Texas recruiting notes 2019

I'm not optimistic on Bru, but I'm hardly saying there's no chance. I'm more curious as to KK. Others have touched on it, but the notion of him spending a "fun" year in LA is stupid. That is a bad spot for him. He has to turn around dysfunction, do it in a year, and hope the results show enough to catapult him to another high profile job. I can't believe I'm saying this, but he'd honestly be better off going to North Carolina. He should definitely weigh all his options out there. If he took a job at USC, and the dysfunction there ate everything alive and he looked like shit, his shine wouldn't be nearly as high as it is right now. 

The fact that he is still considering the dumpster fire at USC just tells me that it is a difficult decision for him to walk away from his old high school buddies and his childhood favorite school. But just because a decision is difficult doesn’t mean he won’t make the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not optimistic on Bru, but I'm hardly saying there's no chance.

I mean obviously he's giving USC every last chance, but it's interesting to see reaction on here that it HAS to mean "he's done." and it won't be Texas. Giving USC every last chance while not committing to them and still floating around the idea of Texas, to me means Texas is in pretty deep here. 

I'd bet on USC, but that it is going on this long isn't a terrible thing for the good guys.

Edited by UncleBuck

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Chiefs are only an option if Eric Bienemy gets a HC job after the season.  He's definitely considered to be a hot candidate - but as of today there is no opening in KC for Kliff to be hired into. 

I'm aware. Those are two jobs he's interested in. 

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

I wonder if Kliff would be willing to wait until late January for a possible NFL job - or if he'd take a college job first. 

He has several job offers both in college and the pros already. Unless the pro offers get filled while they're waiting on him, then he's in a good spot to go around and see what fits. Worst case scenario, he goes somewhere as an analyst. He's in LA, so I won't disregard USC, but that one seems dumb to me, although maybe being able to coach Daniels and Amon-Ra I appealing to him

The extent of his coaching career is "learning" under Sumlin and then getting the Tech job before he was ready for it, so it would make sense to go somewhere to learn under a top coach (no pun intended), although if he goes to USC, that notion goes out the window 

** To make this recruiting thread worthy, this type of splash hire would hurt us with Bru, imo tbh no shit 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

To make this recruiting thread worthy, this type of splash hire would hurt us with Bru, imo tbh no shit 

They almost have to make a splash hire.  Not only for Bru but for future recruiting.  I'm not one to think we don't have a chance with Bru but I do think USC will hire someone they feel will get future recruits excited.  If Bru is looking for an excuse to go to USC I don't see them screwing it up and not giving him one.

2 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

They almost have to make a splash hire.  Not only for Bru but for future recruiting.  I'm not one to think we don't have a chance with Bru but I do think USC will hire someone they feel will get future recruits excited.  If Bru is looking for an excuse to go to USC I don't see them screwing it up and not giving him one.

It's difficult to make a splash, or even merely good, hire when you're on the hotseat. We'll see. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

They're much closer to Sterlin Gilbert territory than Kliff territory imo

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Fud said:

He has several job offers both in college and the pros already. Unless the pro offers get filled while they're waiting on him, then he's in a good spot to go around and see what fits. Worst case scenario, he goes somewhere as an analyst. He's in LA, so I won't disregard USC, but that one seems dumb to me, although maybe being able to coach Daniels and Amon-Ra I appealing to him

The extent of his coaching career is "learning" under Sumlin and then getting the Tech job before he was ready for it, so it would make sense to go somewhere to learn under a top coach (no pun intended), although if he goes to USC, that notion goes out the window 

** To make this recruiting thread worthy, this type of splash hire would hurt us with Bru, imo tbh no shit 

Maybe he prefers a bottom coach.

• Like 1

At the end of the day it's still a business decision for Bru. Life > high school buddies. Daniels isn't exactly lighting it up this year, and Bru/his family both know retaining Helton is only for the year. He's looking for a reason to go to USC, but that doesn't mean at the end of the day that's where he'll end up. I view this like a Walker Little recruitment. 

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

At the end of the day it's still a business decision for Bru. Life > high school buddies. Daniels isn't exactly lighting it up this year, and Bru/his family both know retaining Helton is only for the year. He's looking for a reason to go to USC, but that doesn't mean at the end of the day that's where he'll end up. I view this like a Walker Little recruitment. 

Business decision for Bru extends beyond the 3-4 years of football he plays. The USC connection means a lot for someone with Southern California roots.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

if it is a business or "life" decision, then he is 100% going to USC - alumni network is huge obv, dude is from Southern Cal and evidently wants to live there. 

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

if it is a business or "life" decision, then he is 100% going to USC - alumni network is huge obv, dude is from Southern Cal and evidently wants to live there. 

Not necessarily. He would have already shut it down if that were the case. USC network is good, but Texas' is stronger. I have no doubt he wants to go there, but he's not just saying "oh well, I'll just go ahead and sign and see who they hire later". Fuck no. This dude is like Malik and wants to know who will be coaching him. That was aggys fail at the end of the day. They didn't hire anyone worth a shit/wasted too much time.

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Business decision for Bru extends beyond the 3-4 years of football he plays. The USC connection means a lot for someone with Southern California roots.

Right. But if he were dead set on usc even beyond football, he would have shut it down. At the end of the day, he wants to be successful on the field. Texas has an amazing network, too. He's giving usc a chance, but he hasn't exactly told them he'll go there no matter what. That's foolish. This isn't usc vs Oregon State. This usc vs Texas. He ain't shutting shit down until he knows who will be coaching him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

Not necessarily. He would have already shut it down if that were the case. USC network is good, but Texas' is stronger. I have no doubt he wants to go there, but he's not just saying "oh well, I'll just go ahead and sign and see who they hire later". Fuck no. This dude is like Malik and wants to know who will be coaching him. That was aggys fail at the end of the day. They didn't hire anyone worth a shit/wasted too much time.

not the case if he wants to live in Southern Cal.

you are right, if it was only a business decision then the decision would be made. he is looking for a reason to stay there (which he has all but said in every interview/quote from him and evidenced by his bumping back the OV)

...BUT he is still considering Texas. Texas is still in it. which bodes well in general...

Just now, NoName said:

not the case if he wants to live in Southern Cal.

you are right, if it was only a business decision then the decision would be made. he is looking for a reason to stay there (which he has all but said in every interview/quote from him and evidenced by his bumping back the OV)

...BUT he is still considering Texas. Texas is still in it. which bodes well in general...

Correct. I think he's just giving Helton time, but at the end of the day it will be Texas. Helton is just rearranging chairs on the titanic. Bru and his family know this. It's a hard decision, but Herman is making SoCal kids feel comfortable in Austin. 

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

..BUT he is still considering Texas. Texas is still in it. which bodes well in general...

You have your dream school on the line, waiting, and you still haven't given them the nod? Maybe I'm being naive, but most kids with that "dream school" offer have decided by this point, and usually won't toy around very long. Texas is very competitive for him right now. He's thinking hard, I imagine. 

10 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Right. But if he were dead set on usc even beyond football, he would have shut it down. At the end of the day, he wants to be successful on the field. Texas has an amazing network, too. He's giving usc a chance, but he hasn't exactly told them he'll go there no matter what. That's foolish. This isn't usc vs Oregon State. This usc vs Texas. He ain't shutting shit down until he knows who will be coaching him. 

I say we win this battle with a long push finalized by Herman bringin' it home in the end.

Just now, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Also, there is more vagina on this thread than in every thread in the U in her B forum combined.  I look forward to the day when this program has its balls back and Herman unleashes the recruiting firepower of a fully armed and operational University of Texas Death Star. The hand wringing here is fucking embarrassing. I can't wait until we regain our rightful stature as the arrogant entitled self-important assholes that we are. 

so next cycle

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I am loath to paraphrase Mack Brown, but he used to say that if he brought recruits to campus and they didn't want to come to Texas then they were either stupid or blind, and in either case he didn't want them.

I mean, this is the dumbest thing Mack Brown has ever said that's ever been paraphrased. 

Your second paragraph is fantastic. 

45 minutes ago, NoName said:

Yup..You can not work in LA unless you go to LA school and you can't work in Texas without a degree from UT and you can't work in NYC without a degree from Colombia or NYU.   This shit is so dumb

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not optimistic on Bru, but I'm hardly saying there's no chance. I'm more curious as to KK. Others have touched on it, but the notion of him spending a "fun" year in LA is stupid. That is a bad spot for him. He has to turn around dysfunction, do it in a year, and hope the results show enough to catapult him to another high profile job. I can't believe I'm saying this, but he'd honestly be better off going to North Carolina. He should definitely weigh all his options out there. If he took a job at USC, and the dysfunction there ate everything alive and he looked like shit, his shine wouldn't be nearly as high as it is right now. 

He will go NFL before he goes to North Carolina. USC would be an amazing gig for him with little downside if it falls apart for a year. He could hit the NFL next year, or be such a roaring success that he takes over for Helton. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

He will go NFL before he goes to North Carolina. USC would be an amazing gig for him with little downside if it falls apart for a year. He could hit the NFL next year, or be such a roaring success that he takes over for Helton.  

If KK has a lot of success at USC then Helton will keep his job. Of course, KK would keep his job as well. What KK needs from USC is a long-term guaranteed contract.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not optimistic on Bru, but I'm hardly saying there's no chance. I'm more curious as to KK. Others have touched on it, but the notion of him spending a "fun" year in LA is stupid. That is a bad spot for him. He has to turn around dysfunction, do it in a year, and hope the results show enough to catapult him to another high profile job.

I'm not saying he would do that, just that he's in a unique situation. He has money, he has opportunity, and he is already in transition and has to move anyway.

• Fuck You 1