Texas recruiting notes 2019

EJ after dark: More key stops coming up for UT staff

— The Texas staff will be on the road this week. And yes, I am told that they will be by Austin Lake Travis in the next day or two to see four-star wide receiver Garrett Wilson and new 2020 athlete offer Hudson Card. Ohio State is set to be there as well as this key recruiting battle with Wilson wages on. Again, I haven’t heard anything for me to switch my Crystal Ball pick from the Buckeyes, but the longer this goes on, the better for Texas. The Longhorns are going full court press here.

— Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar is hitting the road tomorrow and will make his way up to Dallas-Fort Worth to see a pair of key defensive back targets. Naivar will spend part of his day at Mansfield Legacy to see Jalen Catalon. Naivar will then check out his baseball game at night. The two are building a strong relationship, and Texas is surging in this recruitment. Naivar will also see Darius Snow, the nation’s top 2020 safety recruit.

— For the most part, coaches will keep the same recruiting territories that they had last cycle. So where does Herb Hand fit into the equation? I am told that Hand will be responsible for helping out with recruiting in Dallas-Fort Worth, which has become more of a priority area for the Longhorns this cycle. The DFW metroplex is home to key offensive line targets like Branson Bragg and EJ Ndoma-Ogar. Hand will also recruit in Oklahoma, specifically Tulsa, an area that he is very familiar with.

— I accidentally left it out of my run down of today’s stops, but Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando did stop by Westlake (Calif.) to see four-star Texas outside linebacker commit De’Gabriel Floyd, who was on campus this weekend for the spring game. Floyd is completely solid to the Longhorns and is working hard to help them lure more top talent from the West Coast.

• Like 5

E.J. Holland: Updates on Jalen Catalon

— Four-star defensive back Jalen Catalon currently has a Top 5 of Arkansas, Clemson, Ohio State, TCU and Texas. Catalon does not have any official visits scheduled and plans to make his decision at some point in January.

— I still feel confident in my Crystal Ball pick for Texas. The Longhorns made another huge impression on Catalon this weekend on his surprise unofficial visit. Catalon is developing a strong bond with Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar and feel comfortable in Austin. It's looking more and more like he wants to stay closer to home, and Texas is taking advantage.

— Playing baseball at the next level is also a big factor for Catalon. And Texas has made it clear that he would have the opportunity to do just that in Austin. Catalon took in a Texas baseball series on a visit earlier this offseason and got to meet with the baseball staff over the weekend. UT's tradition on the diamond really has his attention.

18 minutes ago, satyanash said:

EJ after dark: More key stops coming up for UT staff

Reveal hidden contents

— The Texas staff will be on the road this week. And yes, I am told that they will be by Austin Lake Travis in the next day or two to see four-star wide receiver Garrett Wilson and new 2020 athlete offer Hudson Card. Ohio State is set to be there as well as this key recruiting battle with Wilson wages on. Again, I haven’t heard anything for me to switch my Crystal Ball pick from the Buckeyes, but the longer this goes on, the better for Texas. The Longhorns are going full court press here.

— Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar is hitting the road tomorrow and will make his way up to Dallas-Fort Worth to see a pair of key defensive back targets. Naivar will spend part of his day at Mansfield Legacy to see Jalen Catalon. Naivar will then check out his baseball game at night. The two are building a strong relationship, and Texas is surging in this recruitment. Naivar will also see Darius Snow, the nation’s top 2020 safety recruit.

— For the most part, coaches will keep the same recruiting territories that they had last cycle. So where does Herb Hand fit into the equation? I am told that Hand will be responsible for helping out with recruiting in Dallas-Fort Worth, which has become more of a priority area for the Longhorns this cycle. The DFW metroplex is home to key offensive line targets like Branson Bragg and EJ Ndoma-Ogar. Hand will also recruit in Oklahoma, specifically Tulsa, an area that he is very familiar with.

— I accidentally left it out of my run down of today’s stops, but Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando did stop by Westlake (Calif.) to see four-star Texas outside linebacker commit De’Gabriel Floyd, who was on campus this weekend for the spring game. Floyd is completely solid to the Longhorns and is working hard to help them lure more top talent from the West Coast.

Surprised no mention of the coaches heading down the road to see Leal.

14 hours ago, crash_davis said:

collin johnson, he's our top target.  oh shit, he gets double teamed on most plays.  maybe i should design some fucking plays to create some space for him so he doesn't get blanketed every time.  or use that double team to draw routes for someone else to run into the space vacated by the double team.

Ok I'm the first to admit I don't have time to watch in depth film as much as others here, but is he really double teamed most plays? Maybe at 6'5" 220, he's just not the most explosive mover, has trouble getting separation and the QBs aren't confident enough to throw balls up to him for contested catches repeatedly.  Especially when they know their job isn't 100% secure and they can be yanked at any time.

"Why did you throw that to Collin?  He was covered!"

This isn't the NFL where that's a valid play. It actually requires more skill and accuracy to throw those 50/50 balls than we're thinking.

In fact the CJ "lack of consistency" could just be that the better corners on our team, or others, can cover him up.  Just a thought.  

8 minutes ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

It would be really interesting to see how these coaches from opposing schools interact with each other, the recruit(s), and high school personnel while on visits.  How often does it happen that they cross paths while on campus?  

It happens on a daily basis theres a pool of 400 kids that the top schools are recruiting. 

37 minutes ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

It would be really interesting to see how these coaches from opposing schools interact with each other, the recruit(s), and high school personnel while on visits.  How often does it happen that they cross paths while on campus?  

olyphant-theofficeintro.gif?w=650

• Like 1

10 hours ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Updates on Branson Bragg

Hide contents

— Branson Bragg loved his visit to Texas. On a scale of 1-10, I would give Texas a 10 for its efforts. The Longhorns really made Bragg a priority, and he got to spend a couple of hours with Herb Hand, which was a big priority going into the visit. Bragg also loved the spring game atmosphere and what he saw out of Hand as a coach. I think Texas has regained the pole position in this recruitment.

— Bragg's father is a huge Texas fan and really loved going out to Austin for the spring game. It was actually his first time going out there with Bragg, so it held special meaning to him. Bragg's grandfather also tagged along for the trip, and I think the Longhorns did a terrific job of making them all feel like family.

— Stanford is the biggest threat in this recruitment. Bragg is a high academic kid and loves what the Cardinal have to offer from an education standpoint. Bragg has been out to Stanford for an unofficial visit and is developing a good friendship with Walker Little, who hosted Bragg when he was in Palo Alto. I feel like Bragg is a little timid on heading out-of-state, but Little is certainly helping Stanford's efforts.

— I talked to Crandall head coach Joe Dale Curry for a few minutes after practice. Curry raved about Bragg as a player and as a student and said he would be a big success wherever he lands. Curry, a Texas A&M grad, is fond of the Texas program and spoke highly of Tom Herman and Herb Hand. In fact, Curry called Hand one of the best offensive line coaches in the country.

A kid named Branson Bragg from Crandall, Texas coached by Joe Dale Curry doesn't sound like a Stanford type. But I guess that's why you don't judge a book by its cover.

• Haha 1

A kid named Branson Bragg from Crandall, Texas coached by Joe Dale Curry doesn't sound like a Stanford type. But I guess that's why you don't judge a book by its cover.
Know how I know Joe Dale Curry is going to be excommunicated from the Collie Station cult?

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, recruiting is just business.  Not like the coaches typically take it personal so of course they interact.  Hell, Brewster was in Austin at the Spring Game for Mack's after party in the Stadium.

You obviously didn't watch Herman's presser after we lost Chaisson to LSU on signing day.

5 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

It's really not though. utfan87 and punctuation are more like mortal enemies than friends.  At a bare minimum, they're certainly not on speaking writing terms. 

I mean, shit, that's not saying much.  Utfan87 isn't on writing terms with anyone or anything.  His posts are like reading the first section of The Sound and the Fury.

Edited by Katfid54

1 hour ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Naming your kid after a 2020 recruit? Bold strategy Cotton.

Yes, but we're talking about Hudson freakin' Card, man.  He has had children named after him for several generations before he was born. That's how much of an athlete he is.  Some say that he's faster than Teddy Lehman and that his father is known as the Frank Sinatra of Lichtenstein. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, recruiting is just business.  Not like the coaches typically take it personal so of course they interact.  Hell, Brewster was in Austin at the Spring Game for Mack's after party in the Stadium.

Neither are friends of the program.

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Yes, but we're talking about Hudson freakin' Card, man.  He has had children named after him for several generations before he was born. That's how much of an athlete he is.  Some say that he's faster than Teddy Lehman and that his father is known as the Frank Sinatra of Lichtenstein. 

Is this a thing y'all are gonna try to do? It'd be a lot better if we just stopped doing this thing. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

WHOA! NO ONE is faster than Teddy Lehman! 

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

He brought the fireworks so we could be as lit as the station for one evening.  He should’ve gone ahead and brought GDGD and Gerg with him for the Low-T convention.

Edited by ShowmeyourTDs

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Nobody is faster than Teddy Lehman except for maybe Teddy Lehman.

IT

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

After wrapping up a productive spring with the guys in Austin, the Texas coaches hit the road yesterday. Here's a few stops and more.

- Coach Beck and coach Mehringer visited Lake Travis this morning to see Garrett Wilson and Hudson Card. Beck also flew out to California yesterday to see 2020 Mater Dei QB Bryce Young. I expect an offer soon.

- Coach Naivar is in DFW to see Jalen Catalon (Mansfield Legacy), Darius Snow (Lewisville Hebron), and Chris Thompson (Duncanville) this week. He saw Snow this morning.

- Coach Hand is supposed to see Branson Bragg (Crandall) and EJ Ndoma-Ogar (Allen), then possibly Houston for Johnson (Conroe Oak Ridge), Shepherd (North Forest), and Green (Humble Atascocita) next week.

- Coach Orlando is in Cali to see Texas commit DeGabriel Floyd (Westlake Village), Bru McCoy and Chris Steele (Mater Dei), then will check out Justin Flowe (2020 LB), who picked up an offer.

- Coach Giles will see UT pledge T'Vondre Sweat (Huntsville) this week. He missed the Spring game due to personal matters. Giles also stopped in Kansas yesterday to see 4-star DE Marcus Hicks.

- Coach Warehime will head to Chandler, Arizona to visit TE Brayden Liebrock this week.

- Coach Meekins and/or coach Mehringer will see Austin Bowie WR Elijah Higgins this week.

- Coach Drayton stopped by IMG Academy to see Noah Cain and Trey Sanders yesterday. We fully expect Sanders to visit Texas this summer or this fall.

West Mesquite's Dylan Wright will get a visit this week. Unsure from whom, but Texas is still the lead dog in this recruitment.

Because of the number of recruits UT hosted last weekend, they'll see a few of those in the coming weeks.

I'll be at Port Neches-Groves tomorrow to catch up with Roschon Johnson, then hitting Newton to see the stable of D1s. Then Lufkin on Thursday to visit with their seven D1s.

RECRUITS REACT POST-SG

DARIUS SNOW (2020 offer): "Man, I loved it. The people, the players, the coaches, everyone made me feel at home. I had a phenomenal time. I just enjoy being in the city. Whenever I do come, Texas always shows a lot of love and, in a sense, it feels like home."

CHRIS THOMPSON (2020 offer): "It was wonderful."

MYLES SLUSHER (new offer, 2020): "The visit was real good, love it down there. It was just like when I walked in the environment was great... definitely somewhere I would want to play. The coaches keep it at all times and about business.

RAFITI GHRIMAI (UT '18 signee): "Really nice. Got to see my brothers again. Can’t wait till may. [Coach Hand] is intelligent with teaching us our stances and has a high football IQ in general."

ZACH WILLIAMS (new offer, 2019): "The family atmosphere, the genuine feeling that the coaches truly care about the players as they develop into young men and the style of play on the football field. I liked it all. I believe Texas football is headed in the right direction under the leadership of Coach Herman. I could see the buy-in from the players. The fans that showed up for the game told me that the state of the Texas football is very strong. Watching the style of play of the hybrid OLB/DE is something I would strongly consider."

AKINOLA OGUBIYI (2020 OL): "It went really well. The people at Texas really stand out for sure. The fan base was strong. It was a great atmosphere."

KHALAN GRIFFIN (2020 QB/ATH): "This weekend was a blast for me, this was the first time my entire family came along. The coolest part was my little nephew and nieces got badges with their names on them and got to come out on the field. It’s truly a great time every time I go. Seeing the team on-field really motivates me to train and grind harder. This year I plan to study the game and become a sponge my motto this year is 'it’s not about what you can’t do. Focus on what you can do and control. There’s an opportunity in everything and every game, compete every game, every practice and every play and never stop learning.' My dad once told me that 'the game will teach you everything you need to know if you willing to embrace your faults and make the change. Focus on what you can control and don’t worry about the rest.'"

CHAD LINDBERG (new offer, 2020): "I enjoyed everything I saw. It really looks like they have a good thing going there. It was awesome to be a part of that...All of the ones I’ve visited stand out. After a visit I like the school more. I need to visit as many as I can before I will really have some stand out, but Texas was impressive, no doubt."

CALVIN ANDERSON (new Texas OL): "(Watson) is a high priority, so I want to help as much as possible with getting him to see the value of being a Longhorn for his last year. I figure he and I share the uniqueness of our position as graduate transfers, so likely I can bring a perspective that others can’t that will hopefully make Texas seem more appealing to him in his assumed pursuit of the NFL. I enjoyed the game, Lil’Jordan Humphrey looked electrifying at receiver. I’m glad I’ve been able to attend so many practices this spring because it’s allowed me to see the real growth over the past few weeks in the team. Very excited to be at Texas."