Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

The reality is that aspiring pro athletes don't get to pick their "references." Teams are going to seek valid background info wherever they can find it. That's because in their world, the pool of prospects is a glorified meat market. If you're the raw ingredient, you're going to get poked and sniffed and eventually thrown into a pan. It's the business you're choosing to be in.   

E.J. Holland: Texas making big impression on JUCO DL Jacoby Jones

Jacoby Jones has become a hot commodity on the recruiting trail as teams are looking for immediate help in the trenches. The JUCO defensive end out of Butler C.C. holds double digit offers and is gearing up to make his official visits in the fall. “Recruiting has been awesome,” Jones said. “I’ve been blowing up lately and keeping contact with a lot of coaches. I think they know I’m that guy at the JUCO level. NC State and Texas have really been recruiting me hard, and Oregon is talking to me a lot now. I want to make an OV to Missouri, too”

Jones holds offers from Colorado, Illinois, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Washington State and others. He used his first official visit on North Carolina State last month and is mapping out his remaining four. Texas is a school that will for sure receive one of those trips. Jones made an unofficial visit in the spring and has been keeping in constant contact with UT defensive line coach Oscar Giles. “I talk a lot with Coach Giles,” Jones said. “We have been building a really good relationship. I feel like we have been growing closer. He’s a really cool dude. I talk to Coach (Tom) Herman, too. He said he can come in and play right away for them.”

UT’s pitch has been making a big impact on Jones’ recruitment. And the Longhorns are very high on his mind. “I enjoyed my stay there when I visited in the spring,” Jones said. “It was a great visit. Texas is a big program, and they have some big things in store with the new staff. I’m a very versatile player coming off the edge. I think I can play in the same type of role as Malcolm Roach.” Jones, who is originally from Saint Louis, will graduate in December and have three years to play two. At 6-foot-4, 250 pounds, Jones is ranked as the No. 1 strong-side junior college defensive end in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

E.J. Holland: Four-star Louisiana ATH Makiya Tongue remains high on UT

Makiya Tongue is getting ready to make a decision. The four-star athlete out of University Lab (La.) recently named a Top 3 of Arizona State, Georgia and Texas and plans to commit to one of those schools before the start of the season. So where does Texas stand in crunch time? “I like Texas a lot, man,” Tongue said. “They see me as a receiver. I like that it’s in the Big 12 and how balanced the offense is. They don’t throw the ball too much and they don’t run the ball too much. I really like the offense.”

Tongue added that he has a strong bond with the Texas coaching staff, specifically wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer and cornerbacks coach Jason Washington. “I talk to Coach Drew a lot,” Tongue said. “I talk to Coach Washington, too. They’ve been on me for a while through this process. I have a really good relationship with both of them.” UT’s biggest competition in this recruitment is Georgia. The Bulldogs hold the majority of Crystal Ball predictions and made a big impression on him during his official visit last month.

“It’s a great school,” Tongue said. “They are in the SEC. They were in the national championship last year, and that helps a lot. You know they are a winning program, and they are only going to get better.” Tongue made an official visit to Texas in the spring and is looking to get back to Austin for an unofficial visit after the dead period. At 6-foot-2, 210 pounds, Tongue is ranked as the No. 15 athlete and No. 222 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

Billy Embody contributed to this report

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

“They see me as a receiver. I like that it’s in the Big 12 and how balanced the offense is. They don’t throw the ball too much and they don’t run the ball too much. I really like the offense.”

If he is looking fr 3 and outs, LSU should be a top contender for his services.

12 minutes ago, DeAngelloBeige said:

Sounds like the staff was badmouthing the juniors that left early to players still on the team, and those players told DeShon. Even Connor Williams chimed in on one of the tweets. Smh no bueno

Apparently the staff 

a) used those guys ditching the bowl as motivation during the bowl (oh hey it worked)

and b) told the current players not to go to Elliott's 4th of July party

Maybe there was more, but no excuse for all the public asshattery.

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Apparently the staff 

a) used those guys ditching the bowl as motivation during the bowl (oh hey it worked)

and b) told the current players not to go to Elliott's 4th of July party

Maybe there was more, but no excuse for all the public asshattery.

Are you saying Herman doesnt think his players should be hanging out at "whitehouse-esque" pool parties?

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

For anyone who hasn't ventured onto the football board lately, Grandy is medically retiring.

Damn. I wish the kid good health and nothing but the best in  future endeavors (get your degree son!). Sorry that it ended that way.

I guess the silver lining is that another scholarship opened up.

We only have 13 commits, so space for at least 12 more for sure and maybe up to 15 more guys in the class

As of now, I’m only seeing maybe 6-7 realistic (at least 50/50), quality (top 300 players) uncommited targets out there.  We already have a couple “projects” committed, so don’t see us taking 5 more of those types, so are we counting on flips and Jucos to fill out the class? Maybe go after new targets that we impress on the field, but then only have 2-3 months to recruit hard??  Is the staff more confident in the 5-Star out-of-state guys they are after than the $9.95’ers?

I just don’t see Herman filling out the class with bread, so wonder where these championship-type recruits will come from?

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

We only have 13 commits, so space for at least 12 more for sure and maybe up to 15 more guys in the class

As of now, I’m only seeing maybe 6-7 realistic (at least 50/50), quality (top 300 players) uncommited targets out there.  We already have a couple “projects” committed, so don’t see us taking 5 more of those types, so are we counting on flips and Jucos to fill out the class? Maybe go after new targets that we impress on the field, but then only have 2-3 months to recruit hard??  Is the staff more confident in the 5-Star out-of-state guys they are after than the $9.95’ers?

I just don’t see Herman filling out the class with bread, so wonder where these championship-type recruits will come from?

You seem frightened. Sarva should have some cream for that.

In all honesty, if it follows last year's patterns we'll do better in Missouri/other OOS than we think, and guys like Mike Williams and CJones and Ojomo will pop up late.

33 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

We have (and will) take three-stars just like any other class if that's what it comes to. Not every three-star kid is "bread", and not every recruit will be 'championship-type'.

Look at Mack's 2002 #1 class that laid the foundation for our national title. Plenty of washouts in even that class.

Edited by satyanash

EJ after dark: New Crystal Ball pick in for out-of-state target

— I switched my Crystal Ball from foggy back to Texas for four-star University Lab (La.) athlete Makiya Tongue. He is slated to visit Georgia next weekend but will likely see Texas a few days after that — July 30 is the target date. Texas cornerbacks coach and area recruiter Jason Washington had a good talk with his father a couple of days ago, and I’ve been told that the Longhorns are making the stronger push. If they do get him on campus later this month, I expect them to close ahead of his August decision timeline.

— The aforementioned Washington has been busy on the phone lines this week as he also spoke to four-star 2020 Lancaster cornerback Lorando Johnson. While he doesn’t hold an offer yet, Johnson is firmly on UT’s radar and is scheduled to make an unofficial visit on July 27 along with his father. Johnson camped with Texas last summer and is very high on the Longhorns. An offer from UT would change his recruitment.

— Texas put an offer on the table today for four-star Menlo-Atherton (Calif.) inside linebacker Daniel Heimuli. So do the Longhorns have a chance? Well, Heimuli already released his Top 8, but we have reason to believe the Longhorns can work their way into his top group and get him on campus for an official visit in the fall/winter. Texas has had plenty of success out West this cycle and staffer Jake Langi, who has strong Polynesian ties, will be an X-factor.

— We haven’t talked much about St. John Bosco (Calif.) outside linebacker Spencer Lytle since he visited Texas in the spring. There never appeared to be much movement on either side after the trip, and Lytle informed me that he is down to Clemson and Wisconsin.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

He's referring to Garrett Wilson. Zach Smith. tOSU's WR coach, was recently arrested for criminal trespassing. 

Let Wilson go though, we'll be alright. 

For sure. I'm far more concerned with recruiting in the trenches. Wilson just rubbed me the wrong way... 

13 hours ago, DeAngelloBeige said:

Sounds like the staff was badmouthing the juniors that left early to players still on the team, and those players told DeShon. Even Connor Williams chimed in on one of the tweets. Smh no bueno

Maybe some of them shouldn’t have made dumb decisions to leave early, bailing on their teammates. Smh estupido y no bueno