Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

11 hours ago, Machinator said:

Speaking of OL, here's Tyler Johnson's highlights to date: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6542724/581b945b11fa807c98f3d0e4

That's what a five star left tackle prospect's film is supposed to look like. I think he has as much upside as any player in this class. You just don't see too many guys that huge who can move that way.

14 minutes ago, pacman said:

Shack's only problem is he didn't get the benefit of a redshirt to work on his weakness, strength. His health has suffered as a result.

To keep this 2019, do we have any center prospects/targets?

Apparently there is a belief within the program that you can take a good guard talent and turn him into an excellent center if he’s got the brain for it. Outside of the occasional Branson Bragg, who’s an obvious high quality C candidate, they’ll take guards and cross train them at C to find a few that can produce there. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Shack gets a lot of shit here, some deserved and a lot undeserved. He’s snapping the ball much more consistently this season, but he still has mental lapses here and there.

I really think the coaches like him because a. he’s smart and can make his calls and b. he has a nasty attitude on the field ala Kasey Studdard. You need a guy or two who wants to rip the face off the guy across from him. 

Reading between the lines, I think what I’m hearing you say is we need to recruit more rapists.

• Haha 1

IT class percentages

Given the instate wind shift in recruiting from last cycle to this, one could make a case the Texas staff will have an even more impressive cycle in 2019 than 2018 if it can finish the season strong, and by extension, the recruiting cycle.

The tailwind of 2018 turned into a headwind quickly with the playoff run and ensuing early start to the cycle made by OU and the hiring of Jimbo Fisher at A&M. Despite that, Tom Herman was content to play the waiting game — to let the season play out — rather than rushing offers that didn’t meet his championship standard. While remaining measured instate he took an aggressive, out-of-state approach that has so far netted Texas its two best commitments (in my opinion) as well as many other quality ones.

That approach is nowhere near done for this cycle.

This obviously isn't every prospect on the Texas radar, but these are currently the main targets as I see it. These players have either taken an official visit, or intend to, and the staff is still working on them.

RB Noah Cain, IMG (Bradenton, FL)

The fit: With its preference for using inside zone as the foundation for the offense, Cain was always a sensational fit. The stylistic comp is Frank Gore. Good feet, runs behind his pads and rarely takes a loss. In the most recent podcast Ian called him a souped up Daniel Young. That also works.

The recruitment: I felt good until John Emery chose Georgia over LSU, which made the former Baton Rouge native an even bigger priority for Ed Orgeron. Emery, from Destrehan, LA., may elect to stay home and flip his commitment, but then Georgia would possibly just re-engage with Cain. Cain has long had a fondness for Texas and Stan Drayton and will take his official visit on November 3rd when Texas hosts the no shirt, no shoes, no service crowd from West Virginia.

Timeline: Dec 21st (early enrollee)

Percentages: 15%. Between LSU and Georgia, I'll predict whichever school doesn't land Emery.

RB Trey Sanders, IMG (Bradenton, FL)

The fit: Explosive big back who can run inside or outside, with speed or with power. "He's the best running back out this way since Dalvin Cook," said one source. To which I responded, "he looks way different than I remember as a junior." He didn’t look like a five-star to me until this year.

The recruitment: This recruitment threw me for a loop yesterday. In the span of about 10 minutes both Justin and me heard positives regarding Texas. I've been very cautious (to put it mildly)on UT's chances thus far, but now I could see them landing the five-star.

Timeline: December for the early enrollee. He still has an official visit to Alabama for the Iron Bowl which is obviously a concern. He took his official visit to Texas for the USC game.

Percentages: 40% - Texas, 40% - Alabama, 20% - Florida

WR Elijah Higgins, Bowie (Austin, TX)

The fit: Wide receiver-y, tight end-ish, big bodied target. Like Lil'Jordan Humphrey he could play in the slot or at X. When it comes to fit and function no school has a better sell or actor to portray his future role.

The recruitment: Stanford was the front-runner, then it wasn't. Then Florida emerged as a favorite. At times Texas has been in favorable position and is making noise yet again. With Stanford's renewed interest they're the favorite but Texas is making things interesting. I tend to think UT is the bridesmaid, though the staff has narrowed the gap.

Timeline: November or December. He'll take an official visit to Texas on November 3rd. Feed Lil'Jordan, imo.

Percentages: 30%. I wouldn’t be entirely shocked if they kept him home. The late push is making things interesting.

WR Marcus Washington, Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MO)

The fit: A graceful, smooth receiver with length and strong hands. Zach Smith admired him for his ability to stretch for balls. He’d be an X.

The recruitment: Washington reciprocated interest throughout the summer and always gave positive feedback, but he was all set to pick Ohio State until scandal broke out. As he slowed things down UT began to press even harder. He took his official visit for the USC game and has been trending to Austin ever since.

Timeline: Set to announce 10/26

Percentages: 85%

WR Bru McCoy, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA)

The fit: A complete football player, not unlike BJ Foster. Where as Foster was a RB/S prospect, McCoy is a WR/LB. Also like Foster, McCoy's upside is on defense but he's good enough on offense to stick there. He's an X, but is also fluid enough to play slot. He’s a really rare bird.

The recruitment: He really enjoyed his visit to Austin in April. His interest was genuine enough that we filed it away as one to watch if he returned and USC struggled. Well, well, well. Texas decided to make its own luck. McCoy took his official when the Longhorns defeated his hometown Trojans. He has numerous friends on the USC roster, but that's a double edge sword. When things are going good that makes you a veritable lock to that school. When things are going bad, it can impact negatively in ways that are very difficult to overcome. We continue to hear Texas has positioned itself as the school should McCoy leave state, but he still may take another visit or two. Herman promising snaps on both sides of the ball is a differentiator and a way for Herman to help Bru realize his ultimate upside.

Timeline: Early January (early enrollee)

Percentages: 50%. That's an unintentional hedge. If I were to move it at this point, it would be towards 60 rather than 40. I maintain that Texas will land one of Higgins, McCoy, or...

WR Garrett Wilson, Lake Travis (Austin, TX)

The fit: What makes him so special is he could be a difference maker at any receiver position on the field.

The recruitment: Texas was out-recruited by Ohio State but is nowhere close to conceding. Turbulence in Columbus and a smooth jet stream in Austin could makes this one worth monitoring. We're not ready to say this one is over.

Timeline: He's an early enrollee. If anything happens here I suspect it would happen quickly, rather than a long, drawn out drama. You would see an immediate shift. The staff needs to get him on campus for the West Virginia game and build a consensus between he and Higgins.

Percentages: 20%

WR Kennedy Lewis, Melissa (Melissa, TX)

The fit: Yet another X. He has good size, runs well, and demonstrates the ability to attack the ball in the air.

The recruitment: He camped at Texas in June and received an offer soon after. Despite that he committed to TCU during the summer only to re-open his recruitment after taking an official visit to Austin this month.

Timeline: He still wants to take visits to Notre Dame and Florida before deciding but the more interesting story-line is if the staff feels like it still has room when he's ready to make his decision.

Percentages: I have this one at 75% if they push, but numbers are tight and as you can read there are many other irons in the fire. If he represents the floor at X in the class, that isn't bad.

OL Myron Cunningham, Iowa Central C.C. (Fort Dodge, IA)

The fit: Cunningham is a 6-foot-5, 300 pound tackle prospect who looks to at least have the ability to be a swing tackle. He's one of the Juco's I honed in on after watching a lot of them. He's good, and an added value if they sign him would be the ability to move Denzel Okafor to guard.

The recruitment: Too early to tell and I bet his recruitment is going to take off in the coming weeks. Arkansas will be a school to watch. He tells me he'll likely visit Texas in December. With Calvin Anderson departing, the staff can sell him on the potential of playing left tackle. It can also use Anderson as an example of a new transfer experiencing immediate success.

Timeline: He's a December signee.

Percentages: 50%, based solely on being his best offer.

DL DeMarvin Leal, Converse Judson (Converse, TX)

The fit: With his size, athleticism, and motor, Leal profiles to what the staff covets in a 4i.

The recruitment: Texas thought they had him all but locked up in the spring but A&M pulled the surprise in the spring and has done well to hold on since. He already took his official visit to Texas, and there's some belief he'll sneak back on to campus at some point, but I've seen little reason to be optimistic of late.

Timeline: He's another early enrollee. There's nothing to see here unless he visits again -- which I guess can't entirely be ruled out.

Percentages: 15%

DL Faatui Tuitele, St. Louis (Honolulu, HI)

The fit: Similar to Jordan Elliott in that he could play end or nose in a three-man front. For this defense he'd be a nose.

The recruitment: Tuitele has been very quiet and I don't know much about him. I *think* he intends on taking an official visit to UT which is the only reason I'm mentioning him. I would blindly pick Washington on the strength of d-line coach Ikaika Malloe (lettered at U-Dub) and the recent success of Vita Vea. He's a former high school teammate of Tua Tagovailoa but Bama has its typical embarrassment of d-line options.

Timeline: Not sure.

Percentages: 10%

DL Myron Warren, Many (Many, LA)

The fit: He's what the staff is looking for in a developmental 4i. Great frame, good athleticism, and physical.

The recruitment: It's been a busy month for Warren. He picked up a Texas offer which preceded his TCU de-commitment by a day. He's also picked up Oregon, Nebraska, and Tennessee on state school offer bingo. In many ways his recruitment is just getting started. What everyone is waiting to see is how hard LSU will pursue him. As they're wont to do, they often don't leave room for instate studs like Malcolm Roach, Michael Williams, and possibly Warren. Right now the feeling is he'll be squeezed out of the LSU class but that remains to be seen.

Timeline: Unsure.

Percentages: 75%, assuming LSU doesn't have room. The number drops considerably if they do. People who have two Myrons in the class name pool are licking their chops.

LB Caleb Johnson, Fullerton College (Fullerton, CA)

The fit: Johnson is a fast, physical linebacker who would play rover at Texas. Set to enroll in January, he would have a very good chance to fill Gary Johnson's shoes, and probably even his jersey.

The recruitment: Another prospect who is having a busy October. He de-committed from Iowa State and has taken official visits to Texas as well as Arkansas. The staff's efforts will likely go for naught as Oregon offered on Sunday. Johnson grew up a fan and scheduled a visit for when the Ducks take on the Arizona State Sun Devils.

Timeline: Mid-to-late November has been his timeline, and it coincides with his visit to Eugene.

Percentages: 30%. He really liked Austin and I won't entirely rule out this staff if it gets an in-home visit closer to Johnson signing, but that Oregon offer is a bummer.

DB Jalen Catalon, Legacy (Mansfield, TX)

The fit: He's a nickel all the way. He's on the short side but he isn't small. He plays fast, instinctive, and physical, and looks loose enough in his hips to where he won't be a liability in coverage.

The recruitment: I'm rigid to my evaluations and also my read of a kid and my read on Catalon has been Texas all along. So even though there are some factors waving me off of this prediction, I can't quite pull the trigger. I believe he feels very comfortable in Fayetteville. I think his parents want him at TCU. I think deep down they all know Texas makes the most sense. Craig Naivar has invested a lot of time in this recruitment and my feeling is it will pay off in the end, but it'll be close.

Timeline: Early January

Percentages: 60%

ATH Peyton Powell, Permian (Odessa, TX)

The fit: Some of y'all crack me up. Entertaining quarterback talk is outlandish. Discussing wide receiver at least makes a little more sense, but look who Texas is targeting still at that position. The fit is clearly at defensive back. What's less clear is where in the secondary he best projects. It could be any outcome of corner, nickel, or safety. Safety is probably the most likely, but corner is the most exciting.

The recruitment: He became relatively well known after a terrific SPARQ combine in which he ran a 4.45 40 and scored a 37" vertical. Texas played things fairly slow but hosted him on an official visit for the Baylor game. He's taken official visits to Ohio State, who likes him at corner; to TCU, who likes him at receiver; and to Texas Tech, who likes him.

Timeline: October/November

Percentages: 80%

#####

In the comments you'll wonder where the offensive and defensive linemen are. I will either ignore that question or tell you the staff should have earned your trust by now. I might remind you that we did this dance last year and it was a waste of time.

More names will appear in the lead up to NSD1, and then another name or two will appear in the lead up to NSD2.

Texas currently has 18 commitments with room for 9 more. The push for a top-five class is on.

• Like 4

In the comments you'll wonder where the offensive and defensive linemen are. I will either ignore that question or tell you the staff should have earned your trust by now. I might remind you that we did this dance last year and it was a waste of time.

Will that stop football board goobers coming over and complaining about "WE NEED BEEF FOOTBALL STARTS ON THE LINES NO EXCUSES"?

Probably not.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Will that stop football board goobers coming over and complaining about "WE NEED BEEF FOOTBALL STARTS ON THE LINES NO EXCUSES"?

Probably not.

This is me right now, but I've done my best not to shitpost, knowing how the staff does things.

But this slow dance really works up my anxiety.  I hate it.  I'll adjust over time, but to say that the staff earned our trust already is...highly questionable.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve heard nothing but raves about the OLs taken in the 2018 cycle. They’re not expecting to need Moore for 2 more years and they expect competition to keep stacking up around the OL, but they like where he’s at compared to their expectations. billfromlaketravis’s take that there is some sort of concern about Moore feels a lot like bullshit, but hey, it’s the Internet. 

No concern. It’s just that he’s behind the other freshman. 

Sorry fellas I should have worded that better. 

11 hours ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

Where are the negative reports on Moore coming from?  That kid is the prototypical starter kit for an elite LT after 2-3 years in a college strength program.  

i havent heard anything negative about him. the staff thinks he is a future multi-year starter at LT.

16 minutes ago, JBJ said:

This is me right now, but I've done my best not to shitpost, knowing how the staff does things.

But this slow dance really works up my anxiety.  I hate it.  I'll adjust over time, but to say that the staff earned our trust already is...highly questionable.

This is nothing compared to Strong's stealth signing day shock the world classes. That was madness, this is just us letting our board settle for remaining spots. We will be fine.  

When one of our favorite ATH types comes off the board this afternoon for the good guys, please keep the “how many WRs do we take then?!” or “I guess we’re out on Washington/Higgins/Lewis/McCoy” histrionics to a minimum. Or, I guess if we’re questing for 1,000, fuck it, gnash the teeth. Either way, cheers. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Isn’t this what everyone does?  The “center” prospects out of high school, outside of the occasional Branson Bragg, are typically way undersized compared to the guards and tackles.  Recruiting guys who are exclusively centers means Jason Glynn and Terrell Cuney types.  Hell, I think Lyle Sendlein played DL in high school.

Sure, I’m guessing quite a few do that. The guy up thread was asking about C prospects, so I was trying to add some color. My preference is they throw their hat in on the top 2-3 true C prospects nationally each year, but sadly all of my suggestive emails on various recruiting items remain unrequited. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When one of our favorite ATH types comes off the board this afternoon for the good guys, please keep the “how many WRs do we take then?!” or “I guess we’re out on Washington/Higgins/Lewis/McCoy” histrionics to a minimum. Or, I guess if we’re questing for 1,000, fuck it, gnash the teeth. Either way, cheers. 

I'm going to clog up the thread with GIFs, CTJ.  You're going to be so triggered.

184.gif

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Does this mean we are out on Wilson?

• Like 1

Did OU stop recruiting him? Ppl around here (west Texas) thought he was going to pick OU at one point.

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I'm going to clog up the thread with GIFs, CTJ.  You're going to be so triggered.

That's the problem with the rep model on sites.

You end up with monkeys who fling shit everywhere hoping to get a pos rep reward.

Edited by pacman

6 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Did OU stop recruiting him? Ppl around here (west Texas) thought he was going to pick OU at one point.

I don't think OU was pushing, but Ohio State and TCU have been (and tech), and those schools know what they're doing 

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Isn’t this what everyone does?  The “center” prospects out of high school, outside of the occasional Branson Bragg, are typically way undersized compared to the guards and tackles.  Recruiting guys who are exclusively centers means Jason Glynn and Terrell Cuney types.  Hell, I think Lyle Sendlein played DL in high school.

Yes. Guards, tackles, centers, TEs. Whoever looks and checks out like they could be a better center vs. their position should be recruited with center in mind. Same with tackles translating to guard at the next level. 

Inside Texas had a recruiting percentages article this morning, and below is what they wrote on RB Trey Sanders.

Up until now, they haven't given UT much of a chance.

The fit: Explosive big back who can run inside or outside, with speed or with power. "He's the best running back out this way since Dalvin Cook," said one source. To which I responded, "he looks way different than I remember as a junior." He didn’t look like a five-star to me until this year.

The recruitment: This recruitment threw me for a loop yesterday. In the span of about 10 minutes both Justin and me heard positives regarding Texas. I've been very cautious (to put it mildly)on UT's chances thus far, but now I could see them landing the five-star.

Timeline: December for the early enrollee. He still has an official visit to Alabama for the Iron Bowl which is obviously a concern. He took his official visit to Texas for the USC game.

Percentages: 40% - Texas, 40% - Alabama, 20% - Florida

1 minute ago, Scholz said:
Inside Texas had a recruiting percentages article this morning, and below is what they wrote on RB Trey Sanders.

The fit: Explosive big back who can run inside or outside, with speed or with power. "He's the best running back out this way since Dalvin Cook," said one source. To which I responded, "he looks way different than I remember as a junior." He didn’t look like a five-star to me until this year.

The recruitment: This recruitment threw me for a loop yesterday. In the span of about 10 minutes both Justin and me heard positives regarding Texas. I've been very cautious (to put it mildly)on UT's chances thus far, but now I could see them landing the five-star.

Timeline: December for the early enrollee. He still has an official visit to Alabama for the Iron Bowl which is obviously a concern. He took his official visit to Texas for the USC game.

I'm approximately 0% invested in that recruitment until after his Iron Bowl OV.

• Like 3

Also, we have 2 silent commits currently.  One is supposed to be Missouri WR Marcus Washington who is announcing this Friday.  The other committed yesterday and could announce as early as tomorrow.  Not supposed to be a surprise.  I would guess Odessa ATH Peyton Powell.

5 minutes ago, Scholz said:

2 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Also, we have 2 silent commits currently.  One is supposed to be Missouri WR Marcus Washington who is announcing this Friday.  The other committed yesterday and could announce as early as tomorrow.  Not supposed to be a surprise.  I would guess Odessa ATH Peyton Powell.

Are you just reposting things that we've already been over this morning?

• Like 4