Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

For the first time this cycle, I’ve heard that the McCoy situation could legitimately settle in our favor. As previously discussed in this thread during the summer, there’s not a ton of enthusiasm around Helton and consequently, the USC program. Our best outcome is a 7-6, 8-5 finish for USC in which there’s no program momentum but no justifiable reason to fire Helton yet either. 

• Like 9

And this is exactly why we need to have a presence in SoCal.  Because you never fucking know.  Who knows if Bru chooses us but at least we are in the fight.

We should have a presence in California, Arizona, Louisiana, and Missouri.  That ground is ripe for the picking every year.

Good for Herman realizing that.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Source said that the win had an impact on Trey Sanders and Marcus Washington, in particular. Washington is a guy we’ve already said we feel good about. 

But what about Trey Sanders?

After speaking to Sanders after the game, source said…

“We’re going to get him”.

giphy.gif

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/10/open-post-monday-october-8th/

Reveal hidden contents

Caleb Johnson Visiting Texas
– Super K

I just got off the phone with JUCO LB and Texas offer, Caleb Johnson (Fullerton College). Johnson tells me that he plans on taking his official visit to Texas this upcoming weekend.

Johnson is currently committed to Iowa State and says he has so far taken official visits to Iowa State and Colorado. He says this Texas official visit may end up being his last before he makes his final decision.

I asked him about the Colorado visit and he said, “I actually really liked it out there but I’m expecting this Texas visit to be nice”.

I’ll be in California later this week and among other players, I plan on seeing Johnson in-person.

5-Star | Trey Sanders | Quick-Hitter
– Super K

Not surprisingly, yesterday’s game had a huge recruiting impact. Texas was already looking good for Trey Sanders but I spoke with a source regarding Sanders and what kind of impression Texas made after the big win.

Source said that the win had an impact on Trey Sanders and Marcus Washington, in particular. Washington is a guy we’ve already said we feel good about.

Lakers-Fan-Takes-Off-Sunglasses.gif?ssl=

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/10/open-post-monday-october-8th/

Hide contents

Caleb Johnson Visiting Texas
– Super K

I just got off the phone with JUCO LB and Texas offer, Caleb Johnson (Fullerton College). Johnson tells me that he plans on taking his official visit to Texas this upcoming weekend.

Johnson is currently committed to Iowa State and says he has so far taken official visits to Iowa State and Colorado. He says this Texas official visit may end up being his last before he makes his final decision.

I asked him about the Colorado visit and he said, “I actually really liked it out there but I’m expecting this Texas visit to be nice”.

I’ll be in California later this week and among other players, I plan on seeing Johnson in-person.

5-Star | Trey Sanders | Quick-Hitter
– Super K

Not surprisingly, yesterday’s game had a huge recruiting impact. Texas was already looking good for Trey Sanders but I spoke with a source regarding Sanders and what kind of impression Texas made after the big win.

I am still not putting any weight behind this Sanders optimism. I hope more than anything that I am wrong but going head to head with Alabama for a priority target of theirs in the southeast? 

We better have our bagmen working on this one. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

If this happens, Herman would have sent a much bigger shockwave than Mack did with Sims and Redding.  

Number one spell his name right: Simms.  

Number two that's not correct.  While it would certainly make a huge splash you're not appreciating the magnitude of the Simms signing in 1999.  The signing of the #1 player in the nation-who was the son of a Super Bowl MVP and famous broadcaster-to a team that had been pretty much irrelevant for 17 years, made waves even outside of recruiting circles.  McCoy and Sanders would be HUGE recruiting news.  Signing Simms (and to a lesser extent Redding) made college football news.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I am still not putting any weight behind this Sanders optimism. I hope more than anything that I am wrong but going head to head with Alabama for a priority target of theirs in the southeast? 

We better have our bagmen working on this one. 

agree that sanders is not coming here.  I do find fault with your closing statement.  texas is and always has been a spotless program playing within the rules.  

15 minutes ago, futureman said:

agree that sanders is not coming here.  I do find fault with your closing statement.  texas is and always has been a spotless program playing within the rules.  

And I have a bridge to sell you.

Anyone is insane if they think we're squeaky clean and THOSE EVIL AGGYS are the only ones dirty in recruiting.  Everyone's dirty, it's a matter of getting caught or not and the extent. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Teryor said:

And I have a bridge to sell you.

Anyone is insane if they think we're squeaky clean and THOSE EVIL AGGYS are the only ones dirty in recruiting.  Everyone's dirty, it's a matter of getting caught or not and the extent. 

well, I know one thing, if I’m a recruit and you’re a booster I’m paying MSRP for that bridge, because that’s the way this program does things.  by the book.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If this happens, Herman would have sent a much bigger shockwave than Mack did with Sims and Redding.  

While it would be great, without question the Simms Redding signing were more earth shattering. Simms made it cool again to go to UT, ie player’s son, top recruit, expected to go to Tenn, etc. With Redding as the top defensive recruit in the country, it was incredibly kick ass.

53 minutes ago, futureman said:

well, I know one thing, if I’m a recruit and you’re a booster I’m paying MSRP for that bridge, because that’s the way this program does things.  by the book.  

Can't wait to hang the National Clean Program banner at DKR.

Edited by Not a Sock

1 hour ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

What are you, twelve?  Simms’ flip from Tenn was enormous-he was the second coming of Peyton in terms of recruiting narrative, and it coincided with Texas signing the best WR recruiting haul (on paper, based on ratings even if their careers didn’t bear this out) the following year, largely because those dudes wanted to play with him.  

Plus, signing Redding switched the North Shore pipeline away from Aggie, which had downriver effects in its own right. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

We haven't seen Derek K. at LG yet so I disagree. But I don't hate Vahe as much as some do.

Vahe is kind of like Boyd in that you will get one completely blown play per game with him on the field and you just have to hope it doesn't hurt you, but he is too good to keep off of it. The sack on Sam last week was a blown assignment by Vahe. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Honest question: are verbal, non-binding commitments for sale? Like paying a guy on a visit just to build hype for a class. 

I don't think your verbal commitment will move the needle much bro. 

Edited by Vertigo

23 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Vahe is kind of like Boyd in that you will get one completely blown play per game with him on the field and you just have to hope it doesn't hurt you, but he is too good to keep off of it. The sack on Sam last week was a blown assignment by Vahe. 

What? Vahe is our worst OL (except maybe Shack when he plays). He blows his assignment every time we try to pull him. And he can't zone block. 

Vahe is good if he has a very clear target and only has to run downhill to block them. Otherwise he's just not good. He's absolutely not too good to keep off the field. Ideally Shack would stop committing penalties and we'd bench Vahe for Rodriguez. 

This is a terrible comparison.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Anyone have the season stats for Cain and Sanders?

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/trey-sanders/2d3tpDvoEeOZXQAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

Trey Sanders- 41 carries for 291 yards, 7 catches for 90 yards

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/noah-cain/QKg3Z5p0EeS-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/football-stats.htm

Noah Cain- 57 carries for 359, 4 catches for 30

Not sure how updated or accurate maxpreps stats are

• Like 1

Just now, angelfacedmongoloid said:

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/trey-sanders/2d3tpDvoEeOZXQAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

Trey Sanders- 41 carries for 291 yards, 7 catches for 90 yards

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/noah-cain/QKg3Z5p0EeS-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/football-stats.htm

Noah Cain- 57 carries for 359, 4 catches for 30

Not sure how updated or accurate maxpreps stats are

Interesting. I thought Sanders was considered 1a to Cain's 1b, but Cain has gotten more carries. (Though Sanders has 7.1 ypc to Cain's 6.3.)