Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

45 minutes ago, NoName said:

Wells:

Reveal hidden contents

poster: TFB is reporting that Jason Washington wants to take Jordan Moore.

Wells: That’s a little inaccurate. 

Texas is interested, including Washington, but nothing more right now.

///

poster:  I think it's telling that @Eric Nahlin dropped the idea that the staff probably thinks that going after Barlow would be *redundant* with Brown already in the fold.

I read that as acknowledging that, yes Barlow has skills, but they're the same skills that Brown has, and we don't need two of the same; if we go after another one we want him to bring something different to the table.

Wells: Proper assessment.

I also don’t want to take Jordan Moore 

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

Jordan Moore was ranked higher than PJ Locke, Josh Thompson and Kobe Boyce coming out of HS.  He won’t be a downgrade in the secondary and likely just depth anyway. 

Correction.  Quality depth per Texum official bio.

2018 (FRESHMAN): Appeared in four games, primarily on special teams, and provided the Aggies with quality depth at the defensive back position.

4 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Jordan Moore was ranked higher than PJ Locke, Josh Thompson and Kobe Boyce coming out of HS.  He won’t be a downgrade in the secondary and likely just depth anyway. 

This is Mack Browm roster management 101 

bring in scholarship wasters. If you’re not competing for a spot, your making everyone worse 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

We're sort of past the point as a program where you take a guy who's going to be on scholarship for 3 years as "just depth." Especially when it's coming at the cost of valuable 2020 scholarships which we're already hard up on, man. And even more at a position in the secondary that is really talented currently. Would you turn away an offensive lineman like Jake Majors to take fucking Jordan Moore? Because that's what you're talking about. Also, Kobe Boyce hasn't done shit so lets not somehow use him has a positive comparison point?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We're sort of past the point as a program where you take a guy who's going to be on scholarship for 3 years as "just depth." Especially when it's coming at the cost of valuable 2020 scholarships which we're already hard up on, man. And even more at a position in the secondary that is really talented currently. Would you turn away an offensive lineman like Jake Majors to take fucking Jordan Moore? Because that's what you're talking about. Also, Kobe Boyce hasn't done shit so lets not somehow use him has a positive comparison point?

I would typically agree with you. However, I also remember Donovan Duvernay playing this season after a bunch of DB injuries. Depth isn't so bad.

Yes, I’d like the next man up to be a highly recruited 4-star like Moore, not some 3-star project.  Moore is an upgrade to the backups we have now and would likely be a quality replacement in the event of some injuries in the back end. 

He’s a take in my book.  

16 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Wait, I’m confused now. Are we believing rankings are indicative of talent today or that the $9.95ers scrotum-scratching totalitarianists?

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He was widely ridiculed by most people on this board at the time as being overrated and a player we didn't really want. We celebrated when he went to aTm and we then backed into "the good moore." And now people want to talk about how he's a 4 star upgrade player, even though he's spent a year in a shitty program with a horrible secondary and couldn't contribute, spent a year in a shitty strength and conditioning program, will have to sit out a year, and will eat a scholarship for several years. 

How the fuck is adding a player we didn't want at the time a good idea now that he has a year less eligibility and has to set out? We're talking quality depth for fucking 2020? If we absolutely MUST, then take another mediocre DB now to RS in our system and let THEM be quality depth in 2020. At least then in a pinch they could be depth in 2019 if every one of our DBs gets struck with Polio, or we can start the clock on them and get them washed out even sooner. 

This is the first sensible thing you have said in years. 

26 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

ah, didn’t realize barton simmons and his peers knew years ago that jordan moore was better than those players are now.  sorry for being skeptical, my bad. 

jordan moore shut down ou commit crawford moore will be needed in rrs game

When I saw Jordan listed as a CB transfer from atm I was shocked. I saw the twins play their senior season and Josh was their shutdown cb matched up 1on1 with OU signee Jaqualyn Crawford. Crawford had 1 or 2 catches that game. Joshua Moore was lights out stuck on him all game.

Jordan Moore played rb and had over 100yds and played wildcat qb as well.

Edited by hornyhorn

5 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think Kyle may be one of those rare kids who understand the value of a degree from Texas (and McCombs) - while at the same time realizing his own limitations on a football field (he isn't going pro).

4 hours ago, Wishbone said:

The coaches obviously see some value in keeping Porter on. He will be a solid contributor this Sping when the D practices fumble recovery technique.

I'm thinking that Porter doesn't graduate until May.

Then, with degree in hand, he can make his Grad Transfer choice to wherever he can get in.

He does not have to be in the Transfer Portal to Grad Transfer.*

*For 
comparison see: BUECHELE, SHANE

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I also don’t want to take Jordan Moore 

27 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

And FWIW (not much), Jordan Moore is better depth than Donovan Duvernay is. Still wouldn't give him a scholarship.

I've said it before and will say it again.

I'd take Jordan Moore as a PWO. Let him room with his brother. They can get a phat** pad and he doesn't suck up a scholarship. Maybe he qualifies for some other form of financial aid, so that he's not paying full tuition, but his R&B will be "taken care of" by sharing a house/apartment with his brother.

If there's an open scholarship after attrition, he gets a scholarship for one year. If he earns a scholarship after that, he gets a scholarship for another year, but they should NOT guarantee a scholarship for his the rest of his stay in Austin. (The kid is coming to UT whether he gets a scholarship or not. One semester in College Station has just about killed this kid that bleeds Burnt Orange.)

**Do kids still use "phat" these days?

55 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Yes, I’d like the next man up to be a highly recruited 4-star like Moore, not some 3-star project.  Moore is an upgrade to the backups we have now and would likely be a quality replacement in the event of some injuries in the back end. 

He’s a take in my book.  

Defend this,  it is utter horseshit.  Donovan Duvernay... maybe.  Montrell Estell?  Not if he were healthy.  Nobody else.  Unless you want to compare him to walk-ons, which is the only way I would take him.

• Like 1

"When I saw Jordan listed as a CB transfer from atm I was shocked. I saw the twins play their senior season and Josh was their shutdown cb matched up 1on1 with OU signee Jaqualyn Crawford. Crawford had 1 or 2 catches that game. Joshua Moore was lights out stuck on him all game.

Jordan Moore played rb and had over 100yds and played wildcat qb as well."

5 minutes ago, hornyhorn said:

jordan moore locked down ou commit moore will be needed in rrs game

You need to work on your reading comprehension.

Edited by Napoleon

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

"When I saw Jordan listed as a CB transfer from atm I was shocked. I saw the twins play their senior season and Josh was their shutdown cb matched up 1on1 with OU signee Jaqualyn Crawford. Crawford had 1 or 2 catches that game. Joshua Moore was lights out stuck on him all game.

Jordan Moore played rb and had over 100yds and played wildcat qb as well."

You need to work on your reading comprehension.

jordan not josh  🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Utah does not really have an open path to the starting job. They have an entrenched starter and they signed their best QB prospect in years in 2018. Their depth chart is no more open that ours. 

That 2018 signee has already transferred to Indiana.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jack-Tuttle-90176/

With the new transfer portal and the amount of attrition we see every cycle I have a hard time caring about numbers. I think Texas will be able to get to 25 every cycle. I know CTJ has reported otherwise for the '20 class but I'll believe we are taking a small class when it happens. 

I'm going to guess taking Jordan Moore has no impact on the numbers in the '20 class. 

Edited by texasstrong12

33 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

There is our RB2 in the 2019 class. Alvin Kamara 2.0

If that is the case, do they take a look at getting another wide receiver? I have not seen a single name mentioned that is realistically available, though.