Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Yeah but the main reason people were interested in Deng is Jermaine Johnson

you joking?  I assumed deng was just a big body based on his measurables but his film shows a 6’6” athlete that can hit and cover in space from the LB position.  he’s gonna be a fuckin monster.  

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

you joking?  I assumed deng was just a big body based on his measurables but his film shows a 6’6” athlete that can hit and cover in space from the LB position.  he’s gonna be a fuckin monster.  

Jermaine Johnson is 6'6" 250lbs and runs under a 4.6. He has film that mimics those measurables. Deng is a guy who is tall and athletic but is learning the sport. At a place like UT, he would probably need a redshirt year. He is a good prospect but JJ is the prize. Jermaine Johnson will be in the NFL.

Edited by Bevo

32 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

I can't find it.....the NCAA sure a hell isn't going to do anything about it....I even mentioned that broadcasting the games is not realistic(not because of any "lawsuit" but because of the logistics involved)..but everything short of that should be explored. It is a weapon at our disposal and making other schools comfortable with our use of it is not the primary motivation of our current administrators...I want to believe. 

I question the loyalty of anybody asking UT to cheat, more so when it is so damn open and blatant, this is arguably worse than the fucking animals that uttered "Big Swinging Dicks" 8 years ago.

The NCAA has all the power to destroy any program permanently, and if you think otherwise you are just delusional.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, linux said:

I question the loyalty of anybody asking UT to cheat, more so when it is so damn open and blatant, this is arguably worse than the fucking animals that uttered "Big Swinging Dicks" 8 years ago.

The NCAA has all the power to destroy any program permanently, and if you think otherwise you are just delusional.

I can't wait for the scandal when one of the former little-league players who appeared on LHN chooses Texas in a few years.

4 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I can't wait for the scandal when one of the former little-league players who appeared on LHN chooses Texas in a few years.

.  Since the LHN programming is set by ESPN/Disney, I assumed they could tell the NCAA to pound sand if the network decided to air high school football games.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

13 minutes ago, linux said:

We shouldn’t blatantly cheat like Alabama by cheating test scores and using steroids but should not be scared to limit ourselves on player benefits to the exact rules. Basically to just be on par with every school in the country. 

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

KU signed two 4* Louisiana players last year and has some ties to the state.  Not sure if you should give credit to him or if it was just one of his assistants.

That was Tony Hull, their running backs coach.

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Who is supposed to EE that we could get a commitment from over the next two weeks? 

Noah Cain, Bru McCoy

Haven't found anything about a lawsuit, but the NCAA and Big 12 have both banned the LHN from showing HS games or highlights http://1340thefan.com/texas-longhorn/

At least according to that link. There's a couple others that also mention the NCAA not allowing HS games.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Haven't found anything about a lawsuit, but the NCAA and Big 12 have both banned the LHN from showing HS games or highlights http://1340thefan.com/texas-longhorn/

Assuming 1340thefan is correct, it looks like the NCAA only banned games, while the Big 12 banned games and highlights.

Just now, Thiefery said:

LHN/ESPN should revisit that.  All I'm asking for is a show that covers/follows Hookem Recruits from the end of their HS playing/class days to reporting for camp

If they revisit it, they'll disallow it again. Every other school in the country will throw a bitch fit if we were allowed such a huge advantage. Maybe we could get something on guys that sign with us during their final spring, but I doubt that would happen either. 

that's the entire point.

it hasn't been established that it is "illegal"...we are not using it because we have apologized for it since it began.  We are stuck with it...if there are opportunities to use it to our advantage, every avenue should be explored.  Nobody has "sued" anybody...the NCAA doesn't enforce anything, ever. Ole Miss just walked, for Christ sake.  I am only advocating that we take Saban's lead here and push the limits until we are forced to stop....like he did with the extra coaches. 

worrying about other schools throwing a "bitch fit" more than what is best for that network and our athletic programs has rendered that network toothless...which is exactly what those other schools wanted in the first place 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

At least according to that link. There's a couple others that also mention the NCAA not allowing HS games.

The ncaa and big 12 can’t ban espn/lhn from airing high school games.   They aren’t a court.  They don’t have an army.  They don’t even have a contract with high schools or the UIL to enforce.  

About as much legal impact as Michael Scott yelling “I declare Bankruptcy!”

we should tell espn to tell the ncaa and lhn to fuck off.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

If they revisit it, they'll disallow it again. Every other school in the country will throw a bitch fit if we were allowed such a huge advantage. Maybe we could get something on guys that sign with us during their final spring, but I doubt that would happen either. 

can you explain exactly what legal process the ncaa can use to stop espn from airing high school games?

they wouldn’t even try.  They’d just spend money and get embarrassed.   

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

can you explain exactly what legal process the ncaa can use to stop espn from airing high school games?

they wouldn’t even try.  They’d just spend money and get embarrassed.   

The NCAA could create a new bylaw under this type of example regulation below (this is current stuff) to bar high school athletes from being eligible for NCAA play.  That would shut it down quick although it would be a huge lift to get this passed perhaps.  The Longhorn Network (not the same as ESPN to the NCAA I bet because Fox Sports and other televise high school games) itself would be argued to be too much of an extension of one institution and they might try and create a bylaw to address this type of network specifically versus ESPN which is more of a generalized sports network.

c. Publicity  All Sports.
(1) You are not eligible if, before you enrolled at your institution, your institution
publicized any visit that you made to its campus. [Bylaw 13.10.5]
(2) You are not eligible if, before you enrolled at your institution, you appeared on
a radio or television program that involved a coach or another member of the
staff of the athletics department at your institution. [Bylaw 13.10.3]

7 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

This thread, it's terrible.  

This.

The UIL controls the media rights of all member institutions, so basically every public high school in Texas. I think y'all should direct your frustrations towards the UIL and not the LHN. 

Not to mention is doing ESPN is cost cutting whenever and wherever possible with the LHN. Do y'all really think they're going to spring for more live programming that they don't even own? 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Was it a lawsuit or a threat by the other schools in the Big 12 to leave (LMAO) if they aired HS games?  Most people don't even have LHN or notice it. I too say F it and turn up the high school content.  Even have a camera following Hookem Commits on their transition from high school to reporting for spring,summer, fall camps.
Fuck yes, LHN is a private contract between UT and ESPN, not the conference.
  • Like 1

Some clarification courtesy of the USC 247 site: 

- Helton is scheduled to use his in home visit with Bru tomorrow. 

- Bru's official visit to USC is December 1st. 

- USC has "hinted" at a succession plan in discussions with Bru ( I guess Lynn Swann is recruiting now?)

- Bru said he wants to commit to a school not a coach, but he conceded firing Helton would hurt USC's chances because the two are close. 

I'm crossing off Bru.

USC mod on Bru McCoy

USC set for in-home visit with 5-star target on Sunday
VIP ByCHRIS TREVINO 2 hours ago
1 Comments

For the second consecutive season the Mater Dei Monarchs proved themselves the kings of Southern California football, knocking off No. 1 St. John Bosco in the Division 1 CIF championship 17-13 at Cerritos College on Friday night. And senior athlete Bru McCoy solidified himself as the best player in California. 

"This brings out so much emotion, having put in the work I have for years, I mean I get up at 5:15 a.m. I get home at 9 p.m," said McCoy. "I work my butt off, I've done it for four years and this how I get to go out so I couldn't be happier." 

McCoy still has one more game in his high school career with the upcoming state championship (two if you count the All-American Bowl), but his time to pick a school is coming up just as quickly. USC has been the favorite for the five-star athlete for some time, but McCoy admits he's taken a step back in recruiting during the playoffs and that applies to the Trojans. 

"With everything going on with SC, I've kinda taken a back seat, let them figure out their things," said McCoy. "I still keep my relationships, still stay in communication as best as possible. You know my mind isn't really in the place to think about what college I'm going to right now, but things are fine I'm not really worried about what's going on that happens all the time. It's college football it's a business." 

The "business" line has been common among USC targets when the topic of Clay Helton's job comes up. McCoy expanded more on that idea when asked if a coaching change would changes things for him at all. 

"I look it at like you choose a school, you don't choose a coach. Because I mean you never know what could happen, especially when you are there. I mean just as easy I could go to any school in the country and the coach gets fired," he said. "So does it affect me? Yes, but not in the way people might assume." 

McCoy, who will take his official visit to USC on Dec. 1, was also asked if the staff has communicated with him about the elephant in the room that is the possible change. 

"Not openly, they have kind of hinted at me kind of what their future looks like, just as a courtesy," said McCoy. "As a potential commit, you gotta kinda keep them a little updated and they kinda give me some insights into how things are going. I mean not much has changed." 

While it wouldn't affect McCoy much, if Helton were fired he admits it would hurt as the two have a strong relationship. 

"I mean it would hurt, but like I said you commit to a school you don't really commit to a coach," said McCoy. "That is the mindset I have." 

Sunday is the first day schools can start making in-home visits and USC is wasting little time, scheduled to sit down with McCoy and his family on Sunday night. McCoy said he isn't looking for much in terms of what USC needs to tell him. 

"Honestly not much, it's just cool to be able to experience that and have them at your house. It's different," he said. "Like I always think of (the movie) Blindside, you know when they had all the coaches coming through. Now I'm getting this experience...it's like the SC coach is in my living room. That's cool." 

McCoy wasn't entirely sure who would be coming from USC. 

"I'd image Helton and either Bryan Ellis or Tee Martin," he said.

Edited by cdain3

2 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

I'm crossing off Bru.

Hide contents

USC mod on Bru McCoy

USC set for in-home visit with 5-star target on Sunday
VIP ByCHRIS TREVINO 2 hours ago
1 Comments

For the second consecutive season the Mater Dei Monarchs proved themselves the kings of Southern California football, knocking off No. 1 St. John Bosco in the Division 1 CIF championship 17-13 at Cerritos College on Friday night. And senior athlete Bru McCoy solidified himself as the best player in California. 

"This brings out so much emotion, having put in the work I have for years, I mean I get up at 5:15 a.m. I get home at 9 p.m," said McCoy. "I work my butt off, I've done it for four years and this how I get to go out so I couldn't be happier." 

McCoy still has one more game in his high school career with the upcoming state championship (two if you count the All-American Bowl), but his time to pick a school is coming up just as quickly. USC has been the favorite for the five-star athlete for some time, but McCoy admits he's taken a step back in recruiting during the playoffs and that applies to the Trojans. 

"With everything going on with SC, I've kinda taken a back seat, let them figure out their things," said McCoy. "I still keep my relationships, still stay in communication as best as possible. You know my mind isn't really in the place to think about what college I'm going to right now, but things are fine I'm not really worried about what's going on that happens all the time. It's college football it's a business." 

The "business" line has been common among USC targets when the topic of Clay Helton's job comes up. McCoy expanded more on that idea when asked if a coaching change would changes things for him at all. 

"I look it at like you choose a school, you don't choose a coach. Because I mean you never know what could happen, especially when you are there. I mean just as easy I could go to any school in the country and the coach gets fired," he said. "So does it affect me? Yes, but not in the way people might assume." 

McCoy, who will take his official visit to USC on Dec. 1, was also asked if the staff has communicated with him about the elephant in the room that is the possible change. 

"Not openly, they have kind of hinted at me kind of what their future looks like, just as a courtesy," said McCoy. "As a potential commit, you gotta kinda keep them a little updated and they kinda give me some insights into how things are going. I mean not much has changed." 

While it wouldn't affect McCoy much, if Helton were fired he admits it would hurt as the two have a strong relationship. 

"I mean it would hurt, but like I said you commit to a school you don't really commit to a coach," said McCoy. "That is the mindset I have." 

Sunday is the first day schools can start making in-home visits and USC is wasting little time, scheduled to sit down with McCoy and his family on Sunday night. McCoy said he isn't looking for much in terms of what USC needs to tell him. 

"Honestly not much, it's just cool to be able to experience that and have them at your house. It's different," he said. "Like I always think of (the movie) Blindside, you know when they had all the coaches coming through. Now I'm getting this experience...it's like the SC coach is in my living room. That's cool." 

McCoy wasn't entirely sure who would be coming from USC. 

"I'd image Helton and either Bryan Ellis or Tee Martin," he said.

I'd say consider the source, but it reads a lot like Bru justifying USC being terrible. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Not that we're getting him, but do you really expect a kid as polished as him to say "boy oh boy this team is total ass, I'm never coming here."

Bru is probably going to end up at USC but he also has a bunch of close friends that play at USC. 

He's not going to say USC looks like shit when all his friends play there. 

Edited by texasstrong12

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Disney shows high school games on various espn channels all the time.  Why would lhn be any different?  Not sure if they show any on sec network. 

ESPN isnt associated with a school (save the Bama jokes).

LHN is. SECN, not sure there, might be a bias toward 14 teams the NCAA doesn’t want to be above the table. If they could do it, you know they’d do it

I already know the answer, but any snowballs chance in hell we still talk to Bragg?

UCLA just took the lead on Stanford in the 4th. They face Cal next weekend to make up for a postponed game. If they go 6-6 on the regular season, maybe Bragg listens to Hand? I know it’s a pipe dream but I’m holding on.