Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

25 minutes ago, pacman said:

That's the problem with the rep model on sites.

You end up with monkeys who fling shit everywhere hoping to get a pos rep reward.

Well, I can say that advocating for bad dudes and rapists to join football teams sure as fuck isn't going to get you any positive rep, at least not on a longhorn site. Maybe you should consider moving to gifs.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When one of our favorite ATH types comes off the board this afternoon for the good guys, please keep the “how many WRs do we take then?!” or “I guess we’re out on Washington/Higgins/Lewis/McCoy” histrionics to a minimum. Or, I guess if we’re questing for 1,000, fuck it, gnash the teeth. Either way, cheers. 

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I get Bru McCoy is a stud, but what is the best outcome for us? Awesome linebacker that is an elite pass rusher and elite in coverage?

His best upside is on D, but we're recruiting him to play O and be a situational defensive player.  Basically, come here and play WR and be a third-down pass rusher for us, too.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sure, I’m guessing quite a few do that. The guy up thread was asking about C prospects, so I was trying to add some color. My preference is they throw their hat in on the top 2-3 true C prospects nationally each year, but sadly all of my suggestive emails on various recruiting items remain unrequited. 

Have you tried tweeting at them?

14 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I get Bru McCoy is a stud, but what is the best outcome for us? Awesome linebacker that is an elite pass rusher and elite in coverage?

if i remember correctly, he's only a take for us on defense. if one of the best athletes in the entire country wants to come here and try and play on offense, our coaches have been instructed to tell him to look elsewhere. thanks, but no thanks, buddy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

if i remember correctly, he's only a take for us on defense. if one of the best athletes in the entire country wants to come here and try and play on offense, our coaches have been instructed to tell him to look elsewhere. thanks, but no thanks, buddy.

It was a question about what side of the ball. Like Keenan Allen was a DB recruit at one point. Playing his favorite position worked out ok for him.

21 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Bru will get a shot on offense and defense..... Definite Take for Texas  at any time.

IT comments:   WR Bru McCoy, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA)

The fit: A complete football player, not unlike BJ Foster. Where as Foster was a RB/S prospect, McCoy is a WR/LB. Also like Foster, McCoy's upside is on defense but he's good enough on offense to stick there. He's an X, but is also fluid enough to play slot. He’s a really rare bird.

The recruitment: He really enjoyed his visit to Austin in April. His interest was genuine enough that we filed it away as one to watch if he returned and USC struggled. Well, well, well. Texas decided to make its own luck. McCoy took his official when the Longhorns defeated his hometown Trojans. He has numerous friends on the USC roster, but that's a double edge sword. When things are going good that makes you a veritable lock to that school. When things are going bad, it can impact negatively in ways that are very difficult to overcome. We continue to hear Texas has positioned itself as the school should McCoy leave state, but he still may take another visit or two. Herman promising snaps on both sides of the ball is a differentiator and a way for Herman to help Bru realize his ultimate upside. 

Timeline: Early January (early enrollee)

Percentages: 50%. That's an unintentional hedge. If I were to move it at this point, it would be towards 60 rather than 40. I maintain that Texas will land one of Higgins, McCoy, or.......Garrett Wilson

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

This is me right now, but I've done my best not to shitpost, knowing how the staff does things.

But this slow dance really works up my anxiety.  I hate it.  I'll adjust over time, but to say that the staff earned our trust already is...highly questionable.

Sophomore evals on linemen mean much, much less than sophomore evals on skill players. What a lineman is doing as a senior is much more indicative of who he is as a player than being a foot taller than his peers as a sophomore or freshman, which is what so much recruiting furor is based upon these days.

I'd much rather have a staff that is judicious with its offers to linemen early offer good players late than offer unknowns or questionable talents early. We don't need more Baby Hueys here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, I can say that advocating for bad dudes and rapists to join football teams sure as fuck isn't going to get you any positive rep, at least not on a longhorn site. Maybe you should consider moving to gifs.  

A simple response, from the normals, squashes the topic in two posts, as I clearly was ignorant on Brooks.

Brooks' issues are too serious (more so than Leitao) to take a risk on would have sufficed. Read Saturday's, or way back on July 3rd discussion on his alleged offenses.

But groupthink psychosis and rep whores take it to 11, as usual on this site.

• Fuck You 2

36 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

M. Tongue was the guy you're probably thinking of in that he wants to play WR, but he's absolutely going to wind up as a LB who could play at the next level. McCoy is a talented WR. His floor is that in college. He's got natural skills there and he's got the size to continue to be a player at WR in college. He could easily develop into something even more valuable on defense, but he'll be an asset on offense if he chooses to stay there. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

M. Tongue was the guy you're probably thinking of in that he wants to play WR, but he's absolutely going to wind up as a LB who could play at the next level. McCoy is a talented WR. His floor is that in college. He's got natural skills there and he's got the size to continue to be a player at WR in college. He could easily develop into something even more valuable on defense, but he'll be an asset on offense if he chooses to stay there. 

Pretty sure he's being sarcastic there

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Outside of Leal and Wilson and Bragg, Tongue is going to be the guy I hate missing out on the most at NSD 

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Meh. Trust the staff and all, but this one doesn't do it for me. There are better options out there with similar physical dimensions. 

I like this just because it will add fuel to the burning wreckage that has been TCU boards the past couple weeks.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Meh. Trust the staff and all, but this one doesn't do it for me. There are better options out there with similar physical dimensions. 

His Junior tape shows a huge person with poor footwork and a bit of a nasty streak. Maybe he is a little more coordinated as a senior or maybe he is another Octavious Bishop?