Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Just now, texifornia said:

Google is your friend - we have 18 commits: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

Sorry, was more asking about the quality of the class.  I thought 15 commits sounded low.  Regardless, that link also shows #9 . . . just trying to understand where we the thinking is we'll end up after Dec/Feb. 

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sorry, was more asking about the quality of the class.  I thought 15 commits sounded low.  Regardless, that link also shows #9 . . . just trying to understand where we the thinking is we'll end up after Dec/Feb. 

QB, TE, slot receiver - studs

LB - potentially really good if we can land one instant-impact guy at Rover

Outside WR - very good but could have been even better

OL - one stud and probably a handful of good prospects, plus one or two immediate contributors through JUCO/grad transfer. Center is anyone's guess right now.

DL - Some very good prospects, but probably no top-end talent. Might need an immediate contributor at DE

Outside corner - one potential stud, one intriguing developmental prospect

Safety - Not quite 2018 but really good, nickel is TBD

RB - one decent back, TBD after that (but probably nobody elite)

Edited by Machinator

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

QB, TE, slot receiver - studs

LB - potentially really good if we can land one instant-impact guy at Rover

Outside WR - very good but could have been even better

OL - one stud and probably a handful of good prospects, plus one or two immediate contributors through JUCO/grad transfer. Center is anyone's guess right now.

DL - Some very good prospects, but probably no top-end talent. Might need an immediate contributor at DE

Outside corner - one potential stud, one intriguing developmental prospect

Safety - Not quite 2018 but really good, nickel is TBD

RB - one decent back, TBD after that (but probably nobody elite)

Thanks.  OL seems to be an ongoing "position of concern".  Not too worried about numbers in the secondary this year, given the haul in 2018 (some of which is proving itself on the field).

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks.  OL seems to be an ongoing "position of concern".  Not too worried about numbers in the secondary this year, given the haul in 2018 (some of which is proving itself on the field).

I won't say I'm "not" concerned about the OL status in recruiting, but I am more confident in their evaluations and what Herb Hand can do with them after these first seven games.

This OL, who is starting two 3* guys from Herman's first class in '17, was just recognized as one of the 14 units to catch the eye of The Joe Moore Award committee, who awards the best offensive line unit at the end of the season. That's big, for what Herman is working with.

I'm a bit more concerned about the DL. 

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The staff places a huge amount of emphasis on senior tape with linemen once you get beyond the obvious can't-miss guys, so look for a bunch of new offers as the year goes on to guys like Henderson and Hookfin.

Edited by texifornia

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I won't say I'm "not" concerned about the OL status in recruiting, but I am more confident in their evaluations and what Herb Hand can do with them after these first seven games.

This OL, who is starting two 3* guys from Herman's first class in '17, was just recognized as one of the 14 units to catch the eye of The Joe Moore Award committee, who awards the best offensive line unit at the end of the season. That's big, for what Herman is working with.

I've read a lot of people giving a lot of credit to Herb Hand for the improvement in the Texas OL and while he deserves credit I want to point out that probably the most important person on this staff, aside from Tom Herman, is Yancy McKnight and that dude deserves a SHIT TON of credit.  Give him some moldable clay with upside and a RS season and let him do work, esp on the LOS guys

The reshaping in these guys is undeniable and it has manifested in a quicker and stronger OL  :: 

DpegBjsXcAAMRLO.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I've read a lot of people giving a lot of credit to Herb Hand for the improvement in the Texas OL and while he deserves credit I want to point out that probably the most important person on this staff, aside from Tom Herman, is Yancy McKnight and that dude deserves a SHIT TON of credit.  Give him some moldable clay with upside and a RS season and let him do work, esp on the LOS guys

The reshaping in these guys is undeniable and it has manifested in a quicker and stronger OL  :: 

DpegBjsXcAAMRLO.jpg

Holy fuck, Tope Imade looks like a fucking giant among giants. How the shit is that guy not just murdering people? That guy looks like the the villain in a fucking horror movie 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, golfclap said:

DpegBjsXcAAMRLO.jpg

There's a reason many football HCs say the most important hire they'll make is the S&C coach.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/10/open-post-wednesday-october-17th/

Updates from California
– Super K

Some thoughts on players from the Mater Dei vs. St. John Bosco game.

***On Bru McCoy I’ll add to this tweet I posted…

He’s all the things you expect him to be but I’d really to see what he can do when he’s able to catch his breath. He didn’t sit out much at all. In fact, I kept trying to find him on the sideline to get some sideline pictures and as soon as he came out, he’d be going right back in.

Also, football is definitely more physical in California than I expected. Not sure if it was just this particular game but they were letting the guys play. This was in the 4th quarter after I imagine McCoy was exhausted. You see he’s getting physical with 4-star DB, Trent McDuffie.

Didn’t speak to the Mater Dei kids after the game. They were, as you can imagine, very upset. But I did talk to McCoy’s father the night before and I plan on speaking to him again later today to see what the remaining visit plans are. As you know, McCoy still has a while before he makes a decision.

I still believe this one is USC vs. Texas.

Peyton Powell | Post Visit Notes
– Charlie S

– Touched base with 2019 Athlete Peyton Powell out of Odessa, TX (Permian) following his official visit to Austin for the Baylor game this past weekend.

– I asked him how the visit went, and if anything stood out to him and he said “The Coaches. Everything was amazing about Texas”

– When I asked him about where the coaches see him fitting in at UT, Powell said “They want to bring me in as the dual-threat QB that they don’t have on the roster”.

– As for a timeline on when he plans on announcing his commitment and if he has any other visits set, Powell said “It will be soon. Me and another dude going to the Tech game on Saturday, and I don’t have another visit scheduled”.

Caleb Johnson | Post Visit Update
– Super K

I spoke with JUCO LB, Caleb Johnson (Fullerton CC). As you know, Johnson took a visit to Texas this past weekend.

Johnson went into the visit with high expectations. Prior to his visit he said he expected Texas and Austin to really impress him.

Texas didn’t disappoint, “It definintely exceeded my expectations. The vibe of the place and the game, it was amazing.”

Johnson is an LA guy so the city where he goes to school is going to play a factor, “Austin didn’t seem that much different than Cali. So much to do out there. The campus is like it’s own little city.”

Johnson said the visit went so well that he actually consider committing. But ultimately decided against it, “I was for sure thinking about it (committing) but then I thought I should take my visits. It’s going to be hard to beat Texas but I definitely thought about it (committing) but I just told myself it’d be better to take the visits just to make sure”.

So far, Johnson has taken official visits to Iowa State, Colorado, and Texas. Next weekend he will take a visit to Arkansas which will leave him with one remaining official visit.

As I mentioned prior to his visit, Johnson is hoping for an offer from a particular school that he grew up rooting for. That school is Oregon and while they’ve been in touch, he’s unsure if an offer will come. Caleb said he will likely wait another week or so and just move on.

However, he’d still like to take his final visit. If not to Oregon then perhaps to another school as he has numerous programs still reaching out.

Caleb said that regardless, he would like to have his commitment done in November at the latest.

Texas is sitting in a good spot at the moment. Should a school like Oregon offer, they’ll quickly become competition for the Horns.

If Texas doesn’t land Caleb, a target they could go after is Vic Viramontes out of Riverside CC (California). Viramontes told me that Texas has been in touch.

Kennedy Lewis Decommits From TCU 
– Charlie S

– 2019 wide receiver and Hook Em offer, Kennedy Lewis out of Melissa, Texas, has tweeted out his official decommitment from TCU…

– Lewis was in town for the Baylor game, and as we have mentioned, should the Longhorns push for him…well we like their chances.

– Spoke to K as he was hopping on a flight from Cali back to Texas and he has been in touch with Kennedy.

– Doesn’t sound like a decision is imminent as he (Lewis) would like to take some out of state visits to Notre Dame and Florida

– We still are very confident where Texas stands with Lewis and K will have more on him soon

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'm a bit more concerned about the DL. 

Roach, Omenihu, Nelson and Hager were all 3-stars and have been serviceable. Once we start getting some more athletically gifted players in those spots, we should be dominant along the DL.  Ossai, Graham, Ojomo and Coburn are a start. 

• Like 1

Just now, EZ$ said:

Ossai, Graham, Ojomo and Coburn are a start. 

I was REALLY happy to read the recent stuff from Chris Nelson talking about how Coburn is taking extra mental reps and asking tons of questions. I worried if he would buy in and/or put in that next level effort. His athleticism and effort between the lines was never a concern for me, but to hear that he's going so hard at practice and soaking up the info from the coaches and Nelson, etc ...   very, VERY good news.  

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I was REALLY happy to read the recent stuff from Chris Nelson talking about how Coburn is taking extra mental reps and asking tons of questions. I worried if he would buy in and/or put in that next level effort. His athleticism and effort between the lines was never a concern for me, but to hear that he's going so hard at practice and soaking up the info from the coaches and Nelson, etc ...   very, VERY good news.  

He's lost like 25 pounds as well. He's apparently looking really good physically.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Roach, Omenihu, Nelson and Hager were all 3-stars and have been serviceable. Once we start getting some more athletically gifted players in those spots, we should be dominant along the DL.  Ossai, Graham, Ojomo and Coburn are a start. 

It's limited reps but I've been surprised with Bimage. There's been parts of this season where Bimage has outplayed Hager. 

Agreed.  I like Brown more than most.  

I think Wiley and Liebrock are excellent.  Wiley will need some time to bake but Im a fan of his athleticism and him playing QB this year.  I believe it helps guys understand what a QB looks for and needs in a receiver.  

Sweat and Mpagi were fantastic evaluations. 

Still need some freaks but I bet those come when we start consistently winning more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I think six receivers before Bru/Wilson is a little overkill, even if one of those guys fits better on defense, but I'm just an asshole on a computer who isn't getting paid the big bucks to assemble a roster 

Powell will probably play defense, so I wouldn’t count him in that six.