Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

32 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Mr. Shackelford  is that you? 

Just kidding, Shack has played better this season. 

Regarding next season, the only possible upgrade at center on the roster is Kersetter and he could be needed at RT. 

I wouldn't sleep on Angilau at RT. Per reports, he's been practicing there. I imagine we'll read/hear more about this during bowl practices.

Is Grandy done with football or just out for 2018? I've seen it reported both ways.  Grandy is done per his own Twitter page. 

I think if Shack stays healthy, keeps working on his body this offseason and has the same type of progression he had this year he will go from serviceable to pretty good next year. That leaves Kersetter to take the RT or RG spot. 

I’m pulling for one of Okafor or Imade to take over at LG. A grad transfer would obviously be nice but we have the horses to have a good line next year. 

Just now, Newy25 said:

I think if Shack stays healthy, keeps working on his body this offseason and has the same type of progression he had this year he will go from serviceable to pretty good next year. That leaves Kersetter to take the RT or RG spot. 

I’m pulling for one of Okafor or Imade to take over at LG. A grad transfer would obviously be nice but we have the horses to have a good line next year. 

Okafor is the new Kirk Johnson. I wouldn't expect much from him. 

I like Imade a lot at LG. I'm not sure why he's not playing. I guess Hand likes to keep his rotation small. 

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Okafor is the new Kirk Johnson. I wouldn't expect much from him. 

I like Imade a lot at LG. I'm not sure why he's not playing. I guess Hand likes to keep his rotation small. 

I mean, he's just redshirting for a year. More of a Burt/Chisholm "you'll be a lot more valuable for us next year" kind of thing where he should come back better, not degraded from repeated injuries like Kirko.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I mean, he's just redshirting for a year. More of a Burt/Chisholm "you'll be a lot more valuable for us next year" kind of thing where he should come back better, not degraded from repeated injuries like Kirko.

I was thinking of Hudson for some reason. My apologies, I was watching the Texans game and typing at the same time. 

I guess I'm semi-bullish on Okafor. I'm not sure why Hand was playing him so much in Fall Camp. I guess Hand knew what he had in Anderson and wanted to give Okafor a long look before redshirting. 

I really like the idea of redshirting upperclassmen when they're not going to play. Good way to manufacture depth. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I don't see Chisholm doing much. I guess Herman figured he'll only be on the roster another year, and Texas will be so young at DL in 2019 that it was worth the risk. It's a great deal for Chisholm. Not many people have the opportunity to go from Oklahoma JUCO to University of Texas graduate student on a full ride. 

Redshirting Burt was another Herman gets it moment for me. I think his floor in 2019 is contributor, and his ceiling, as it has always been with dependable hands, is All Big 12. Hands can improve, see Will Fuller. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't see Chisholm doing much. I guess Herman figured he'll only be on the roster another year, and Texas will be so young at DL in 2019 that it was worth the risk. It's a great deal for Chisholm. Not many people have the opportunity to go from Oklahoma JUCO to University of Texas graduate student on a full ride. 

Redshirting Burt was another Herman gets it moment for me. I think his floor in 2019 is contributor, and his ceiling, as it has always been with dependable hands, is All Big 12. Hands can improve, see Will Fuller. 

This page has been a rough run for you. Maybe sit the next few out and try again in a bit?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, utfan87 said:

Ej has a mccoy update 

Spoiler

— What’s the latest on Bru McCoy? Here is everything I know. USC made an in-home visit with McCoy and his family on Sunday night. Things went well for the Trojans, and they will host him for an official visit this coming weekend. This is obviously a huge opportunity for USC to reestablish momentum in this recruitment as Texas has been building it since hosting him back in September.

— Texas will counter USC by making an in-home visit with the McCoy family as soon as they get back from their official visit. According to McCoy’s mother, the Texas in-home visit will occur on Dec. 3 or Dec. 4. Sources on the Texas side have told me that they are still working on their road schedule for next week, but it should happen early that week. Texas is going to do everything it can to win over McCoy and his parents when they do make the trip to Los Angeles.

— While the McCoy family would love to make another visit to Austin, the weeks are fading away and the price of airline tickets is only going up. Even if they don’t make it, we are still feeling cautiously optimistic about where Texas stands. There hasn’t been a loss of confidence in Austin, and the McCoy family is very excited about the stability on the Forty Acres and how UT has performed this year. In fact, McCoy’s mother told me they are looking forward to waking up and catching the Big 12 title game on TV.

— USC has retained head coach Clay Helton, but that’s not necessarily a positive for the Trojans in the race for McCoy. There are still plenty of question marks surrounding the USC program, and Helton isn’t a lock to be there long-term. If McCoy picks USC, it will be based off of his love for the university and wanting to be closer to home. McCoy is supposed to make his decision during the early period but might move a public announcement back to Jan. 5 -- the day of the All-American Bowl.

— The De’Gabriel Floyd factor is real. Floyd has been constantly in the ear of McCoy, especially over the last several weeks. In fact, Floyd’s family has joined in and recently had a good conversation with the McCoy family. Floyd has set the example that you can be a top recruit in California and spurn the major schools out West. He is playing a big role in this recruitment.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Question. If we could get one recruit that we don't have, who would it be?

if Leal projects as 4i, he has to be the answer to this, right? (don't know if he does anymore?)

in reality, maybe the answer is Bragg or NaNa (is he a 4i?)? 

side note, but man the Texas state top 10 is pretty DB and WR heavy this year

WR at 2 (Wilson), 3 (Wease), 6 (Whittington), 8(Bridges)

S at 5 (Williams), 9 (Cine), 10 (Richardson)

14 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Some reports leaking out that Auburn powerbrokers are looking to buy out Malzahn and hire Stoops with a "Jimbo Fisher"-type offer.

http://footballscoop.com/news/report-gus-malzahn-not-safe-auburn/

The aggies worst nightmare. Just when they think Saban is about to go and open a door for them, Auburn brings in someone else that will dominate their overrated coach in recruiting and on the field.

3 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

The aggies worst nightmare. Just when they think Saban is about to go and open a door for them, Auburn brings in someone else that will dominate their overrated coach in recruiting and on the field.

Eh, Malzahn's pretty good. Auburn backers just have a skewed idea of how many years in a decade they should realistically be competitive.

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Eh, Malzahn's pretty good. Auburn backers just have a skewed idea of how many years in a decade they should realistically be competitive.

Right. It's the same old story,  who you gonna get?

The thing I don't get about Auburn this year,  Is Stidham overrated or is he in the wrong system. 

I was fooled this year,  I thought they would be real good. 

Shack has been good this year despite the occasional penalty.  If Texas was healthy when he was recruited this year may have been his first year starting and suddenly he doesn't have all this baggage with him.  

I think the ability to RS OL and DL is one of the things I'm most excited about with this program.

I'm not sure Angilau is an OT.  I think he's more of an OG.  Of course nobody has seen him for a year so maybe Yancey has turned him into Larry Allen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

Didn’t one of the OU WRs decommit?  Would he be an option to replace Houston?  

No. Because the guy who left is an overrated clown with the emotional maturity of a 17 year old Cole Fisher. He sucks, and he's a headcase, and we refused to take his commitment the last time he was on campus because Shitty Player. 

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No. Because the guy who left is an overrated clown with the emotional maturity of a 17 year old Cole Fisher. He sucks, and he's a headcase, and we refused to take his commitment the last time he was on campus because Shitty Player. 

Can you give us your view of him with a little emotion, please?

I was just looking at the player rankings for the state of California to find out where De'Gabriel Floyd is ranked within the state (11 for those interested).  I was shocked to see that USC currently only has two of the top 20 players in California committed to them. Oregon has five, and is likely to land the state's top player Kayvon Thibodeaux.  USC has the 29th ranked class in the country. Their highest rated player is 120 in the composite. It's conceivable that USC only manages to land 4 of the top 20 players in the State of California this year if Bru chooses Texas, assuming Sean Rhyan and Kyle Ford choose USC. If some truly freaky shit goes down, they may only land those two players who are already committed. They've got a real fucking dumpster fire going on over there. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I was just looking at the player rankings for the state of California to find out where De'Gabriel Floyd is ranked within the state (11 for those interested).  I was shocked to see that USC currently only has two of the top 20 players in California committed to them. Oregon has five, and is likely to land the state's top player Kayvon Thibodeaux.  USC has the 29th ranked class in the country. Their highest rated player is 120 in the composite. It's conceivable that USC only manages to land 4 of the top 20 players in the State of California this year if Bru chooses Texas, assuming Sean Rhyan and Kyle Ford choose USC. If some truly freaky shit goes down, they may only land those two players who are already committed. They've got a real fucking dumpster fire going on over there. 

Lynn Swann has a plann

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/11/open-post-tuesday-november-27th/

Finishing the 2019 Offensive Class
– Super K

Quarterback

Texas was done when they received a commitment from their top target, Roschon Johnson. However, 2019 ATH commit, Peyton Powell says Texas is telling him they will give him a look at quarterback.

Either way, Texas is done in 2019 at the quarterback position.

Tight End

With two tight ends in Jared Wiley (Temple) and Brayden Liebrock (Chandler, AZ) the Horns are done at this position, as well.

Wide Recievers

Horns currently have four wide receivers committed which include the following: Jordan Whittington, Jake Smith, Marcus Washington and Demariyon Houston. You could possibly throw Peyton Powell in the mix here as well. He’s likely to end up on the defensive side but he was technically originally offered by coach Mehringer as a wide receiver.

Remaining targets…

Elijah Higgins – Nothing has changed on this front. Continue to hear that if he gets into Stanford he’s Stanford bound. Not sure what the normal timeline is for word on acceptance but it does seem to be taking quite some time. I will say that I’m told Higgins is a stellar student. So, if he didn’t get in to Stanford it would be a surprise to many.

Kennedy Lewis – Lewis visited Texas a couple times this season and actually announced a commitment date. It’s our understanding he was planning on committing to Texas. However, Texas was not in a position to take said commitment due to the commitment of Marcus Washington and the out standing commitments of earlier offers like Higgins and McCoy.

Should Texas miss out on McCoy and Higgins I would imagine they might consider taking another look at Lewis. After all, he is a big wide receiver with excellent measurables. Texas has had so much success with LJ Humphrey and Collin that you would think they’d want at least one big athletic wide receiver in this class.

Dylan Wright – That takes us to Dylan Wright. It’s a long shot but as I’ve said for a while, Wright’s family grew up Texas fans and the Horns are headed to the Big 12 championship while Texas A&M almost beat Clemson.

I don’t know how likely it is but last I checked Texas was still working on getting Wright back on campus before he signs.

Bru McCoy – I know McCoy is the one everyone is hoping for. This week, I checked with a source very close to the family and I still believe USC holds a slight lead and that the McCoy’s were waiting to see what happened to USC and Clay Helton and now that it has been announced he will be returning, that answers a huge question for the McCoy’s.

Offensive Line

Horns currently have two offensive linemen committed in Tyler Johnson and Javonne Shepherd. Johnson has remained solid and while Shepherd continues to flirt with Texas A&M, they are tight on numbers. I think ultimately Javonne stays put.

Two remaining high school targets appear to be…

Isaiah Hookin – Hookfin recently visited Texas for an unofficial visit and has yet to take any additional visits. He took an official visit to Illinois before his Texas trip. He then cancelled a scheduled Arizona State official visit. He tells me he has yet to schedule any additional visits.

This one is trending hard towards Texas.

Andrew Coker – The TCU commit has said he would definitely make it back on campus but has yet to make it. He was supposed to visit for the WVU game and didn’t make it. Then, he was supposed to make it for the Iowa State game and didn’t make it.

Texas will have a big recruiting weekend on December 14th. Perhaps they’ll push to have him on an official visit then.

JUCO Targets – I’ll need to revisit these.

Running Backs

Derrian Brown is in the boat. Trey Sanders is still a priority but I still think Alabama is a tough one to beat here. Once I spoke to him in person and asked him how many times he’d visited Alabama and he said, “more times than I can count”, it just felt like there is so much familiarity there. That is hard to overcome. I’m not saying it isn’t possible but I’d put Bama down as the leader.

Noah Cain – he appears Texas bound. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t end up choosing the Longhorns now that LSU appears to be off the table. The only thing that may shake that up is if Tyrion Davis were to flip to Oklahoma. I don’t know if Cain would want to enter a class with John Emery but if Davis left the class then I’d imagine they’d push for Cain to fill that spot.

Rhamondre Stevenson – Texas recently offered jumbo JUCO running back, Rhamondre Stevenson. He will give the Longhorns a look as Texas has been recruiting him for a while.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Noah Cain – he appears Texas bound. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t end up choosing the Longhorns now that LSU appears to be off the table. The only thing that may shake that up is if Tyrion Davis were to flip to Oklahoma. I don’t know if Cain would want to enter a class with John Emery but if Davis left the class then I’d imagine they’d push for Cain to fill that spot.

No mention of Georgia as a threat?

• Like 1

TFB on Cain today:

Next is Cain’s high school teammate in Noah Cain, who is originally from Baton Rouge Louisiana but lived in Texas for years following Hurricane Katrina. It seemed like LSU was the favorite for Cain for some time until the Tigers flipped 5-star running back John Emery Jr from Georgia. That move seemed to put Texas in the pole position for Cain. The one thing that keeps coming up with Texas and Cain is that it seems to be the “most logical decision for him”. Penn State, Ohio State, and Auburn looked like the other challengers for Texas, but another school has jumped in the race and they have a pretty good track record with running backs. Cain took an official visit to Georgia over the weekend. No school has a better track record with using two backs like Georgia. With Nick Chubb and Sony Michel and now D’Andre Swift and Elijah Holyfield, who are both approaching 1,000 rushing yards each for 2018. They could be Texas’ biggest challenger for Cain moving forward.