Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Smith could have indicated to the coaches that he was coming here previously, but the staff could have decided to hold off on telegraphing a silent commit from him until after his USC visit, right? It's plausible that he was in the bag already, but that today's or yesterday's emoji doesn't necessarily mean someone new behind the scenes, just that someone who was already counted behind the scenes is now made more public 

And I hate myself for analyzing fucking twitter emojis 

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

It wasn't nostalgia. Your earlier post suggests another straw man about those waxing poetic about the cornucopia of rich subject matter from the panoply of masterful posters from days gone by.

Sorry the pith ruined your day and cast me as a wannabe intellectual elitist who, gadzooks, has read New Yorker magazine. I will strive to match your salt-of-the-Earth ruminations in the future.

Have a myriad of last words. I will leave you with a snobby gif offered in full smugness and disdain for the masses who cannot hope to match my pith, genius, or reading list. (I even use a fancy pants Oxford comma!) 

9a52cb80f4ac267521c18dd2f4ceab4f.gif

Romavicta vs CTJ thesaurus talk not going away....

Sorry, couldnt resist. 

Who is your guess to the new "Shh" if it is not Jake Smith, Chris Adimora, or Jared Wiley? Makiya Tongue? Jaylen Waddle? Deunte Chapman?
Rashan Gary is my guess..

Or one of the supposed silents someone mentioned above. (Which I can't recall atm)

4 hours ago, NaTeWHO said:

Looked into this a little bit and think Mehringer was at Permian to see Peyton Powell. He's a transfer from private school Midland Christian and may have been under the radar because of it.

https://247sports.com/Player/Peyton-Powell-46055198

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8185930/59d7b014b3c85306d027e839

EDIT: Played QB for Midland Christian as a Junior. Listed on 247 as WR/S, but ranked as ATH.

Peyton Powell was likely the top target, but as stated downthread they were also there for OT Landon Peterson (6' 6" 265#) and possibly LB/DE Matt Jones (6' 3" 227#). 

Powell and Peterson have a shitload of D1 offers. Powell has offers from Ohio State, Arkansas, Virginia, Baylor, SMU, Georgia Tech, Texas Tech, Washington State, etc. Most as an athlete/wr/db, but Virginia and G Tech are looking at him at QB. Louisville was at the spring game and I thought they had offered as well, but I don't see them on the list.

Peterson has offers from most of the same places as Powell, plus others like TCU and Colorado. I'd heard if he was offered by TCU he'd jump on it but so far no word. To be honest he's probably the second  best lineman on the team but he has that size that cannot be coached.

Jones is lagging behind the other two on offers and likely will. I doubt seriously Texas would offer, but he will make someone a hell of a football player.

5 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I kind of agree with you the feel of the board has changed. When I first started lurking, and even when I started posting, there was a very stark contrast in mood between the Football and Recruiting boards.

The board hasn't changed, you're just feeling this way because the Shag -> Surly transition happened during the off season, and the Football board always migrates to the Recruiting board during the off season.  This board will return to y'all's idealized vision of what it should be in September.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, TriStone said:

The board hasn't changed, you're just feeling this way because the Shag -> Surly transition happened during the off season, and the Football board always migrates to the Recruiting board during the off season.  This board will return to y'all's idealized vision of what it should be in September.

Wow - that avatar is a blast from the past.

26 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Mira.thumb.jpg.096e50eceb6b182af746f5ab6

That was EARLY Hornfans, no? 

I mean, like 2001 or 2002. (Maybe even before.)

Good God, why don't they just take a picture of her giving a blow job and be done with it?!?!?

I mean, the melting ice cream running down her arm?  Oh yeah...that was accidental!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I assume fatkid54 is in the slammer for the day or something, and tokamak must be in a meeting, but it's mostly the same ol' same ol. Also, nothing of importance happened on this day last year. Maybe we'll see something interesting occur this time around. 

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I didn't realize you were fatkid54's pedantic brother. I bet you're huge in Germany. 

I missed you today, too, CTJ.

latest?cb=20140304031102

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I kind of agree with you the feel of the board has changed. When I first started lurking, and even when I started posting, there was a very stark contrast in mood between the Football and Recruiting boards.  They definitely seem to have merged. Part of that was the absolute nightmare that was people talking about Charlie's abillity to coach. The range of opinions  (at least until the Kansas game) was much more disparate than the range about Herman to this point.  I purposefully avoided the Football board for a good while and a lot of us would discuss the football team on the Recruiting board just to avoid some of the most egregious posters on the Football board.

There was also some pretty ridiculous hyperbole about how great of a recruiter Charlie was, how good his classes were, etc. Seeing what Herman did last year and his strategy for this year only make that more clear.   That fueled a lot of the fun optimism on that board, plus the way Charlie recruited: the rollercoaster of "oh shit, this could all fall apart, to oh shit! we just signed a top 10 class" 2 years in a row created a fun environment.  Herman locking up most of the class by June gives us a lot less to talk about and a lot less excitement, even though I'll take his recruiting 10 times out of 10 over Charlie's in retrospect.

Tl;dr I'm with you it used to be more fun, especially during the Charlie days, but I'm not sure there's a way we get back to that. Shit changes and it will change again in the future, like say, if we actually win some football games. I see that as our best bet at moving to a more fun environment.

Have a similar feeling about this site now. I chalk it up to a bunch of pos(T)ers learning to spell the word "fuck" and liking it.

6 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

so. Mr Wiley. you are about to choose between Mizzou, SMU, and Texas? really? dosent seem strange at all? god bless the child, but somebody needs to talk to this kid. smh

*UH not SMU fwiw. And I think someone did have a come-to-Jesus with him given that he's committing this weekend.

EJ after dark: State of outside receiver recruiting

— Texas is still on the hunt for outside wide receivers this cycle, and the Longhorns have been making a quiet push for Saint Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) wide receiver Marcus Washington. Texas is pushing to get him on campus next month for an unofficial visit along with teammate and elite 2020 running back Mookie Cooper, who is slated to make it to Austin. Texas has a legitimate chance with Washington, who will announce on August 7, and is a dark horse in his recruitment. Texas Recruiting Director Bryan Carrington is playing a huge role in this one.

— Texas is still making four-star West Mesquite wide receiver Dylan Wright a top priority this cycle. We expect him to visit this summer and like where the Longhorns stand despite recent Texas A&M buzz. But he’s not going to make a decision until January, so there is a long way to go. Four-star wide receiver Elijah Higgins remains on the board as well. But from what I have been able to gather, he is leaning towards going out of state now. I would give Stanford and Ohio State the edge.

— Texas is exploring some out-of-state options at outside receiver. The Longhorns recently put offers on the table for four-star wide outs Mycah Pittman, Dannis Jackson, Jameson Williams and John Metchie. Do the Longhorns have a chance with any of the four? We’ll see. There isn’t much to report on them right now, but Texas will push for them to make their way to campus this summer

— Texas is also evaluating some high upside wide receiver in state. As we previously reported, Texas has shown interest in Midlothian Heritage product Langston Anderson, who visited UT for the spring game. Melissa wide receiver Kennedy Lewis also made a visit to Texas this offseason and will be back for the Longhorns’ summer camp on June 5. Texas assistant Drew Mehringer hit the recruiting trail yesterday and saw New Deal’s DK Blaylock and Odessa Permian’s Peyton Powell. And don't forget about Baylor commit Jaylen Ellis.

TFB says the pool party/cook out weekend will be June 15th-16th.
They should keep those things on the downlow until closer to the actual date..

Gives Terry Price more time to select the cuts of goat meat he wants to turn into charcoal briquets...and also time for Brew to get things LIT!!! at the Station..

29 minutes ago, ousux said:

They should keep those things on the downlow until closer to the actual date..

Gives Terry Price more time to select the cuts of goat meat he wants to turn into charcoal briquets...and also time for Brew to get things LIT!!! at the Station..

You mean more time to aggy it up?

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Perroni changed his pick on Andrew Coker from aggy to TCU.

Wasn’t it him and Shepherd that Green said he talks about playing with? Probably doesnt have much of an impact but wouldn’t hurt if one of the guys he’s cool with isn’t hyping aggy all the time.

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-wednesday-may-23rd/

– Texas offered 2019 Mansfield Legacy DE/DT, Taurean Carter II. The Texas offer comes on the heals of a TCU offer this past Friday…

We’ll be reaching out to Carter to find out more but one would have to think Texas will be an immediate player in this one. Carter has that prototypical Todd Orlando come off the line of scrimmage with authority and flexibility to play in his ever moving front.

Bonus, Carter is teammates with 2019 Texas safety target, Jalen Catalon. Texas is recruiting Catalon extremely hard. Catalon commenting on the Carter offer…

https://twitter.com/jcatalon27/status/998551295794536448

– (Super K)

– Players report back to school on May 29th to begin “optional” workouts. They will be welcoming in the rest of the 2018 class as well as Tre Watson and Calvin Anderson. The staff is understandably very excited about Calvin Anderson.

– I didn’t really want to post this since we reported it awhile ago, but I was asked about it again. There are no more transfer rumors floating around about any player on the football team. If you’ve been following us through the Spring you’d know that Devin Duvernay and Chris Nelson are both staying at Texas. This includes Shane Buechele. – (Will)

– Top JUCO Inside Linebacker Lakia Henry committed to Tennessee over the weekend. Texas is supposed to receive an OV in August. Texas will not let this one die. I’m going to be talking with Lakia to hopefully get some more information on his plans.

– No worries though, as another top JUCO DE/OLB Jermaine Johnson is scheduled to visit in June.

— There is a Linebacker I mentioned earlier this year, Zach Zimos who is starting to pick up some steam on the recruiting trail. He committed to Cal earlier, but just backed out it. Texas has been to see him a number of times, but will probably wait to see what happens with a few other targets before shooting him an offer. If they do, they’ll shoot to the top of the list.

– Texas has made the cut for Elite Defensive Tackle Faatui Tuitele out of Honolulu (HI).

Tuitele and his family visited Austin back in March, and while it is no surprise to us that Texas made his top five list, it is a very big surprise that USC, who was the perceived leader by many, did not make the list. The Longhorns face some stiff competition for the elite lineman, however, they are squarely in the mix for his services. We will be in touch with Faatui and have an update for you in the near future. – (Will)

– TFB has been able to confirm reports that Texas has scheduled a summer satellite camp partnering with SMU on their campus in Dallas come early June.

Furthermore, The Longhorns will be partnering with FAU for another satellite camp on June 2 in Boca Raton, FL.
Add this to in-state camps in Houston, San Marcos, Commerce, and Marshall, two on-campus camps, and out-of-state satellite camps in St. Louis (woo!) and Los Angeles.

There will probably be more to come. – (Will)

– The most recent commit (which was the latest shh) is a 2020 player. However, he may not be all the big news this week. There is a possibility Texas could be in store for more good news this week and if things go according to plan it’ll go public this week, as well.

– I meant to post this yesterday but 2020 electric WR, Mookie Cooper out of St. Louis (Trinity Catholic) tells us that he will visit Texas on June 15th and 16th for an unofficial visit. Cooper has his tickets booked. This one is confirmed.

– His teammate, 2019 WR Marcus Washington may be taking an official visit to Texas around the same time. Still awaiting final confirmation on that.

– Speaking of the weekend of June 15th/16th, Texas will be hosting their invite only pool party. You’ll recall the event last year was a big hit with the recruits. – (Super K)

However, he may not be all the big news this week. There is a possibility Texas could be in store for more good news this week and if things go according to plan it’ll go public this week, as well.

To me this says it's someone besides Wiley (since we already know he's announcing Saturday.  Any guesses?