman is making his long awaited official visit to Austin this weekend. He and his parents should be touching down at Bergstrom in a couple of hours.

With the departures of Patrick Vahe and Elijah Rodriguez, Herb Hand is looking to replace two solid, experienced seniors. Junior Angilau and Denzel Okafor represent a more physically talented pair, but talent is only part of the equation. The staff would love to add some experience as well as talent.

The staff caught a break with the availability of Calvin Anderson last season, and might catch another one as UT's biggest offensive need may again be filled via "free agency." 

Braun is also considering blue blood suitors in the form of Florida and Ohio State, with the Gators representing the biggest threat.

Earlier this week it leaked that Braun was amenable to red-shirting, learning the new system, and then playing his final year in 2020. From what I can gather, that notion generated from the Brauns and may just be them thinking out loud, though it is a real consideration. The idea didn't come from Texas as far as I know.

UT's preference would likely be for Braun to play this season, however if he wanted to red-shirt that would be fine as well. I bet they'd be willing to work with whatever Parker wants to do, assuming he picks Texas.

My best guess would be if he plays this year he'd be a starting guard, if he played next year he'd be your starting center. But that's me thinking out loud.

Looking ahead, the Longhorn offensive line is going to be in much better shape in 2020 than it will be in 2019. 

To wit, Sam Cosmi will likely be a stud left tackle playing his final year, though he'd have one year left; the guard situation will look much improved over this season; Tyler Johnson will be in year-two; and Christian Jones will likely be your starting right tackle if his rate of development holds. That means Derek Kerstetter could very well help bridge the gap at center from Zach Shackelford to one of the 2020 signees. If not him, then perhaps Rafiti Ghirmai with another year of development.

I'm all aboard the staff doing whatever it has to do for there to be no holes in the 2020 roster, but looking at things realistically, he's likely a bigger need in 2019.

First thing is first, they have to impress him this weekend with a full-bodied sell of academics, ability to ready him for the NFL, and the chance to win big.

The academic, strength and conditioning, and 4EVER Texas (life after football) presentations to be held tomorrow should give the Brauns quite a bit to think about.

Jeff Howe: Texas hopes to see trend of impactful early enrollees continue

For recruits who made the decision to enroll early at the college of their choice, the advantage that comes with being in the strength program for a full semester, getting to go through 15 practices and adjusting to college life before their fellow signees is hard to quantify. When it comes to the benefit of getting recruits on campus as semester early has meant for Texas, look no further than the current roster to see how enrolling for the spring can greatly benefit an incoming recruit.

Collin Johnson (2016), Zach Shackelford (2016) and Sam Ehlinger (2017) are current starters who were likely more prepared than their classmates to play right due to going through spring practice. Johnson played in all 12 games as a true freshman and made one start, Shackelford started 10 games and was a Freshman All-American and Ehlinger made six starts at quarterback in his first campaign with the Longhorns.

There have been some tremendous early-enrollee groups to ascend on the Forty Acres, but few have had the impact the early enrollees had in 2018. Outside of Mikey Grandy (medical retirement) and Cameron Rising (transfer to Utah), the other seven Longhorns getting ready to go through their second spring are poised for big roles in 2019. Injuries limited what Ayodele Adeoye and Brennan Eagles could do as true freshmen. Adeoye managed to redshirt and is going to compete for a starting linebacker spot this spring (likely replacing Anthony Wheeler at Mac) while Eagles can continue to be the primary backup to Johnson at X receiver or use his vertical speed to get into the rotation at Z receiver.

Casey Thompson learned the offense last spring, so jumping back into running only the Texas playbook after serving as the scout team quarterback last season shouldn’t make for much culture shock. Ryan Bujcevski needed to get used to the shock of kicking in front of a live rush, something he got to do last spring before a season where the Prokick Australia product gradually improved.

Anthony Cook, B.J. Foster and Caden Sterns were all on campus last spring and all were in the two-deep by the end of spring practice. With Kris Boyd and Davante Davis out of eligibility and preparing for the NFL Scouting Combine ahead of the 2019 NFL Draft and Brandon Jones missing spring practice after undergoing ankle surgery this week, those three should be taking up three spots in the starting secondary when spring practice begins with one cornerback spot (likely Jalen Green) and the nickel position (most likely Josh Thompson) needing to be filled out alongside them in the base nickel look Todd Orlando prefers using.

Can the 2019 group of spring enrollees make as big of an impact as last year’s group? It will be tough considering Cook played on virtually every special teams unit and started one game at cornerback, Foster emerged as the team’s best blitzer and had a featured role at the Joker position, Sterns was a Freshman All-American and first-team All-Big 12 selection and Bujcevski did an admirable job solidifying a huge hole created by the early departure to the NFL by his cousin (Michael Dickson).
De'Gabriel Floyd will get a chance to compete for a starting linebacker spot right out of the gate this spring. (Photo: Drew Patterson, 247Sports)

Nevertheless, Texas has a few candidates who could set themselves up for major roles in the fall based on what they do this spring. Texas, hopefully, won’t need to press Roschon Johnson into significant duty in 2019. If Johnson can redshirt without being rushed onto the field then the quarterback room has a chance to be even stronger in 2020 than it’s set up to be during the coming season with Thompson entering his third spring and Johnson entering his second behind Ehlinger, who will be entering his final season with the Longhorns.

The combination of speed/athleticism and length Peter Mpagi and Marcus Tillman Jr. bring to their respective positions is intriguing. Both could wind up redshirting, but Tillman is the kind of player who could wind up being a significant contributor on special teams if the coaches deem it necessary to get him on the field (Adeoye, for example, played in the four games he was allowed to and still keep his redshirt by contributing on special teams in 2018).

Jared Wiley is a developmental tight end with upside who can be stashed away given the bodies the Longhorns have at the position. He’s an intriguing prospect because of his size and the functional athleticism as a high school quarterback and as a baseball player. As far as the other six enrollees are concerned, they could all wind up being players of consequence in the third season of the Tom Herman era on the Forty Acres.

The Longhorns need linebacker help with Jeffrey McCulloch returning for his senior season accounting for the only in-game experience to speak of at either of the two inside linebacker positions. De’Gabriel Floyd and Caleb Johnson will compete with McCulloch and Adeoye for the right to be atop the depth chart at both Mac and Rover with Orlando preferring to train his inside linebackers at both spots in order to make sure he’s always got the best possible combination of players on the field.

Jacoby Jones will look to find his way into a defensive line rotation that remains deep despite the three starters up front from the 2018 squad needing to be replaced. Jones was said to have gained 10-15 pounds within the first couple of weeks he was in the strength program with Yancy McKnight and if his on-field production matches what he’s done in workouts, it’s conceivable the Longhorns could be upwards of five deep (Jones, Ta’Quon Graham, Malcolm Roach, Marqez Bimage and Moro Ojomo) at end with Jamari Chisholm and Daniel Carson possessing the tools to play multiple shades.

Tyler Johnson finished the 2019 recruiting cycle as the No. 9-ranked offensive tackle prospect in the country and he’s got a significant ceiling to speak of playing out on the edge. That said, the 6-foot-5-inch, 308-pounder could help the Longhorns immediately at guard where the loss of Elijah Rodriguez and Patrick Vahe to graduation and the potential departure of Patrick Hudson (taking time away from the team to figure out his next move) has made things uncomfortably thin with Derek Kerstetter representing the only significant measure of guard experience.

As important as Floyd, Caleb Johnson, Tyler Johnson and Jones could be at their respective positions, Bru McCoy and Jordan Whittington have the potential to completely change the outlook of the offense for the coming season. That’s what separates them from what appears to be a crew of newcomers who can legitimately help the Longhorns win games. If McCoy is granted immediate eligibility for the 2019 season then he becomes a plug-and-play option to step in for Lil'Jordan Humphrey as a big, physical slot receiver who can create matchup issues in favor of the offense.

McCoy showed throughout his time as a high school player for a Mater Dei (Calif.) program that’s one of the best in the nation when facing some of the best competition that he possesses a high football IQ, strong hands and both the ability and willingness to handle the ball in traffic and play to and through the contact that made Humphrey a special player for the Longhorns. Any projection for McCoy obviously hinges on whether or not he will be eligible to get on the field, but if he’s lining up in the slot in a personnel grouping with Collin Johnson, Devin Duvernay and Keaontay Ingram there’s a chance the offensive might not skip a beat and could even more potent than it was last season.

Whittington will get a crack at playing running back, a position where the Longhorns don’t really know what they can count on beyond Ingram, who is reportedly up to 219 pounds. The good thing about Whittington getting to get his hands on the ball from the backfield is that even if he does wind up moving back to the slot, the work he gets as a running back will better prepare him to play a position that with game-breaking talents like Jake Smith and Mookie Cooper in the pipeline is about to be used in much different manner than it was through Herman’s first two seasons on the job.

Herman’s first 27 games leading the Longhorns have seen outstanding returns from the investment of getting prospects to enroll early. If the 2019 group and equal or better the contributions of their predecessors, a lot of the depth chart-related questions ahead of the coming season should be answered emphatically by the time the dust settles.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

Eric Nahlin: Parker Braun and the offensive line

Reveal hidden contents

As we know the Georgia Tech graduate transfer interior lineman is making his long awaited official visit to Austin this weekend. He and his parents should be touching down at Bergstrom in a couple of hours.

With the departures of Patrick Vahe and Elijah Rodriguez, Herb Hand is looking to replace two solid, experienced seniors. Junior Angilau and Denzel Okafor represent a more physically talented pair, but talent is only part of the equation. The staff would love to add some experience as well as talent.

The staff caught a break with the availability of Calvin Anderson last season, and might catch another one as UT's biggest offensive need may again be filled via "free agency." 

Braun is also considering blue blood suitors in the form of Florida and Ohio State, with the Gators representing the biggest threat.

Earlier this week it leaked that Braun was amenable to red-shirting, learning the new system, and then playing his final year in 2020. From what I can gather, that notion generated from the Brauns and may just be them thinking out loud, though it is a real consideration. The idea didn't come from Texas as far as I know.

UT's preference would likely be for Braun to play this season, however if he wanted to red-shirt that would be fine as well. I bet they'd be willing to work with whatever Parker wants to do, assuming he picks Texas.

My best guess would be if he plays this year he'd be a starting guard, if he played next year he'd be your starting center. But that's me thinking out loud.

Looking ahead, the Longhorn offensive line is going to be in much better shape in 2020 than it will be in 2019. 

To wit, Sam Cosmi will likely be a stud left tackle playing his final year, though he'd have one year left; the guard situation will look much improved over this season; Tyler Johnson will be in year-two; and Christian Jones will likely be your starting right tackle if his rate of development holds. That means Derek Kerstetter could very well help bridge the gap at center from Zach Shackelford to one of the 2020 signees. If not him, then perhaps Rafiti Ghirmai with another year of development.

I'm all aboard the staff doing whatever it has to do for there to be no holes in the 2020 roster, but looking at things realistically, he's likely a bigger need in 2019.

First thing is first, they have to impress him this weekend with a full-bodied sell of academics, ability to ready him for the NFL, and the chance to win big.

The academic, strength and conditioning, and 4EVER Texas (life after football) presentations to be held tomorrow should give the Brauns quite a bit to think about.

I think Braun can cut it here, and we win his services by a whisker.

I suspect many of us (myself included) will have a grand ole time mixing up Tyler Johnson and Willie Tyler in the years ahead.

Do we have any recruits named Tippecanoe? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Take Braun AND Proctor. Only take Tyler if we don’t get the first two. 

Generally agree on getting both, but the staff probably wants to make sure Braun's in the boat and knows he's got first crack at the job before mixing in another GT.

Edited by texifornia

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Generally agree on getting both, but the staff probably wants to make sure Braun's in the boat and knows he's got first crack at the job before mixing in another GT.

Maybe. But it's not that hard to see a scenario where you have both Braun and Proctor lining up at the same time. 

6 minutes ago, DontTaseMeBro said:

Tyler should be looked upon as a 2019 high school recruit. He’ll need a redshirt season. 

I’m just saying that any reference to coffee this morning might be because Tyler committed.

You just speculating?

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

He's raw and needs a year of conditioning 

Yeah, got that. I meant just speculating about who the commit is- guy with 0 posts deciding to jump in on this particular commit could actually know something... or may not.

3 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Maybe. But it's not that hard to see a scenario where you have both Braun and Proctor lining up at the same time. 

I was told that it was impossible to get 2 GT on the OL and the Tyler wasn’t a take and the Braun redshirting was the dumbest idea ever.