Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

My views on DT aren’t totally aligned with others on the recruiting board and that’s okay. 

I’m not particularly worried about DT depth, given that I think Sweat adds to the roster there. That gives us what, 4 NT types before anything in the grad transfer arena? Fine, I guess, but we need a high hit rate on the guys taken. Wilbon can play, but he’s not a difference maker. Can anyone else be? No one has a clue but the staff likes what they have. 

My biggest concern is that we’re creating a Todd Orlando dependent roster. If that guy leaves, for whatever reason, and the next guy wants to base out of a 4-3, we’re going to have depth issues on an otherwise deep roster. That will suck. Frankly, Orlando needs to be using way more four man fronts than he has (up to the ISU game) and even for him I do have some depth concern. 

Regardless of how anyone here feels, I think we can all agree that we’re not landing the guys that are helping Bama and Clemson win titles right now. We’re not getting the frequency that Bama’s getting, either. People can say “no shit, but who is?”. My response is simply “That’s the bar”, not that it is reasonable, because it isn’t. So I sure as hell hope that the program is capable of creating war daddies in the trenches, particularly at NT and 4i. 

I will be surprised if Herman doesn’t balance out the coaching staff with another DL coach this offseason. I expect that guy to be a rainmaker. No clue who leaves from the offensive side to make that happen, but I do expect turnover. Adding a DL coach who actually knows how to evaluate and also happens to thrive on recruiting would be a boon. 

I think we’re fine at DT right now. Maybe it was you that said it, but I heard somewhere that they’re pleased early on with Coburn and Ojomo. Looks like we may have gotten a little lucky last year with the Meekins connection and the late riser. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

My views on DT aren’t totally aligned with others on the recruiting board and that’s okay. 

I’m not particularly worried about DT depth, given that I think Sweat adds to the roster there. That gives us what, 4 NT types before anything in the grad transfer arena? Fine, I guess, but we need a high hit rate on the guys taken. Wilbon can play, but he’s not a difference maker. Can anyone else be? No one has a clue but the staff likes what they have. 

My biggest concern is that we’re creating a Todd Orlando dependent roster. If that guy leaves, for whatever reason, and the next guy wants to base out of a 4-3, we’re going to have depth issues on an otherwise deep roster. That will suck. Frankly, Orlando needs to be using way more four man fronts than he has (up to the ISU game) and even for him I do have some depth concern. 

Regardless of how anyone here feels, I think we can all agree that we’re not landing the guys that are helping Bama and Clemson win titles right now. We’re not getting the frequency that Bama’s getting, either. People can say “no shit, but who is?”. My response is simply “That’s the bar”, not that it is reasonable, because it isn’t. So I sure as hell hope that the program is capable of creating war daddies in the trenches, particularly at NT and 4i. 

I will be surprised if Herman doesn’t balance out the coaching staff with another DL coach this offseason. I expect that guy to be a rainmaker. No clue who leaves from the offensive side to make that happen, but I do expect turnover. Adding a DL coach who actually knows how to evaluate and also happens to thrive on recruiting would be a boon. 

Thanks for the feedback CTJ... not sure what the deal is with asking about our DT situation, but I certainly appreciate getting a straight answer with exactly the information I was lookig for... I'm not a fan of OB, I mostly read BON and BC to keep up with Longhorns... and what you just shared in not in either site...

And yeah, I was a big fan of BC and your articles when you were with them.... 

These are good thoughts. Accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Sir Mikie Maik said:

Well since you are an expert, please explain which one of the current defensive linemen from the 2019 class projects as a DT.

Linky below for reference...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2019-Football/Commits/?PositionGroup=D-LINE

I know it’s hard  being stuck in 1988 where teams used to play with a true NT and 3 technique but you need to get with the Big 12 and 2018. 

Casey Hampton type defensive tackles are  not only unicorns now but not even a role defenses are designing their front around. 

We are recruiting guys that we can grow into 280-300 pound disrupters who can hold the middle against spread offenses. These guys are going to get recruited at 260-280 pound defensive linemen with bigger frames. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

As I mentioned in the DT specific thread, short of getting Alabama quality DT’s, the staff seems to be taking large frame DE’s and re-purposing them. Probably a better strategy than taking second tier DT’s.

Ok, I read your comment from the other specific thread... 

Give me your simple opinion, are we doing great, good, plain or bad with DT recruiting? Seems to me there is some real uncertainty about the subject...

I believe and trust in Oscar Giles like Hank S does, but we I'm not sure I can ask him directly when I need to know more than what I can read in the media... so I ask to the next best available thing, a bunch of anonymous posters in the internet

Feel free to reply in the other specific thread

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The 2020 D-line class is loaded. No excuse not to land at least two or three of the top guys.

Broughton looks like he may end being a DT in the 6'5 290 range.  Dorbah is a stud.  No excuse not to land these 2.  Looks like we are in good spot with Princely and Collins.  I guess going after Sylvester and Bryant is still TBD.  Appears to be no interest in Wright.  

So yeah, no excuse not to get an elite DL haul next cycle.

56 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

What you're saying seems reasonable, but last time I checked you aren't a coach at the University of Texas, so what the fuck do you know? I'm going to trust the man who is out there every day, or every other day, or at least checking his emails weekly, who knows a hell of a lot more about d-line recruiting, or has at least been sitting in a room half awake while other coaches discuss d-line recruits, to make the decisions about who is or isn't the best fit for our team. And that man's name is Oscar Pistorius Giles. Not some keyboard jockey. HOOK EM. 

A bowl of cheerios can make more educated guesses about actual football than closetojumping or his sock sydneycarton.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That will eventually be our bar but until right now, we have fucking sucked. It’s hard to say we aspire to be Alabama when Kansas currently has scoreboard on us in Lawerance. First step is recruit better athletes across the board, become not so retarded at football and be relevant again. 

And it looks like we are on the right track. You can look at next year’s two deep and not wonder who in sam hell is going to play at critical positions. It’s hard to go from bottom of your conference getting embarrassed on the reg to Alabama. First we need a sustained winning program. 

But yes I do agree I hope we continue to close the gap with those teams. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

I think we’re fine at DT right now. Maybe it was you that said it, but I heard somewhere that they’re pleased early on with Coburn and Ojomo. Looks like we may have gotten a little lucky last year with the Meekins connection and the late riser. 

This, I may be doing circular logic here, but I kind of feel like the staff thinks they got their 2018 DT in Ojomo. The kid would be a high 4 star or better DT in this years class, which is where he should have been age wise. Instead, he has had the benefit of a year with Yancy, has some college snaps, and will maintain his redshirt. Between him and Coburn, I think we will get solid play at minimum at the nose for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Vertigo

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

A bowl of cheerios can make more educated guesses about actual football than closetojumping or his sock sydneycarton.

The only thing worse than your ability to analyze football is your infantile level of shit talking ability. Youre like a wheezing old octagenarian, blindly throwing haymakers at the wind and muttering my name on these boards. It would be sad if I didnt find it so amusing. Then again, im a bit of an asshole.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

In the world that Maryland runs for over 300 yards on them.

They are still doing well enough to control the LOS against most of teams they face. Maryland has a really good rushing attack.

Most teams would kill for a Dre'Mont Jones, Chase Young, or a Nick Bosa before he got hurt and left. tOSU's linebacker and safety play is meh though.

Edited by Atticus

1 minute ago, TKthunder2 said:

While we’re talking about DTs can someone explain to me why we couldn’t land Ed Oliver?

😉

Something about a coach who was sleeping with his mom and may have also been his uncle. That combined with his girlfriend attending Houston and their ability to outbid everyone else. Did I cover it all?

We have a couple disadvantages when it comes to DL recruiting because we play in the Big XII and run a 3-4 that highlights LB and Safeties more than DL. Poona was Big XII DL of the Year and went undrafted. 

Until we win consistently it's going to be very tough to recruit top tier DL OOS. For now we're reliant on the quality of TX DL in any given year. Last year we got the top guys, this year we missed on Leal. We all knew in May that we wouldn't have a very good DL class (except for the people thinking we'd flip Leal). Jones is a great get and we just have to hope the rest develop. 2020 should be a good year in TX and hopefully after that we'll be winning enough to recruit nationally. 

23 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

While we’re talking about DTs can someone explain to me why we couldn’t land Ed Oliver?

😉

We told him he could not wear a jacket on the sideline apparently. 

Edit: Damn someone beat me to it. 

Edited by Newy25

33 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Something about a coach who was sleeping with his mom and may have also been his uncle. That combined with his girlfriend attending Houston and their ability to outbid everyone else. Did I cover it all?

The coach sleeping with the mom was Thibs at OU and Momma Tatum fwiw

• Like 1