Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Helton’s base salary is absurdly low (2.6 million?) which would help with a buyout, but I don’t think they can afford to fire him. USC’s best hire was their 4th choice for head coach. They aren’t getting a new head coach this year, if they do, it won’t be a splash hire. 

• Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, RabidM said:

That's not good for us. We need USC to keep Helton but for everyone to know he's a dead man walking there.  A new coach probably gives them a recruiting bump, unless it's just a horrible hire.

McCoy is an early enrollee. I don't think he's gonna wait around to see who they hire.

20 minutes ago, VaHorn said:

Helton’s base salary is absurdly low (2.6 million?) which would help with a buyout, but I don’t think they can afford to fire him. USC’s best hire was their 4th choice for head coach. They aren’t getting a new head coach this year, if they do, it won’t be a splash hire. 

Money will not be a problem. Trusting the AD will hire the right guy is. 

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Aren't they cousins? Whittington's HS productivity has been better than Moore's from what I can recall. He also isn't as raw as Moore.

If Moore continues to put on size and develop as a football player, he will have plenty of versatility too.

Its funny how people can have similiar measurables. Height, weight testing scores. And one can be an all american and the other a role player. 

Im not pointing any fingers in this situation. Im just pointing out a fact. 

35 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Money will not be a problem. Trusting the AD will hire the right guy is. 

Money is definitely a problem. Helton is the 47th highest paid football coach. Couple a buyout and see what they can afford. Not sure where this “USC has a lot of money” rumor started. 

• Fuck You 1

That's not good for us. We need USC to keep Helton but for everyone to know he's a dead man walking there.  A new coach probably gives them a recruiting bump, unless it's just a horrible hire.

New coaches don’t generally get a recruiting bump - especially with the early signing period right around the corner.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cdain3 said:

McCoy is an early enrollee. I don't think he's gonna wait around to see who they hire.

He doesn't have to sign early to enroll early. He can wait until just before classes start if I'm not mistaken.

I have no idea what the impact is on their class. Nobody does.

1 hour ago, Wishbone said:

Cuero is a good new engalnd sized state away from the valley.

True, but I call any place I’ve hunted bobwhite South Texas and Cuero like Falfurious and Alice probably don’t play anyone until a few rounds into the playoffs.

2 hours ago, RabidM said:

If you don't see the head coach of our primary competition getting fired as good for us, then Bru to Texas wasn't meant to be. If they can make a hire that quickly, and that head coach can convince Bru to go to USC, then we never had a real chance.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

He doesn't have to sign early to enroll early. He can wait until just before classes start if I'm not mistaken.

I have no idea what the impact is on their class. Nobody does.

I don't think one month is enough time to build a relationship with a new coach. 

24 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

If you don't see the head coach of our primary competition getting fired as good for us, then Bru to Texas wasn't meant to be. If they can make a hire that quickly, and that head coach can convince Bru to go to USC, then we never had a real chance.

It can be good in the short term, but bad in the long term if USC nails the hire by chance. 

That's the only reasoning I can see. 

FSU and USC are number 3 and 6 respectively over the past 5 years recruiting.  FSU is funny because aggy bought that fools gold, USC is just sad, the whole place in disarray (except song girls).  

Looking at the college injury report list and outside WSU and Stanford the entire conference looks like a triage center led by USC and UCLA with close to 40 players injured.  Pretty damn strong correlation between talent level,  injuries and performance, FSU is right up there with them. 

The 3 service academies have 11 injured between them, navy has over half of them and army has 2   Not much high level talent, but disciplined and conditioned.

Domer is over achieving with their opposition being down, always good recruiting and only 4 injured players this late into the season.  There's certainly an element of luck involved in a season as far as injury goes, but it's interesting to look at the injury reports and compare talent level, injuries and records   

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I've been thinking if we were to land Caleb Johnson would we take S. Cooper if he wanted to come (assuming he OV's) with numbers getting tight.  Not much next year in-state for LB.

I think so. We are really thin and don't see us passing on that type of talent. Caleb is a two year player and no guarantee he can stay healthy/wins a starting job.