Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, ousux said:

So he's a Trojan guy but keeps mentioning aggy player comparisons? Mike Evans once, Von Miller twice..fuck dat shit.

Trojan....Brand of Condom....Some made with sheepskin....Aggys fuck sheep.  Definite connection. 

Edited by EZ$
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

So all that OB and TFB horseshit about something "not Caldwell" going down was just that - horseshit.  That's a shame because in a few hours this place is going next level ghost town for a while.  We now resume our regularly scheduled life.

Your first mistake was actually believing something that was written on Orangebloods. That's on you, dummy

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Not sure, not a subscriber. I think it was passed on here from some other secondhand source, in true Surly fashion.

Yeah I never saw actually quotes from OBs or TFB on it, but if they were talking about Shepherd, he could commit this weekend, or he could commit pretty much any month between now and December. No need to stab your $9.95 voodoo dolls for every day that comes and goes without him committing. 

8 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Exact OB quote from Ketchum

I'll fully admit that this is a tease, but the staff heard some recruiting buzz today that will make you guys happy. Don't be completely shocked if you see one of these [BC shush tweet] in the near future and it involves someone other than Marques Caldwell.

Jabba took time away from his pop culture social justice blog to drop an insubstantial recruiting note?

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

TFB OP: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/06/open-post-weekend-june-29th-july-1st/

Stripling cancelling his aggy commitment video - maybe his brother is getting it through his thick skull that aggy is full?

As for a timeline for his announcement, we would not be at all surprised to see him make a commitment prior to his senior season and possibly even earlier. – (Charlie

Wouldn't he need a time machine for that?

Exact OB quote from Ketchum
I'll fully admit that this is a tease, but the staff heard some recruiting buzz today that will make you guys happy. Don't be completely shocked if you see one of these [bC shush tweet] in the near future and it involves someone other than Marques Caldwell. Now bring me Solo and the Wookiee.

Fixed to include the entire quote.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Not that I am complaining, but why would Adimora move up his commitment? Strateg-ery by Herman to maintain momentum during the dead period?

I think even last month there was some talk that Adimora would move up his announcement date from August. CTJ mentioned that Adimora might pop around the same time as Jake Smith.

Adimora either has a relative or old coach at Boise State, can't remember which. I'm guessing he decided to give Harsin a legitimate chance to wow him before finalizing his decision.

There's also the outside possibility that that we could get our own little string of commits in a short period of time - Adimora, Caldwell, Shepherd - that could counter whatever perceived momentum A&M is trying to create this following week (as @Longhornfrenzy suggested).

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

So Fat Ketch might be... right?

No.  Fat Ketch read the same reports we read from the guy in Clear Lake and pulled a $9.95er putting a vague, could be anyone type of post together.  Now if someone does actually commit, he can say - see I told you so.  

EJ after dark: Texas closing in on a commitment?

— Four-star Mayfair (Calif.) defensive back Chris Adimora has moved up his commitment timeline and will now be announcing his decision on Sunday at 4 p.m. central time. Adimora took an official visit to Boise State earlier this month, and the Broncos remain the biggest threat to Texas at this time due to connections to the program. However, we still feel very good about where Texas stands and believe the Longhorns hold the edge going into the weekend. I’m sticking with my Texas prediction. Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar has done a terrific job in this recruitment, and the Longhorns blew him away on his unofficial visit in April. 

— It has now been a few days since Alvin cornerback Marques Caldwell backed out of his verbal commitment to Oregon. So where do things stand? Well, Caldwell said he wants to take his time, but I feel like a decision could come sooner rather than later. We still have reason to believe Texas is the heavy frontrunner here and would be surprised if he doesn’t end up in Austin. Caldwell grew up a Texas fan and loved his recent visit.

—There has been a lot of chatter on Twitter about four-star offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd. Could a decision come at The Opening? Look guys, I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens, but I’m not expecting it. I’ve maintained that while Shepherd wants to make his official visits, he is growing tired of the process and a decision could come at any time. We still feel like the Longhorns have a nice edge over Texas A&M at this time.

— Five-star 2020 Mater Dei (Calif.) quarterback Bryce Young is releasing his top schools this weekend. I wouldn’t be surprised if Texas makes the cut. However, I feel like schools like Oklahoma, Washington and USC are in a better position heading into his August decision.

E.J. Holland: Breaking down Texas-Texas A&M recruiting battles

Texas and Texas A&M may not play on the field anymore, but the two teams are still big rivals on the recruiting trail. The two programs have already had their fair share of battles this cycle and should have at least a few more before it comes to an end. Horns247's EJ Holland was live in College Station on Friday at the State 7v7 tournament and talked about key targets considering both schools. Here are some bullet points from the video, which you can watch below.

-- Where things stand with four-star wide receiver Dylan Wright

-- Which team holds the edge for elite offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd

-- The latest on four-star inside linebacker David Gbenda

-- Can Texas flip four-star defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal?

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Which position should UT be concerned about?

With the summer dead period here, which position group(s) do you think Tom Herman and company have the most work to do on for the 2019 class? -- Hookem777

EJ: I think you can go with running back or defensive line, but I’m actually going to go with wide receiver. The Longhorns have a pair of slot receivers committed in Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington, but they are still looking for playmakers on the outside. Obviously, Dylan Wright is a huge priority, but he’s not deciding until January. Elijah Higgins also remains a wanted man, but Texas still has work to do. You also have guys like Bru McCoy and Makiya Tongue, but they might end up on defense when it’s all said and done. Then you have recent offers Jaylen Ellis, Peyton Powell and Langston Anderson. I’m not sure Texas has decided which one it wants to push for yet. I think outside wide receiver recruiting is a very interesting storyline with the dead period underway.

Mike: I'd say wide receiver as well, but since EJ mentioned it, I'll go into details on running back. It seems as if Texas has all of their eggs in the Noah Cain basket, and they are certainly in a good spot for him. That said, as I reported in The Stampede, the field is really broadening for him. As he eyes more schools, there's more of a chance for someone to take hold of his recruitment. If Texas were to miss, they would need to switch quickly to some reserve options. Deondrick Glass might be the guy in that situation, or perhaps a player like Newton's Darwin Barlow. I think the staff will take their time over the dead period to evaluate some backup options and develop a plan. 

Looks like Texas is in really good shape with 5-6 DBs in 2019. Is there enough space to take all six? -- DubaiBob

EJ: I think 4-5 is more realistic. An ideal class would be Kenyatta Watson II and Marques Caldwell at corner, Chris Adimora and Lewis Cine at safety and Jalen Catalon at safety/nickel. I think Texas is in the pole position with Adimora and Catalon and is in a very good position to flip Caldwell from Oregon. I think Cine is the least likely of the five to land at Texas, but the Longhorns are surging with him. It looks like Noa Pola-Gates will end up at Alabama, and I’m not sure Texas is pushing for Jeffery Carter, who I still think lands at A&M.

Mike: I think it's 4-5 as well. An ideal and realistic class would be Adimora, Cine, Catalon, Watson and Caldwell. If they feel they can land a guy like Noa Pola-Gates, or somehow flip Derek Stingley, I think they would obviously make room. Safety is the interesting position to watch for me. The coaches obviously loaded up in the last cycle, and they are preparing to make a run at some big name safeties in 2020 as well.

Looks like Texas needs to start evaluating some other offensive linemen, either OOS or in state, and make some offers. The clock is ticking! Do these offers start going out after the dead period ends? We need to have five offensive linemen in this class and every year if possible. -- orangebass53

EJ: I just don’t think the Texas staff sees eye to eye with you lol. It’s likely that Texas only takes three offensive linemen with four being the maximum number at this time. Tyler Johnson is already in, and the Longhorns are in a great position with Javonne Shepherd. They would be the two takes at tackle. Texas would also like to add an interior lineman and with Branson Bragg off the board, Chris Akporoghene has become an important target. I don’t expect Texas to offer many other offensive linemen after the dead period aside from maybe a couple of interior guys.

Mike: I think the key is to see if they can find a true center prospect. Losing Bragg was a big blow, because high end centers don't come along all that often. It's not unrealistic to think they go to the JUCO ranks once again during the fall to try to supplement that talent.

Which current Texas target would be the best recruiting tool if they committed? -- SJULB22

EJ: Texas has a lot of quiet guys in this class. I think they really need a vocal leader, but there aren't many options, so I’m going to go with Noah Cain. He’s not a super loud guy but he commands respect both in-state and across the country. He has the personality to be a great recruiter for the Longhorns and be the face of this class. 

Mike: Cain is certainly respected, but he's also a quiet guy and he's not making a decision until December. Dylan Wright would be a good call, but he's also planning to make a late decision. I'm going to say Javonne Shepherd is the guy. He's well-liked in the Houston area, and would be a big head-to-head win on the recruiting trail.

Have we lost Taurean Carter to TCU? And if so, who's the target to replace him?

EJ: No. I’m not sure where you got that from, but Texas is still a frontrunner in his recruitment. Mike has a better relationship with Carter, so I’ll let him expand. But he had a great visit to Texas this month and won’t be making a decision until October.

Mike: Not at all. If Texas pushes for him, I think they can land him. TCU does have a lot of appeal for Tarrant County kids who want to play big-time football and stay close to home, but Carter was blown away at the Texas Heat Wave. If you factor in where they stand with Jalen Catalon, I think they'd be the favorites by a slight margin.

At the end of the day do you think David Neil gets an offer? Would hate to see the son of a Longhorn legend have to go elsewhere. -- jtchorn

EJ: I don’t think so. Defensive line is a need for Texas moving forward, and the Longhorns really want to close with some of their top targets. With that said, I do think you could see a similar situation to Luke Brockermeyer last cycle.

Mike: I don't think so either. It would be a good story, but I think they have too many other guys on the board they are chasing.