Texas recruiting notes 2019

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

TCU boards are not handling these last few weeks well. Several posters over at killerfrogs weren't disappointed in losing Kennedy Lewis because Brown is the "better of the WR commits". 

2 days later they find out Brown is going JUCO.

SIAP.....Another TCU decommit I just saw:

https://247sports.com/player/william-jones-46051025/

Not someone Texas was recruiting though....

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

"lol don't go to Texas, we always beat them" doesn't work so well when we beat them and have a better record, huh?

I'm interested to see what happens with TCU's roster if they keep losing. They already lost a few transfers today but that might be normal attrition. I can't imagine Fatterson is a fun coach to play for especially when you are losing. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

Mike Roach: What UT looks for when evaluating defensive linemen

Recruiting in the trenches is an inexact science. The Longhorns have had their struggles finding quality prospects on both sides of the line for the better part of the decade. Some of that could be attributed to constant turnover and a lack of identity, but things have changed. Tom Herman’s defensive staff led by coordinator Todd Orlando has a clear idea of what they are looking for along the defensive line. In the 2018 cycle, the Longhorns signed five defensive linemen with varying skillsets to staff their position.

Defensive tackle Keondre Coburn provided the nose tackle position with a powerfully built squatty body prospect who can play two gaps. Defensive ends Daniel Carson, Moro Ojomo and Michael Williams have the length and athleticism to handle the demanding responsibilities of the 4i position. Joseph Ossai’s future is yet to be determined as he grows in to his tremendous frame, but he could possibly play weak-side end or b-backer in Orlando’s scheme. As the Longhorns entered the 2019 cycle, their goal was to land more long, athletic bodies to play up front.

Texas landed Hunstville’s T’Vondre Sweat early in the cycle, but they missed out on their top target Demarvin Leal. Forced to identify secondary options, Texas evaluated and offered George Ranch defensive end Peter Mpagi. Defensive line recruiting is difficult because it requires a large amount of projection. When Texas landed Sweat and Mpagi, they identified traits they liked and hoped that the development would come. Both prospects had the frames necessary to carry the weight needed to play against the run, and they also possessed the quick twitch ability to disrupt passing offenses from the edge.

After viewing their senior film, it appears the investment is paying off. Halfway through their senior seasons, both players are showing progression. Mpagi added some weight to his frame, but he’s kept his quickness and lateral ability. Depending on how much weight he adds, Mpagi could stay on the weak side, but his frame is reminiscent to Charles Omenihu, so the 4i could be in his future. Sweat is perhaps the most improved prospect at the midpoint of this season. His junior film showed a raw athlete trying to get by on athletic ability. His senior film shows a player with a greater understanding of leverage and hand usage.

Sweat’s trajectory is exactly what college programs look for in a developing prospect. Now all they need to do is get him into workouts and refine his technique. Oscar Giles has been praised for his ability to develop raw defensive line prospects, and he will be asked to do that once again. When looking for milestones on the path of development, both prospects appear to be ahead of schedule.

• Like 1

E.J. Holland: Quick hitters on recruiting in trenches

— As we reported yesterday, Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles was in Iowa yesterday evaluating JUCO DL Malcolm Lee. While an offer wasn’t extended on the spot, Lee is definitely worth monitoring. He his high on Texas and loves what the Longhorns are doing this season. Even without an offer Texas is in his top group along with Iowa, Houston, Kansas State and UCF. Lee is hoping to make an official visit to Texas before the December period.

— Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand was also in Iowa yesterday to see JUCO offensive lineman Myron Cunningham. Like with Lee, Cunningham is firmly on UT’s radar and could be a prospect the Longhorns chose to offer in the near future. Cunningham holds half a dozen scholarships, with Arkansas and Nebraska making the biggest impressions. If Texas decides to jump in the mix, the Longhorns should receive an official visit before the December period.

— Texas is still on the prowl for an interior offensive lineman this cycle, and as we mentioned a few weeks ago, Waxahachie product LaDarius Henderson is on the radar. Henderson is currently committed to Arizona State, but a Texas offer would cause a shakeup in his recruitment. He is definitely one to monitor as the staff continues to evaluate prospects upfront.

— Four-star 2020 offensive lineman Jaylen Garth is a priority for next cycle. Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck is slated to see quarterback commit Roschon Johnson on Friday in game action and will have his eye on Garth as well. Right now, we feel really good about where the Longhorns stand with Garth, especially after his visit over the weekend.

Haven't seen it posted yet but it's EJ's update from last night: Scoop on five-star targets

Spoiler

— Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer is expected to go see five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy in game action later this week. I am told that things are continuing to progress with McCoy and that he and his family are still planning to make another trip to Austin before the end of the season. I am also told that Texas is doing a phenomenal job with his parents and that they love what UT is doing on the field. While USC will be tough to the end, Texas has made this an extremely interesting recruitment and one they could ultimately win.

— Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton is slated to see five-star IMG Academy (Fla.) product Trey Sanders in game action on Saturday. I am closer than ever to taking a risk and putting in a Crystal Ball for Texas. From everything I’ve heard today, Texas has won over Sanders, and UT is his personal preference. Sanders’ parents, however, are from the Jacksonville area and would like him closer to home hence why Alabama and Florida are the other two major players. There is still some work to be done, but Texas is trending the right way. It's also worth mentioning that Texas commit Jordan Whittington has established a strong friendship with Sanders, and the two speak regularly. 33COMMEN

— Drayton will also see four-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cain on Saturday. Right now, I still feel like LSU is the team to beat, but Texas has caught his attention with its on field performances. Cain and his family really wanted to see improved offensive line play this season, and Herb Hand has certainly delivered. Cain is still expected to make an official visit to Texas later this fall/winter.

— Tom Herman obviously hit the road hard in D-FW today as he swung by Highland Park, Duncanville, Lancaster, DeSoto and Cedar Hill. Texas is working hard to establish more of a presence in the metroplex. But Herman hasn’t forgotten his bread and butter — Houston. His schedule is still in the works, but Herman will be down in Houston later in the week and will likely catch some games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Haven't seen it posted yet but it's EJ's update from last night: Scoop on five-star targets

Reveal hidden contents

— Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer is expected to go see five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy in game action later this week. I am told that things are continuing to progress with McCoy and that he and his family are still planning to make another trip to Austin before the end of the season. I am also told that Texas is doing a phenomenal job with his parents and that they love what UT is doing on the field. While USC will be tough to the end, Texas has made this an extremely interesting recruitment and one they could ultimately win.

— Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton is slated to see five-star IMG Academy (Fla.) product Trey Sanders in game action on Saturday. I am closer than ever to taking a risk and putting in a Crystal Ball for Texas. From everything I’ve heard today, Texas has won over Sanders, and UT is his personal preference. Sanders’ parents, however, are from the Jacksonville area and would like him closer to home hence why Alabama and Florida are the other two major players. There is still some work to be done, but Texas is trending the right way. It's also worth mentioning that Texas commit Jordan Whittington has established a strong friendship with Sanders, and the two speak regularly. 33COMMEN

— Drayton will also see four-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cain on Saturday. Right now, I still feel like LSU is the team to beat, but Texas has caught his attention with its on field performances. Cain and his family really wanted to see improved offensive line play this season, and Herb Hand has certainly delivered. Cain is still expected to make an official visit to Texas later this fall/winter.

— Tom Herman obviously hit the road hard in D-FW today as he swung by Highland Park, Duncanville, Lancaster, DeSoto and Cedar Hill. Texas is working hard to establish more of a presence in the metroplex. But Herman hasn’t forgotten his bread and butter — Houston. His schedule is still in the works, but Herman will be down in Houston later in the week and will likely catch some games.

If Bru and his family come back for an unofficial visit then it may be calculator time.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Powell would be the largest nickel to play for Texas in recent memory. He better be a helluva athlete to play nickel, but yes the timing makes sense. 

josh thompson will be playing nickel next year.  reevaluate your entire life and then repost. 

3 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

TCU suffering karmic retribution for Fatterson negative recruiting us all these years.

I originally read that as "carbonic maceration", but then realized that this wasn't a wine thread focusing on Beaujolais... 

...but then thought that you were showing your wine knowledge while mocking TCU.

I need to step away from the computer.

30 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

J.J. Coleman is a good little athlete, but he is NOT 5'11", 175 lbs, and he does NOT run a sub 4.5 second 40 yard dash.

He is 5'8"-ish and about 160 lbs and runs about a 4.6+ second 40 yard dash.

J.J. would be a nice player (on offense only) for a NESCAC* school. Div III (or whatever it's called these days) where offensive linemen are 250 lbs. I don't think that he's even big enough, strong enough, nor fast enough for the Ivy League.

Bru McCoy is a beast! He does look like a top WR who could be a top WR in college, but if he wants to go pro (and he will, of course), then he will need to focus on LB at some point before he declares for the draft. But he could be a beast of a college WR.

*NESCAC = "New England Small College Athletic Conference" and includes schools like Middlebury, Wesleyan, Bates, Bowdoin, Colby, Amherst, Williams, Tufts, Trinity (Hartford, CT)...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, futureman said:

josh thompson will be playing nickel next year.  reevaluate your entire life and then repost. 

Thompson  is 6’ even. https://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Thompson-88228/

Powell is listed at 6’2’’ and might already be in the same weight class as Thompson. https://247sports.com/Player/Peyton-Powell-46055198/

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Mookie, Jake Smith, and Josh Moore will do great things. 

will they now