Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How is it that Stanford is the only school we seem to lose recruits to for academic reasons?  Never hear about cal or UCLA or Virginia getting Texas athletes for that stated reason.  I guess notre dame a little bit but that’s not even true. 

Those guys are fags!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I find it amusing that pretty much everyone on this board (sans Satyanash, probably) is chomping at the bit to welcome USC, which is absolutely loaded with talent and experience at every position (except for experience at QB) to DKR this September, but even the hypothetical of playing Stanford in a neutral site game sends us into the fetal position.

Playing Stanford is like signing up to play Navy. No reward. 

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How is it that Stanford is the only school we seem to lose recruits to for academic reasons?  Never hear about cal or UCLA or Virginia getting Texas athletes for that stated reason.  I guess notre dame a little bit but that’s not even true. 

Lost NaNa Osafo-Mensah to ND this year for that reason.

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I love how I'm the third person to repeat apprehension about playing Stanford in five comments, yet everyone jumps on my statement in particular.

Anyway, Ellis' stock continues to rise. I disagree with Nahlin in that I think we offered him at the right time, before he started to resent us for not offering earlier like DaShaun White or Tommy Bush. Don't know about the other two WRs but I want Ellis.

It's called a "reputation." And you have one. You have no one else to blame for the fact that when people think "Cowering in a dark corner and rubbing their pussy while muttering that Texas will never get another elite recruit or win another game" people think Satanyash. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yikes. That's the grammar equivalent of one of your useless imgur debacles. And I chose not to go to Dartmouth, sir. That should make us all feel better. Imagine if I were an insufferable prick or something because of #HanoverLife.
Buddy of mine went to Dartmouth (true story) and turned into an insufferable prick..

This hits close to home.

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Stanford is on an entirely different tier than those schools. Its peers are the Ivy league schools. UCLA and Virginia are marginally better than Texas, if at all depending on major, and not worth the move for most people. 

• Like 1

Just now, Scholz said:

Lost NaNa Osafo-Mensah to ND this year for that reason.

My point with ND is that there is no academic advantage, despite them selling it and some believing it. I think private schools are perceived as better than they are because of the cost, and because some private schools really are great. 

There are people that think Baylor and tcu and smu are great academic universities, on par with Texas. There’s no fucking evidence of that being true. 

• Like 1

Eric Nahlin ::

I personally think the three WR offers (as I wrote in real time) were premature. That is partly based on my belief in the staff as recruiters and in the season they’ll have. Those offers and the Caldwell pursuit are a bit of a philosophical break from last year that should please Canadians. To be fair, each kid is a Texas level talent, but the question should always be are the best option? If those offers were early, assigning blame to a position coach is folly if it persists. Many managers will give their subordinates latitude to see what comes of their decision making.

This is fucking stupid. Like REALLY FUCKING STUPID.  Eric, we know you must have at least 4-5 socks on this board so stop with this insipid bullshit. Texas didn't get Garrett Wilson so it moved on to Jaylen Ellis. That offer was not too early. Smith was a take with or without Wilson and Ellis is Wilson's replacement. How is that hard to understand and in what world is that not the right offer at the right time? Higgins had backed away with a serious case of butthurtitis. Langston Anderson is worthy of an offer in his own right and if he Stern's the spot from Higgings I'm good with it. That offer was a great way to hold Higgins feet to the fire. Guess what? That motherfucker has seen Tom Herman more the past 2 weeks than Michelle has. Fuck your premature. Powell is the backup option for McCoy and Tongue and the offer timing served to increase the heat on Higgins (it worked) and to get Powell's attention as his recruitment is really taking off. They aren't backing off either McCoy or Tongue they are simply aware that they need to keep fires lit. There's plenty of shade to throw at Mehringer for other things but the timing of these 3 offers isn't one of the reasons. 

• Like 2

Kid's don't make a list and rate schools.  They go and get feel for the place.  Notre Dame has a classic old vibe and an old history and the Catholics dig it.  Stanford is calm and relatively nurturing.  Texas has energy and beautiful women.

You lose kids to some schools that just feel different from yours.  That's all there is to it.

All you can do is win and market yourself and not get pissy when you lose a few.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I love how I'm the third person to repeat apprehension about playing Stanford in five comments, yet everyone jumps on my statement in particular.

Anyway, Ellis' stock continues to rise. I disagree with Nahlin in that I think we offered him at the right time, before he started to resent us for not offering earlier like DaShaun White or Tommy Bush. Don't know about the other two WRs but I want Ellis.

Well we offered Bush pretty early, but cooled on him when he was close to committing just to get back in crunch time, but otherwise agree with your sentiment 

Eric Nahlin ::
I personally think the three WR offers (as I wrote in real time) were premature. That is partly based on my belief in the staff as recruiters and in the season they’ll have. Those offers and the Caldwell pursuit are a bit of a philosophical break from last year that should please Canadians. To be fair, each kid is a Texas level talent, but the question should always be are the best option? If those offers were early, assigning blame to a position coach is folly if it persists. Many managers will give their subordinates latitude to see what comes of their decision making.
This is fucking stupid. Like REALLY FUCKING STUPID.  Eric, we know you must have at least 4-5 socks on this board so stop with this insipid bullshit. Texas didn't get Garrett Wilson so it moved on to Jaylen Ellis. That offer was not too early. Smith was a take with or without Wilson and Ellis is Wilson's replacement. How is that hard to understand and in what world is that not the right offer at the right time? Higgins had backed away with a serious case of butthurtitis. Langston Anderson is worthy of an offer in his own right and if he Stern's the spot from Higgings I'm good with it. That offer was a great way to hold Higgins feet to the fire. Guess what? That motherfucker has seen Tom Herman more the past 2 weeks than Michelle has. Fuck your premature. Powell is the backup option for McCoy and Tongue and the offer timing served to increase the heat on Higgins (it worked) and to get Powell's attention as his recruitment is really taking off. They aren't backing off either McCoy or Tongue they are simply aware that they need to keep fires lit. There's plenty of shade to throw at Mehringer for other things but the timing of these 3 offers isn't one of the reasons. 

Nailed it.

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

I'm totally with you here, dude. I think Ellis is a guy who could be viewed as a potential take even when we were dreaming of Wilson + Higgins + Wright + Whittington + Smith. He's not as backup-plan-ish as I view Powell or Anderson.

My screwed up brain read “Powell or Anderson” as “Pamela Anderson”.

gonna need a moment alone with Bing, a search filter for twenty years ago and Safe Search turned off.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Kid's don't make a list and rate schools.  They go and get feel for the place.  Notre Dame has a classic old vibe and an old history and the Catholics dig it.  Stanford is calm and relatively nurturing.  Texas has energy and beautiful women.

You lose kids to some schools that just feel different from yours.  That's all there is to it.

All you can do is win and market yourself and not get pissy when you lose a few.

We keep losing OL to Stanford. And we lose OL to Stanford because we haven't assembled a competent unit in more than a decade and they put OL in the league. It has little to do with "feel" and everything to do with being a black hole of suck at the position for 10+ years.

• Like 1

Just now, irishtexan said:

We keep losing OL to Stanford. And we lose OL to Stanford because we haven't assembled a competent unit in more than a decade and they put OL in the league. It has little to do with "feel" and everything to do with being a black hole of suck at the position for 10+ years.

Your dad has been a black hole of suck for 10+ years.

We don’t want too many smart guys on the team. They can be problematic. They can start thinking about things like preserving their health. We need some dumb guys willing to totally sacrifice their bodies to win. Ya, that’s it.

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

That is freakishly similiar to my story. Notre Dame offered me 8k a year. Leaving a gap of.....way more than I could ever beg or borrow for. I was devastated then at the reality that I could not afford to go my dream school. It turns out that going to Texas was the best thing that I could have ever done. 

Im here in Ithaca for the wife’s reunion at Cornell and I still think Texas is a better school than this place. 

It may not seem like it to Bragg but Texas would give him every academic and professional oportunity he could get at Stanford. 

This is all true.  However, you forgot to compare the females at Texas vs. any of the ones you mentioned (with your wife at Cornell being the exception).  

Oh and don’t forget about the rules.

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

They're going too far if they're calling him a "lock". This week, mom is winning the argument and he's all "fear the tree!" and shit, but he's gone back and forth plenty.

7 hours ago, Newy25 said:

It’s not bad timing. They had bad information. A recruit does not go from wanting to go to Texas to a Stanford lock if admitted that quickly. They were either too optimistic in their interprepation of the information or they had bad info to start.  

Just because UT’s stock rose after the spring game doesn’t mean they were ever in the lead.  https://goo.gl/images/e2AjZg

• Fuck You 8

5 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Congratulations. You’ve just distinguished yourself as having the most worthless, time wasting post in surly history.

I just scrolled through your posts and none of them are worth reading, and unfortunately for you and the board, you have been doing this for a while. The fact that you are not getting better at it after so many tries speaks volumes.

Case in point: here is one of your latest posts: "We don’t want too many smart guys on the team. They can be problematic. They can start thinking about things like preserving their health. We need some dumb guys willing to totally sacrifice their bodies to win. Ya, that’s it." What the hell, man? Only teenagers would reason like this.

Now carry on.

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I just scrolled through your posts and none of them are worth reading, and unfortunately for you and the board, you have been doing this for a while. The fact that you are not getting better at it after so many tries speaks volumes.

Case in point: here is one of your latest posts: "We don’t want too many smart guys on the team. They can be problematic. They can start thinking about things like preserving their health. We need some dumb guys willing to totally sacrifice their bodies to win. Ya, that’s it." What the hell, man? Only teenagers would reason like this.

Now carry on.

No, he’s right. You’re a waste of space.

42 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Now carry on.

tenor.gif?itemid=7356251

46 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Now carry on.

So you read a post who’s last words are “Ya, that’s it” and your reaction is “man, this guys is completely earnest?”

You have some of the best first posts I’ve ever seen. Ya, that’s the ticket. 

45 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

As I've said before, get Giles a recruiter closer to "coach" DEs and watch out. Find the Jason Washington of DE coaches. 

Excellent recruiters and coaches are hard to come by. Those guys usually become head coaches. 

South Carolina’s Lance Thompson is a veteran DL coach and has done very well there so far. I’m not sure if he’d take the same position at another school unless things go downhill there since he has deep ties to the state.