Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

- Probably won't get Cain with LSU ratcheting up the pressure after losing John Emery. More likely is Glass or the kid from Amarillo.

We should be rooting for Georgia to find another RB as well. Some sites/posters are sleeping on them in this recruitment 

I'd split the odds three ways right now between Texas, LSU, and Georgia, with a little left over for the field

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

in 2 cycles we've landed 6 WR signees/recruits. All blue-chips. 

Not directed at you, and I get that some national writers and sites have been calling all 4*s blue chips, but that doesn't seem exclusive to me. To me, blue chip implies 5*, or at worst top 100

• Like 1

Someone help me with the 10 toes down thing they have started using. 

My old man walked in on me once with a girl when I was skipping. I told him we weren’t doing anything and his response was “ten toes up and ten toes down if that ain’t fuckin I’ll kiss your ass”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Not directed at you, and I get that some national writers and sites have been calling all 4*s blue chips, but that doesn't seem exclusive to me. To me, blue chip implies 5*, or at worst top 100

https://www.sbnation.com/a/cfb-preview-2017/blue-chip-ratio

This blue chip ratio formula (which includes 4 and 5 stars) has been accurate every year at predicting the national champion. 

Only the top 100 recruits is a really selective group. It's too exclusive. 

Top 300 out of a billion potential recruits sounds about right to me when referring to blue chips. 

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

https://www.sbnation.com/a/cfb-preview-2017/blue-chip-ratio

This blue chip ratio formula (which includes 4 and 5 stars) has been accurate every year at predicting the national champion. 

Only the top 100 recruits is a really selective group. It's too exclusive. 

Top 300 out of a billion potential recruits sounds about right to me when referring to blue chips. 

Yeah I'm aware of the article, I just disagree with calling a run of the mill 4* a "blue chip"

Anyway, carry on 

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

Yeah I'm aware of the article, I just disagree with calling a run of the mill 4* a "blue chip"

Anyway, carry on 

meh. I view the term "blue chip" as a way of distinguishing between 4/5 star prospects and lower ranked recruits. I think that's how most of the recruiting industry views it. 

Limiting the term to just 5 stars/top 100 probably isn't a very accurate way to determine who is dominating the recruiting landscape because it's such a selective group.

Those "run of the mill" 4 stars are probably what's separating a lot of the top tier recruiting classes from the bunch. Stanford and Clemson come to mind. They've been living off the composite top 100-350 types for years. They've certainly landed "blue chips" by your interpretation but it's just a little too limiting for my taste. I get where you are coming from though. 

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Correct calls on 4* is where championships are won and lost. The 4* that bust out are the killers.

yeah, I have no evidence at all to back this up but I bet it's true. 

While landing 5 star types is obviously important it's such a limited group even for schools like Alabama and Ohio State. That's why I'm a fan of the "blue chip ratio" above. Regardless of your interpretation of "blue chip", if you land more 4 and 5 stars than other teams you're more likely to win a national championship. To me that inclusive interpretation of "blue chip" is a more accurate predictor of who has the best recruiting classes so that's why I prefer it. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Cross-posting the TFB writeup on Demariyon Houston as they talk a little about where they think WR recruiting is headed: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/breaking-oklahoma-wr-demariyon-houston-committed-texas/

As we’ve reported before, Texas has been in the driver’s seat in the recruitment of Millwood (OK) WR Demariyon Houston for a while, but now it’s official.

When we asked Houston why he decided on Texas, he told us, “They’re all about family and what they can offer a player after football.” This was big to Houston who is as good in the classroom as he is on the field. Texas was able to sell him on staying close to home with the great life after football that Notre Dame was selling him without the cold and distance.

He also said he’s excited to play in the Red River Shootout saying, “it’ll be great to show my state what I can do on that stage.”

After this season, Texas could very well lose four top wide receivers. One major task for the staff this cycle was too sure up the wide receiver room in both slot and outside. With the commitment of Demariyon Houston, the staff has taken a good step towards both due to Houston’s versatility. Houston has played as both an inside slot wide receiver and an outside deep threat at Z. Our sources inside the department haven’t indicated that they are 100% sure whether he will stick as a Z or be moved to X, however, it looks like the Z wide receiver will be where he will start when he arrives in Austin.

Houston has some nasty straight-line speed. The track-star officially ran a 10.71 100M dash his sophomore season, and he has reported broken that this past year with a 10.64 100M dash and a sub-4.4 40-yard dash (although I can’t get an official number there). On top of the speed, Houston has shown he has a bit of wiggle to him, showing the ability to stop, change directions, and accelerate or just find some way through a hole.

While Houston does have some killer speed, that isn’t all it takes to get separation. At the next level, he will find people that will match his speed. The use of your hands, understanding where the coverage is weak, and/or where to position yourself are three key features to getting separation. All three I’ve seen him display in his play. The body positioning is especially evident in his ability to win the 50/50 tossup. Furthermore, getting some muscle on him in college will be able to help give him the strength to be better at fighting off hand-play in college. Which leads me to my next part…

Houston may need to improve his strength and size. Right now, he’s sitting at 6’0” 165lbs. However, for any program worth its weight (pun intended) it should be able to put good weight on their players easily through fitness and nutrition.

So where does this leave Texas with WR recruiting? Well, now they have Jordan Whittington slotted to play slot or X, Jake Smith for the slot, and Demariyon Houston for Z. So there is a guy for each position. Now they will focus on targets like Bru McCoy, Dylan Wright, Elijah Higgins, Makiya Tongue, Jaylen Ellis, Langston Anderson, and Peyton Powell. We feel they will slow play the later three, Bru McCoy will always have a spot, Dylan Wright is a priority, and we will all figure out what is going on with Tongue and Higgins in August.

Texas has beaten out Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, Alabama, and Auburn for a great talent who has room to grow in a position group that needs bodies.

I would be happy with either Ellis or Higgins as a fourth WR take (assuming Wright is the 5th), ignoring guys like Tongue and Bru in this discussion. Ellis seems like his recruitment would be more straightforward than Higgins', but given that we just took Houston I could see us preferring Higgins  because his skill set is different compared to what we have committed so far.

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I would be happy with either Ellis or Higgins as a fourth WR take (assuming Wright is the 5th), ignoring guys like Tongue and Bru in this discussion. Ellis seems like his recruitment would be more straightforward than Higgins', but given that we just took Houston I could see us preferring Higgins  because his skill set is different compared to what we have committed so far.

We aren't getting Ellis and Higgins. Tongue has Higgins' spot and Wright and McCoy have Ellis'. Aside from that bit of bad news, we are all getting laid.

E.J. Holland: Texas surges into Top 10 in team recruiting rankings

Texas is moving on up the 247Sports national team recruiting rankings. The Longhorns had a big weekend as they scored commitments from four-star Oklahoma wide receiver Demariyon Houston and former Oregon cornerback pledge Marques Caldwell. So where does Texas sit now? The Longhorns moved up from No. 16 to No. 10 with a score of 228.29, speeding past Miami, Ole Miss, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida State and Mississippi State.

The Longhorns currently have 13 commits this cycle — five-star Conroe Oak Ridge offensive lineman Tyler Johnson, four-star Cuero athlete Jordan Whittington, four-star Millwood (Okla.) wide receiver Demariyon Houston, four-star Westlake (Calif.) outside linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd, four-star Grayson (GA) defensive back Kenyatta Watson II, four-star Port Neches-Groves quarterback Roschon Johnson, four-star Notre Dame Prep (AZ) wide receiver Jake Smith, four-star Mayfair (Calif.) defensive back Chris Adimora, four-star Chandler (AZ) tight end Brayden Liebrock, three-star Temple tight end Jared Wiley, three-star Huntsville defensive end T’Vondre Sweat, three-star Alvin cornerback Marques Caldwell and three-star George Ranch defensive end Peter Mpagi.

Texas is ranked No. 2 in the Big 12 Conference behind Oklahoma, which holds two more commits at this time. Here are the full Big 12 rankings:

1. Oklahoma

2. Texas

3. TCU

4. Iowa State

5. Oklahoma State

6. Baylor

7. Texas Tech

8. West Virginia

9. Kansas State

10. Kansas

Oklahoma has a total score of 245,99, which means the Longhorns need to keep luring top talent in order to pass up the rival Sooners. Texas is ahead of TCU by roughly 50 points with two fewer commits, so UT is safely in the No. 2 spot at this time. Texas has an average rating per recruit of 92.34 with one five-star prospect, eight four-star prospects and four three-star prospects. Texas ranks first in the Big 12 in terms of average rating per recruit.

Texas and Oklahoma are the only two schools in the Big 12 with five-star recruits committed. Texas is also one of eight teams in the Big 12 with at least one four-star recruit committed. Every school in the Big 12 has at least two commits.

Texas finished with the No. 3 recruiting class last cycle, highlighted by a historic defensive back haul that featured big name recruits like Caden Sterns, BJ Foster, Anthony Cook, Jalen Green, DeMarvion Overshown and D’shawn Jamison. UT’s recruiting success came in its first year under Tom Herman, who coached the Longhorns to a 7-6 season and win over Missouri in the Texas Bowl. Herman is under a five-year contract with a base salary of $5 million per year.

The 2017 season marked the program's first winning season since 2013 and first bowl win since 2012 under then-head coach Mack Brown. Prior to arriving at Texas, Herman led Houston to its first American Athletic Conference title in his first year at the helm. The year after, Herman guided Houston to a win over Florida State in the Peach Bowl.

Mike Roach: Evaluating Texas' newest commits Caldwell and Houston

CB Marques Caldwell, Alvin

Recruitment: Though Caldwell saw attention early in his recruitment, he decided to shut things down and committed to Oregon last fall. A three-star prospect, Caldwell, however, backed out of his verbal pledge to the Ducks and committed to Texas shortly after. He also held offers from Missouri, Colorado, Ole Miss, TCU, Texas Tech, SMU, Indiana and Iowa State. At 6-foot-1, 171 pounds, Caldwell is ranked as the No. 56 cornerback in the country and No. 78 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

Strengths: Caldwell has a tremendous frame with great length and room to add weight. He plays a physical press-coverage style and is able to disrupt opposing receivers at the line and re-route them. Caldwell shows quick feet at the line of scrimmage, and he also displays the fluid hips needed to play cornerback at a high level. He plays with an aggressive mentality which allows him to jump short passes and stop screen plays in their tracks. Caldwell shows strong read ability and instincts. Caldwell is sticky in coverage, and he shows good ball skills when playing the pass in the air. He’s a big hitter who loves to come up in run support, and he shows great closing speed once he zeroes in on a target. Caldwell’s game is suited for the boundary corner where he can be more of a factor near the line of scrimmage.

Areas for improvement: Caldwell is very physical, but he needs to put in a lot of work on his fundamental tackling ability. He typically tackles with his head down and does not wrap up. Caldwell could also stand to tweak some minor technical issues to allow him more fluidity in coverage.

Fit for Texas: Caldwell is a great compliment to Kenyatta Watson II. While Watson has the skills to play the field corner, Caldwell’s aggressive style plays well at the boundary. Caldwell should be able to contribute on special teams immediately before fighting for playing time after adding some weight.

WR Demariyon Houston, Millwood (Okla.) 

Recruitment: Houston is one of the top players in the region. A four-star prospect, Houston chose Texas over offers from Alabama, Auburn, Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, Baylor, Oregon, Florida and Ole Miss. At 6-foot, 165 pounds, Houston is ranked as the No. 29 wide receiver in the country and No. 2 overall prospect in Oklahoma, according to 247Sports Composite.

Strengths: Houston has a good build with nice length and room to add weight. He’s an explosive receiver prospect who takes off like a rocket from the line. Houston shows quick feet at the line of scrimmage which allows him to chew up space and avoid any press contact. Houston has the deep ability to push defenses vertically. He tracks the ball well over his shoulder and shows the ability to adjust to balls in-flight. Houston is a strong kick returner with the ability to score each time he touches the ball. Houston is incredibly efficient in his movement, and he shows lightning quickness in small areas. He’s a very good athlete with strong leaping ability and good body control.

Areas for improvement: Houston is a bit thin in the frame and will need to add weight in order to hold up at the next level. Houston should work to catch the ball away from his body more consistently and sharpen his route running in order to gain more separation.

Fit for Texas: Houston has the versatility to play both inside and outside at the next level. The Longhorns already have two slots committed in Jordan Whittington and Jake Smith, and Houston’s skillset fits more as an outside deep threat in the Texas offense. After adding some weight, he should be able to give the offense a shot in the arm as a deep threat, and he might see the field earlier as a kick returner.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Wease is a complete tool, and Bridges and Henderson are supposed to be have "maturity issues" as well. Classic Sooner class.

Whatever makes you feel better bruh. They keep winning the conference, heisman and the nfl race. Plus we just lost our best receiver to maturity issues....smh.

Edited by Bruh Man
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, utexas8 said:

I know it’s early but just curious what people’s thoughts were... will Texas pass OU in the recruiting rankings?

I was just thinking about it. I don't know enough about their recruiting to predict long term, but if you add Javonne and Catalon (the only two guys I consider calculator status off the top of my head), we end up .1 behind them with an equal number of commits. 

I think if we want to finish ahead of them on signing day we'll need to land a couple of McCoy, Davis, Cain, Sanders, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I was just thinking about it. I don't know enough about their recruiting to predict long term, but if you add Javonne and Catalon (the only two guys I consider calculator status off the top of my head), we end up .1 behind them with an equal number of commits. 

I think if we want to finish ahead of them on signing day we'll need to land a couple of McCoy, Davis, Cain, Sanders, etc. 

I haven't really kept up to see who else they may end up landing in this class.  Looks like as of now they'll get Wilkins though.