Texas recruiting notes 2019

It will be interesting to see how hard Georgia pushes for Cain. They landed their top RB priority out of FL already, so Cain may be a luxury type pickup.  For us, he's  a huge need.  We have dog shit behind Ingram and Ingram ain't exactly been healthy this year.  

59 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I love how genuine Beaty is. Every time I hear an interview he really gets emotional when talking about his players. He might suck as a head coach but he's a good dude and players appear to care a lot for him. 

I want him around.

I hope he's home sick after being in that shithole for a few years and decides to accept a 3 yr gig on herman's staff.

Cain knows he's not going to beat out Emory or Sanders.  Bama wasn't pushing for him with Sanders looking likely.  He also wasn't considering UGA seriously and had LSU on top before Emory flipped.  Now he's practically eliminated LSU.  He's basically playing musical chairs with schools depending on who is committed to them.  I've always got the sense that Texas was his fall back option if those schools filled up.  Let's hope UGA pushes for DJ Williams instead.  

On a side note,  DJ Williams has gotten offers from UGA, Tenn, Auburn, Miami, and Texas recently.  FSU is also looking at him.  Was he considered a qualification risk?  His tape is damn good running the ball at the QB position.  The guy had no power 5 offers to a bunch of big name power 5 schools offering.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Cain knows he's not going to beat out Emory or Sanders.  Bama wasn't pushing for him with Sanders looking likely.  He also wasn't considering UGA seriously and had LSU on top before Emory flipped.  Now he's practically eliminated LSU.  He's basically playing musical chairs with schools depending on who is committed to them.  I've always got the sense that Texas was his fall back option if those schools filled up.  Let's hope UGA pushes for DJ Williams instead.  

On a side note,  DJ Williams has gotten offers from UGA, Tenn, Auburn, Miami, and Texas recently.  FSU is also looking at him.  Was he considered a qualification risk?  His tape is damn good running the ball at the QB position.  The guy had no power 5 offers to a bunch of big name power 5 schools offering.  

Yep, Williams recently got his grades up. 

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

Four-star running back Noah Cain (Denton, Texas/IMG Academy) told Dawgs247 two weeks ago that this weekend's official visit would be a pivotal one for Georgia. On Sunday, Cain, the nation's No. 7 tailback per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, made it clear this trip had a major impact. "Coming into it, I did not know what to expect, because they already took a back," Cain said. "But I loved the visit, honestly, and I see a need for my ability and my standpoint of what I can bring to the table. I do not shy away from competition and I do not care who else is committed."

Cain says Georgia could not have done any better in laying out his potential fit with the Bulldogs. "I think that role is a 10 out of 10 for me," Cain said. "It is about staying healthy during my freshman and sophomore campaign and make my case being a top back going into the draft. I can be productive in my first year as Swift was. When they showed my role, how it would use my versatility, having playing time while keeping my body healthy, that really blew me away."

The 5-foot-10, 212-pound tailback says Georgia likened his skill set to that of one of the most productive tailbacks in program history. "They compared me to Nick Chubb as far as my running style downhill and between the tackles," Cain said. "They said I can catch, run, and block. The fact is I would be able to enroll early and compete for that D'Andre Swift role that he had his freshman year when he was behind Sony and Nick. So when I got to see my purpose for my freshman year it opened my eyes. I m not coming in to sit behind anybody, so when they showed me that, I was very impressed. Plus that offensive line is really good as well."

Some felt Georgia might be done at running back when four-star Kenny McIntosh (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./University) jumped on board. But feedback from Cain makes it apparent the Bulldogs are preparing for potential attrition on the roster soon. "They told me they would like to keep six backs," Cain said. "But Holyfield might be going to the league. Of course Swift will be back. Zamir is coming back from injury. James is a lighter back. And then Brian Herrien is more of a question mark by his name. They told me two dudes at the most would be leaving."

Cain was there to see Georgia take down Georgia Tech 45-21, but said his time with the coaching staff in Athens, Ga. stood out. "My favorite part of the visit was spending time talking to Coach Chaney, Coach McGee, Coach Pittman, and Coach Smart," Cain said. "I spent a lot of time talking with Coach Chaney, just talking about my value, what I can bring to the table, how fresh I am coming from IMG splitting the load with Trey Sanders, and how coming in early and healthy has raised my stock."

"Coach Chaney is very personable and he was all business, talking about my measurables, telling me what I need to work on to get to the league, and how their system and development can help me reach my goals. Coach McGee was the first coach to work me out, ever since my freshman year we have only had love and honesty.  Coach Pittman is one of the goofiest, serious people I have ever met. His offensive linemen love him and I got to have dinner at his house with his family. Jamaree Salyer said if I like to run hard, come run behind them."

While in Athens, Cain hung out with a pair of players as well.

"I spent time with JR Reed, a close friend from back in Texas, and Zamir White," Cain said. "We became really good friends. He talked about how they treated him since his injury, kept trying to get him back and stay contact, because every school does not do that. Honestly, he is focused on getting healthy and taking it one step at a time. He says he is just blessed to have the chance to rehab and return to his regular way."

Before the official visit, Texas and Penn State were the main competition, with many pegging the Longhorns as the team to beat. "Coming in, Georgia was third," Cain said. "After this weekend, Georgia has made a case and they are pushing for that lead spot. Everything is officially even now. Just that plan they have for me, the offensive line I would be able to run behind, that sits really well with me. Texas and Penn State are tied right there." Cain says the other two programs can dangle the carrot of considerable playing time in year one, but that the Bulldogs have an edge of their own.

"What gives Georgia an advantage with me is just having that Swift role that he had his first year," Cain said. "Being able to showcase my ability while staying healthy and then earning a larger role over the next two years. Those other schools do not have the caliber of backs that Georgia has, so their pitch is for me to come in and have a larger role immediately, but at the same time, it is about the offensive line play as well. I think Georgia has the best offensive line in the country, from what I have seen. That really is a big plus with me and Georgia."

Year two could provide Cain not only increased carries, but also a uniform change as he feels another back will depart after the 2019 season. "I think D'Andre Swift is the full package and a great player to learn from," Cain said. "He wears No. 7 so I would have to wait a year to get my number back, but somebody of that caliber, I would not mind waiting a year to get it because he is a dog to me. He is going to be a top 10 pick and probably the best back coming out next year."

Look for Cain to announce his commitment on Dec. 19 and enroll early at the program of his choice.

1 hour ago, Radical Larry said:

Just to be on the safe side, I think everyone should panic. 

2a6w8qr.jpg

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The improvement that Herb Hand has made in one year and the multiple highly rated recruits we've brought in.

we still don't run block very well. How many starters are we replacing and how much playing time have those replacements got? It just seems like we're selling a lot of hope to a top running back.

Just now, hookem48 said:

we still don't run block very well. How many starters are we replacing and how much playing time have those replacements got? It just seems like we're selling a lot of hope to a top running back.

I'm aware, that's part of why it's still tough for us to recruit against the likes of Georgia for running backs.

The O-line was always going to be a multi-year rebuild.

4 hours ago, hookem48 said:

God damn it’s like you want to make a case on the Internet for why the guy shouldn’t pick Texas. 

Our OL is on the way up.  It has improved significantly in the very short time coach Hand has been in charge of it.  It was a fucking train wreck and the reason our team has been dog shit for a decade. Hand gets here and that same year we’re playing for the conference title.  It’s not a coincidence. 

Edited by GotThatFire
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

Four-star running back Noah Cain (Denton, Texas/IMG Academy) told Dawgs247 two weeks ago that this weekend's official visit would be a pivotal one for Georgia. On Sunday, Cain, the nation's No. 7 tailback per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, made it clear this trip had a major impact. "Coming into it, I did not know what to expect, because they already took a back," Cain said. "But I loved the visit, honestly, and I see a need for my ability and my standpoint of what I can bring to the table. I do not shy away from competition and I do not care who else is committed."

Cain says Georgia could not have done any better in laying out his potential fit with the Bulldogs. "I think that role is a 10 out of 10 for me," Cain said. "It is about staying healthy during my freshman and sophomore campaign and make my case being a top back going into the draft. I can be productive in my first year as Swift was. When they showed my role, how it would use my versatility, having playing time while keeping my body healthy, that really blew me away."

The 5-foot-10, 212-pound tailback says Georgia likened his skill set to that of one of the most productive tailbacks in program history. "They compared me to Nick Chubb as far as my running style downhill and between the tackles," Cain said. "They said I can catch, run, and block. The fact is I would be able to enroll early and compete for that D'Andre Swift role that he had his freshman year when he was behind Sony and Nick. So when I got to see my purpose for my freshman year it opened my eyes. I m not coming in to sit behind anybody, so when they showed me that, I was very impressed. Plus that offensive line is really good as well."

Some felt Georgia might be done at running back when four-star Kenny McIntosh (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./University) jumped on board. But feedback from Cain makes it apparent the Bulldogs are preparing for potential attrition on the roster soon. "They told me they would like to keep six backs," Cain said. "But Holyfield might be going to the league. Of course Swift will be back. Zamir is coming back from injury. James is a lighter back. And then Brian Herrien is more of a question mark by his name. They told me two dudes at the most would be leaving."

Cain was there to see Georgia take down Georgia Tech 45-21, but said his time with the coaching staff in Athens, Ga. stood out. "My favorite part of the visit was spending time talking to Coach Chaney, Coach McGee, Coach Pittman, and Coach Smart," Cain said. "I spent a lot of time talking with Coach Chaney, just talking about my value, what I can bring to the table, how fresh I am coming from IMG splitting the load with Trey Sanders, and how coming in early and healthy has raised my stock."

"Coach Chaney is very personable and he was all business, talking about my measurables, telling me what I need to work on to get to the league, and how their system and development can help me reach my goals. Coach McGee was the first coach to work me out, ever since my freshman year we have only had love and honesty.  Coach Pittman is one of the goofiest, serious people I have ever met. His offensive linemen love him and I got to have dinner at his house with his family. Jamaree Salyer said if I like to run hard, come run behind them."

While in Athens, Cain hung out with a pair of players as well.

"I spent time with JR Reed, a close friend from back in Texas, and Zamir White," Cain said. "We became really good friends. He talked about how they treated him since his injury, kept trying to get him back and stay contact, because every school does not do that. Honestly, he is focused on getting healthy and taking it one step at a time. He says he is just blessed to have the chance to rehab and return to his regular way."

Before the official visit, Texas and Penn State were the main competition, with many pegging the Longhorns as the team to beat. "Coming in, Georgia was third," Cain said. "After this weekend, Georgia has made a case and they are pushing for that lead spot. Everything is officially even now. Just that plan they have for me, the offensive line I would be able to run behind, that sits really well with me. Texas and Penn State are tied right there." Cain says the other two programs can dangle the carrot of considerable playing time in year one, but that the Bulldogs have an edge of their own.

"What gives Georgia an advantage with me is just having that Swift role that he had his first year," Cain said. "Being able to showcase my ability while staying healthy and then earning a larger role over the next two years. Those other schools do not have the caliber of backs that Georgia has, so their pitch is for me to come in and have a larger role immediately, but at the same time, it is about the offensive line play as well. I think Georgia has the best offensive line in the country, from what I have seen. That really is a big plus with me and Georgia."

Year two could provide Cain not only increased carries, but also a uniform change as he feels another back will depart after the 2019 season. "I think D'Andre Swift is the full package and a great player to learn from," Cain said. "He wears No. 7 so I would have to wait a year to get my number back, but somebody of that caliber, I would not mind waiting a year to get it because he is a dog to me. He is going to be a top 10 pick and probably the best back coming out next year."

Look for Cain to announce his commitment on Dec. 19 and enroll early at the program of his choice.

for what it is worth, here are the other RBs on the roster for UGA and Texas per 247

UGA:

Spoiler

y50uKJ.png

Texas:

Spoiler

xpwtYC.png

Using IT's Redshirt Tracker, updated through ISU - thanks Joe! - looks like Carter is going to end up with a Redshirt (and probably a transfer), as well as Kyle Porter (played first 4 games, then DNPs since)

3 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

God damn it’s like you want to make a case on the Internet for why the guy shouldn’t pick Texas. 

Our OL is on the way up.  It has improved significantly in the very short time coach Hand has been in charge of it.  It was a fucking train wreck and the reason our team has been dog shit for a decade. Hand gets here and that same year we’re playing for the conference title.  It’s not a coincidence. 

Should I have mailed a letter? You act like recruits give 2 shits what hookem48 posts on message board, if they do they need to go do something besides be in the public eye. We are discussing recruiting, not having a circle jerk, cheerleading session. 

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Using IT's Redshirt Tracker, updated through ISU - thanks Joe! - looks like Carter is going to end up with a Redshirt (and probably a transfer), as well as Kyle Porter (played first 4 games, then DNPs since)

It's basically Ingram and Young next year, with I guess Kirk Johnson hanging around waiting to get injured, which is why we really need a RB who can contribute next year, like the early enrolling Cain. Cain would likely split backup carries with Young, and all three could contribute with the first team, with Kirk Johnson and Derrian Brown being "depth"

Same reason we did.  The rich guys all know the coach and AD personally.
Actually, no, that has zero to reason why a collection was taken up you clown. Like even remotely. Im hoping your comment was a joke or some sarcasm that completely went over my head. 
It wasn’t.  So I must be lost.  Feel free to set the record straight.
Pay SydneyCarton no mind, he's still upset that he got scolded for trying to pick up a live ball in the Holiday Bowl a while back.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, hookem48 said:

As no one ever knows exactly what will happen with injuries, illnesses, grades or whatnot, hope is all any college sports recruiter is actually ever selling any player at any position.  

30 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

I wonder whose spot Beaty takes. Warehime or Beck I think. Has eithers name been brought up for recruiting someone specifically?

Makes sense if Tom has been calling the plays if it is beck.

Don't believe Beck is going anywhere.  Beck is a part of our success recruiting in Arizona - and I'd prefer we didn't fire the guy coaching Sam Ehlinger.

Have to believe that if anyone is fired/not re-signed thats Warehime.

Let Warehime walk, move Meekins back to TE, and hire Beaty as WR coach. 

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
one t
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

I wonder whose spot Beaty takes. Warehime or Beck I think. Has eithers name been brought up for recruiting someone specifically?

I don't see Beck leaving, unless he is actually disgruntled that he isn't calling plays, which is a possibility. He's shown some decent chops as a WR coach in the past and he is a plus recruiter. I'd see him sliding down, honestly. I don't think he's going to find a job paying him 900k elsewhere. 

Honestly, I have no clue how staff changes are going to shake out whatsoever. Too many moving parts. Is Herman feeling vindicated with all his decisions? I know we need another rainmaker on the DL for recruiting, at the very least. How we get there and how we'd add Beatty to the staff, I have no fucking clue how it shakes out. And honestly, at this point, other people have pointed out to me that Meekins might not be above upgrading as well. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Don't believe Beck is going anywhere.  Beck is a part of our success recruiting in Arizona - and I'd prefer we didn't fire the guy coaching Sam Ehlinger.

Have to believe that if anyone is fired/not re-signed thats Warehime.

Let Warehime walk, move Meekins back to TE, and hire Beatty as WR coach. 

I think Meekins or Mehringer are the most likely to move on with perceived promotions. Most likely one leaves and is replaced by a defensive position coach, with the second most likely scenario being both leave and one is replaced with a new WR coach. These are just educated guesses. 

Edited by Fud

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

From that interview, Cain seems more interested in saving his body for the league than coming in and kicking ass. At least that's what it sounds like Georgia is selling him. It's the first time I think I've ever seen a log jam at a position being sold as a positive to a recruit. 

Another Chris Warren?

13 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

From that interview, Cain seems more interested in saving his body for the league than coming in and kicking ass. At least that's what it sounds like Georgia is selling him. It's the first time I think I've ever seen a log jam at a position being sold as a positive to a recruit. 

Johnathan Gray said very similar things when he was a recruit coming in behind Malcolm Brown and Bergeron.

34 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Johnathan Gray said very similar things when he was a recruit coming in behind Malcolm Brown and Bergeron.

And definitely saved his body by going down at every shoe-string swipe hurled at him. Saved himself plenty of wear & tear on the body and also saved himself from the burden of finding out exactly how many mo' problems making mo' money brings you. Competitiveness and hunger will always reign supreme at that position.

1 hour ago, utexas8 said:

Beck is not going anywhere. He's a very good QB coach, and an elite recruiter. You can work with those traits and teach him learn how to be a coordinator.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I think Meekins or Mehringer are the most likely to move on with perceived promotions. Most likely one leaves and is replaced by a defensive position coach, with the second most likely scenario being both leave and one is replaced with a new WR coach. These are just educated guesses. 

I could see Meekins getting a promotion. Is the consensus that he could be an effective OC? I just can't see anyone hiring Meh away for any kind of "promotion" because it is known that he sucks. If we bring on Beaty we better be losing two offensive coaches to make room for another coach/recruiter on Defense because those motherfuckers need some serious help.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

It's basically Ingram and Young next year, with I guess Kirk Johnson hanging around waiting to get injured, which is why we really need a RB who can contribute next year, like the early enrolling Cain. Cain would likely split backup carries with Young, and all three could contribute with the first team, with Kirk Johnson and Derrian Brown being "depth"

For some reason I thought Kirk was graduating, but it seems I’ll have to endure another offseason of fluff pieces about his prowess in the weight room. I also had no idea how badly we needed Cain, holy shit, that depth chart looks shitty. 

1 minute ago, Chrispy said:

For some reason I thought Kirk was graduating, but it seems I’ll have to endure another offseason of fluff pieces about his prowess in the weight room. I also had no idea how badly we needed Cain, holy shit, that depth chart looks shitty. 

yeah kirk is done.