Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Damn this is a deep class now with the adds of these OL.

What do you think is the biggest “miss” vs needs right now? 

With the unfortunate medical issues RB looks to be the major weak spot, but we have all seen me bitch about needing a GT at RB... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

With the unfortunate medical issues RB looks to be the major weak spot, but we have all seen me bitch about needing a GT at RB... 

RB, even before Brown's condition, was the obvious weak link.

Just now, Modessit said:

On these grad transfers - when they "commit", are they signing letters of intent or anything to make them locked in? Or is this just like a recruit committing before NSD and can change their mind at anytime up until they actually enroll?

The second one. They're usually pretty sticky commitments, though. By this point most grad transfers are over the drama (though Calvin Anderson definitely played it up a bit).

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The second one. They're usually pretty sticky commitments, though. By this point most grad transfers are over the drama (though Calvin Anderson definitely played it up a bit).

Yeah, I think the one's who were not really pursued out of HS will play into the drama more, especially if they are not from a Power 5 school.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They're grown ups making a business decision.  Much less likely to change than a HS kid with a bigger emotional component to the choice.

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

Think the biggest miss vs needs is definitely RB with Brown's unfortunate situation. Ingram is a beast, no proven difference maker after him. After RB I would say we could've used a JUCO/grad guy at either CB or ILB. Not lacking talent at either position but rather experience. Green and Cook are two guys who should be solid, but also will experience the growing pains normal with an inexperienced D1 CB. After them two, Boyce didn't look too great last year so depth could definitely be an issue. Prayers up for Green and Cook to stay healthy. At LB, Floyd or even Johnson may play early, but lacking experience again with Mcculloch and Ossai being the only guys who have gotten legit PT. Coulda used a grad transfer or Lakia Henry for sure. 

2 minutes ago, hornsup10 said:

Think the biggest miss vs needs is definitely RB with Brown's unfortunate situation. Ingram is a beast, no proven difference maker after him. After RB I would say we could've used a JUCO/grad guy at either CB or ILB. Not lacking talent at either position but rather experience. Green and Cook are two guys who should be solid, but also will experience the growing pains normal with an inexperienced D1 CB. After them two, Boyce didn't look too great last year so depth could definitely be an issue. Prayers up for Green and Cook to stay healthy. At LB, Floyd or even Johnson may play early, but lacking experience again with Mcculloch and Ossai being the only guys who have gotten legit PT. Coulda used a grad transfer or Lakia Henry for sure. 

Johnson is an ILB. Hard to get multiple good JUCOs at a position. Henry was bought and paid for, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Also hard to find good JUCOs at cornerback, period, especially ones who can be convinced to come in and compete with borderline five-star cornerbacks in Cook and Green.

Edited by Machinator

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Also hard to find good JUCOs at cornerback, period, especially ones who can be convinced to come in and compete with borderline five-star cornerbacks in Cook and Green.

D'shawn Jamison's moving back to defense too, yes?  We've got talent there.  And talented depth.  Time for them to step up.

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Johnson is an ILB. Hard to get multiple good JUCOs at a position. Henry was bought and paid for, and there's nothing we can do about it.

This is true. Hard to nitpick a top #3 class + Braun lol. But if I had to pick a "what if" Juco or Transfer pick up based on needs for the 2019 season it'd be Rb #1 and then ILB and CB just based on depth and returning experience. 

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I have my doubts about Jamison contributing at cornerback in his first season back on defense. 

He would be fine in man. He has some learning to do in zone although he does have the entire spring and summer to learn.

Justin Wells on Kenyatta Watson:

Texas ‘19 signee Kenyatta Watson II (Grayson, GA) will be at UT on March 28th-April 14th. 

The first week is his spring break. The next is just available time since he’s taken care of most of his senior course work. 

KW2 will attend practices, meetings, and soak up everything in the DB room. 

This kid will show up as close to an early enrollee without actually enrolling early. 

Watson wants to be as prepared as possible. He knows he’s got a chance to play early. 

Anthony Cook has one spot on lock. Jalen Green and Kobe Boyce will battle for the other corner. I’m hearing this will be a big spring for Green, who is expected to take the next step. He’ll need to with Watson looking over his shoulder.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Ive seen a couple of videos of him doing extra work w a trainer. If hes not ready,  it won't be for lack of trying. 

Yeah, extra exercise and drills isn't the problem. It would probably be missing a year of coaching at the specific position, a year of film study he missed, and oh yeah, actual collegiate game experience at said position on the defensive side of the ball. He'll be trying really hard running in the wrong direction. Playing him on offense last year was stupid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, extra exercise and drills isn't the problem. It would probably be missing a year of coaching at the specific position, a year of film study he missed, and oh yeah, actual collegiate game experience at said position on the defensive side of the ball. He'll be trying really hard running in the wrong direction. Playing him on offense last year was stupid. 

Yeah, shifting him to offense robbed him of a development year he desperately needed at DB.

On the other hand, we may not have won the K-State game without his punt return TD.

Just now, satyanash said:

Yeah, shifting him to offense robbed him of a development year he desperately needed at DB.

On the other hand, we may not have won the K-State game without his punt return TD.

...which he probably could have done if he was a DB, too.

That was a generally mystifying choice, for sure.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The staff saw his speed and figured he could offer something from the HWR spot because of it. Unfortunately that doesn't matter when you can't execute a jet sweep and Jamison can't run routes except for a shallow cross that one time.

Did Jamison play both ways in HS? Seems like the scenario you're describing is something the coaches should have seen coming. IDK

He played the slot but more as part of a package, he was money on short yardage. Not sure if it’ll show this year but his skills at DB we’re special in HS and the all star game. Reminded me of the honey badger. If TO needs to take on TE’s and lineman, not sure he’s ready but he has ball skills.

SIAP.... Good earlier article (Feb 19th) on why Parker wanted to transfer vs stay at GaTech

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/parker-braun-explains-his-rationale-for-transferring/5zYjJ3VSBJkMCa7frUcgLL/

"When asked to explain his decision, grad school was the first reason that Braun gave. Braun has been serious about his education, three times earning academic All-ACC honors. He’ll graduate in May with a degree in literature, media and communication. He wanted to pursue a master’s in a liberal-arts field, and his choices at Tech were not to his liking. Braun said he’d like to study anthropology and has an idea of becoming a community-college professor when his football career is complete."

Transferring also “was an opportunity to play on a different team and test myself and my limits and see how good of a player I can be,” he said. “It’s also an opportunity to get more film against an entirely different schedule.”

Braun, 6-foot-3 and 280 pounds, said he needs to gain strength and weight to play in a pro-style offense. (Braun is working out at Tech by himself at the Campus Recreation Center, slinging weights with the student body.) Braun said he’s also considering a switch to center, which may help his NFL prospects. Guards are typically bigger than centers.

Braun said that he’ll make his decision based on the schools’ grad-school programs, strength programs and fit with coaching staff and team.

“As I keep meeting people and talking to coaches and current players and stuff, just seeing what the best fit is – those are really the big three that’ll sort of come into play,” he said.

Edited by LTtxfan

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

Both Calvin and Tre were solid once they committed though.  Now that Braun and Willie are committed, I don't foresee anything changing.

29 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Any one have any data on the number of GTs that announce post-Spring? RB-specific numbers would be even better. Then we should argue over expectations.

Most guys last year made it known they’d be a GT prior to spring ball, including Watson and Anderson. The odds of a quality GT at RB announcing after spring ball aren’t high. I had a previous post that’s showed Watson was basically the only good GT RB on the market last year.

but I’m sure if anyone who’s even halfway decent announces, the staff will be after them.

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Whenever anyone ever mentions that they eat a less-than-healthy breakfast, I think of this skit. From one of the first couple of seasons and still one of the all-time greats. 

That skit will never not be funny.

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Most guys last year made it known they’d be a GT prior to spring ball, including Watson and Anderson. The odds of a quality GT at RB announcing after spring ball aren’t high. I had a previous post that’s showed Watson was basically the only good GT RB on the market last year.

but I’m sure if anyone who’s even halfway decent announces, the staff will be after them.

Tavion Feaster was the big hope.

Now that he's staying with Clemson, the best hope is to grab someone like Brandon Stephens from UCLA and cobble a rotation together with him, Ingram, Young, and perhaps Whittington. Sihiem King from Kentucky is small but also supposed to be pretty good.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Now that he's staying with Clemson, the best hope is to grab someone like Brandon Stephens from UCLA and cobble a rotation together with him, Ingram, Young, and perhaps Whittington. Sihiem King from Kentucky is small but also supposed to be pretty good. 

Hah! Completely forgot about him: https://247sports.com/Player/Brandon-Stephens-36368/

That's honestly better than "cobbled together." A very good (to potentially elite) RB1 and then a serviceable depth chart behind him.

Edited by texifornia

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Who says Feaster is staying with Clemson? I know he said something on social media, but it doesn't mean a thing at this point. After Spring Ball, Feaster will make a decision. Until then, take his comments with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Who says Feaster is staying with Clemson? I know he said something on social media, but it doesn't mean a thing at this point. After Spring Ball, Feaster will make a decision. Until then, take his comments with a grain of salt.

sarvanaash is gorgon for “pussyrubber who takes any news that works against his interests as literal and definitive”. 

Feaster is our best shot at a GT. As I’ve said for months. We need the true sophomore to pass him this spring. 

• Like 1