Texas recruiting notes 2019

38 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Most likely Wareheim. Mehringer doing his job, despite the hair cut.

Since we are on the subject, it is a little dicey for new coaches.  We need mehringer to get another shot at OC somewhere and take warehime to free up spots for Beaty if that's a legit home run hire (i am not going to pretend I know his resume). I don't think Herman wants to call plays but beck can't possibly leave could he? He's helped bring in our quarterbacks and probably helped in arizona. We need that Dline rainmaker as ctj suggested as well. Herman bangs the lack of staff turnover bell as a big key to growth and it will be interesting to see what he does. 

4 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Since we are on the subject, it is a little dicey for new coaches.  We need mehringer to get another shot at OC somewhere and take warehime to free up spots for Beaty if that's a legit home run hire (i am not going to pretend I know his resume). I don't think Herman wants to call plays but beck can't possibly leave could he? He's helped bring in our quarterbacks and probably helped in arizona. We need that Dline rainmaker as ctj suggested as well. Herman bangs the lack of staff turnover bell as a big key to growth and it will be interesting to see what he does. 

The WR’a have played well enough for Meh  to stick around for another year, regardless of his lack of recruiting prowess. The obvious candidate for turnover is Warehime.

11 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Herman has said on multiple occasions that he likes Warehime's ability as a recruiter, but he's not Beaty. Not even in the same neighborhood. 

Can/locate soft landing spots for Warehime and Mehringer. Hire Beaty to coach WRs/recruit, give him a CO-OC title to get him in the $450k range. Keep Corbz, Beck, Drayton, and of course Hand. 

This would allow Herman to FINALLY hire a 5th assistant on defense. I'd hire a recruiting witch to coach DTs/babysit Ole Gile.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

15 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I can't really see more than one coach leaving. Beck makes to much money to leave. Beatty may be Beck 2.0. He is a good recruiter for the Dallas area, but not a great improvement as OC. Agree on the DL hire, but who is that guy. Rhump was a good recruiter when he was here, but couldn't wait to leave. Seems like the best ones have a dirty reputation. How about the guy that came from LSU to here and on to Missouri.

23 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Does the "Mo Bamba" dance craze help with 'croots? Asking for an older, whiter friend. 

Not really a dance craze, just an insanely popular song. And it can’t hurt.

What’s funny is that when I first heard the song last summer, Mo had yet to play a game at Texas.

15 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

The WR’a have played well enough for Meh  to stick around for another year, regardless of his lack of recruiting prowess. The obvious candidate for turnover is Warehime.

For what its worth. Mehringerherher is rated as the #2 recruiting coach on 247.

2 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

I can't really see more than one coach leaving. Beck makes to much money to leave. Beatty may be Beck 2.0. He is a good recruiter for the Dallas area, but not a great improvement as OC. Agree on the DL hire, but who is that guy. Rhump was a good recruiter when he was here, but couldn't wait to leave. Seems like the best ones have a dirty reputation. How about the guy that came from LSU to here and on to Missouri.

Beaty May be Beck 2.0? I think anyone in here can be a better OC than beck, including Beaty lol but Beck is a great QB coach and that’s the conundrum. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Mehringer sock confirmed here. Don't bring facts into the discussion Drew. 

I’m not going to dig through the this and last year’s recruiting threads to figure out where CTJ has stayed most of those signings were because of Carrington.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
Grammur

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Mehringer sock confirmed here. Don't bring facts into the discussion Drew. 

You need to discuss this with 247.

I've got your sock hanging right here.

Joking aside, we've had the best WR play we have here in a long time. Probably more to do with Ehlinger than Mehringerher, but it is what it is.

Just now, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I’m not going to dig through the this and last years recruiting threads to figure out where CTJ has stayed most of those signings were because of Carrington.

I was making a joke. Herman has stated that LJH is our best player. It's been widely rumored that LJH hates Mehringer. This is a big, big problem. 

Yes the WRs are playing better this year, but Duv, LJH, and Colin have all had an additional year in the weight room and in the same offense. Additionally, Corbz was moved to coach "inside WRs" and diffuse a lot of the BS issues Mehringer created in the WR Room. 

If Herman values culture above all else, and he does see the OK State game suspensions, he has to get rid of Mehringer if only to get rid of the bad blood. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I was making a joke. Herman has stated that LJH is our best player. It's been widely rumored that LJH hates Mehringer. This is a big, big problem. 

Yes the WRs are playing better this year, but Duv, LJH, and Colin have all had an additional year in the weight room and in the same offense. Additionally, Corbz was moved to coach "inside WRs" and diffuse a lot of the BS issues Mehringer created in the WR Room. 

If Herman values culture above all else, and he does see the OK State game suspensions, he has to get rid of Mehringer if only to get rid of the bad blood. 

If that's the case, Herman better cunt punt Mehringer all the way to Kansas. We need LJH to come back next year. 

E.J. Holland: Key OL target Isaiah Hookfin names Texas a top school

Texas is still a player for Isaiah Hookfin. The three-star offensive lineman out of Fort Bend Dulles named Texas in his top schools on Friday afternoon. Southern Miss, Illinois, Auburn, Texas Tech, Mississippi State, Minnesota, Duke, Arizona State and Baylor are the other nine schools that made the list. Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand is recruiting Hookfin, who holds 21 offers from across the country.

Texas extended an offer to Hookfin earlier this month and hosted him for an unofficial visit soon after. Hookfin is scheduled to return to Austin for an official visit on Dec. 7. Texas holds 91 percent of Crystal Ball predictions, while the remaining nine percent is on foggy. Overall, 11 experts have made predictions. Texas currently has two offensive linemen committed this cycle but is still looking to add a few more. At 6-foot-5, 270 pounds, Hookfin is ranked as the No. 35 offensive tackle in the country and No. 52 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

The Longhorns have 22 commits in the 2019 recruiting cycle — four-star offensive lineman Tyler Johnson, four-star Millwood (Okla.) wide receiver Demariyon Houston, four-star Cuero athlete Jordan Whittington, four-star Westlake (Calif.) outside linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd, four-star Grayson (GA) defensive back Kenyatta Watson II, four-star Buford (GA) running back Derrian Brown, four-star Houston North Forest offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd, four-star Port Neches-Groves quarterback Roschon Johnson, four-star Notre Dame Prep (AZ) wide receiver Jake Smith, four-star Mayfair (Calif.) safety Chris Adimora, four-star Chandler (AZ) tight end Brayden Liebrock, four-star Plano East safety Tyler Owens, four-star Katy Cinco Ranch inside linebacker David Gbenda, four-star St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) wide receiver Marcus Washington, three-star Temple tight end Jared Wiley, three-star Orlando Jones (Fla.) outside linebacker Marcus Tillman Jr., three-star Alvin cornerback Marques Caldwell, three-star Many (La.) defensive end Myron Warren, three-star Butler C.C. defensive end, Jacoby Jones, three-star George Ranch defensive end Peter Mpagi and three-star Huntsville defensive end T’Vondre Sweat.

Texas finished with the No. 3 recruiting class last cycle, highlighted by a historic defensive back haul that featured big name recruits like Caden Sterns, BJ Foster, Anthony Cook, Jalen Green, DeMarvion Overshown and D’shawn Jamison. UT’s recruiting success came in its first year under Tom Herman, who coached the Longhorns to a 7-6 season and win over Missouri in the Texas Bowl. Herman is under a five-year contract with a base salary of $5 million per year. The 2017 season marked the program's first winning season since 2013 and first bowl win since 2012 under then-head coach Mack Brown. Prior to arriving at Texas, Herman led Houston to its first American Athletic Conference title in his first year at the helm. Herman then guided Houston to a win over Florida State in the Peach Bowl.

5 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Corby meekins = ed Oliver

Sometimes it doesn't sound so bad. 

Speaking of Ed Oliver.  He and Nick Bosa could possibly be the top 2 picks in the draft.  They have both completely quit on their teams mid-season.  I hope this is an aberration and not the start of a trend.  

Speaking of Ed Oliver.  He and Nick Bosa could possibly be the top 2 picks in the draft.  They have both completely quit on their teams mid-season.  I hope this is an aberration and not the start of a trend.  

Sorry, I must have missed 60 Minutes, what on earth are you talking about - regarding Ed Oliver?

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

HA-HA. Found CTJ sock. Is this how this works?

E.J. Holland: What Big 12 title appearance means for Texas recruiting

Texas is back — almost. In just his second year at the helm, head coach Tom Herman has his team in the Big 12 title game. That Week 1 loss to Maryland seems like years ago as Texas has put together an impressive season, highlighted by wins over ranked USC, TCU, Oklahoma and Iowa State teams — all at home in front of several top recruits.

It’s clear that Texas will have a manageable path to the Big 12 title game moving forward under Herman. The Longhorns have already shown they can beat the best in the conference (Oklahoma) or at least be right there (West Virginia). Can its biggest recruiting rival — Texas A&M — say the same? Will the Aggies ever be able to beat Alabama to get to the SEC title game?

Texas A&M won the state this cycle as it built off the momentum of hiring a new coach in Jimbo Fisher. But the Aggies still have a long way to go to get back to a conference title game. In fact, the last time A&M competed for one was in 1998. Kids in the 2019 class weren’t even born yet. Texas is recruiting at a high level with last year’s class ranked No. 3 nationally and this year’s class ranked No. 7. Texas has the potential to win Big 12 titles year in and year out under Herman. And if the Longhorns do just that, they will obviously have an opportunity to win national championships.

The contact period starts on Sunday and schools like Texas A&M and others will be on the road. But as offensive lien coach Herb Hand put it on Twitter, the Longhorns will be busy preparing to hoist a trophy. Texas doesn’t have to sell the future of the program anymore. It can sell the current. The Longhorns have the results to prove it, and things will only get better if they beat West Virginia or Oklahoma next weekend.

Recruits now know they can compete for conference and national titles in Austin. Expect the Longhorns to take back the Lone Star State next cycle while maintaining its strong national presence. With success on the field, there is no reason Texas can’t land Top 5 recruiting classes from now on. In fact, it will be the expectation. Texas will be back. I mean, really back. The proof is now in the pudding.

• Like 1

Looking at the 247 rating. We are listed at #7 with 22 commitments for 91.02 average and 269.08 score. While, LSU is at #5 with 20 commitments for a 90.89 average and a 271.75 score.
What am I missing here.

Obviously LSU did their own math. What’s the problem here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: What Big 12 title appearance means for Texas recruiting

Reveal hidden contents

Texas is back — almost. In just his second year at the helm, head coach Tom Herman has his team in the Big 12 title game. That Week 1 loss to Maryland seems like years ago as Texas has put together an impressive season, highlighted by wins over ranked USC, TCU, Oklahoma and Iowa State teams — all at home in front of several top recruits.

It’s clear that Texas will have a manageable path to the Big 12 title game moving forward under Herman. The Longhorns have already shown they can beat the best in the conference (Oklahoma) or at least be right there (West Virginia). Can its biggest recruiting rival — Texas A&M — say the same? Will the Aggies ever be able to beat Alabama to get to the SEC title game?

Texas A&M won the state this cycle as it built off the momentum of hiring a new coach in Jimbo Fisher. But the Aggies still have a long way to go to get back to a conference title game. In fact, the last time A&M competed for one was in 1998. Kids in the 2019 class weren’t even born yet. Texas is recruiting at a high level with last year’s class ranked No. 3 nationally and this year’s class ranked No. 7. Texas has the potential to win Big 12 titles year in and year out under Herman. And if the Longhorns do just that, they will obviously have an opportunity to win national championships.

The contact period starts on Sunday and schools like Texas A&M and others will be on the road. But as offensive lien coach Herb Hand put it on Twitter, the Longhorns will be busy preparing to hoist a trophy. Texas doesn’t have to sell the future of the program anymore. It can sell the current. The Longhorns have the results to prove it, and things will only get better if they beat West Virginia or Oklahoma next weekend.

Recruits now know they can compete for conference and national titles in Austin. Expect the Longhorns to take back the Lone Star State next cycle while maintaining its strong national presence. With success on the field, there is no reason Texas can’t land Top 5 recruiting classes from now on. In fact, it will be the expectation. Texas will be back. I mean, really back. The proof is now in the pudding.

Should be some good triggered aggy comments from this.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, futureman said:

jesus christ you’re smart.  

Jesus Christ you’re the most worthless person on this site. 

Or are you going to try to convince us that being good at rugby translates to NFL talent again?

Your takes are as bad as your satire.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

But the wall of their stadium says they won it in 2010? 🤔🤔 ... Must have won it so convincingly that EJ isn't comfortable saying they "competed" for their conf title

Let me guess. Aggy had the same conference record as OU, but worse overall record and lost to OU head to head. 

Yep, that sounds legit.