Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

seems like Texas would be justified in acquiring some leftovers to give to siblings on official visits.

You don't just give t-shirts to casual encounters (plus it is a recruiting violation).

3 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Hmmm... seems like Texas would be justified in acquiring some leftovers to give to siblings on official visits. Cheap advertisement in SEC country if you ask me. Maybe that’s too complex to think about for some. 

Ok. You’re a troll. Got it. It’s been a bit of pain learning everyone’s schtick on the new site.

2 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

JFC people. Bowl t shirts can be bought on the internet.  A kid wearing one is not dispositive either way. More importantly, who gives a fuck?! Take your pissant t-shirt debate and shove it up your asses! 

Would that be a recruiting violation?

*  I apologize for engaging in this stupidity. It’s been a long day of drinking to survive the multiple airports I had the pleasure of being stuck in.

Edited by Casual Encounter
I’m dumb

5 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Would that be a recruiting violation?

*  I apologize for engaging in this stupidity. It’s been a long day of drinking to survive the multiple airports I had the pleasure of being stuck in.

For the record, shoving things up your ass may or may not be a recruiting violation, but the NCAA won't enforce one way or the other, so who cares?

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

Isn't this the kid who's an Arkansas legacy? Both of the HawgSports writers have him CBed to Arky. Here's their blurb on him from yesterday:

-----

Zach Williams | DE | 6-4, 225 | Little Rock (Ark.) Robinson

This instate prospect was my third Crystal Ball pick and Trey Biddy's first in favor of the Razorbacks. Williams has blown up recently with new offers from Alabama, Texas, TCU, Georgia, Florida and several others, but Arkansas' offer on February 11 is the one that took his list to the next level. Williams is the son of a former Razorback great, too, as his father Rickey is one of the program's all-time leading tacklers. With three other Robinson products on Arkansas' current roster, the Hogs will be very tough to beat for Williams. We think he's headed to the Hill at some point.

-----

Is Trey Biddy related to Tree Fiddy?

Dallas Warmack announced he's grad transferring from Bama. Herb Hand started following. 

I'll be surprised if Hand is done with the OL class this cycle. It seems fairly obvious to me that Hand is interested in adding another OL before the season starts. 

Also, Warmack has 2 years of eligibility left. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Dallas Warmack announced he's grad transferring from Bama. Herb Hand started following. 

I'll be surprised if Hand is done with the OL class this cycle. It seems fairly obvious to me that Hand is interested in adding another OL before the season starts. 

https://247sports.com/player/dallas-warmack-26965

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2773868-report-chance-warmacks-brother-dallas-to-transfer-from-alabama-oregon-linked (Gonna be hard to pull him from Oregon due to his previously established relationship with Mario Cristobal)

Nevertheless, it would be great if Hand added as many grad transfers/JUCOs available to generate a viable starting line up, depth at the position, and the ability to redshirt all incoming freshmen OL.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Also, Warmack has 2 years of eligibility left. 

You mean last cycle?

7 hours ago, Fit Girls Only said:

Besides Walden shoving things up his ass, this page sucks. I guess I picked the wrong day to engage surly.  I refuse to read the last 100 pages. 

fuck ya'll

Reveal hidden contents

BAJppM0.png

Tre Watson is supposed to be dropping any moment now - it should, hypothetically, be a good time

E.J. After Dark

— Let’s start with the good news, we feel very good about where Texas stands with five-star offensive lineman Tyler Johnson. We still have reason to believe the Longhorns are the overwhelming favorites, and this visit could push them over the edge. Is a commitment possible? Sure. But Johnson told me earlier this week that he doesn’t want to rush it and is planning on making visits to a few other schools. Even if he does wait, that shouldn’t be taken as a negative sign. Texas has done a great job in this recruitment.

— Now onto the bad news, we have heard from multiple sources that the race for four-star defensive end/outside linebacker NaNa Osafo-Mensah, who will be hosted by Tope Imade, is much tighter than initially anticipated. This one isn’t a slam-dunk at all, and I’m close to changing my Crystal Ball to foggy — I want to see how things play out over the weekend. I am told that it is imperative for Tom Herman and Oscar Giles to win over Osafo-Mensah’s parents, specifically his father. They have done a solid job with his mother, and an even better job with his high school coach. But Notre Dame has made a surge that has caused some uneasiness in confidence. This one might truly be 50/50.

— Four-star Spring Dekaney cornerback Marcus Banks will not be making his official visit to Texas this weekend as originally scheduled. I am told that Banks is rescheduling for the summer due to personal reasons. Texas is still a top school for Banks, but he is going to continue to explore his options. He also plans to make official visits to Alabama, Auburn and LSU.

— According to a Louisiana source, Texas does have a slight chance with five-star Dunham School (La.) cornerback Derek Stingley. The source said Stingley, who will be hosted by Jordan Pouncey, likes UT’s academics and the program’s future — two things the Longhorns will hammer home this weekend. The source also said Texas should still be considered the frontrunner for University Lab (La.) athlete Makiya Tongue heading into the visit. Selling him on the opportunity to play wide receiver is imperative. Georgia is the biggest threat there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’m not going to get my hopes up on an Alabama “student athlete” qualifying for a Texas graduate program. I’d be a lot cooler if he did.

But he's a Berkeley student athlete so (thread goes in 20 different directions but it's still better than any Stanford conversation)

8 hours ago, Fit Girls Only said:

Besides Walden shoving things up his ass, this page sucks. I guess I picked the wrong day to engage surly.  I refuse to read the last 100 pages. 

fuck ya'll

Reveal hidden contents

BAJppM0.png

"Fit girls only", huh?

Man oh man does Surly have the perfect girl for you!

Her name is McKenzie and she is a Disaster Scientist

• Like 2

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

E.J. After Dark

Reveal hidden contents

— Let’s start with the good news, we feel very good about where Texas stands with five-star offensive lineman Tyler Johnson. We still have reason to believe the Longhorns are the overwhelming favorites, and this visit could push them over the edge. Is a commitment possible? Sure. But Johnson told me earlier this week that he doesn’t want to rush it and is planning on making visits to a few other schools. Even if he does wait, that shouldn’t be taken as a negative sign. Texas has done a great job in this recruitment.

— Now onto the bad news, we have heard from multiple sources that the race for four-star defensive end/outside linebacker NaNa Osafo-Mensah, who will be hosted by Tope Imade, is much tighter than initially anticipated. This one isn’t a slam-dunk at all, and I’m close to changing my Crystal Ball to foggy — I want to see how things play out over the weekend. I am told that it is imperative for Tom Herman and Oscar Giles to win over Osafo-Mensah’s parents, specifically his father. They have done a solid job with his mother, and an even better job with his high school coach. But Notre Dame has made a surge that has caused some uneasiness in confidence. This one might truly be 50/50.

— Four-star Spring Dekaney cornerback Marcus Banks will not be making his official visit to Texas this weekend as originally scheduled. I am told that Banks is rescheduling for the summer due to personal reasons. Texas is still a top school for Banks, but he is going to continue to explore his options. He also plans to make official visits to Alabama, Auburn and LSU.

— According to a Louisiana source, Texas does have a slight chance with five-star Dunham School (La.) cornerback Derek Stingley. The source said Stingley, who will be hosted by Jordan Pouncey, likes UT’s academics and the program’s future — two things the Longhorns will hammer home this weekend. The source also said Texas should still be considered the frontrunner for University Lab (La.) athlete Makiya Tongue heading into the visit. Selling him on the opportunity to play wide receiver is imperative. Georgia is the biggest threat there.

How Oscar Giles is allowed to be a point on any recruitment at this time is beyond me. He’s utterly incompetent at the work and just fucking wrecked us by falling asleep at the wheel on the Leal effort. If they lose Nana because of his mediocrity, I’m vomiting in a Fedex shipping box and sending it Priority to his attention in Belmont.

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

How Oscar Giles is allowed to be a point on any recruitment at this time is beyond me. He’s utterly incompetent at the work and just fucking wrecked us by falling asleep at the wheel on the Leal effort. If they lose Nana because of his mediocrity, I’m vomiting in a Fedex shipping box and sending it Priority to his attention in Belmont.

He better be the best developer of talent in the history of the sport to justify his job at Texas. 

Edited by Newy25

My ideal rearrangement of coaches after last offseason was Beck to WRs, Warehime and Mehringer replaced, new OC/QBs coach, and a 10th assistant to assist with DL recruiting. We got one-half to two-thirds out of 4.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Like he bothers to open his mail.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

My ideal rearrangement of coaches after last offseason was Beck to WRs, Warehime and Mehringer replaced, new OC/QBs coach, and a 10th assistant to assist with DL recruiting. We got one-half to two-thirds out of 4.

I think this would be a good fix but it is a little ridiculous that for a school like Texas, with all of its endless resources, that the best we can do is rearrange. Say what we want about Jimbo but he hired a true position coach that can recruit for each hire. We need and can afford a real WR coach who can both coach and recruit, ala Herb Hand replacing Warehime. Meekins to TE's is one thing but at a certain point Tom just needs to sack up and trim the fat even if he's friends with them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SamTex said:

I think this would be a good fix but it is a little ridiculous that for a school like Texas, with all of its endless resources, that the best we can do is rearrange. Say what we want about Jimbo but he hired a true position coach that can recruit for each hire. We need and can afford a real WR coach who can both coach and recruit, ala Herb Hand replacing Warehime. Meekins to TE's is one thing but at a certain point Tom just needs to sack up and trim the fat even if he's friends with them.

Well, I did say replace Warehime and Mehringer. The only reason I'd be OK with Beck staying on as a position coach is that he has good recruiting connections in Dallas (and Arizona, apparently), and he can't be worse than Mehringer at the whole coaching thing.

I think you meant to say Meekins to WR; he was TEs last year.

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-weekend-may-4th-6th/

– Earlier this week, Texas offered Katy Taylor (TX) Offensive Tackle Andrew Coker.

Coker said Texas was his childhood favorite growing up, and that a visit is likely to happen. Coker is an interesting prospect, as he made an early commitment to Florida, but backed out in Late January. Since then Georgia, and some big in-state schools in Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and now Texas have offered.

A big reason for that was last year Coker was over 350 pounds. He’s almost 6’7, but he was still too heavy and slow. He told me he’s down to around 310-315 now and that’s a big reason why more teams are solid on him as a legit OT prospect. – (Andrew)

– 2019 ATH (WR/LB) Makiya Tongue (Baton Rouge, LA) tells me he will take an official visit to Texas, this upcoming weekend.

Some of you may recall that Makiya picked up a Texas offer back in late February and promptly took an unofficial visit Texas.

This return trip is obviously a good sign for Texas. Makiya is son of former NFL safety, Reggie Tongue. So, he’s got the DNA!

Texas is giving Makiya the option to play WR or LB. – (Super K)

Weekend Visitors:

As Super K mentioned earlier this week, Texas will be hosting Makiya Tongue, the dynamic Athlete out of Baton Rouge, (Louisianna). He will be just one of a handful of important visitors who will be making their way to the 4o acres this weekend.

Others who are expected to be in Austin for official visits are:

*NaNa Osafo-Mensah, DE/OLB, Fort Worth (TX) Nolan Catholic: As Will noted earlier this week, Texas is in a good position for Nolan Catholic’s NaNa Osafo-Mensah, but they may be playing a bit from behind. Even though he is visiting this weekend, Oscar Giles was in Fort Worth to visit the defensive end. Again, Texas has set themselves up in great position here. Need to execute.

This weekend will go a long way in helping NaNa decide which program he will commit to in a few short weeks. While Notre Dame has made up a ton of ground, and may in fact have taken the lead at this point, Tom Herman and his staff will undoubtedly roll out the proverbial orange carpet and make every attempt to sway things back to Texas with the hopes of locking this one up.

*Tyler Johnson, Offensive Tackle, Conroe (TX) Oak Ridge: As Alex King noted back in April, Johnson has visited Texas on a number of occasions already with this last visit coming right after he took his first official visit to Oklahoma for their Spring Game during the April 14 weekend.

Three visits in basically a month’s span, hard not to envision Texas being the team to beat at this point. We like where Texas sits with the big tackle and while a public commitment is not expected, we also would not completely rule it out.

*Brayden Liebrock, Tight End, Chandler (AZ) Chandler: As Andrew mentioned a while back, Liebrock is a guy that the Texas staff has really turned their attention to after Baylor Cupp committed to Texas A&M. Liebrock holds 20+ offers including Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame and others. Right now the only official visit he’s taken was to his home state school, Arizona State. I was also told that Liebrock plans to make an earlier decision. And he has already taken an unofficial to Texas, so this is huge weekend to Texas to put themselves in a prime position to land a Top 15 TE in the nation.

*Derek Stingley, Baton Rouge (LA) Dunham School: As Super K has said previously, Stingley, in his estimation is the best cornerback in the country. If he isn’t a three and done 1st through 3rd round guy, he’d be surprised. Like Dax Hill at safety, Stingley is a notch above elite.

LSU is the team to beat here, but again, getting a kid on campus tends to have a great affect on them. We fully expect Tom Herman and his staff to at least give the young man something to think about in regards to pushing Texas into “serious contender” area.

Unofficial Visitor

*Bryce Young, 2020 QB, Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei: As will noted earlier this week, Bryce Young will be coming in for his third trip in last year and second in the past month. The staff had another successful visit with Bryce Young earlier this week where they decided to finally extend an offer. Texas is making him a priority, and if they continue showing the love, they could land a blue-chip 2020 QB before too long.

It should be noted here that Young will also be visiting Oklahoma this weekend, and they are real players for him as well.

Edited by Machinator

Tom Herman is yet another dumbfuck who has shown up on a bigger stage with the mistaken belief that what got him there will continue to elevate him going forward. So he brought his bros in and lived within the bubble that a pre-Del Conte regime was all to willing to accommodate.

They were utterly fucking shocked when Maryland publicly humiliated them. He was perplexed with the Horny blowback. He was surprised when players didn’t just bask in the glow of his brilliance with runny eggs and constant hazing about water consumption and just generally mistrusting them all as bitchy idiots.

Maybe he’s learned some things, but narcissists usually don’t. I look at what he did with his staff this offseason and see nothing but blind arrogance that will probably cost him his job or at least put some scars on his regime. He’s done all of this because he knows better. Warehime is loyal and Mehringer is a protege. You and I may be too stupid to understand why that’s all Herman needs while his mind handles the rest and, well, that’s our problem. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Well, I did say replace Warehime and Mehringer. The only reason I'd be OK with Beck staying on as a position coach is that he has good recruiting connections in Dallas (and Arizona, apparently), and he can't be worse than Mehringer at the whole coaching thing.

I think you meant to say Meekins to WR; he was TEs last year.

You're right about Meekins, my mistake. 

But for Beck why shouldn't we have higher expectations and standards? They guy can recruit but it wouldn't change the fact that we still wouldn't have a WR coach that recruits would want to play for. 

Another schools recruiting pitch from their WR coach: "Come play for me at ___. You've seen how I've coach up similar players and I think I can get you to the draft."

Mehringer: "I know my WR choices were strange last year, that one of our best young players in the position transferred partially because he didn't like me, and that I lack experience but give us a chance, we're Texas!"

Beck: "I know I was fired from OSU, ran a horrible offense two years in a row at 2 different schools, and now I've been moved to a coaching position that I have virtually no experience at but give me a chance!"

Or, find someone else who can recruit and coach at the position.

OB War Room:

(From Suchomel)

The number of official visitors for this weekend is a little lower than previously expected due to a variety of circumstances (baseball playoffs, state track meets, bumping others back to the fall) but Texas will still host some of its top recruiting targets beginning on Friday. An updated look at the guys who are expected to be on campus …

DB 
Marcus Banks – Spring Dekaney – Banks has fluctuated between being a Texas lean to being a UT-A&M battle to being an LSU lean to now being pretty open. Texas has made a strong impression on him every time he’s visited and there’s no reason to think it won’t happen again this weekend. He has already visited Texas A&M and will visit LSU in June. Those three figure to be the favorites, although Banks has a long list of offers and may wind up taking all five visits before deciding. He does want to make a commitment this summer, so this weekend will be key for UT’s chances.

OL 
Tyler Johnson – Conroe Oak Ridge – The Rivals100 member was just on campus two weekends ago for the Orange-White game and he’ll get a much deeper look at the Texas program this weekend on his official visit. Johnson doesn’t like to tip his hand much on what he’s thinking, but it’s pretty obvious if you read between the lines of his social media activity that the Longhorns are in a great spot here. He has said he’ll take his time with the process, but look for Texas to solidify its spot atop his list.

ATH 
Makiya Tongue – Baton Rouge University Lab – Tongue told another Rivals.com recruiter a little more than a month ago that Texas was the team standing out the most. He’s a guy who could line up on either side of the ball, so it’ll be interesting to hear what kind of message Texas delivers to him this weekend.

CB 
Derek Stingley Jr – Baton Rouge Dunham – The nation’s top corner, Stingley has been on campus before but it’s been a while. He has a really good relationship with Texas CB coach Jason Washington. There won’t be any fireworks this weekend but Texas should stay in contention until the end. More on Stingley in a bit.

LB/DE 
NaNa Osafo-Mensah – Fort Worth Nolan Catholic – You all know the score here. He’s down to Texas and Notre Dame and will make his decision on May 19. Osafo-Mensah told us this week that he’s torn between the two. More on him in a bit.

TE Brayden Liebrock – Chandler (AZ) – This will be Liebrock’s second visit to Texas, so the interest is obviously strong. Our West Coast guys who know Liebrock better than I do think Texas is a real threat here (and this was before the official visit was set up) and say he’s not locked in to staying close to home. Showing him how he’d be utilized in the offense will be key (he’s a fantastic receiver at the tight end position).

NaNa Osafo-Mensah told me this week he truly couldn’t make a decision right now if he had to choose between Texas and Notre Dame. That may be true, but if it’s dead even coming into the last weekend, I’ll take my chances on UT winning out.

A couple interesting quotes that I held back from Thursday morning’s update …

On how he’ll separate the two:

“Each place has pros and cons. Notre Dame is incredibly cold, yes. I don’t like the cold, so that’s something I would have to adapt to. Texas, it doesn’t provide me the amount of diversity like Notre Dame does, how they have all the different exchange students, different people from different places. Texas, the majority, like 95 percent are all from Texas. I’m just going to consider all those factors and just see what I come out with.”

On if his parents would prefer him to stay closer to home:

“They honestly wouldn’t mind, either or. Texas, they would be able to come to almost every game. Even Notre Dame, my dad and my mom, even though they work a ton, they would try to get a condo up there so they could go to all the games.”

On if playing in a league that throws the ball like the Big 12 is a factor:

“It is a passing league, and I really do like that about the Big 12. This year, I was looking at the draft because the NFL is my dream, and I saw there were only like nine players or something like that drafted from the Big 12. It was a low number. They didn’t say how many from Notre Dame, but seeing those two people go top 10, was a really big thing to me. The thing about it, independent gives you a chance to play against so many different kinds of players, so many different kinds of teams like a run-heavy team and a pass-heavy team. That’s something I really like about Notre Dame too.”

Based on his comments, this one is really a tough call. That being said, I heard some grapevine chatter this weekend that makes me think the Longhorns are in a better position heading into the visit than Osafo-Mensah is letting on. If things go well this weekend, which they should, I like UT’s chances.

When wide receiver Garrett Wilson committed to Ohio State on Sunday night, it was obviously a tough blow to for the Longhorns. Before the announcement went public, Wilson told me he felt “100 percent about it,” as did his family.

When I asked Wilson on Sunday what it was about Ohio State, he mentioned the tradition and the ability to compete for national championships pretty much every year. Hard to argue that, but it also makes one wonder if Texas is able to turn in a successful 2018 season and show Wilson the program is close to competing at a championship level, might he be willing to give the Longhorns another look?

“I feel solid about it. I feel like I’m going to remain solid but I’m open to all coaches talking to me. If they have something to offer that they didn’t have before, I’m open to hearing that. But I have a feeling I’m going to be really solid about it,” Wilson said.

Doesn’t sound like it would be an easy flip, but it also sounds like he’s willing to keep an open mind. If Texas can turn in a big 2018 with improved play on the offensive side of the ball, Texas could have an outside shot of landing the Lake Travis standout.

Five-star cornerback Derek Stingley Jr will take his UT visit this weekend, and he’s always spoken very highly of the Longhorns when I’ve talked to him. Most feel he’ll follow the usual pattern of top Louisiana prospects and sign with in-state LSU, but Stingley swears to me he’s open to going anywhere that he feels fits him best.

This will be his first visit to Texas since last summer, and he’s anxious to see some of the changes that have been made.

“I’m hoping to see everything. The construction, the last time I went they didn’t have the locker rooms, the weight rooms, all that. I just want to see what all that looks like,” Stingley said.

As for what Texas can show him to win him over, Stingley said it’s more about continuing to develop relationships with the UT staff. He already feels very comfortable with DB coach Jason Washington, and hopes to build on that this weekend.

“There’s nothing they can really show me because the relationships we already have right now are pretty high and I like where things are at right now,” Stingley said. “Coach Washington, I like his personality because every time, he’s always laughing, always smiling, joking around. I like people who are like that.”

Stingley doesn’t have any other visits set up at this time and said he’ll likely wait until the fall to take his other trips. Generally speaking, what has Texas on his radar?

“I guess you could say everything about them,” Stingley said. “The coaches are nice, they have a good environment, Austin is a good place to be, they have a lot of things to do there. So I guess you could say the overall atmosphere.”

Texas continues to work on Texas A&M commitment Demani Richardson, as do others like Ohio State, Georgia and Alabama. There’s been a lot of talk this spring about Richardson possibly visiting Texas on various weekends, but I’ve been hearing for the last month or so that he’d kind of solidified his pledge to the Aggies.

I caught up with Richardson this week, and he didn’t sound like he’d put the nail in the coffin on his recruitment, but he wasn’t really giving any other schools a hard look either.

“It’s the coaches, how hard they recruit me,” he said of A&M. “They show they really want me. And it seems like a good school to go to for my future. Just everything really, the facilities are great.”

As for the possibility of a Texas visit … “Not really. I’m still kind of thinking about it, but not really.”

Richardson said he’ll watch to see how other schools do this fall and that could impact things. He does hear from Craig Naivar quite a bit and Naivar is trying to get him to visit, so it’s not out of the realm of possibilities that he pops in to Austin at some point. But as of right now, he’s pretty locked in to his A&M pledge.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Tom Herman is yet another dumbfuck who has shown up on a bigger stage with the mistaken belief that what got him there will continue to elevate him going forward. So he brought his bros in and lived within the bubble that a pre-Del Conte regime was all to willing to accommodate.

They were utterly fucking shocked when Maryland publicly humiliated them. He was perplexed with the Horny blowback. He was surprised when players didn’t just bask in the glow of his brilliance with runny eggs and constant hazing about water consumption and just generally mistrusting them all as bitchy idiots.

Maybe he’s learned some things, but narcissists usually don’t. I look at what he did with his staff this offseason and see nothing but blind arrogance that will probably cost him his job or at least put some scars on his regime. He’s done all of this because he knows better. Warehime is loyal and Mehringer is a protege. You and I may be too stupid to understand why that’s all Herman needs while his mind handles the rest and, well, that’s our problem. 

I appreciate your candor and insight on things, but goddamn man, your posts this offseason have been a fucking roller coaster.

• Like 8

Reasons Dallas Warmack chooses Texas. 

1) First name Dallas. A city in Texas. Also the Dallas cowboys just drafted the first OL about of Texas in a million years. Check. 

2) Last name Warmack. Let’s break this down into two parts. War - Herb Hand just came from Auburn, where they chant War Eagle. Mack - Mack Brown was the last coach to win a championship at Texas. Double check. 

Did I do that right?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1