Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This Polynesian connection is kind of flying under the radar. A lot of really good Polynesian players on the west coast. If we can get a couple Polynesian players every cylce it would be significant. 

And also keep adding a couple of Louisiana guys each year like Roach, Wilbon, and Mike Williams.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This Polynesian connection is kind of flying under the radar. A lot of really good Polynesian players on the west coast. If we can get a couple Polynesian players every cylce it would be significant. 

Not sure "connection" is the right word for it

45 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Are we trying to navigate a boat across 3000 miles of ocean using floating twigs or are we trying to win some football games?

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So we're getting Tufono. That puts the class at 16 commitments and an astonishing 50/50 split of recruits from Texas vs OOS. Mack Brown is going to have to bite his tongue and hold back tears over the level of OOS recruiting prowess being exhibited. 

Those tears from Mack are of sweat from killing himself in Florida.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

So uplifting to see families that are able to escape the wonderful climate and beautiful beaches of Hawaii for Alabama. Makes you realize you shouldn't ever give up hope.

Edited by Ricky Butler
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

So we're getting Tufono. That puts the class at 16 commitments and an astonishing 50/50 split of recruits from Texas vs OOS. Mack Brown is going to have to bite his tongue and hold back tears over the level of OOS recruiting prowess being exhibited. 

The ratio is astonishing, and could be a major ingredient towards getting this program back to the top. We should all be really fired up about this trend. Just hope the “stay close to home” pitch doesn’t cause any of the OOS commits to reconsider before signing day.

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Anything happening with Taurean Carter then? Notice he's absent from your rundown

I know what you know - seems they're going to watch him this season and as of right now, he looks like a JAG. How's he going to grow into a prospect that anyone is excited about? His frame is kind of set. You don't win national titles with DLs loaded with Taurean Carter types. I think they would have him committed already if they were really pushing him. He could be one of the numbers I had at DT or DE. Meh.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Let's think about where the class could wind up. First number is what we have, and second number is what I think the final count will be at that position.

QB 1 - perfect unless you're secretly a shill for Grant Tisdale

TE 2 - 1 standout and a project with a great frame, awesome

WR 3 (5) - I love the 3 commitments at this spot. I think they're going to wind up taking 5, if they can get the ones they want. In looking at the depth chart, either one of CJ or LJH going pro, or both, or Duvernay deciding to transfer, and the roster is suddenly extremely thin. Davion Curtis and Jordan Pouncey better be ballers. Brennan Eagles needs to figure out how to separate. All doable, but at some point if you lose 2 of the 3 Jrs, you begin relying on the premise that you're going to hit with a higher batting average than is plausible with the limited players on campus. Give me an oversigning here because math. In my heart, this is Higgins and Wright. In my head, I think there's an excellent shot it's someone like the dude from Round Rock and an emerging recruit from nowhere. 

OT 2 - If a senior emerges that looks like a take as a project, fine by me. Otherwise, I like where we're at here.

OG (1) - After Rodas Johnson, I am not really sure what in the fuck we're doing here. It's bizarre. I choose to believe there's shit we're not seeing, which is likely with this staff, and we'll see some strong candidates emerge in the fall. There's non-senior depth on the roster, but that depth has question marks in varying forms, whether injury, want-to, or capability. I don't know, maybe you hope that the esteemed Lord Edgart Bonhomme Orgeron will burn Baton Rouge to the ground and the monster that ate Kardell Thomas looks around. 

OC (1) - Yeah, we need a fucking center in this class. I assume they find one.

TB (1) - They need a back that could carry the load, and I will continue to believe it's Cain. I don't want to piss in anyone's Post Toasties, and this is for another day/thread, but Evans recruitment is going to be extremely complicated and I'd put us at very low odds, so getting Cain is a big deal.

DT 1 (2) - Sweat is a DT at Texas. They've actually got a lot of youth on the roster here, so I'm not sweating, if you will, adding another guy, but I assume they will. They're still in it for some ballers at this spot, and Texas also produces emerging talent on the DL as seniors, it seems. 

DE 1 (2) - I don't know, man, I don't know if I like where things sit here. I have a hard time giving Giles the benefit of the doubt that this is going to be just great, too. 

LB 3 (4) - Some of you guys get twisted on the naming conventions and whether some LBs are actually DEs in Orlando's defense. Whatever. Add up the DE and LB takes then. I think Texas is about to have 3 commits at LB, and I think they get Owens who winds up being a LB but I list below as an ATH, and I think they ultimately get Gbenda and if not him, Cooper or a new sparkly senior riser. 

CB 2 - I like what they have, even if Watson becomes a safety. It's hard for me to believe they're in need of a 3rd guy here for this class.

NB (1) - They need to land Catalon.

S 1 (2) - I don't count Owens in this. I think they'll take one more and I don't think Cine is the one. Maybe it's a riser or Pola-Gates surprises us.

ATH (1) - I can't really buy into capturing McCoy unless Helton totally implodes. I think they get Owens if they push for him.

So that's 27 guys. I could see getting to 28 if they score a JUCO that they really like, or if they find a gem that they can't pass up, or LSU is lit afire. I could see them sitting at 25 because they don't think takes 26-28 could improve the roster. If that's the case, I'd guess we see 4 WRs and Owens is the other safety add and then Giles just whiffs somewhere.

If the staff lands Tufono, I think they may push a little harder for the G/C from Hawaii (Vinakki I think). Another guy from the Island headed this way plus the fact that his aunt went to Texas can't hurt 

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yeah, gonna need you to shed some more light about the Evans situation haha.  I'm assuming you consider the odds low due to the likes of Bama/UGA bidding on him?  

He's the best back to come out of Texas since Adrian Peterson. He has trouble finding a car when he has to get somewhere farther from home than a mile. He'll basically be the top prospect in the country and if he stays healthy, he will be projectable as a high NFL draft pick before he signs his LOI. This is going to be Marcus Dupree level shit.

2 hours ago, Sejjr said:
2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

And also keep adding a couple of Louisiana guys each year like Roach, Wilbon, and Mike Williams.

As well as cherry picking some Cali and Florida kids. Yes, that seems like a solid strategy. 

And adding the top 10-15 players in the state. I think we are on to something here guys. 

15 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

If the staff lands Tufono, I think they may push a little harder for the G/C from Hawaii (Vinakki I think). Another guy from the Island headed this way plus the fact that his aunt went to Texas can't hurt 

If you're going to kill yourself recruiting, Hawaii isn't a bad spot.

Didn’t they take a long time last year to find OG/C candidates, relying on senior film? Maybe they are doing that again.

In general, we aren’t building from the inside-out quite good enough at DL or OL, although the tackle takes are incredible so we have that going for us.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Honest question, do you think that if Orlando has another hot season and gets plucked that the higher OOS ratio could come back to bite us should we have coaching departures?

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He's the best back to come out of Texas since Adrian Peterson. He has trouble finding a car when he has to get somewhere farther from home than a mile. He'll basically be the top prospect in the country and if he stays healthy, he will be projectable as a high NFL draft pick before he signs his LOI. This is going to be Marcus Dupree level shit.

In that case, we need to deliver an F-250 to him asap loaded with cash.  I don't care who else we get next cycle as long as we land Evans and Demas. 

9 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Honest question, do you think that if Orlando has another hot season and gets plucked that the higher OOS ratio could come back to bite us should we have coaching departures?

I think he keeps cashing in big checks here while waiting for a big time program to open up.  With what we are willing to pay him, I don't see him leaving for the likes of UH or SMU.  It's going to take more than 1-2 good years on defense to land a big time gig.  Both Muschamp and Smart had 4+ years of elite level defenses before landing at UF/UGA.

Edited by victory88
  • Like 1