Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As to Bru McCoy, if they're actually going to make a "business decision" as a family, they have to be weighing the reality that his 3 years on campus will be filled with program turmoil at USC. There's almost no way around that at this point. Texas feels good about McCoy, but that could be delusion. I said "1" because I feel like one of the two recruitments falls in our favor.

I understand the allure of USC for a local kid, but man, you are spot on. He's almost guaranteed to have new coaches in a year. If it's a business decision, I bet we get him.

That being said, I also appreciate a kid committing to a school, not a coach. God knows that's helped us plenty over the years.

4 hours ago, Fud said:

I think Meekins or Mehringer are the most likely to move on with perceived promotions. Most likely one leaves and is replaced by a defensive position coach, with the second most likely scenario being both leave and one is replaced with a new WR coach. These are just educated guesses. 

Meekins leaves but Wareheim stays?  That seems counterintuitive and... bad.  Sell a small program on the merits of Mehringer, simply boot Wareheim if nobody else wants him, hire Beaty and move Meekins back to TEs.  Find help for Giles or, if there is a good DL coach available who also happens to be a recruiting Svengali, send Oscar to Major.

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We don't want him.

18 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Probably not gonna qualify 

17 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

A. Henderson stats- 2016-100 catches-1401 yards 

2017-81 catches-1168 yards 

2018-38 catches-574 yards (may not be updated)

It's interesting seeing the "lots of head cases and character issues" narrative chickens come home to roost.  What a strange cycle at the top in-state.

Edited by BigBenBamboozle

6 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Meekins leaves but Wareheim stays?  That seems counterintuitive and... bad.  Sell a small program on the merits of Mehringer, simply boot Wareheim if nobody else wants him, hire Beaty and move Meekins back to TEs.  Find help for Giles or, if there is a good DL coach available who also happens to be a recruiting Svengali, send Oscar to Major.

Meekins leaving, for any reason other than a promotion somewhere that he wanted, would be a bad thing for Herman with in-state recruiting. Also, he's done nothing to deserve being shown the door. 

Herman tried to help Warehime and Mehringer leave last year. It isn't like he's unaware of their deficiencies. It's hard for me to believe that either guy comes back for 2019. I think we're due for upgrades and Herman has learned under some cutthroat folks, or at least one, and I doubt he's not learning some shit on the job right now.

Separately, Giles continues to disappoint. I'd jack right off if Mack Brown wound up giving him an offer to join the UNC staff that he couldn't refuse. It's fantasy, but I'm going to hang on to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Meekins leaving, for any reason other than a promotion somewhere that he wanted, would be a bad thing for Herman with in-state recruiting. Also, he's done nothing to deserve being shown the door.  

Herman tried to help Warehime and Mehringer leave last year. It isn't like he's unaware of their deficiencies. It's hard for me to believe that either guy comes back for 2019. I think we're due for upgrades and Herman has learned under some cutthroat folks, or at least one, and I doubt he's not learning some shit on the job right now. 

Separately, Giles continues to disappoint. I'd jack right off if Mack Brown wound up giving him an offer to join the UNC staff that he couldn't refuse. It's fantasy, but I'm going to hang on to it.

Can Warehime and Mehringer, move Meekins back to TEs, and hire a good WR coach. Problem #1 solved.

Can Giles and hire a good DL coach, plus I suppose another defensive coach (LBs?). Problem #2 solved.

Not too too difficult, with stability at the top.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There's some scuttle that Meekins might be offered a promotion elsewhere, but at this point it sounds like the usual coaching carousel water cooler talk.

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Can Warehime and Mehringer, move Meekins back to TEs, and hire a good WR coach. Problem #1 solved.

Can Giles and hire a good DL coach, plus I suppose another defensive coach (LBs?). Problem #2 solved.

I don’t think we’d want to fire/not renew 3 assistants in one year, especially if another may leave to move up the ranks. 

But I’ll presume that herman is smart enough to know what he has lined up before making changes. 

36 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Warehime or Meekins both seem like candidates for analyst or QC spots if they don't find landing spots on other college staffs.....

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Didn't Mack fire Giles once already

18 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Clint Hurtt

Hurtt and Drayton are good friends, but would be interesting to see how CDC would feel about his recruiting violation....

https://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches-roster/clint-hurtt

Bo Davis also had recruiting violations.....

https://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches-roster/bo-davis

7 hours ago, hookem48 said:

Should I have mailed a letter? You act like recruits give 2 shits what hookem48 posts on message board, if they do they need to go do something besides be in the public eye. We are discussing recruiting, not having a circle jerk, cheerleading session. 

That’s the thought process back before Twitter happened. It’s a nice fantasy but it’s just not reality.  The fact is that recruits do give two shits about what people say about them on the Internet. The fact is that opposing fans and coaches and players do screenshot what people say and then tweet it/ text it to recruits over and over and over again. And the fact is that sometimes it makes an impact. 

But none of that truly matters because what you said was just plain wrong. 

Edited by GotThatFire

43 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Didn't Mack fire Giles once already

Mack: Come on in, Oscar. Have a seat.
Oscar Giles: [looking at Mack's modernist chair] What is this? A bed?
Mack: Yeah. You might wanna lie down because here we are again.
Oscar Giles: Well, I haven't forgotten anything. Not a damn thing.
Mack: A lot of times in life you get to do something and you don't realize until it's over how much you enjoyed it. And you swear that the next time it comes around, you're gonna remember that.
Oscar Giles: You're right. And I think I can work with you, too.
Mack: Work? No Oscar, I'm letting you go again.
Oscar Giles: What the hell? You can't do that!
Mack: It probably doesn't make a difference at this point, but no one fought for ya.
Oscar Giles: Well we'll see what the kids on the defensive line have to say about this!
Mack: Remember Bo Davis? Like a six foot version of James Avery? He's touring the locker room right now.
Oscar Giles: You bastard! I've got five four stars in recruits! What've you got?
Mack: I was thinking you would feel that way, that you had more recruits and that gives you a voice. I was imagining you talking over me in meetings. Now I don't have that problem.
Oscar Giles: My recruits will leave with me!
Mack: No one will ever say you weren't funny, Oscar.
Oscar Giles: Well I'll tell you one thing, I'm expecting some kind of severance!
Mack: Who knows? We're really hurting, we're having to cut back...well, obviously.
Oscar Giles: You're a real prick, you know that?
Mack: Dammit Oscar, you stole my goodbye.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think they need speed at WR and Houston brings it. I not only like the take, I really want him to not get squeezed in the event they can sign both EH and McCoy. 

Totally agree here. Houston could be our Hollywood Brown, and Herman mentioned making a point to go after some of these guys. That cat is lightning fast. 

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Totally agree here. Houston could be our Hollywood Brown, and Herman mentioned making a point to go after some of these guys. That cat is lightning fast. 

That's great. We need speed. When I watch a lot of the skill guys, I can't tell who is elite versus whose highlights are sped up playing against 2A competition.

Edited by Ricky Butler

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Firing 3 assistants on the heels of one of the best seasons we've had in years doesn't scream stability.  Warehime is the obvious candidate if anyone.  Meh and Giles can be argued either way.  

Best case scenario is they find a middle tier school where they get a CO-OC title along with whatever position they coach and are encouraged to take it.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

4 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Firing 3 assistants on the heels of one of the best seasons we've had in years doesn't scream stability.  Warehime is the obvious candidate if anyone.  Meh and Giles can be argued either way.  

I don't think it looks bad since it's just position coaches. It's not like we're looking for new coordinators. We pay Tom to discern the difference between stability and stagnancy.

1 minute ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

There isn't an "obvious" candidate period, and the reason for that is literally because of the first sentence you typed in your post. Wareheim? Ok, well the TE play has been the best it's been at Texas since Blaine Irby got his knee disintegrated. That's a decade ago. Beck's made some LOL yac plays this year, but he's made some big plays too. 

Mehringer is, on paper, spearheading a great recruiting class at his position and per some other links is a top recruiter in the nation this class. Additionally, if Collin Johnson goes apeshit in the last 2 games, he might be spearheading not one but two different 1k yard receivers in the same year at Texas, both who will probably leave and be day 1 draft picks. 

Compared to those first two guys, I'd argue the obvious guy to fire is Giles, although he's going to have an end with double digit sacks. 

Never forget that Herman thinks he's smarter than everyone else, and retaining his guys would in his mind justify his earlier hunches. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I don't think it looks bad since it's just position coaches. It's not like we're looking for new coordinators. We pay Tom to discern the difference between stability and stagnancy.

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

There isn't an "obvious" candidate period, and the reason for that is literally because of the first sentence you typed in your post. Wareheim? Ok, well the TE play has been the best it's been at Texas since Blaine Irby got his knee disintegrated. That's a decade ago. Beck's made some LOL yac plays this year, but he's made some big plays too. 

Mehringer is, on paper, spearheading a great recruiting class at his position and per some other links is a top recruiter in the nation this class. Additionally, if Collin Johnson goes apeshit in the last 2 games, he might be spearheading not one but two different 1k yard receivers in the same year at Texas, both who will probably leave and be day 1 draft picks. 

Compared to those first two guys, I'd argue the obvious guy to fire is Giles, although he's going to have an end with double digit sacks. 

Never forget that Herman thinks he's smarter than everyone else, and retaining his guys would in his mind justify his earlier hunches. 

Not being even 2 full seasons in, it would be none sensical to call anything stagnant yet.  I do agree with Sydney in his last point.  I could totally see a scenario where everyone is retained because of this season's success and the fact that we are going to close back to back top 10 recruiting classes.   

Not to split hairs, but the improvement in TE play doesn't offset how terrible Warehime is on the recruiting trail.  Giles doesn't call plays and lost arguably the best DT/NG we've had since the big snack and still should have a 10 sack DL.  

Andrew Beck 26 256 9.8 36 2

Beck has a had a better year, but those aren't world beating numbers.  His blocking has been decent.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

We need a startable grad transfer at OT regardless.  We are probably beginning the year with Okafor starting again at one of the tackle spots if we don’t get a transfer.

One of Okafor, Kerstetter, Moore, or Jones

I agree, landing a startable grad transfer is ideal 

It also make sense to pair an interior guy with the three OT's we're likely landing, although the 2020 interior class is loaded so the guy need to be a stud because he'd be taking a spot from one of them 

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Shouldn't grad transfer announcements start popping up soon?

It depends. A lot of them don't start announcing until during or after spring ball when it's clear that they're not starting. As we saw with Anderson and the Stanford kid last year, sometimes they start the process in the early spring. 

1 minute ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Not being even 2 full seasons in, it would be none sensical to call anything stagnant yet.  I do agree with Sydney in his last point.  I could totally see a scenario where everyone is retained because of this season's success and the fact that we are going to close back to back top 10 recruiting classes.   

Stagnant might have been the wrong choice of words. I just think Herman might have made a decision a year ago to move on from a couple of assistants after the "2-year commitment." Now with Del Conte here, he has the juice to upgrade his staff and make his life easier. Maybe I'm wishcasting.

IT

RECRUITING

RB Rhamondre Stevenson, Cerritos College (Norwalk, CA) - 2019: My apologies, I didn't see the JUCO runner was offered by Texas on the 20th. I had heard about him earlier in the month but the staff didn't want his name out. They went and checked on him the last time they say Bru McCoy. At 5-11, 235 pounds he has surprising wiggle, burst, and lateral quickness. Only long speed keeps him from being a special back but he can get home from 50 yards out in the Big 12. He also holds an offer from OU as well as Utah and K-State. I'm sure they'll get him in for a visit and he may become a priority as Texas gets a better feel for who it will land at the position leading up to NSD1. There's some high stakes poker going on at running back as Texas definitely needs two in the class.

RB Noah Cain, IMG (Bradenton, FL) - 2019: It's clear that Cain is a mercenary of sorts. His mother is in Florida, his father in Louisiana, and he plays in Florida. That's a big reason why I felt like Texas had a great chance -- it just makes so much sense when not just looking at UT, but the entire landscape. Georgia knocked his socks off on his official visit and now he's watching intently to see if Elijah Holyfield intends to declare for the draft. By no means am I saying this recruitment is a done deal, but you have to consider Georgia a real threat. The Bulldogs took the clear lead in the summer right before landing John Emery. What's unclear is how hard they'll press over the next couple of weeks. Fairly recently they were content to take only one running back and they just landed Kenny McIntosh.

Bru McCoy, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) - 2019: I only have this section because I'll be asked about the five-star receiver. I'm not going to write a non-update update, I'll just say that any new useful info in this recruitment will likely come to light after his official visit to USC this upcoming weekend. Clay Helton wisely pushed that visit back a week. As I've maintained, keeping Helton wasn't a nail in the coffin for the recruitment, but it alters the McCoy's calculations. Texas needs to hammer home stability and being a program on the rise. UT is trending in the direction USC should be and if it was Texas in their backyard this would be a done deal.

Javonne Shepherd, North Forest (Houston, TX) - 2019: Shepherd didn't make it to College Station this past weekend. As I've been writing for the last month or so, I feel more confident about UT signing him. He may make a visit to Texas in the coming days if he can get up there. You know how that goes with him. My hunch as of now is he'll sign with Texas during the early period.

3 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Not to split hairs, but the improvement in TE play doesn't offset how terrible Warehime is on the recruiting trail.  Giles doesn't call plays and lost arguably the best DT/NG we've had since the big snack and still should have a 10 sack DL.  

Andrew Beck 26 256 9.8 36 2

Beck has a had a better year, but those aren't world beating numbers.  His blocking has been decent.

Those aren't world beating numbers, no, but he has made big catches and big plays. In any offense with good TE usage, what would you expect to be "world beating numbers?" 2008 Jermaine Gresham, who had like 900 yards? He was their 2nd leading WR and probably one of if not their best option on offense. Jace Amaro at Tech rolling for 1200 receiving yards doesn't really count considering how their offense used TE. Jermichael Finley's best year at Texas was less than 600 yards and 3 TDs, if I remember correctly. Considering the shit show we've had for a decade, you can make a defensible argument wareheim has improved our TE play. And that's all I'm trying to do, is pretend Tom Herman is making a defensible argument in his head, which would include ignoring that Beck was injured all last year and we played true freshman at the position, while focusing on the fact that Wareheim recruited the best TE prospect we've seen on the 40 since Blaine Irby in this cycle. 

4 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Stagnant might have been the wrong choice of words. I just think Herman might have made a decision a year ago to move on from a couple of assistants after the "2-year commitment." Now with Del Conte here, he has the juice to upgrade his staff and make his life easier. Maybe I'm wishcasting.

I'm rooting for you to be spot on, my man, I'll say that.