Texas recruiting notes 2019

55 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We need a startable grad transfer at OT regardless.  We are probably beginning the year with Okafor starting at one of the tackle spots if we don’t get a transfer.  

52 minutes ago, Fud said:

One of Okafor, Kerstetter, Moore, or Jones

I agree, landing a startable grad transfer is ideal 

It also make sense to pair an interior guy with the three OT's we're likely landing, although the 2020 interior class is loaded so the guy need to be a stud because he'd be taking a spot from one of them 

If Cosmi moves to LT and Kerstetter is reinstalled at RT, will you guys have concerns about the OT roles at Texas in 2019, outside of normal preseason fan handwringing? I'm not sure I will. It doesn't sound like Moore or Jones will be ready, but we still have another offseason. I'm assuming Okafor is the next LG. 

They are intent on two more OLs, without regard for the GT arena. I have to assume someone within this group is going to be put at OG relatively early on in their time at Texas. Hookfin is an OT, if they're fortunate enough to sign him. Johnson is an OT. Seems like Shepherd is an OG that doesn't know it, or they like someone else for the interior in the JUCO ranks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

If Cosmi moves to LT and Kerstetter is reinstalled at RT, will you guys have concerns about the OT roles at Texas in 2019, outside of normal preseason fan handwringing? I'm not sure I will. It doesn't sound like Moore or Jones will be ready, but we still have another offseason. I'm assuming Okafor is the next LG. 

They are intent on two more OLs, without regard for the GT arena. I have to assume someone within this group is going to be put at OG relatively early on in their time at Texas. Hookfin is an OT, if they're fortunate enough to sign him. Johnson is an OT. Seems like Shepherd is an OG that doesn't know it, or they like someone else for the interior in the JUCO ranks. 

I'd probably just trust Herman and Hand on going with Kerstetter until there's reason not to, or at least that they looked for better options and couldn't find any who fit. 

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Kerstetter did not look good at OT this year before Cosmi replaced him.  We can talk about natural maturation after another year in the program as a reason for optimism, but the guy was recruited to play inside, should project to play inside, and was only at OT to begin with because our depth chart was FUBAR.  Plugging him in at RT is not optimal to me.  

I would not be surprised to see Tyler Johnson playing RT by next November if we don’t get a grad transfer, as Moore and Jones seem like bigger projects even with the extra year.  

Was Kerstetter actually recruited to play inside per quotes from Herman, Kerstetter, or inside info, or was that just fans and recruiting people projecting him?

2 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

I think it was recruitnik projection after watching Army Bowl practices.

Just found info from another site from a poster who knows their family; was told to try and reshape his body in the spring/summer before he got to campus so he could play tackle in college, and he did 

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I might be misremembering, but I thought he started out at guard and as a redshirt during the summer that year, and then suddenly became a tackle thrust into action after Williams got hurt and Nickelson/Okafor gave up a billion sacks during the middle part of the season.

I don't remember it that way, but I'm wrong on shit like this a lot. I do remember being told before last season that they liked him a lot and that they might play him if they had to do so, and they'd be okay with that. Then CW went down and Nicholson sucked, and voila. I think they like Kerstetter as a guy that could also develop at C. They haven't played him this year because they want to meat on him and they don't need to do so, but I've only heard that they still like him as a guy that will be a starter. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This. We will be in good position baring injuries with Cosmi and Kerstetter at LT/RT, plus Shack at Center (Ducks). We need a couple of Guards. Grad transfer will do, plus someone from on roster from interior group now to win the spot. I was concerned earlier in the year about next years OL, but Shack has had a good 2nd half of play.

Okafor will most likely be a swing guy at tackle if he doesn't win a guard spot.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Kerstetter did not look good at OT this year before Cosmi replaced him.  We can talk about natural maturation after another year in the program as a reason for optimism, but the guy was recruited to play inside, should project to play inside, and was only at OT to begin with because our depth chart was FUBAR.  Plugging him in at RT is not optimal to me.  

I would not be surprised to see Tyler Johnson playing RT by next November if we don’t get a grad transfer, as Moore and Jones seem like bigger projects even with the extra year. 

No. Do not want to see another Fresh play OT for this program unless its the next Anthony Munoz. I think Kerstetter will be just fine. This is pretty much his red-shirt year.

42 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Is Junior Angilau expected to contribute next year? Plus, I guess Hudson is still a possibility if his health improves.

This. There was talk about Junior's maturity, technique, and athleticism. A true tackle, supposed to be a Sam Cosmi bookend.

CHIEF

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Which of our commits haven't taken an OV yet?  Only ones I can think of are Shepherd, Sweat, Tillman, Warren, Adimora, Caldwell, Floyd?? and Owens??  I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Great question....

Also trying to remember which 2019 Recruits are Early Enrollee Candidates....

With regards to Shack, it is amazing how much better he looks this year. This was his first full offseason being able to go through conditioning and that is not a coincidence. A healthy program does not force to start him as a freshman. I think he can be really good next year. 

I want to see someone upgrade Vahe at LG. There is no excuse there for his sub par play. 

19 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

With regards to Shack, it is amazing how much better he looks this year. This was his first full offseason being able to go through conditioning and that is not a coincidence. A healthy program does not force to start him as a freshman. I think he can be really good next year. 

I want to see someone upgrade Vahe at LG. There is no excuse there for his sub par play. 

Mr. Shackelford  is that you? 

Just kidding, Shack has played better this season. 

Regarding next season, the only possible upgrade at center on the roster is Kersetter and he could be needed at RT. 

I wouldn't sleep on Angilau at RT. Per reports, he's been practicing there. I imagine we'll read/hear more about this during bowl practices.

Is Grandy done with football or just out for 2018? I've seen it reported both ways.  Grandy is done per his own Twitter page. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Does Myron Cunningham have any ties to the schools recruiting him? He's gone from wide open to OU lean somehow. He's originally from Warren, Ohio. 

I think Herman prefers grad transfers given the recent success. There's an old sentiment around football circles: "It takes a year to coach the JUCO out of them". I tend to agree. Even our beloved Gary Johnson needed about half a season to get acclimated to P5 Football.