Texas recruiting notes 2019

39 minutes ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:
Do we need 2 with the way our depth is?  1 + grad transfer maybe?

With the way our LB's either get injured or go full potato for 4 years *coughTownsendcough* we should take ALL of them.

I'm pretty sure he's a classic case of not eating his spinach growing up... I still think he's the type of player that goes to frog or okie state and kicks our ass though so I don't mind ( looking at you Gbenda.)

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-monday-august-13th/

Caught In The Crossfire | Jaylen Ellis
– Charlie S

I spoke to 2019 Cedar Hill wide receiver Jaylen Ridge (Round Rock, TX) earlier this evening.

As you are all aware, Ellis is a Baylor commit who received an offer from Texas back on May 26th. What you may not recall is that four days later, on May 30th, Ohio State also offered the talented receiver.

While we feel that Texas is in good shape should they decide to push in this recruitment, I was curious to know what impact all of the news out of Columbus may have on his plans as well as the suddenly forced inclusion of Tom Herman into the mix no matter the validity (or lack thereof) of the news.

I asked Jaylen to describe how the news has impacted him in regards to both schools and if he has decided to cool things down until the dust settles a bit and he said, “I am using my time wisely to make the best decision that I can”. He added, “Having the time I do, I like to get closer to the staffs that I am really focused on”.

As far as how all the reports have affected him, he said, “I don’t really pay much attention to the reports, some catch my eye but not many”.

As the discussion progressed, I asked him if the respective fan bases have brought the news to his attention on a continual basis and he replied: “Came across some UT fans and that didn’t really faze me much, like I said, things like that don’t really catch my eye”.

While wrapping up the conversation, I asked him if he had noticed any change in the type of communication he had been having with each staff and if they have actively addressed the reports and he said: “No it’s just kind of came in calmly”.

Going forward, I would expect the impending decision in Columbus as to retain or dismiss Urban Meyer will play a large role in determining Ellis’ interest in the Buckeyes as it will most of their targets and commits.

I don’t see the allegations levied against Tom Herman on Twitter earlier today by a member of the Ohio State media as being anything but a very minor bump along the road in this recruiting class, which will be forgotten shortly thanks in large part to Brett McMurphy emphatically silencing those claims.

Caleb Johnson Receives Texas Offer | Visit Upcoming
– Super K

Texas offered JUCO LB, Caleb Johnson (Fullerton College). Johnson was a guy we mentioned last week as someone to keep an eye on.

If you watch a few plays of Johnson’s film, you can see right away that the young man can absolutely run. At 6’0 (flat-footed) and 216 lbs. His build and his game may remind you of someone already on the Texas roster.

Gary. Johnson.

And apparently he reminds the staff of Johnson as well, “They see me playing Gary Johnson’s position. They compared me to him because of my speed and physicality”.

Johnson is Texas’ rover and Orlando employs him, in part, to get to the QB via, often disguised, inside pressure.

Caleb has the pedigree of an athlete. His father was a multi-sport (Football and Basketball) athlete at Miami (Ohio) and his older brother played defensive end at North Dakota State.

Recruiting

Johnson picked up his first power five offer this past May which came from Iowa State. He took an official visit to Iowa State shortly thereafter.

He said he plans on taking at least two more official visits. He will take an official visit to Arkansas which is scheduled for sometime in October. He also said he will take an official visit to Texas. No date has been set but added, “I’m talking to them later today about that”. He wants to get the visits out of the way as early as possibly, “I’m not trying to wait too long to take these visits”.

In terms of a decision Johnson says he’s eyeing a late season decision. I did ask him if a big visit from Texas could change that and induce him to commit on the spot. He said, “I don’t know. I kind of felt that way with Iowa State but I held off. I’d probably just talk to the people around me that I trust and give me advice and see what they think”.

Texas will likely have an excellent pitch in terms of position availability as Gary Johnson’s spot will be vacant after this season.

The other advantage Texas will have is Austin, “I like the city vibe. Iowa State was more of a small town and I did like that everyone is invested in the team”.

In Austin it would seem Johnson could get the best of both worlds, the city environment he’s looking for to go along with the big-time college football atmosphere.

IT

GARRETT WILSON & MARCUS WASHINGTON

Don’t be surprised when Trinity Catholic (MO) 4* wide receiver Marcus Washington takes an official visit to Austin in September.

All set to announce last month, Washington said he wanted to wait and see how the college landscape shakes out. In other words, he wanted to know who was going to be the head coach at Ohio State. 

Texas has been recruiting him hard, especially after Garrett Wilson committed to the Buckeyes, and would have received an unofficial visit this summer if his mind hadn't already been made up. With him taking another look at schools we expect Texas to finally get that visit.

Of note, the Texas staff and Washington’s father, Fred, have a great relationship, and UT has a solid advocate in its corner in 2020 athlete Mookie Cooper.

As for Garrett Wilson, the turmoil at Ohio State has caught his attention, but Columbus is still his likely destination. 

Wilson admittedly isn’t a fan of recruiting. So when he pledged to the Buckeyes in early May, it was to end the process as much as pick his future program. 

He has taken two official visits - Ohio State and Texas. He’ll definitely make a trip to the Horseshoe for a game this fall. There’s a decent possibility he might take in a few others, notably to see the Longhorns and Sooners. 

Wilson claims he doesn’t want to de-commit from the Buckeyes, and I believe him, but I don’t think his recruitment is entirely over. 

There's scuttle around Columbus that Urban Meyer is likely to retain his job and given a 2-4 game suspension after the investigation concludes. 

The rumor of Wilson almost flipping to Texas was inaccurate last weekend. He’s solid, but given proximity and so many Longhorn friends in his ear I’d be surprised if he doesn’t visit for a game this fall. Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck has taken on this recruitment and it's worth monitoring. As we've stated since the spring, Texas must show vast improvement on offense to even have a chance. In that way, Tim Beck is really taking on this recruitment.

RECRUITING AROUND THE HORN 

On Elijah Higgins... the 6’3, 230-pound Austin Bowie receiver might be relapsing with Stanford love. For him to land at Stanford he'll need to start the process with them anew, but they've been a school he's liked since the onset and he's willing to do so. You can probably guess how this will go if he's eventually admitted but Tim Beck is going to continue working on him as well. 

On David Gbenda
 I'm hearing Cinco Ranch linebacker David Gbenda is filming a commitment video, and that he wants to end his recruitment right before his senior year kicks off. It's down to UT, TCU, and A&M. We like the Horns chances here. 

• Like 1

A little more IT on JUCOs:

JUNIOR COLLEGE TARGETS EMERGE 

Texas has no problem combing the JUCOs for guys who could potentially step in and play right away. Fullerton College (CA) linebacker Caleb Johnson is a prime example of a potential starter rather than depth. 

The 6-foot-1, 215-pounder and Iowa State commit picked up a Texas offer recently. And now they have his attention. Good evaluation, Matt Campbell, Todd Orlando will take it from here. We'll see. 

“I read coach Orlando’s whole defensive scheme and also saw tape of it. Similar to Gary Johnson’s spot, I believe. I love the program’s history,” said Johnson, who is also getting the hard sell from Oregon and Cal. 

He thinks Texas would be a nice fit. 

“I'm looking for a program that helps me reach my full potential most of all,” said Johnson, who holds offers from Arkansas, Florida Atlantic, and Marshall. "And as of right now I’ve been building a great relationship with the director of recruiting coach Carrington and D-coordinator coach Orlando.” 

With it certain to lose Gary Johnson and Anthony Wheeler, the staff understands the need to add a more mature body to the competition, along with the younger talent it will acquire on National Signing Day. Johnson fits the bill as a nuanced linebacker who is aggressive through contact, uses his eyes well, and can make plays in space or downhill. It isn't lip service to say he could fill in at Rover, but even if that doesn't work he could be a fantastic Mac.

Two others to watch from the JUCO ranks are defensive lineman Chester Graves from Iowa Wesleyan, and linebacker Lakia Henry from Dodge City. Henry is a tackling machine following in the footsteps of Gary Johnson (how is Dodge City finding these guys?) and a Tennessee verbal pledge. UT is confident it can make significant headway with each of the three. 

The recruiting department will continue to look for more JUCO kids to breakout this fall. Adding a junior college prospect this cycle seems inevitable and you'll likely want to set the over/under at 1.5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

On David Gbenda
 I'm hearing Cinco Ranch linebacker David Gbenda is filming a commitment video, and that he wants to end his recruitment right before his senior year kicks off. It's down to UT, TCU, and A&M. We like the Horns chances here. 

Time to see how TFB feels about Gbenda. 

I don't hate Wilson, but man he's giving Smith/Meyer/tOSU a huge leash. They're gonna come out stronger, I'm solid, wait and see what happens, etc. Meanwhile a report that is later proven false about Herman being the source immediately makes him sick. More vocal and disapproving of that than the position coach that was doing the wife beating. Clearly has different feelings about the two schools. Like god damn that should be all the evidence we need that he doesn't like us and isn't coming here. 

I was on the 'wish him all the best, next up' train until this. It sucks he's been put in the spotlight and was the center of Snook's hit piece on Herman--I'm sure it's a lot of unwanted negative attention--but I've definitely soured on him a bit because of how he's handled it. 

• Like 1

If I’m being honest, I ain’t mad at him. He wants to go home and play for his team. If there was some kid in California that grew up in Austin, turned out to be one of the best players in the country and wanted to leave Cali to come play for Texas we would all think it was awesome. RRR, you do you. Even now, with what’s going on with the current coaches at Ohio State. Ohio State probably means more to him than whoever the coaches are, and that’s cool too. Although if the coaches stay and he still goes to play for them that’s kind of fucked up ...

But

On the way out, he gives reporters remarks toward Texas that could hurt UT’s efforts.  And he talks about bringing other Texas players with him that likely don’t share his same love for that school, he just wanna pull Real Texan players with him because greed. Once again hurting UT’s efforts. We all know he’s talking the same trash to these players about Texas that urban said to him.

That’s why I’m team fuck him.

Edited by GotThatFire
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

If I’m being honest, I ain’t mad at him. He wants to go home and play for his team. If there was some kid in California that grew up in Austin, turned out to be one of the best players in the country and wanted to leave Cali to come play for Texas we would all think it was awesome. RRR, you do you. Even now, with what’s going on with the current coaches at Ohio State. Ohio State probably means more to him than whoever the coaches are, and that’s cool too. Although if the coaches stay and he still goes to play for them that’s kind of fucked up ...

But

On the way out, he gives reporters remarks toward Texas that could hurt UT’s efforts.  And he talks about bringing other Texas players with him that likely don’t share his same love for that school, he just wanna pull Real Texan players with him because greed. Once again hurting UT’s efforts. We all know he’s talking the same trash to these players about Texas that urban said to him.

That’s why I’m team fuck him.

If I’m being honest, I’m really sick of discussing the guy on this thread. I’m at the point of cheering for his failure because I’m irritated having to wade through all of the posters wishing him luck. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

If I’m being honest, I’m really sick of discussing the guy on this thread. I’m at the point of cheering for his failure because I’m irritated having to wade through all of the posters wishing him luck. 

I, personally, do not wish him luck, if that’s what you meant.  I’m of the opinion that every player that’s not a Longhorn should suck at football, thus maximizing Texas Ws. I do not understand the “wish him well” sentiment, when pertaining to athletic success. 

On 7/31/2018 at 8:51 AM, golfclap said:

On Wilson -- the quote in question is directly out of tOSUs staff's maw. issued verbatim. You can always tell when a kid has his own quotes and thoughts vs. the recruiting language and this was clearly directly from Meyer and his staff. It wasn't some moment of clarity or the kid keeping it 100. It was a kid spewing the recruiting rhetoric that he'd heard from the school that he was always headed to. Wilson talked shit about UT during a training session with Chux as well. Not to mention his additional poisoning of the well with Higgins who already struggles with his severe butthurtitis. I'm 100% with Tex Pete on this one, fuck that guy.  

Exactly.

Fuck. That. Guy. 

• Like 1

People are all different and football players have different goals and reasons for picking a school, but when I moved away from Austin I missed it a ton.  I got back to Austin as soon as I could get a job here and I never looked back.  If Higgins and Wilson both go out of state, reality might set in pretty quickly.   There is a lot to love about the University and the Austin area.  Just ask Cam Rising, Jake Smith and Braden Liebrock.  

Man, I wish we were so good that our current receivers (signed or committed) were the only thing keeping us from multiple NCs in a row. Then I could worry about whether another talented diva spurns us for what amounts to his childhood home team in the land of the Amish mafia. But if everything about him is this high maintenance and divisive already, I can’t see him being a plus in Austin. Way too much is being made over this dude. 

• Like 1