Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

Seems like Cain is looking for reasons not to come to Texas now.  How does the North Shore back compare?

Why do people keep saying this? He and Bru and most of these other high-end guys are giving generically positive remarks about every school on their list because they've been giving the exact same interviews for weeks and are completely bored of the recruiting media at this point.

Also, Evans is a super freak, he's going to have a wild recruitment next year.

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Eh, Malzahn's pretty good. Auburn backers just have a skewed idea of how many years in a decade they should realistically be competitive.

Auburn is Bamaggy, all the way down to the delusional fanbase, minus the aggressive homosexual traditions. 

Eric Nahlin: Tuesday Recruiting Notes

As we approach the seventh inning stretch for the Class of 2019, Texas has once again put itself in position for a potential top-five finish. If the staff can pull that off, you'll see back-to-back top-five finishes for the first time since the Mack Brown era. In this decade, Mack Brown, Charlie Strong, and Tom Herman in his first year, all sold the future, the promise of a new day, and to become a part of the group that puts the "T" back in Texas, or something like that. Now, as Texas fields a promising team, it can sell the present.

The present is a Top 10 ranking and appearance in the Big 12 Championship Game with an efficient offense led by an exciting sophomore quarterback. The defense, for all its imperfections, still plays hard and physically. With three weeks until the first National Signing Day, the on-field product has only helped the staff's recruiting efforts for this cycle. 

Jalen Catalon: Despite all the Arkansas love, Catalon has maintained he's taking his official visit to Austin the weekend of December 14th. It's clear the Hogs lead, but Catalon is a man of his word and that means honoring his intentions to visit one last time. His relationship with Craig Naivar at least gives Texas a puncher's chance. The Horns will roll out the proverbial red carpet and go full-court press. I'd explain the average size RB in the SEC and show him how he compares to one of their thighs. Love this kid but the SEC is not where he belongs, at least if he's playing nickel.

A tall order but something that must happen for Texas to have a chance is Tom Herman winning over the parents. That means quality time spent in the Herman household for Tom to overcome some bad recent press. Texas sources still have a glimmer of hope in this one, as well as a plan on how to make the final pitch.

Bru McCoy: Texas feels it has done everything it can to this point to pull off the steal of the cycle. Expect a staff visit early next week (not sure if Herman is going, he should save his one in-home), hopefully with coaches adorned in Big 12 Champions gear.

Caleb Johnson: Ask me after his Oregon official visit this weekend. Linebacker numbers in Eugene might help the Horns. UT has recruited him about as well as it can.

Running Backs: Texas wants one more to join Georgia native Derrian Brown. Noah Cain is the answer every Texas fans wants to hear. UT knows this won't be easy. Cain just visited Georgia, really likes Penn State, and will sign early and enroll in January. Conventional wisdom says the Horns lead, but overconfidence in recruiting can be detrimental. Like in actual games, don't let your foot off the gas. I think the Cain recruitment might still have another twist and turn. Stan Drayton has done well to position Texas for the signature. Now, the staff just needs to close through in-person visits. 

Texas has backup plans in case Cain falls through. Sebring (FL) DJ Williams picked up a UT offer recently and is looking at setting up an official -- likely December 7th. The 5-foot-11, 210-pounder has ties to the Miami program - nephew of Edgerrin James - and has been a lifelong fan. Deondrick Glass is still a name to file away, though time is running short.

Offensive Linemen: Texas wants two more in the class. Isaiah Hookfin is likely in, so that leaves one spot. Andrew Coker and Myron Cunningham come to mind. Coker, a TCU pledge, transformed his body over the last season or two and became one of the best prospects along the o-line in Texas. He has yet to visit Texas officially, but that could happen in the next few weeks. Problem is Coker knows if he sets foot on campus in Austin, he'll likely flip. Coker wants to honor his commitment to the Horned Frogs and avoid the wrath of the sweat machine, Gary Patterson. He's interested and that's where we are right now. 

Myron Cunningham tripped to OU two weeks ago and loved it. He also has an OV scheduled for Arkansas in a couple weeks. He's said he'll visit Texas at some point, we just need to nail down a date. Jay Williams (Grossmont College) and Darius Tisdale (Lackawanna C.C. Pennsylvania) are also names to stash away. 

NOTES on Texas commits

Tyler Owens: Plano East safety, wants to wait until the 2nd NSD to ink with the Horns. He'd like to sign with his high school teammates in February, similar to Keaontay Ingram last winter. He's also looking to set up an official to UCLA, which might concern some, but Texas isn't too worried right now. UCLA is a notorious vacation visit destination. 

Javonne Shepherd: The OL from Houston North Forest, is on his way to Texas today (he may be there by now). As I write that, I sort of chuckle. This recruitment rang the Navy Seals bell months ago. But despite the constant reporting he'd be visiting Texas A&M, he never did. I feel good that UT gets his signature, and that it better be during NSD1. Nobody wants to drag this out any longer. Expect this sage to be put to bed on December 19th.

Jared Wiley and Marques Caldwell:These two will take their official visits the weekend of December 7th. Expect others in town as well. This will be a good weekend to have any out-of-state targets on campus as they would have a chance to get to know potential future classmates. 

With the open period upon us, Texas has a CCG to prepare for. You can bet the staff will be on the road within 24 hours after its battle with Oklahoma at AT&T Stadium.

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I was just looking at the player rankings for the state of California to find out where De'Gabriel Floyd is ranked within the state (11 for those interested).  I was shocked to see that USC currently only has two of the top 20 players in California committed to them. Oregon has five, and is likely to land the state's top player Kayvon Thibodeaux.  USC has the 29th ranked class in the country. Their highest rated player is 120 in the composite. It's conceivable that USC only manages to land 4 of the top 20 players in the State of California this year if Bru chooses Texas, assuming Sean Rhyan and Kyle Ford choose USC. If some truly freaky shit goes down, they may only land those two players who are already committed. They've got a real fucking dumpster fire going on over there. 

Well Wiltfong just put in a crystal ball for Sean Rhyan to UCLA, also has his on Washington already for Kyle Ford. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Well Wiltfong just put in a crystal ball for Sean Rhyan to UCLA, also has his on Washington already for Kyle Ford. 

Yikes. Some of the national guys thought that Kyle Ford looked like the best WR in the country during the spring/summer camp circuit. 

25 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

which i-35 motel does baylor put the recruits in during their OV's?

there was that famous "rent by the hour" one on the hill behind the feeder road on sb I35 in Belton /Temple right before 190 into Harker Heights..not official "Waco" but fucking Round Rock is just South Waco nowadays. 

probably gone.. but legendary house of ill repute... especially for a 17 year old kid heading out of the SPJST hall in Academy. 

or so I've heard 

COME ON DOWN TO TEXAS BRU..... 🤘

This usually doesn't end well..... OC, DL, DB and QB coaches not returning 

Sources: Tee Martin will not return amid staff shakeup at USC

By Zach Barnett -
November 27, 2018

Tee Martin will not return as USC’s offensive coordinator, sources told FootballScoop Tuesday.

Additionally, sources told FootballScoop that defensive backs coach Ronnie Bradford will not return to the staff.

The moves come as Clay Helton shakes up his staff after a 5-7 season that saw significant pressure upon USC’s administration to fire the head coach. USC AD Lynn Swann opted to retain Helton with the understanding significant changes will be made from 2018 to 2019.

Trojans defensive line coach Kenechi Udeze also announced Tuesday he will not return. Quarterbacks coach Bryan Ellis has also left to become the offensive coordinator on Tyson Helton’s staff at Western Kentucky, meaning four of Helton’s 10 assistant spots have now turned over.

Martin was stripped of play-calling duties mid-season as Helton looked to shake up the Trojans’ struggling offense.

“Tee and I have had conversations about this decision, and he was supportive,” Helton said at the time. “He has done a tremendous job here. He will stay involved with the offense as he remains the offensive coordinator, helps put together our practice and game plans, and serves as my offensive eyes during games.”

USC was 4-4 before the change and 1-3 after.

In changing quarterbacks from No. 3 overall pick Sam Darnold to true freshman JT Daniels, USC slipped from 13th to 84th nationally in yards per play from 2017 to ’18.

Edited by LTtxfan

39 minutes ago, satyanash said:

USC's fired their OL and DB coaches as well. They may be cleaning house.

my neighbor is the strengh and conditioning coach, he told me everyone got called in on sunday to a meeting, I did not ask, as it wasnt my business, but his kids and my kids are best buds, i hope they dont have to leave 

Just now, victory88 said:

What decent assistant/coordinator will go to USC knowing Helton seat is blazing hot. The fan base is fucking flying banners to have him fired.  

If they had a president, he could hop on a plane with Lynn and fly to USF

33 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sterlin Gilbert will probably be available this year! No need to even fly to Tulsa.

It's funny. Two schools, USC and Michigan, that are both known for stereotypically only hiring former alums, are also two of the last blue-bloods that have yet to truly embrace the spread offense. I wonder when they'll decide to join us in the 21st century.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

It's funny. Two schools, USC and Michigan, that are both known for stereotypically only hiring former alums, are also two of the last blue-bloods that have yet to truly embrace the spread offense. I wonder when they'll decide to join us in the 21st century. 

Is that when you go back and sabotage all your grades so you un-graduate?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1