Texas recruiting notes 2019

11 minutes ago, txhorns said:

The McCoy's love for Mehringer is certain to send this board into a fit.

The real absurdity would be if anyone found any validation at all for Mehringer based on this one family's blandly positive line about him.

At this point, there isn't a single virtue to uphold in favor of Mehringer in an argument about the efficacy of having him on staff. Anyone doing so is ignorant and lost. Mehringer was shopped this winter and there were no takers, so we know Herman isn't in love with his output. He's a mundane recruiter and worse coach. He has no history of performance to point to in which someone can honestly claim that he's the highest and best use of WR Coach at Texas. Anyone making such statements has a competing agenda, such as "your not a corches!?!" or "I stand with Herman!!!" blindly, or they're Mehringer's mother or "special roommate". 

I would take every other P5 WR Coach in the country over Drew Mehringer at this point. I don't know how many would be better and it is hard to fathom that any are worse, so I'd happily roll the dice and take the guy at KU, sight unseen, or the guy at Vandy, sight unseen, or anyone other random shitty program in the P5. The bar for replacing this guy is below sea level.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The real absurdity would be if anyone found any validation at all for Mehringer based on this one family's blandly positive line about him.

At this point, there isn't a single virtue to uphold in favor of Mehringer in an argument about the efficacy of having him on staff. Anyone doing so is ignorant and lost. Mehringer was shopped this winter and there were no takers, so we know Herman isn't in love with his output. He's a mundane recruiter and worse coach. He has no history of performance to point to in which someone can honestly claim that he's the highest and best use of WR Coach at Texas. Anyone making such statements has a competing agenda, such as "your not a corches!?!" or "I stand with Herman!!!" blindly, or they're Mehringer's mother or "special roommate". 

I would take every other P5 WR Coach in the country over Drew Mehringer at this point. I don't know how many would be better and it is hard to fathom that any are worse, so I'd happily roll the dice and take the guy at KU, sight unseen, or the guy at Vandy, sight unseen, or anyone other random shitty program in the P5. The bar for replacing this guy is below sea level.

So why didn't Herman do this over the off-season?

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

CTJ for WR coach?

8 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

So why didn't Herman do this over the off-season?

Like I said, Mehringer was shopped and set up for interviews for open roles. Same for Warehime. There were no takers at comparable schools or smaller with programs at an improved title level. When these two guys are shown the door after this season, neither will be picked up by anything resembling their current roles. 

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

CTJ for WR coach?

Doesn't pay enough. Honestly, I'm in Austin often enough, so I could just volunteer to replace him part time and do it for free. I would at least select better personnel packages even if nothing else changed. 

• Like 1

Fun fact: Tim Beck was the WR coach (and passing game coordinator) for KU the season they went 12-1 with Todd Reesing as QB. Mehringer might not even be the second-best WR coach on the staff as it stands (assuming Meekins is at least competent).

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Like I said, Mehringer was shopped and set up for interviews for open roles. Same for Warehime. There were no takers at comparable schools or smaller with programs at an improved title level. When these two guys are shown the door after this season, neither will be picked up by anything resembling their current roles. 

Doesn't pay enough. Honestly, I'm in Austin often enough, so I could just volunteer to replace him part time and do it for free. I would at least select better personnel packages even if nothing else changed. 

so Mehringer and/or Warehime are let go in Dec/Jan and we put Carrington back out on the recruiting trail. At least we have that to look forward to.

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Lol.

• Fuck You 1

IT Recruiting Notebook

Tre Watson, RB - Cal grad transfer (2018)
Hudl/highlights

How he fits at Texas: Tre Watson was a sort of "jack of all trades" for Cal over the last few years at RB. He was never the feature back but would regularly show his wares in the receiving game or in pass protection while typically serving as the team's second back in the run game. As a pure runner he's a good athlete but doesn't stand out for his position. He was good at setting up defenders in order to get north and south in their run game but lacked the power or explosiveness to do much more than what his OL blocked for him. Texas is essentially picking up a better version of Kendall Moore, a back that can reliably execute a game plan if called upon but isn't a guy that's going to carry the offense. - Ian Boyd

Coach Says: Strengths - Thickly built through the lower body. Exhibits good lower body strength. Reads his blocks very well and has very good (if not excellent) vision. Sets up blocks very well. Cuts right off the hips of his blocker and fits through tight creases. Does not waste time in the hole; Very much a one-cut runner. Finds daylight and keeps his motion going upfield consistently. Very versatile player with production in running, receiving and kick returns. Catches the ball very naturally with soft hands away from his body. Doesn’t shy from contact and keeps legs moving on contact. Will fight for yards and the goal line. Could bring leadership presence. Areas of Concern - Ball security seemed an issue with some fumbles while fighting for yards but only has one lost fumble in his college career. Top end speed appears average for the position. Acceleration is average and loses some speed on change of direction. Was never a feature back but this may have its positives as well.

How this affects Texas: At 5-foot-10, 205, Watson is a perfect stop gap. He can play immediately, he won't affect running back recruiting for 2019, and fills a large hole in the RB room. With a retooled offensive line, and a pair of QBs growing, a seasoned senior tailback is just what Dr. Drayton ordered. He'll make his decision very soon. - Justin Wells

Makiya Tongue, ATH - University Lab (Baton Rouge) (2019)
Hudl/highlights

How he fits at Texas: Tongue is a big, physical skill athlete who has a defensive mentality but currently plays with a good deal of skill outside at WR. He's fast and powerful going up for the ball or going over the middle currently as a WR but his frame and pedigree (father was an NFL safety) suggests he'll end up at 220 or 230 and end up as more of a skilled ball-hawk. For Texas he makes a lot of sense as a either a boundary safety, dime, or even a rover depending on where his body takes him. He's the kind of Jason Hall tweener that Orlando is realizing can become the wave of the future in his dime packages. - IB

Coach Says: Strengths - A tall, well-built athlete who probably ends up adding a good deal more weight / muscle in college. Seems to have long arms and big hands (but I can’t tell for sure on the video). Good hands on what is shown. He has above average speed for his size with good acceleration off the line. Appears to love the physical side of the game and shows some vicious hitting. Very talented with good situational and spatial awareness on the field. Will fight for the ball and makes some great catches in traffic. Father played in NFL which is never a bad thing. Very productive in big games / playoffs. Areas of concern - Seems to lose some speed on change of direction. Lower body explosiveness only appears fair in the video available. Some acrobatic plays are a result of having to overcome limited explosion or poor timing but this is nitpicking. He could fit at multiple positions depending on how his body grows and sometimes that proves to be a negative.

How this affects Texas: Herman and his crew will hunt in the swamps of Da Boot as long as Tom is leading the Longhorns program. Tongue, 6-foot-2, 210, is an interesting prospect in that he could play on either side of the ball at the next level. His preference, like most it seems, is offense, where he'd make a salty WR. But defense is where the Texas staff (and I) see him being fully utilized. He's taking an official visit to Austin weekend, and that's a good sign. He's very open about his love for the Longhorns, which is another positive data point. If LSU offers, this gets more difficult, but UT wants this type of player on campus. - JW

NaNa Osafo-Mensah, LB/DE - Fort Worth Nolan Catholic (2019)
Hudl/highlights

How he fits at Texas: NaNa is on the Breckyn Hager track currently, having played some LB early in his HS career before spinning down to 4-3 DE as an upperclassman with one more spin down in his future, to 4i-technique at Texas. At 6-foot-4 and maybe 240 currently, Osafo-Mensah is a long and powerful player who has the size to handle the B-gap responsibilities but is athletic enough to stunt, move to the edge, and help push the pocket. His somewhat tweener profile should make him a good fit as a project in Orlando's system. - IB

Coach Says: Strengths - Tall and rangy player with impressively long arms. Will definitely arrive on campus bigger than what he is now (and reports of his weight vary widely). Very productive in altering throws and getting a hand on the ball. Lines up at various spots along the defensive line and at OLB. A very powerful player who generates a lot of power from the lower body. Shows considerable one-gap ability and is able to use either speed or power effectively. Shows at least one or two examples of secondary moves (e.g., rip). Numerous examples of two or three blockers being unable to stop him. Has good awareness as he rushes the pocket and seems to have just a little bit of acceleration left to close those last 1-2 yards on the ball carrier. Will usually chase the play well downfield. Could develop into a very disruptive rusher. Areas for Improvement / Concern - As with most high school pass rushers, would like to see him combine rush moves (e.g., convert speed to power and vica versa) more consistently. Opponent film doesn’t always show same effort. Will fail to set the edge as the ELOS at times and shows at least 2-3 examples of running into the block rather than the ball carrier or setting the edge. Does not consistently fend off the cut block. 

How this affects Texas: This recruitment looked like Notre Dame by a longshot for the longest. Then NaNa visited Austin and the wheels started turning. UT prioritized Osafo-Mensah long ago, but after the Leal news, he's even more important now. He OV'ed to Notre Dame two weeks ago and now came away thinking it's 50-50. The Texas staff does a tremendous job hosting visits, so expect the burnt orange treatment this weekend when he's joined by his family. Texas needs 4-5 d-linemen in 2019, and NaNa is a big need. This visit will probably determine where Osafo-Mensah plays in the next 4-5 years. He's announcing at his Spring game on May 19th. - JW

Surly's favorite recruiting analyst, Barton Simmons, is having a Q&A. Someone asked him about 247's low ratings for Roschon and K. Watson. This is what he said:

I think Roschon has a better chance than Kenyatta during the offseason. Kenyatta has already been bumped up from an 85 to an 87 based on camps. He is absolutely a monster athletically and he has great length but his play in games is what holds us back, not his camp performance or athleticism. His film shows limitations. He's got bad ball skills and I know for a fact that multiple staffs have major concerns with his game film. That being said, he has a huge ceiling and he's been impressive this offseason so if he puts together really good film/production as a senior, that would go a long way towards validating the athleticism.

We will take a close look at Roschon. He was good in Dallas recently. Looked consistent. He's definitely a good player but his film still isn't "no doubt" stuff to me. It reminds me of watching Shane Buechele in HS when I thought he was a really good player but I could see him as a low fourstar or a high 3star. Wouldn't disagree with anyone that had him either way. That's kind of the way I feel about Roschon. Good player. Not sure there's a 'wow' throw on his tape. Good commitment, especially in a year with limited QB options. I think he's a safe prospect

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I'm in on this idea. Can we do the same thing with Warehime? Just pull names out of a hat. 

Edited by Vertigo

2 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I got you fam.

giphy.gif

Barton Simmons explaining how Roschon Johnson's "tape" is an issue holding him back is perfectly personified by this GIF.

I am trying to remember that one time that Shane had 598 yards and 10 TDs in a fucking Playoff Game. 

"Johnson is a once-in-a-generation player," Riordan told the Houston Chronicle. "He played a fantastic game for them tonight and did everything he needed for them to win." 

Yeah, high 3-star makes sense. Fuck off Barton Simmons, you fucking cunt.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Barton Simmons explaining how Roschon Johnson's "tape" is an issue holding him back is perfectly personified by this GIF.

I am trying to remember that one time that Shane had 598 yards and 10 TDs in a fucking Playoff Game. 

"Johnson is a once-in-a-generation player," Riordan told the Houston Chronicle. "He played a fantastic game for them tonight and did everything he needed for them to win." 

Having a bunch of losers like Barton Simmons hate on you as a high schooler can only be a net positive, Imo. Many players carry that shit as motivation, obviously. Dude's coming to Texas regardless of his ranking, I'd rather he be dead set on proving these clowns wrong than having his dick wet from tip riders

11 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

that sure sounds like a lot of production to not have any 'wows'...   but in fairness, maybe Simmons missed that game in the course of his meticulous research.

15 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

After the 2006-2011 classes, I realized the inherent corruption in class and playing ratings so I learned to not give a fuck about about the number of stars a long time ago. Not sure which player finally pushed me to that realization (Taylor Bible?) but it's obvious fan sites are not exactly a great place to get unbiased research on a recruit. 

Even Nahlin was going on about how he had placed a wager with other member sites about the final Texas class rating. I mean, shouldn't he at least pretend to be impartial? 

How Jalen Reagor was not the undisputed top rated player in the state last year tells you all you need to know about stars and various rankings. 

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

After the 2006-2011 classes, I realized the inherent corruption in class and playing ratings so I learned to not give a fuck about about the number of stars a long time ago. Not sure which player finally pushed me to that realization (Taylor Bible?) but it's obvious fan sites are not exactly a great place to get unbiased research on a recruit. 

Even Nahlin was going on about how he had placed a wager with other member sites about the final Texas class rating. I mean, shouldn't he at least pretend to be impartial? 

How Jalen Reagor was not the undisputed top rated player in the state last year tells you all you need to know about stars and various rankings. 

You should care about ratings when considering recruits in aggregate without getting too hung up on individual player ratings.

@futureman: come at me, bro.

36 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

In Barton's defense quarterbacks score ten times and account for 598 yards in a playoff game all the time.  Nothing special about that tape.  

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

So it's confirmed Barton Simmons is retarded, right? 

8 ball says it’s a distinct possibility.  But as was established here earlier his sub base is a barn full of mouthbeathers of various fan bases so his public comments may need be filtered through an industrial strength sieve

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Napoleon said:

We're talking about an African-American student athlete who:

1) Is from California.
2) CHOSE to attend UC-Berkeley out of high school.
3) Graduated from Berkeley in 4 years.
4) Never had a breakout season at UC-Berkeley (so the NFL is not a likely possibility)
5) Will be hoping to attend Grad School at a place with a good (national) reputation while playing out one final season of NCAA football.
6) Is used to hills, trees, and water.
7) Is used to a culturally diverse, ethnically diverse, politically liberal campus/ town/ metropolitan area/ state.

Why in the fuck do you think anyone with those 7 characteristics would ever entertain attending school in Lubbock over Austin?

Watson may very well attend UT.  I don't pretend to know.

It's just kind of interesting that your list above very closely fits two transfers who have already committed to Tech.  That would be Rice DT, Preston Gordon, and Oregon State WR and California native, Seth Collins.  The similarity of much of their and Watson's background sort of flies in the face of your argument.

8 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

It's just kind of interesting that your list above very closely fits two transfers who have already committed to Tech.  That would be Rice DT, Preston Gordon, and Oregon State WR and California native, Seth Collins.  The similarity of much of their and Watson's background sort of flies in the face of your argument.

Kliff may very well be implementing the Charlie Weiss recruiting message:

"Have you seen that pile of crap out there?!"

10 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

They didn't have Texas offers, so that's the difference.

• Like 2