Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

you motherfuckers are upset about a TexAgs report that they lead for a player? Those fucking guys know less than EJ AND are the biggest fucking homers on the fucking planet. Of course they lead for Wright via TexAgs. They still lead for Brandon Jones, Keondre Coburn, Moro Ojomo, DeMarvion Overshown, T'Vondre Sweat, Joseph Ossai ....  hell, I think they lead for Malik Jefferson as well. Still. 

you get the fucking picture. 

Look, it's easy to make fun of those fucking yokels and their blind homerism, but to pretend we're operating under the same situation as we were under Sumlin is some head-in-the-ground naivete. Jimbo is a better recruiter and a better coach than Sumlin. He's got the new car smell, can sell his National Championship, and those fuckers have begun playing by the SEC rules. They're actually a legitimate threat this year with a bunch of kids, and they will end up with a very good class. We'll get ours, and if our offense improves I think we'll get more guys than they do, but kids are seriously considering aggy this year.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I've read Wright is similarly skeptical of our offense and ability to get the ball to the wide receivers. Apparently he's good friends with Wilson, and whatever poison Urban and Co infected Wilson with has seemed to spread to Wright. While Wilson seems to have made a firm decision, it doesn't seem like Wright has shut us down. 

It's been said a million times, but we need to improve on offense and show that we can pass the ball. If we do, we'll win games and win recruits. If we don't, we probably fucked.

I thought that was Higgins.  Wright too now?

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Apparently he's good friends with Wilson, and whatever poison Urban and Co infected Wilson with has seemed to spread to Wright.

Wilson seems to be on the fast track to becoming hated.  If he is negatively recruiting as much as it seems, he'll fit right in with Urban and the jorts lovers.

• Like 2

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-monday-may-14th/

– Texas extended a new offer to an out-of-state Wide Receiver target last night in Calabasas (CA) Mycah Pittman. I haven’t been able to speak with Pittman yet, but after talking to some other people, it sounds like Texas could have a shot here.

Pittman is the younger brother of current USC WR Michael Pittman, however with that in mind, it sounds like that’s not where Pittman will end up. I was even told by one person that he prefers to get away from home. Right now, three of the top schools for him are Florida, Alabama, and Oregon. Those are the three official visits he has set right now. The visits will take place in September-October. Nebraska is another school that will likely get an official visit.

Now where does Texas stand? Obviously they have some catching up to do if they want to have a legit shot to land Pittman. But I was told they’d like to get him on campus this summer, and see if they can lock up that 5th official visit for him. Some connections regarding Texas and Pittman are that Linebacker commit DeGabriel Floyd plays on his 7on7 team, as does 2020 QB Bryce Young, who has taken three trips to Texas over the past few months and is high on Texas. – (Andrew)

– Last weekend 2019 Conroe, TX Oak Ridge OT, Tyler Johnson returned to Austin for his Official Visit along with his mom and dad. We’ve noted multiple times before how often Johnson and his parents have been in Austin as of late. Speaking with Mrs. Johnson before the visit, their previous visits had always gone really well and it sounds like this one may have been the best yet.

“Great, great, great, great visit,” Mrs. Johnson said. “It was fantastic.”

“We ate a lot of food the entire weekend. They had us in the Four Seasons Hotel with all of the other visiting families which included a social suite for us all to hang out and visit.”

Tyler’s host on the visit was Sophomore OT Derek Kerstetter. Mrs. Johnson said the two had a good time throughout the weekend getting to go to see The Avengers on Friday night followed by a musical event, JMBLYA which included J Cole, Migos and TI. She also mentioned how nice it was getting to see Tope Imade again and speaking with Denzel Okafor.

Friday night while the recruits went to the movies. the families hung out at the hotel and played games throughout the evening. Saturday they were served breakfast on campus but Mrs. Johnson had a special chef, chef Hand. Coach Hand made her an omelet that she said was amazing.

While on campus the Johnson’s got the chance to speak more with the academic advisers, nutritionists and strength staff. That night when the recruits went to the rap concert the families and coaches along with their families went and had dinner at a restaurant. Again, a lot of good food over the weekend. Mrs. Johnson said, afterwards, they went and played games like Dominoes, Spades and Connect 4 which gave her a glimpse of just how competitive the staff is with each other.

Sunday they got to spend some one on one time with Coach Herman and he expressed to them how much the Longhorns obviously want Tyler to be a part of their program. After that they headed over to Offensive Coordinator Coach Tim Beck’s house to hang out with him and his family along with Coach Hand and his wife and other Grad Assistants. Also there with them was new TE commit out of Arizona, Brayden Liebrock and his family as well. Chef Hand went back to work in the kitchen as Mrs. Johnson said he made a ‘fantastic lunch’ for everybody. They hung out there for a few hours and then left in the afternoon.

Throughout our conversation, Mrs. Johnson repeatedly would mention how great the visit went and how much they enjoyed it.

Moving forward they don’t have anymore official visits planned at this time or a decision timeline as Mrs. Johnson said they are just focused on Tyler’s AP Exams to finish out the year. Funny side story, you may have noticed on Twitter that Tyler picked up offers from Florida State and USC the other day which I asked her about, turns out she found out from her friends first.

“I was getting text messages from my friends before Tyler even told me. When he got home later that day he mentioned it,” she explained.

He’s just that humble that he doesn’t even really say anything when he gets offers from two of the biggest programs in the country, and that includes telling his own mom and dad.

Another thing we discussed that I thought you guys would like to know was how happy she was for Connor Williams to get drafted by the Dallas Cowboys. We always talk about the Cowboys as she always mentions how big of a fan she is of Michael Irvin. She talked about being around Connor when they first visited Texas a while back and just how nice of a person he was along with his parents.

When looking at where things stand currently I noticed a retweet of Tyler’s the other day from a tweet Tope Imade put out that speaks volumes in my opinion. Followed by his own tweet of the visit a few days later.

Capture.png

https://twitter.com/TylerJohnson_74/status/994020292124139520

I will stay in touch with Mrs. Johnson as we keep moving forward, and should anymore visits be scheduled or if a decision timeline is decided upon, I will keep you guys in the loop. – (Alex)

22 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I've read Wright is similarly skeptical of our offense and ability to get the ball to the wide receivers. Apparently he's good friends with Wilson, and whatever poison Urban and Co infected Wilson with has seemed to spread to Wright. While Wilson seems to have made a firm decision, it doesn't seem like Wright has shut us down. 

It's been said a million times, but we need to improve on offense and show that we can pass the ball. If we do, we'll win games and win recruits. If we don't, we probably fucked.

I'd be willing to bet that ole Baker Mayfield had an impact on Wilson also. It's not lost on me that the bitter QB from Wilson's own HS who had to go out of state to get a real shot got drafted #1 overall just days before Wilson decided to....go out of state.

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'd be willing to bet that ole Baker Mayfield had an impact on Wilson also. It's not lost on me that the bitter QB from Wilson's own HS who had to go out of state to get a real shot got drafted #1 overall just days before Wilson decided to....go out of state.

Is Wilson walking on as well?

Listen, you can blame our DL coach and our WR coaches, but every coach outside of Beck this year has had to go out of state to get top targets. Washington has gone heavy around the country and Drayton is doing the same. Naivar, Orlando, Warehime... It is not a coincidence and at least this coaching staff is being proactive.

35 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

Wilson seems to be on the fast track to becoming hated.  If he is negatively recruiting as much as it seems, he'll fit right in with Urban and the jorts lovers.

If you follow our recruiting over the years, you’ll notice that players who shun Texas, go to other schools and bad mouth us, rarely have great careers.  Just saying.

24 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Listen, you can blame our DL coach and our WR coaches, but every coach outside of Beck this year has had to go out of state to get top targets. Washington has gone heavy around the country and Drayton is doing the same. Naivar, Orlando, Warehime... It is not a coincidence and at least this coaching staff is being proactive.

Wrong.  Who do you think is lead on Liebrock and Smith?

Ohhhh, then carry on. 

To be fair to sat, he didn’t really whine. This thread is so predictable. Someone posts something and then five people call them out for worrying. I think the five people are secretly worried and are deflecting. Look it up. It’s sycology.

1 hour ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Uhhh wouldn't that make it a good move? Do I need to teach you how betting works? Seems like you should probably learn now that Notorious RBG and Co.'s ruling came down today. 

db3de72b1cf425d5c68d0c59ca316923--justic

Minor clarification: it wasn't her ruling, she dissented along with Breyer and Sotomayor.

Carry on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

you motherfuckers are upset about a TexAgs report that they lead for a player? Those fucking guys know less than EJ AND are the biggest fucking homers on the fucking planet. Of course they lead for Wright via TexAgs. They still lead for Brandon Jones, Keondre Coburn, Moro Ojomo, DeMarvion Overshown, T'Vondre Sweat, Joseph Ossai ....  hell, I think they lead for Malik Jefferson as well. Still. 

you get the fucking picture. 

Man, Texas fans often give TexAgs a run for the money in ignorant buffoonery.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

21 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Wrong.  Who do you think is lead on Liebrock and Smith?

What I am saying is that Beck got his QB in Texas. Warehime and Merringer had to go out of state to get top TE and WR targets. That Beck is lead for Warehime and Merringer targets is an entirely different subject.

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

From what I can gather, TexAgs is reporting that A&M now leads for Dylan Wright. Anyone have that report?

I don't believe jackshit coming from that site and, if it were true, I would question any top flight receiver that wants to play for Jimbo. His track record at putting WRs in the NFL is extremely thin and his overcomplicated offense doesn't let kids see the field until they're juniors.

Kelvin Benjamin was an outlier. 

Bevo Nuggets: Can Texas land two elite backs?

Texas is still looking for its first running back of the 2019 cycle, and the Longhorns are certainly swinging for the fences. UT running backs coach Stan Drayton has been open and honest with Trey Sanders and Noah Cain, two of the top ball carriers in the nation, about wanting them in the same class. While it might be absurd to think Cain and Sanders would actually play with each other at the next level, it’s not that farfetched. “We like competing and making each other better,” Sanders said. “We talk about playing together in college almost everyday. It’s a hot commodity around here. Around IMG, we always talk about playing together.”

Cain shared similar sentiments. “Trey and I like to compete everyday,” Cain said. “We talk about playing together all the time. But it has to be the right opportunity for both of us and where we can make an early impact. We’re definitely in talks about it.”

It would be amiss not to mention the fact that Sanders and Cain currently play on the same high school team — national powerhouse IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. In arguably the best high school backfield in the country, Sanders and Cain push each other and, perhaps more importantly, alleviate the stress of getting too many carries — something that would have probably happened had they stayed at their respective high schools. Texas does offer what both are looking for — early playing time in a backfield full of question marks and an opportunity to learn from someone with NFL experience in Drayton, who coached the likes of Ezekiel Elliott and Jordan Howard.

Cain has made several trips to Texas over the course of his recruitment — most recently for the spring game — and absolutely loves Drayton and the future of the program under Tom Herman. Texas has long been considered a frontrunner for Cain along with LSU — Cain is originally from Baton Rouge but played at Denton Guyer in the Dallas-area early in his high school career. And his mother still lived in DFW. With LSU already having a running back pledge in Tyrion Davis and the Tigers surging for John Emery, the door is wide open for Texas to take advantage and fend off others like Ohio State and Oklahoma as Cain does not want to be part of a three-back class.

The Sanders recruitment is a little trickier. Sanders is a Florida native, has a brother that plays for the University of Florida, which holds the majority of Crystal Ball picks, and has yet to make a visit to Texas. With that said, we’ve been told that getting to the NFL is the top priority for Sanders, and Drayton can obviously help him become a top draft pick. On top of that, Sanders is planning to visit Texas this summer and is open to a new experience since he’s been in Florida all of his life.

Again, it’s wild to think about. But yes, Cain and Sanders could very well land at the same school. And Texas is an appealing option for both. (Holland)

Horns247’s EJ Holland sat down with Port Neches-Groves head coach Brandon Faircloth to get his thoughts on Texas quarterback commit Roschon Johnson and more. Here is the full Q&A:

EJ: How much has Roschon Johnson progressed this offseason?

BF: The first thing I can say is nobody works harder than he does. Roschon is on our field everyday at 5:45 a.m. pulling a sled. Yesterday when I left, he was here at 5 p.m. throwing into the net. It’s easy to see progression when you work as hard as he does. Not only is he a great player, but he’s also a great student. He does a great job in the classroom. He has a 4.0 GPA. He makes us all really good coaches. He still remembers things that I taught him in the seventh grade. He’s extremely intelligent and a very hard worker. He does everything the right way.

EJ: What improvements have you seen him make from the end of the season to now during spring ball?

BF: What we feel improves players the most is the weight room. He had a great offseason. Mechanically, he’s better. He has a stronger arm. He’s more accurate. That stuff all comes from the weight room as your body continues to mature. He’s gotten faster, which I don’t know how that’s possible. He does a great job in our meetings. He’s improved in every area. He’s such a hard worker that he’s going to make sure he does. Like I said, he does things before and after school. He’s always here. When you drop by, Roschon Johnson is at The Reservation running or throwing.

EJ: From an evaluation aspect, what are some of his biggest strengths at quarterback?

BF: I would say his decision-making. He protects the football. He understands where to throw the ball and where not to throw the ball. Last year, he threw 35 touchdowns with only five interceptions. He does a good job of helping us throw the ball. He scored 65 total touchdowns, so he gets in the end zone. If you protect the football and you put it in the end zone, you’re going to give your team a chance to be successful. That’s something he’ll continue to do at Texas. He makes great decisions on the field, and he’s a great leader. I didn’t think his arm could get stronger, but he’s making throws he’ll have to make in college, and he’s putting them on the money.

EJ: What are some areas that he still needs to improve on?

BF: I think Roschon would tell you he needs to wok at everything. He wouldn’t tell you he’s good at anything. He’s got a chip on his shoulder. He’s so humble. All quarterbacks need to work on accuracy and footwork. That’s what we’re doing with him. Coach (Tim) Beck will tell you that’s what the quarterbacks at Texas need to work on. No quarterback is ever a finished product. That’s being really picky. He completed 70 percent of his passes and has the best feet in the world. He’s about as perfect as any quarterback we’ve had.

EJ: You mentioned Coach Beck and Texas, how do you see Roschon fitting into their offensive scheme?

BF: We run very similar offenses. We started running this offense in 2006. Before Coach (Tom) Herman was at Texas, we made two trips to Ohio State and learned what they were doing. It kind of worked out that way. We call some of the same plays as they do. We run almost every scheme that they run. There isn’t anything Roschon doesn’t do since he was in the seventh grade. As far as the skeleton, we’re very similar to them. We’re similar to Auburn, and Coach (Herb) Hand just got on board. I think that helps Roschon even more. That will put a little Auburn mix on it. He can carry the ball 40 times, and he can throw the ball 50 times if you need him to. He’s a true dual-threat guy. He’s won a lot of games with his arm and his legs.

EJ: What are your overall thoughts on Tom Herman and the job he’s doing at Texas?

BF: I’ve been a fan of Coach Herman for a really long time. When he was at Ohio State, some high school coaches from Port Neches-Groves flew out there and didn’t know what to expect. Coach Herman took us in and helped us. There are no bigger fans of Coach Herman than myself and our staff. He’s a humble guy and a hard worker. He’s great for high school coaches. When he came back to the University of Houston, I was really excited. When he moved on to Texas, I knew he would do a great job. He’s a great recruiter. They are tirelessly recruiting, and it’s shown with the classes they’ve had. (Holland)

Fort Worth Nolan Catholic defensive end NaNa Osafo-Mensah is closing in on his decision. The four-star defensive end is set to make his announcement this Saturday during his school spring game. As we’ve reported in the past, it feels like Notre Dame has the edge here. I was able to see Osafo-Mensah in action on Saturday, and I spoke with multiple sources regarding his upcoming decision. I also spoke with Osafo-Mensah on the record following a spring practice at his school.

Osafo-Mensah said he had a great time on his Texas visit, and he mentioned the coaching staff, current players and family atmosphere as things which stood out in favor of the Longhorns. One thing he also mentioned, was a desire for his father to see him play more, and that staying in Texas would help him accomplish that. Osafo-Mensah has also been wearing nothing but Texas gear for the past few weeks, and he was in Texas shorts and gloves during his practice. Osafo-Mensah said that he planned to sit down with his family during the week and discuss the pros and cons of each school leading up to his decision. A source close to him told me that the decision has already been made.

I still get the feeling that Notre Dame is the overall favorite here, but there are some mixed messages happening behind the scenes. While most sources agree that the Irish seem to be the leader, several other sources have indicated that they were told the opposite. This could be a case of a confused kid telling people what they want to hear, or an attempt to put a smokescreen out there. From what I gather, Notre Dame offers the cultural fit and academic atmosphere he’s looking for which is why they hold the lead at this point.

Texas also has the academic experience he’s looking for, and the proximity to home is something that is appealing to him. Osafo-Mensah plans to shut things down once he commits and enroll early. I have no reason not to believe him, but one source close to him said that no matter what happens, “it’s a long way until he signs.” (Roach)

IT

Earlier in the spring I was asked for percentages and couldn't deliver, simply because outside of a couple players, trend-lines hadn't been established yet. UT's patient approach this cycle also wasn't doing me any favors. I said I'd circle back later in the spring visit season and here we are.

The first thing you need to do when sussing out percentages is understanding the top targets. Those are going to be the players who are recruited with the full pitch, and with UT's lack of success this decade as well as OU and A&M recruiting very well, that full pitch is required to land a player.

Commitments: 

Each one of these guys is solid.

QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX)
TE Brayden Liebrock, Chandler (Chandler, AZ)
DT T'Vondre Sweat, Huntsville (Huntsville, TX)
LB De'Gabriel Floyd, Westlake (Westlake Village, CA)
CB Kenyatta Watson, Grayson (Loganville, GA)
ATH Jordan Whittington, Cuero (Cuero, TX)

Targets:

RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL): I've long maintained Texas was in great position, in part because the in-state Louisiana crop would be too good for LSU to ignore. With Cain being from Baton Rouge along with LSU's track record at the position, they would have been the favorites in almost every other cycle. But LSU already has a commitment from Tyrion Davis and is looking good for John Emery Jr. Even without this external benefit, Texas would have been in solid position thanks to Stan Drayton. I like Texas long-term, here, but will feel better if Emery Jr. does indeed pick LSU. 75%

RB Trey Sanders, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL): Sanders told EJ Holland that he and Cain have discussed splitting carries on the next level too, and I believe those quotes are in good faith, but I hear he's a virtual lock to Florida where his brother plays. I'd bet he visits UT before pulling the trigger to Florida in the fall. 10%

WR Elijah Higgins, Bowie (Austin, TX): Higgins was supposed to be at Stanford this past weekend but I'm not sure if that visit occurred. They're a big concern, as is UT's poor passing offense in recent years. Until I hear back on his current feelings towards Stanford it's hard to put good percentage on this one. I think UT is trailing the field but could be off. 30%

WR Garrett Wilson, Lake Travis (Austin, TX) - OHIO STATE: The staff will obviously keep tabs and try and steal this one late, but that will require a successful passing offense to even have a chance. UT needs process to lead to results here. 20%

WR Dylan Wright, West Mesquite (Mesquite, TX): The Prospect Board kinda sucked this weekend, in part because Wright...gasp...visited College Station. Yeah, that's going to happen. No team will recruit Wright harder than Texas and we feel UT is in the best current position. This one could have a twist or turn along the way. 60%

WR Jake Smith, Notre Dame Prep (Scottsdale, AZ): Smith will take his USC official visit this weekend before countering with one to Texas to open up the month of June. If Texas beats USC for Smith, on the heels of landing De'Gabriel Floyd, then the West is truly wide open and Scipio was right all along. Normally we don't want that but we can make an exception. This is probably too low. 85%

WR Makiya Tongue, University Lab (Baton Rouge, LA): With Higgins looking iffy the staff has an exceptional option to replace him in the the multi-faceted Louisiana prospect. Tongue has been assured he'll be able to start his career off at wide receiver, and that's helped Texas propel to the forefront of his recruitment. Still, there are some unknowns: What happens if LSU offers, or if Texas lands Higgins? 50%

TE Jared Wiley, Temple (Temple, TX): Texas has the stud Liebrock committed but still wants Wiley as best we can tell. This would put tight end depth in an enviable position. Wiley is a very interesting prospect, the kind people underestimate but then are watching him get drafted a few years down the road. 85% (would have him at 90 but just want to make sure he schedules a visit and is pushed to commit)

OL Branson Bragg, Crandall (Crandall, TX): It was likely Texas, then Stanford, then UT refined its pitch and got Herb Hand more involved and now it's Texas again. While he was winning gold at State in the shot put, his family was visiting with the UT coaches. You know, how you do. This one looks great. 80%

OL Andrew Coker, Taylor (Katy, TX): Not long after EJ Ndoma-Ogar selected the Sooners, the staff dropped an offer in Coker's lap. Probably a guard. He's seen his stock soar, with OU also joining the fray. He knows everyone expects him to end up at A&M but he wants to make some visits. 25%

OL Kenyon Green, Atascocita (Humble, TX): Is he likely going to end up at A&M? At this point, I'd say yes. Is Texas out of it? Nah, and he and his family would scoff at that notion. Some think Green could commit to A&M this summer but I've consistently heard he's going to take all of his visits and won't decide before the season. It's recruiting, so it could change, but this one will go on for a while and the longer it does, the better. Texas doesn't have a rich history of flipping A&M commits, but it does have a nice recent one of prolonging recruitments of perceived Aggie locks and going in for the late steal. 30%

OL Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX): We don't think Johnson will announce any time soon, but we're also not concerned. He's become close with members of the team and coaching staff and we believe that will only strengthen over the coming months. 85% (would be higher if he was going to commit soon)

OL Javonne Shepherd, North Forest (Houston, TX): Does anyone think Texas would have landed his teammate as a preferred walk-on running back if it wasn't implied Shepherd would follow him on to Austin? We feel real good here, and aren't too concerned over Alabama. I think he wants to stay closer to his family and I'm not sure Alabama will be pushing when it counts because of his floor. Still, Texas needs to stay all over this one throughout. 80%

OL Stacey Wilkins, Camden Fairview (Camden, AR): I'm mildly surprised he isn't committed to Oklahoma yet. This is a bit of a hard one to follow, just ask Arkansas. 25%

DL DeMarvin Leal, Judson (Converse, TX) - TEXAS A&M: This one is a dead horse for now but I think Texas is nearly a coin flip. We'll be following this one up until he walks to the fax machine. 45%

DL NaNa Osafo-Mensah, Nolan Catholic (Fort Worth, TX): We heard Notre Dame still led immediately after his Texas official visit which is usually the death knell but then an interesting thing happened -- his parents started discussing proximity. Normally you see this happen much later in the cycle as it finally dawns on a family that going far away from home is a big commitment for all involved. NaNa told Justin how important it will be for his parents to make it to games. With his decision looming next Saturday this one just became much tougher to handicap and it might be time to take NaNa's proclamations this is a coin flip at face value. Hmmm. By a slim margin I suspect he'll select Notre Dame but it won't be close to over if he does. 60% (on where he signs)

DL Marcus Stripling, Mayde Creek (Houston, TX): Things between Texas and Stripling have been awfully quiet, though he did visit earlier in the spring. This one still appears to be an A&M/OU battle with many having him as an Aggie lock. I don't think it's that assured. 10%

DL Zach Williams, Joe T. Robinson (Little Rock, AR): Texas is certainly making a push for him, but with his father having played in Fayetteville it's hard for me to predict Texas. This one certainly merits watching, and we believe it's currently a two team race. 40%

LB David Gbenda, Cinco Ranch (Katy, TX): He's wanting to slow things down and there's some talk that maybe A&M slowed down on him. I need to figure out hard the staff is pushing. Keep in mind there are numerous other options. 75% (if they push)

LB Lakia Henry, Dodge City C.C. (Dodge City, KS): He's mentioned multiple times he plans on visiting but until that takes place it's hard to put a percentage on him. If he does make it, one would have to think the tandem sell of Gary Johnson's success and Todd Orlando's tutelage would give him something to think about. 20% (with the potential for a lot of variance)

LB Rian Davis, Wekiva (Apopka, FL): Things are about to get a bit interesting with the former Houston area resident. He's still trying to make it to Austin in early June ahead of announcing his top-3 on June 11th. He says even if he doesn't make it to Texas in early June they may make his top-3. He'll take an official visit to each one of those schools. If he was still living in Houston, I'd be higher on UT's chances. I *think* UT makes his top-3 even if he doesn't visit in June. I could see Bama here. 25%

CB Marcus Banks, Spring Dekaney (Houston, TX): Banks will announce at The Opening in late June or early July. Before then he'll visit LSU and maybe Texas again. There are whispers that LSU is not pushing hard for him and if that's the case the writing seems to be on the wall. 75% (family ties to Baton Rouge keep me from going higher)

CB Derek Stingley, Dunham School (Baton Rouge, LA): UT is in his final three (probably two) along with LSU and Florida. That should be good enough for some late cycle drama but picking anyone over LSU at this point is foolish. 15%

DB Chris Adimora, Mayfair (Lakewood, CA): Admiora's recent quotes in the Humidor were positively glowing and we've heard things look extremely well behind the scenes. If I knew him better I bet his off-the-record discussion would have been truly illuminating. He's a great fit, he loves the defense, he loves the feel of Austin, and he wants to leave the state. 85%

DB Jalen Catalon, Legacy (Mansfield, TX): Justin has more on Catalon. I'll just say I have trouble seeing him anywhere but Austin. 75%

DB Demani Richardson, Waxahachie (Waxahachie, TX) - TEXAS A&M: Step 1 is to get him to visit. Step 1 isn't going so well at this point but it certainly isn't for lack of effort on Coach Naivar's part. I still think he'll visit at some point, maybe even this summer, and things will get interesting. 30%

ATH Bru McCoy, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA): I have trouble seeing him anywhere but USC but he's visited and has Floyd in his ear. Like Tongue, McCoy wants to play wide receiver but defense is what will require him to hire an agent and an accountant one day. I'm confident Texas will get him back for an official and this has the potential to get interesting. 20%

JALEN CATALON

The top safety on UT’s big board dropped his Top 8 over the weekend. While Clemson was his leader for well over a year, Texas and Craig Naivar have done an incredible job over the last six months. To the point you could say UT might be the team to beat. He wants to decide before the end of his summer year, so let's look at each of the eight schools' chances.

Disclaimer: The bet on Catalon isn't versus all those schools, it's against the field. 

Texas: He loves Naivar, loves his Texas baseball offer, and he's been to ATX more than any other school - 50%

Ohio State: He sees Jeff Okudah, Baron Browning, and Garrett Wilson Columbus-bound. He also sees a winning program nowhere close to home - 2.5%

Alabama: It's Alabama; if they offer they'll be on most Top Schools list - 2.5%

Clemson: They were his first offer and recruited him the hardest for the longest. I bet they get an OV. - 15%

Arkansas: Chad Morris is his primary contact, his girlfriend attends the Land of Hogs, and its not too far. - 5%

Nebraska: Scott Frost is building something, just probably not with Catalon. - 0%

TCU: The one to watch. They turn Catalons into NFL DBs. He's likes the Frogs. - 15%

OU: Mother went to graduate school there, but think OU has its eyes on others. Still a factor if he OVs. 5%

I wouldn't be surprised to see Catalon make a few summer trips. He's enjoying the recruiting process, but he might see it as a distraction during his senior year.

Right now, Texas looks damn good here. But they have to maintain. Luckily he's the priority for Naivar. I'll have an interview with the 4-star multi-sport stud later this week.

ZACH WILLIAMS

We spoke about Williams in the Humidor. Here's a little more background on the recently named 4-star DE from Little Rock (AR).

“I love the facilities," said Williams. "Texas has technology integrated into everything. The weight racks in the weight room, the training room, the locker room. Technology all over.”

Williams holds over 20+ offers including Alabama, Georgia, California, and Florida, not to mention a half-dozen Ivy League institutions. But it looks like a Texas-Arkansas battle at this point.

“If I chose Texas,” said Williams, “I think I would fit in great coming off the edge. UT runs a 3-4 scheme on defense. The DEs are hybrids. Coach Giles said I would be a weak side OLB/DE. Mainly a pass rusher with some pass dropping as well. I would put my hand down every now and then. The coaches are telling me that my speed is very important to coming off the edge.”

For the defensive end position in 2019, this is positive news. They'll need at least four in 2019. Williams would make it a good foundation, along with Huntsville's T'Vondre Sweat.

While a lot of attention is given to Converse Judson's defensive front, there's a player in the back seven integral to the Rockets' defensive success.

2019 DB Rashad Wisdom doesn't stand very tall at 5-foot-9, but he has a lot of explosiveness in his frame. He rattled off a 4.66 forty in February at the Houston Regional where he also added a 35.5 inch vertical and a 36-foot powerball, both part of a 96.39 SPARQ score.

Wisdom does a little of everything for Judson. He has offers to play running back from Boston College, Syracuse, and Virginia.

Other colleges see him as a DB and possibly a kick returner.

"It’s just a blessing really, being able to talk to all these coaches and everything," Wisdom said Friday. "Having the opportunity to possibly play for one of their schools one day is just a blessing. I just hope that with my hard work and motivation, it just keeps coming and God just keeps blessing me."

Wisdom has made recent visits to both Texas and Texas A&M. He visited A&M with teammate DeMarvin Leal the weekend of the Aggies' spring game, and keeps in contact with Terry Price and Mike Elko. The Aggie DC and Wisdom have talked about playing Rover in the Aggie defense.

He also keeps in contact with Texas. Jason Washington saw him practice twice in recent weeks, and talked to Wisdom following the UT spring game.

"I talked to Coach Wash," Wisdom said. "He likes me as well. He said I could play nickel in their defense. He’ll talk to me every now and then, but Texas it’s for DB."

Texas schools like Rice, North Texas, Tulane, and UTSA have talked to him about playing both sides of the ball. He's yet to receive a P5 offer from an in-state school, but with another strong season that likely will change.

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

Earlier in the spring I was asked for percentages and couldn't deliver, simply because outside of a couple players, trend-lines hadn't been established yet. UT's patient approach this cycle also wasn't doing me any favors. I said I'd circle back later in the spring visit season and here we are.

The first thing you need to do when sussing out percentages is understanding the top targets. Those are going to be the players who are recruited with the full pitch, and with UT's lack of success this decade as well as OU and A&M recruiting very well, that full pitch is required to land a player.

Commitments: 

Each one of these guys is solid.

QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX)
TE Brayden Liebrock, Chandler (Chandler, AZ)
DT T'Vondre Sweat, Huntsville (Huntsville, TX)
LB De'Gabriel Floyd, Westlake (Westlake Village, CA)
CB Kenyatta Watson, Grayson (Loganville, GA)
ATH Jordan Whittington, Cuero (Cuero, TX)

Targets:

RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL): I've long maintained Texas was in great position, in part because the in-state Louisiana crop would be too good for LSU to ignore. With Cain being from Baton Rouge along with LSU's track record at the position, they would have been the favorites in almost every other cycle. But LSU already has a commitment from Tyrion Davis and is looking good for John Emery Jr. Even without this external benefit, Texas would have been in solid position thanks to Stan Drayton. I like Texas long-term, here, but will feel better if Emery Jr. does indeed pick LSU. 75%

RB Trey Sanders, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL): Sanders told EJ Holland that he and Cain have discussed splitting carries on the next level too, and I believe those quotes are in good faith, but I hear he's a virtual lock to Florida where his brother plays. I'd bet he visits UT before pulling the trigger to Florida in the fall. 10%

WR Elijah Higgins, Bowie (Austin, TX): Higgins was supposed to be at Stanford this past weekend but I'm not sure if that visit occurred. They're a big concern, as is UT's poor passing offense in recent years. Until I hear back on his current feelings towards Stanford it's hard to put good percentage on this one. I think UT is trailing the field but could be off. 30%

WR Garrett Wilson, Lake Travis (Austin, TX) - OHIO STATE: The staff will obviously keep tabs and try and steal this one late, but that will require a successful passing offense to even have a chance. UT needs process to lead to results here. 20%

WR Dylan Wright, West Mesquite (Mesquite, TX): The Prospect Board kinda sucked this weekend, in part because Wright...gasp...visited College Station. Yeah, that's going to happen. No team will recruit Wright harder than Texas and we feel UT is in the best current position. This one could have a twist or turn along the way. 60%

WR Jake Smith, Notre Dame Prep (Scottsdale, AZ): Smith will take his USC official visit this weekend before countering with one to Texas to open up the month of June. If Texas beats USC for Smith, on the heels of landing De'Gabriel Floyd, then the West is truly wide open and Scipio was right all along. Normally we don't want that but we can make an exception. This is probably too low. 85%

WR Makiya Tongue, University Lab (Baton Rouge, LA): With Higgins looking iffy the staff has an exceptional option to replace him in the the multi-faceted Louisiana prospect. Tongue has been assured he'll be able to start his career off at wide receiver, and that's helped Texas propel to the forefront of his recruitment. Still, there are some unknowns: What happens if LSU offers, or if Texas lands Higgins? 50%

TE Jared Wiley, Temple (Temple, TX): Texas has the stud Liebrock committed but still wants Wiley as best we can tell. This would put tight end depth in an enviable position. Wiley is a very interesting prospect, the kind people underestimate but then are watching him get drafted a few years down the road. 85% (would have him at 90 but just want to make sure he schedules a visit and is pushed to commit)

OL Branson Bragg, Crandall (Crandall, TX): It was likely Texas, then Stanford, then UT refined its pitch and got Herb Hand more involved and now it's Texas again. While he was winning gold at State in the shot put, his family was visiting with the UT coaches. You know, how you do. This one looks great. 80%

OL Andrew Coker, Taylor (Katy, TX): Not long after EJ Ndoma-Ogar selected the Sooners, the staff dropped an offer in Coker's lap. Probably a guard. He's seen his stock soar, with OU also joining the fray. He knows everyone expects him to end up at A&M but he wants to make some visits. 25%

OL Kenyon Green, Atascocita (Humble, TX): Is he likely going to end up at A&M? At this point, I'd say yes. Is Texas out of it? Nah, and he and his family would scoff at that notion. Some think Green could commit to A&M this summer but I've consistently heard he's going to take all of his visits and won't decide before the season. It's recruiting, so it could change, but this one will go on for a while and the longer it does, the better. Texas doesn't have a rich history of flipping A&M commits, but it does have a nice recent one of prolonging recruitments of perceived Aggie locks and going in for the late steal. 30%

OL Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX): We don't think Johnson will announce any time soon, but we're also not concerned. He's become close with members of the team and coaching staff and we believe that will only strengthen over the coming months. 85% (would be higher if he was going to commit soon)

OL Javonne Shepherd, North Forest (Houston, TX): Does anyone think Texas would have landed his teammate as a preferred walk-on running back if it wasn't implied Shepherd would follow him on to Austin? We feel real good here, and aren't too concerned over Alabama. I think he wants to stay closer to his family and I'm not sure Alabama will be pushing when it counts because of his floor. Still, Texas needs to stay all over this one throughout. 80%

OL Stacey Wilkins, Camden Fairview (Camden, AR): I'm mildly surprised he isn't committed to Oklahoma yet. This is a bit of a hard one to follow, just ask Arkansas. 25%

DL DeMarvin Leal, Judson (Converse, TX) - TEXAS A&M: This one is a dead horse for now but I think Texas is nearly a coin flip. We'll be following this one up until he walks to the fax machine. 45%

DL NaNa Osafo-Mensah, Nolan Catholic (Fort Worth, TX): We heard Notre Dame still led immediately after his Texas official visit which is usually the death knell but then an interesting thing happened -- his parents started discussing proximity. Normally you see this happen much later in the cycle as it finally dawns on a family that going far away from home is a big commitment for all involved. NaNa told Justin how important it will be for his parents to make it to games. With his decision looming next Saturday this one just became much tougher to handicap and it might be time to take NaNa's proclamations this is a coin flip at face value. Hmmm. By a slim margin I suspect he'll select Notre Dame but it won't be close to over if he does. 60% (on where he signs)

DL Marcus Stripling, Mayde Creek (Houston, TX): Things between Texas and Stripling have been awfully quiet, though he did visit earlier in the spring. This one still appears to be an A&M/OU battle with many having him as an Aggie lock. I don't think it's that assured. 10%

DL Zach Williams, Joe T. Robinson (Little Rock, AR): Texas is certainly making a push for him, but with his father having played in Fayetteville it's hard for me to predict Texas. This one certainly merits watching, and we believe it's currently a two team race. 40%

LB David Gbenda, Cinco Ranch (Katy, TX): He's wanting to slow things down and there's some talk that maybe A&M slowed down on him. I need to figure out hard the staff is pushing. Keep in mind there are numerous other options. 75% (if they push)

LB Lakia Henry, Dodge City C.C. (Dodge City, KS): He's mentioned multiple times he plans on visiting but until that takes place it's hard to put a percentage on him. If he does make it, one would have to think the tandem sell of Gary Johnson's success and Todd Orlando's tutelage would give him something to think about. 20% (with the potential for a lot of variance)

LB Rian Davis, Wekiva (Apopka, FL): Things are about to get a bit interesting with the former Houston area resident. He's still trying to make it to Austin in early June ahead of announcing his top-3 on June 11th. He says even if he doesn't make it to Texas in early June they may make his top-3. He'll take an official visit to each one of those schools. If he was still living in Houston, I'd be higher on UT's chances. I *think* UT makes his top-3 even if he doesn't visit in June. I could see Bama here. 25%

CB Marcus Banks, Spring Dekaney (Houston, TX): Banks will announce at The Opening in late June or early July. Before then he'll visit LSU and maybe Texas again. There are whispers that LSU is not pushing hard for him and if that's the case the writing seems to be on the wall. 75% (family ties to Baton Rouge keep me from going higher)

CB Derek Stingley, Dunham School (Baton Rouge, LA): UT is in his final three (probably two) along with LSU and Florida. That should be good enough for some late cycle drama but picking anyone over LSU at this point is foolish. 15%

DB Chris Adimora, Mayfair (Lakewood, CA): Admiora's recent quotes in the Humidor were positively glowing and we've heard things look extremely well behind the scenes. If I knew him better I bet his off-the-record discussion would have been truly illuminating. He's a great fit, he loves the defense, he loves the feel of Austin, and he wants to leave the state. 85%

DB Jalen Catalon, Legacy (Mansfield, TX): Justin has more on Catalon. I'll just say I have trouble seeing him anywhere but Austin. 75%

DB Demani Richardson, Waxahachie (Waxahachie, TX) - TEXAS A&M: Step 1 is to get him to visit. Step 1 isn't going so well at this point but it certainly isn't for lack of effort on Coach Naivar's part. I still think he'll visit at some point, maybe even this summer, and things will get interesting. 30%

ATH Bru McCoy, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA): I have trouble seeing him anywhere but USC but he's visited and has Floyd in his ear. Like Tongue, McCoy wants to play wide receiver but defense is what will require him to hire an agent and an accountant one day. I'm confident Texas will get him back for an official and this has the potential to get interesting. 20%

JALEN CATALON

The top safety on UT’s big board dropped his Top 8 over the weekend. While Clemson was his leader for well over a year, Texas and Craig Naivar have done an incredible job over the last six months. To the point you could say UT might be the team to beat. He wants to decide before the end of his summer year, so let's look at each of the eight schools' chances.

Disclaimer: The bet on Catalon isn't versus all those schools, it's against the field. 

Texas: He loves Naivar, loves his Texas baseball offer, and he's been to ATX more than any other school - 50%

Ohio State: He sees Jeff Okudah, Baron Browning, and Garrett Wilson Columbus-bound. He also sees a winning program nowhere close to home - 2.5%

Alabama: It's Alabama; if they offer they'll be on most Top Schools list - 2.5%

Clemson: They were his first offer and recruited him the hardest for the longest. I bet they get an OV. - 15%

Arkansas: Chad Morris is his primary contact, his girlfriend attends the Land of Hogs, and its not too far. - 5%

Nebraska: Scott Frost is building something, just probably not with Catalon. - 0%

TCU: The one to watch. They turn Catalons into NFL DBs. He's likes the Frogs. - 15%

OU: Mother went to graduate school there, but think OU has its eyes on others. Still a factor if he OVs. 5%

I wouldn't be surprised to see Catalon make a few summer trips. He's enjoying the recruiting process, but he might see it as a distraction during his senior year.

Right now, Texas looks damn good here. But they have to maintain. Luckily he's the priority for Naivar. I'll have an interview with the 4-star multi-sport stud later this week.

ZACH WILLIAMS

We spoke about Williams in the Humidor. Here's a little more background on the recently named 4-star DE from Little Rock (AR).

“I love the facilities," said Williams. "Texas has technology integrated into everything. The weight racks in the weight room, the training room, the locker room. Technology all over.”

Williams holds over 20+ offers including Alabama, Georgia, California, and Florida, not to mention a half-dozen Ivy League institutions. But it looks like a Texas-Arkansas battle at this point.

“If I chose Texas,” said Williams, “I think I would fit in great coming off the edge. UT runs a 3-4 scheme on defense. The DEs are hybrids. Coach Giles said I would be a weak side OLB/DE. Mainly a pass rusher with some pass dropping as well. I would put my hand down every now and then. The coaches are telling me that my speed is very important to coming off the edge.”

For the defensive end position in 2019, this is positive news. They'll need at least four in 2019. Williams would make it a good foundation, along with Huntsville's T'Vondre Sweat.

While a lot of attention is given to Converse Judson's defensive front, there's a player in the back seven integral to the Rockets' defensive success.

2019 DB Rashad Wisdom doesn't stand very tall at 5-foot-9, but he has a lot of explosiveness in his frame. He rattled off a 4.66 forty in February at the Houston Regional where he also added a 35.5 inch vertical and a 36-foot powerball, both part of a 96.39 SPARQ score.

Wisdom does a little of everything for Judson. He has offers to play running back from Boston College, Syracuse, and Virginia.

Other colleges see him as a DB and possibly a kick returner.

"It’s just a blessing really, being able to talk to all these coaches and everything," Wisdom said Friday. "Having the opportunity to possibly play for one of their schools one day is just a blessing. I just hope that with my hard work and motivation, it just keeps coming and God just keeps blessing me."

Wisdom has made recent visits to both Texas and Texas A&M. He visited A&M with teammate DeMarvin Leal the weekend of the Aggies' spring game, and keeps in contact with Terry Price and Mike Elko. The Aggie DC and Wisdom have talked about playing Rover in the Aggie defense.

He also keeps in contact with Texas. Jason Washington saw him practice twice in recent weeks, and talked to Wisdom following the UT spring game.

"I talked to Coach Wash," Wisdom said. "He likes me as well. He said I could play nickel in their defense. He’ll talk to me every now and then, but Texas it’s for DB."

Texas schools like Rice, North Texas, Tulane, and UTSA have talked to him about playing both sides of the ball. He's yet to receive a P5 offer from an in-state school, but with another strong season that likely will change.

IT has had a lot of confidence in Shepherd for a while now.  Hoping they are right.

32 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach on NaNa:

"I've stuck around on NaNa because there are some things we are hearing that are favorable for Texas. I think Notre Dame is going to be the pick, but there is a lot of confusing information behind the scenes."

Including this post.

42 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach on NaNa:

"I've stuck around on NaNa because there are some things we are hearing that are favorable for Texas. I think Notre Dame is going to be the pick, but there is a lot of confusing information behind the scenes."

And that's why they get paid the big bucks.

Just now, Machinator said:

Way I read it: NaNa is picking ND on Saturday.

ND has a lot to offer.  It's a quality school and he and his parents are education minded which is a good thing.  Still, I think a business degree from UT is very comparable with a ND degree probably carrying a little more weight if he's wanting to go work on Wall St (in Texas a UT degree is just as good or better).  But that's a win/win decision for him.  Can't fault him.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Way I read it: NaNa is picking ND on Saturday, but we have a shot at flipping him with a good season on the field and by continuing to press the proximity angle.

But still, healthy amount of click bait.

I read it: Nana wants Texas, but parents want ND.

Edited by HtownHorn

Regarding Tyler Johnson, his father is an executive for a Fortune 1000 and is apparently an extremely analytical guy. He’s not going to be rushed into decisions and he’s not going to have his son feel that way either. It won’t surprise me if this carries very easily into the fall, even without Texas having a true competitor for his signature. 

12 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Branson Bragg got a big ratings bump.  Was in the low 300's nationally and is now #165 in composite.

Garrett Johnson, Stingley, Dax, Nana, EJNO, Wilkins, and Carter all got bumps as well