Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 hours ago, deech said:

I am sure like basketball some stupid shit goes down.  But these trainers can use these higher profile recruits who can't pay to draw in some that can.  These guys don't stop working with the higher level recruits when they sign at a college.  Some keep working through college and some even if they are pros.  They probably also have facilities where athletes can train if they are in town.  

That was as non cynical an answer I can give.  

Basketball, Fifa, and everything I know about sports makes me know at my core they are getting paid though probably. Whether it be shoe Companies, coaches, universities or boosters.  

It's basically the individual version of what schools like IMG do. There's some money in it, but yeah, it would be foolish to think there weren't other forms of cash flow too.

5 hours ago, ausjala said:

My Mom died 12 years ago, after being a 35 year survivor of breast cancer. She was a nurse, and wrote the first training manuals for nurses aides that were used when the UT Nursing school was first started. I don't care for your or any other person on here insulting Moms. So keep your crap to yourself.

We all have moms, many are special to us, and they all die. I don’t care for your sensitivity so keep your crying to yourself.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cdain3 said:

EJ on shepherd

Reveal hidden contents

EJHolland247 28642 posts 63 seconds agoVIP

I just exchanged some messages with Footwork King and spoke to a Texas source about Javonne Shepherd. Here are some bullet points.

— Shepherd is expected to visit Texas A&M tomorrow, but his ride will likely be one of his high school coaches, per FK. That means Shepherd should be out of College Station before Saturday morning since he won't have to depend on Kenyon Green, who will be there all weekend.

— FK is taking care of some business in North Carolina but should be back in time to take Shepherd, Demond Demas and 2020 QB Hunter Dunn to Austin on Saturday.

— Per FK, Shepherd has informed the Texas staff that he plans to be in Austin this weekend. As we've reported since last week, Shepherd is on the visitors list.

— According to a source close to the program, there is still a chance that Shepherd doesn't make it to campus. It all depends on his transportation. But the hope is that he will be on campus.

— If everything falls into place, Shepherd will visit both Texas A&M and Texas this weekend.

— We still feel like Texas is the team to beat and will feel even better about that if he does make it to Austin.

• 2+2=4
  • 4-2=2
  • 2-4=-2
  • 4-2-2=0

E.J. After Dark

— Texas put an offer on the table for rising George Ranch defensive lineman Peter Mpagi today. This was the scholarship Mpagi had been waiting for, and we have reason to believe the Longhorns have taken command of this recruitment. Mpagi will be on campus this weekend for an unofficial visit, so this is an opportunity for the Longhorns to seal the deal. We have our Crystal Ball picks in for Texas and feel fully confident.

— JUCO linebacker and Tennessee commit Lakia Henry was trying to make an unofficial visit to Texas this weekend, but his plans fell through. However, Henry remains interested in the Longhorns and has been in contact with Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando. He will likely make an official visit at some point this fall.

— Midlothian Heritage wide receiver and recent offer Langston Anderson told me that he is in the process of setting up an unofficial visit to Texas before the dead period starts. Anderson is extremely interested in the Longhorns and is looking forward to getting his first in-depth look at the program.

— Texas recently extended an offer to four-star Saint Louis Cardinal Ritter (MO) wide receiver Jameson Williams. However, he left Texas off of his top schools list today. In related news, Oklahoma offensive line commit EJ Ndoma-Ogar is still planning to make visits but told me that he has not been in contact with Texas and does not expect to visit Austin.

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

In related news, Oklahoma offensive line commit EJ Ndoma-Ogar is still planning to make visits but told me that he has not been in contact with Texas and does not expect to visit Austin.

Good. Means the staff still feels confident about their top targets 

12 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Good ones get trained for free. They are advertising. “ I trained 25 kids who got D1 offers”

The rest getting charged entry 

IMG does the same.  I have a friend whose son plays there.  They pay $70k a year for that.  He is a decent player, is walking on somewhere.  The studs don't have to pay.

Mpagi is a year young for his grade, has just barely started lifting for some reason, has a long wingspan, and is enrolling early. Hopefully the senior hudl is dominant. Ran a 4.7 shuttle in Houston, but cut that down to a 4.4 at a recent Texas camp. Don't love the offer this early, but hard to argue with this staff's early eval hit rate, until proven otherwise. 

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

Mpagi is a year young for his grade, has just barely started lifting for some reason, has a long wingspan, and is enrolling early. Hopefully the senior hudl is dominant. Ran a 4.7 shuttle in Houston, but cut that down to a 4.4 at a recent Texas camp. Don't love the offer this early, but hard to argue with this staff's early eval hit rate, until proven otherwise. 

for a guy that is on the small end of the learning curve he has a really good feel for leverage and doesn't just try to run around an OT with speed (which he can do). If you watch his current camp clips he has really learned to punch and rip with his hands. His frame is undeniable. Think of him as the opposite of a player like James Lockhart, who was topped out physically and had good technique. Mpagi is learning at a quick rate and has both his best football and a TON of physical maturity ahead of him. 

here's a clip from the Houston camp that includes a couple of reps vs. Chad Lindberg (209) and Carson Pharris (207).  

28 minutes ago, Fud said:

There is concern that this guy is going to blow up, and they don't want to be apologizing for slow-playing him later. It's becoming clear he's a take, so ... just take him. If we had an elite DL recruiter, I'd be way less concerned about a slow-play. Plus, I've liked him as a player since the early part of the spring, so I'm biased. 

Alabama doesn't win titles taking guys like this. Wisconsin and TCU are highly competitive with rosters built with guys like this though. I like the fact that Texas is showing elite recruiting capabilities with this staff and there are strong signs that they're doing excellent evaluations, so I'll take the combo until Texas is winning 10+ again and can dictate in-state and cherry pick OOS. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Scholz said:

It's actually the best weekend to go to Schlitterbahn.  It's always empty Father's Day weekend.  All the Dads are like "Fuck that" and it's our weekend.

False. Taylor Hamm stakes out water parks. He’ll jump out of the bushes and onto Shepherds pool floatie when no one is looking. Then Hell piss in the pool. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Fud said:

He wasn't already an emoji? 

I don't track them well, and I'm not entirely sure Carrington does either. I'm sure one of the resident lawyers or accountants or engineers who jack off to tracking these things at menial levels will come along to explain shortly. This subject matter is always like a batman signal for them.

Edited by closetojumping

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't track them well, and I'm not entirely sure Carrington does either. I'm sure one of the resident lawyers or accountants or engineers who jack off to tracking these things at menial levels will come along to explain shortly. This subject matter is always like a batman signal for them.

tenor.gif?itemid=8518062

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There is concern that this guy is going to blow up, and they don't want to be apologizing for slow-playing him later. It's becoming clear he's a take, so ... just take him. If we had an elite DL recruiter, I'd be way less concerned about a slow-play. Plus, I've liked him as a player since the early part of the spring, so I'm biased. 
Alabama doesn't win titles taking guys like this. Wisconsin and TCU are highly competitive with rosters built with guys like this though. I like the fact that Texas is showing elite recruiting capabilities with this staff and there are strong signs that they're doing excellent evaluations, so I'll take the combo until Texas is winning 10+ again and can dictate in-state and cherry pick OOS. 

Interesting viewpoint on the offer. I hope this really is the situation and we haven’t dropped down 8 guys to reach him.

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

this is a lot of words when you could have just typed "Huckleberry".

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Interesting viewpoint on the offer. I hope this really is the situation and we haven’t dropped down 8 guys to reach him.

If Leal and NaNa were Horns right now, would be pursuing Mpagi? At some point in the fall, quite possible. In June? Probably not.

Edited by Machinator

for a guy that is on the small end of the learning curve he has a really good feel for leverage and doesn't just try to run around an OT with speed (which he can do). If you watch his current camp clips he has really learned to punch and rip with his hands. His frame is undeniable. Think of him as the opposite of a player like James Lockhart, who was topped out physically and had good technique. Mpagi is learning at a quick rate and has both his best football and a TON of physical maturity ahead of him. 

here's a clip from the Houston camp that includes a couple of reps vs. Chad Lindberg (209) and Carson Pharris (207).  

Haha. He schooled the OL number 209. That dude tried to anticipate an outside rush and He took 209 to town and would have decapitated 209’s Qb.

Awesome.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If Leal and NaNa were Horns right now, would be pursuing Mpagi? At some point in the fall, quite possible. In June? Probably not.

NOM has questions around him. Texas wanted him, but he wasn't separated from the pack the way some folks seem to believe. He was making an early decision, and he was good enough to lay it all out for, but he wasn't choice A while Mpagi is choice F. Recruits are always rising and falling in America. 

59 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Be careful, they're going to come after you for accepting anything less than what 'Bama and Ohio State are getting. WE WILL RETAKE OUR SPOT AMONG THE ELITE, WE WILL NOT EARN IT!

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

NOM has questions around him. Texas wanted him, but he wasn't separated from the pack the way some folks seem to believe. He was making an early decision, and he was good enough to lay it all out for, but he wasn't choice A while Mpagi is choice F. Recruits are always rising and falling in America. 

The situation is fluid, as always.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well this resident lawyer finds this silent stuff unbelievably obnoxious and painful to follow, And I prefer to be pleasured by @South Austin‘s Mom, so I’m not much help here but this did make wonder, what profession is Machinator seeing as that he’s basically a database for all recruiting info?

1 minute ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Well this resident lawyer finds this silent stuff unbelievably obnoxious and painful to follow, And I prefer to be pleasured by @South Austin‘s Mom, so I’m not much help here but this did make wonder, what profession is Machinator seeing as that he’s basically a database for all recruiting info?

I assume he's an engineer. tokamak is an engineer, I assume. Huck is an engineer. texifornia is what, a lawyer? Not sure what fatkid is, but he's one of the three. The way you disappeared around tax season, I assumed you were a tax lawyer. Anyway, it's catnip and someone will not be able to hold off addressing it. 

• Like 1