Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Welp, Cook and Boyce/Green are going to get their shot much sooner than expected. 

TFB is reporting Boyd and Davis will be suspended for the first quarter of the OK State game. Late to practice. 

Pray for a pass rush. 

So milk the play clock on offense?

Welp, Cook and Boyce/Green are going to get their shot much sooner than expected. 

TFB is reporting Boyd and Davis will be suspended for the first quarter of the OK State game. Late to practice. 

Pray for a pass rush. 

At least for a quarter, I'm not as uncomfortable with Boyd and Davis on the bench as I perhaps should be. It certainly won't cost us any interceptions. 

Pray for a pass rush. 

Looks like they haven't outgrown the dumbass

25 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They deserve all of this. Enjoy us taking Washington on Friday as well. (all obviously c/o LHF)

DqRelONU4AAZTGt.jpgDqRemDiVYAAGavC.jpgDqRem2cVAAAdIf_.jpg

tOSU pulled all the coaches from recruiting this week to figure out how to regroup.  https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/20181023/ohio-state-football-urban-meyer-cites-urgency-needed-to-fix-buckeyes-problems

There is also major friction between the AD and the football program being reported.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Pray for a pass rush. 

A banged up Sam and our two starting corners out for the first quarter.

Hold on to your butts.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I also think Floyd starts as a freshman. Maybe they start Dele against LSU to do SEC LB things, but Floyd is probably the starter in conference play. 

Caleb Johnson could play Rover in our defense, but Oregon is pitching him on playing inside to give y’all an idea of where they view his skill set. 

Don’t mess with a good thing. Keep the Shark at B Backer. 

Rover is inside in our defense as well. It's the weakside LB or the Will in traditional D nomenclature. 

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This is pretty cool - 247 is going to have a tool that allows you to see a player's ratings changes over the course of their recruitment:

Good. We can see graph form of hilarious shit like Marcus Washington and Roschon Johnson plummet hundreds of spots for absolutely no apparent reason, and arjei henderson and bobby wolfe just flatline. 

49 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

tOSU pulled all the coaches from recruiting this week to figure out how to regroup.  https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/20181023/ohio-state-football-urban-meyer-cites-urgency-needed-to-fix-buckeyes-problems

There is also major friction between the AD and the football program being reported.

Oh man,  two weeks to install the 3rd and short martell package. Look out everyone. 

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

that's the stuff of nightmares for Barton S and Wiltfong. 

I imagine Barton and Witfong sitting in the back row of the internal meeting begging for the stop broadcasting call, getting more and more frenzied as shannon terry says "Fuck it, Imma just tweet this hot shit out right now."

Clive-Myrie-Throat-Slash.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I imagine Barton and Witfong sitting in the back row of the internal meeting begging for the stop broadcasting call, getting more and more frenzied as shannon terry says "Fuck it, Imma just tweet this hot shit out right now."

Clive-Myrie-Throat-Slash.gif

Fong. ^ 

Barton :: 

giphy.gifBarton.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I’m sure it was covered already but are we trying to get back in on Chris Steele now that he de committed from USC?

Can't get back in on something you weren't in on to begin with. There's nothing to see there.

Edited by Atticus

9 hours ago, Treefidy said:

If Jones stays, where does foster play?

For what it’s worth, his long time girlfriend (who already graduated) recently made an Instagram post about “so proud of this guy” with a cloud raining money above him.

From what I remember about his recruitment, he also has a single mom at home. 

Seems like that monetary incentive to go pro is there - both from family and relationship perspective.

i can actually see a guy like CJ returning as a UT fan and legacy, but Jones just has a different feel.

Edited by CravenTaters

15 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Brewster's son put in a crystal ball pick to Texas for Texas FWIW.

Can't be! Looch and Hamm have both said that Texas has always wanted to be an aggy, and play for Fisher & Company. Doesn't matter though - satyanash is worried that Texas will for sure flip to Tree if it is accepted.

4 minutes ago, CravenTaters said:

For what it’s worth, his long time girlfriend (who already graduated) recently made an Instagram post about “so proud of this guy” with a cloud raining money above him.

From what I remember about his recruitment, he also has a single mom at home. 

Seems like that monetary incentive to go pro is there - both from family and relationship perspective.

i can actually see a guy like CJ returning as a UT fan and legacy, but Jones just has a different feel.

I think both will return. It is all based on them seeing the class before them leave early to only not go early on in the draft. 

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He talked a big game about liking Texas, but never visited and has no plans to visit. Take that as you will.

It's weird. It's almost like there's a particular pattern here with this one. Like we've seen it before or something. I feel like we should have a go-to checklist for shorthand to expose for us whether a recruit is for real or just using us or something.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/10/open-post-wednesday-october-24th/

Elijah Higgins In-Person | Return Visit & Decision Timeline
– CJ Vogel

The first game back from a wrist injury for Texas target Elijah Higgins was a quiet one. Higgins was not much of a factor in Austin Bowie’s 42-28 victory over Austin Akin Friday night.

The combination of constant rain, Bowie breaking long play after long play, and a kick return in the first half kept the ball out of Higgins’ hands for most of the night.

Higgins displayed phenomenal quickness off the line tonight. He played in the slot more often than I anticipated heading into the game which will certainly work to his advantage at the next level.

His versatility is something that will certainly work to his advantage. His 6’3” frame is a mismatch on the outside to begin with, however, Higgins’ big build will allow him to muscle-up with big-bodied LBs, and let’s not forget he is still fast enough to burn safeties over the top.

Akins clearly game planned ahead of time for No. 4 Higgins.

So where are things standing in his recruitment?

Higgins said he has an idea of where he will be playing college ball next fall.

“I definitely have a school in mind,” said Higgins after the game.  “I’ve definitely narrowed it down for sure and a commitment is coming more realistic than it was before.”

Higgins put a rough 3-4 week time frame on when a commitment could be expected. At the moment, the final three consist of Stanford, Florida and Texas, yet Higgins did mention Ohio State being a possible darkhorse.

A return to the 40 Acres is on Higgins’ radar. He plans to return to campus on Nov. 3rd for an official visit when Texas plays West Virginia at home. At the moment, that is the only visit scheduled from now until Higgins’ commitment in 3-4 weeks.

Getting Higgins on campus last certainly helps, and a good offensive performance against WVU, especially one from Lil’ Jordan Humphrey, might be enough for Higgins to shut everything down.

“Lil Jordan is who they say they see me modeling out there if I were to go to Texas. He’s doing really well and they’re getting him the ball and utilizing him the way I see myself being utilized in college.”

Higgins mentioned WR Jordan Whittington constantly being in his ear about joining the #fUTure19 class. On the contrary, Lake Travis WR Garrett Wilson is doing the same about getting Higgins out to Columbus, Ohio.

Make no mistake, the Texas staff is still prioritizing Higgins despite movement with other wide receivers lately. The Bowie prospect is in contact with the staff every day which will be something to track with a countdown to his commitment.

In the end, I believe the fate of this recruitment comes down to the news Higgins receives from the Stanford Admissions Office.

Quick Hitter | Texas Offers JUCO OL Myron Cunningham
– Charlie S

Earlier this week, the Longhorns extended an offer to Iowa Central C.C. offensive lineman Myron Cunningham.

Cunningham is a 6’5″ 300 lb OL who currently plays offensive tackle for his JUCO. He currently holds offers from Arkansas, Nebraska, and Pitt and is hearing from OU and Oklahoma State as well.

He mentioned that while most teams are recruiting him strictly as a tackle, he has had discussions about moving inside if needed as he is versatile enough to play at the guard spot, but he believes he will remain at tackle.

I caught up with Myron this morning and he let me know where things are at between he and Texas.

Myron said, “I have been in contact with Coach Hand for a few weeks, maybe a month now, and I plan on visiting in early December”.

Myron has one other visit currently planned, and that is to Arkansas on December 7th.

Cunningham will be a 2 for 2 (2 years to play 2 seasons).

I will have more on Cunningham as his visit date approaches.

Andrew Coker to Visit Texas
– Super K

This past weekend, I had a chance to see TCU offensive line commit, Andrew Coker (Katy Taylor) play in a match-up between Taylor vs. Mayde Creek.

Coach Herb Hand was there at the game to see both Andrew Coker and 2021 offensive lineman, Hayden Conner (Conner is excellent by the way).

Coker lined up at both tackle and guard. He’s a massive human being. He isn’t just tall, he’s broad and long. Coker got his hands on Mayde Creek’s 4-star defensive end, Marcus Stripling, at one point and just enveloped him and put him on the ground.

Coker will need to continue to improve his overall bend, flexibility and feet. At this point, I’d see him as more of a massive inside guy. Hand’s splits are pretty narrow so after some work, I think he could do well enough in his system.

As many of you will recall, Coker held a Texas offer even before he committed to TCU. However, it doesn’t sound like things between Texas and Coker are done just yet. Andrew said he will definitely take an official visit to Texas. In fact, he said he will be at Texas for the game against West Virginia on November 3rd.

That West Virginia game is going to be a massive recruiting weekend.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Wheeler and Locke won't be missed. It's funny, both would have probably balled out in the SEC West. 

Charles O and Nellie will be big losses. 

Hager is a situational player that Herman is playing full time to help a team leader get to the next level. 

Boyd still hasn't played a game this season as good as the back half of last season. 

Davis has been up and down. 

Gary can be awesome, but he's still an athlete figuring out how to play LB. 

I think the defense will be about the same next season. About the same possibly better in the secondary and at LB. They'll be very green. I think there will be drop off at DL, but getting Roach back should be a big help. 

If they spin Roach back down to DE next year, a starting DL of Roach, Graham, and Bimage could be far more disruptive than our line this year. I think we will be fine, the question will be the depth behind them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

If they spin Roach back down to DE next year, a starting DL of Roach, Graham, and Bimage could be far more disruptive than our line this year. I think we will be fine, the question will be the depth behind them. 

Wilbon has given us really good snaps at Nose in relief this year.  I wouldn't count him out as a starter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Moro and Chisholm at backup end, Wilson and Coburn at backup nose sounds decent 

I think depth will actually improve. Coburn is killing it in practices and S&C. I think the depth is going to be better simply because we are improving size, strength, and athleticism. Ojomo and Chisolm on the edge - same story. Ossai as a situational rusher ...   

*Edit: Fud beat me to it. 

14 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Wilbon has given us really good snaps at Nose in relief this year.  I wouldn't count him out as a starter.

Wilbon is going to be the starter, and there will be little to no dropoff. If Coburn passes him then Coburn is really fuckin nasty. Bimage will be an upgrade over Hager. There might be a little dropoff from Omenihu to Graham/Chisholm/whoever

54 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

I think both will return. It is all based on them seeing the class before them leave early to only not go early on in the draft. 

2nd to 4th round money is substantial for a single parent family out in East Texas. I think BJones has improved as much as any player under Orlando, and his shortcomings (ball skills) won't fix themselves with one more year on campus. The kid just fights the ball in the air and that won't change, but he has elite range and run stopping ability. 

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

2nd to 4th round money is substantial for a single parent family out in East Texas. I think BJones has improved as much as any player under Orlando, and his shortcomings (ball skills) won't fix themselves with one more year on campus. The kid just fights the ball in the air and that won't change, but he has elite range and run stopping ability. 

This.  The quicker you get into the league the quicker you can get to a second contract - and players in the third round are still getting close to a million in signing bonus.    If you stay and work yourself into a second round pick you double the signing bonus - but you also just cut another year off of your prime earning years.  

Some people get their panties in a twist whenever a player leaves early and then feel vindicated if that player doesn't hit the highest end of their potential draft spot. They ignore the fact that the risk is staying, getting hurt, and making nothing.

Jones might benefit from another year, as unlike Deshon Elliot, he has first day athleticism. That said, his athleticism makes it unlikely that he drops to the 6th round like Elliot did. Would love to have Jones back and see him make 1st/2nd round money as that makes the program look like it can max out recruits. Considering the risks, I can't feel bad about the guy taking a chance to make real coin even if it isn't maximized.

Also, the reality is that Jones is limited in the amount of coaching he can get at this level. He is much more likely to improve his ball skills and his overall craft as a pro than as college player, because as a pro he can get unlimited coaching and practice, either from his team or from training he can afford with his pockets full. 

I'm not a "trust the coaches" guy, pretty much ever. However, these guys have done an amazing job of evaluating talent, particularly in the form of a unified roster plan. It's clear they're not just looking at guys and "can they help us win a national title", but they're doing so in concert with the rest of the roster. That's really compelling shit. 

That considered, this is a recruiting board and I am who I am, so I have to say, I don't get the Coker interest. Beyond just not getting it, I feel like the premise that that dude could play guard in college is absurd. I don't think projecting OLs is as much a black art as some, and maybe that's hubris here, but the whole thing is bizarre. I'd view him as a miss from day one, and he'd be one of the only ones since Herman stepped on campus. I guess if they view him as an OT and feel like they need another, I get that at least.

An alternative, and this is pure recruitnik dorky shit, is that they're doing what they can to tear Fat Patty's regime apart root and branch. He's been a problem for Herman repeatedly on the trail, shit talking Texas, saying we don't put guys in the league anymore, that we can't win, and that we don't develop talent. Well, now that's pretty hard stuff for Patty to claim, and his team is coming apart at the seams. Perhaps Herman is touching as many targets associated to this 2019 class for TCU as he can, because he can. Bring as many in as possible, highlight trajectories, and make life a bitch for Patterson, so he's got more shit to deal with while Texas focuses on the future classes. It's absurd, but I think I'm going to live with that fantasy. Herman's crew definitely engaged with some of this during Fisher's first class, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. There is nothing to gain for Texas from having TCU be worth a shit. They're irrelevant to our value or goals.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Some people get their panties in a twist whenever a player leaves early and then feel vindicated if that player doesn't hit the highest end of their potential draft spot. They ignore the fact that the risk is staying, getting hurt, and making nothing.

Jones might benefit from another year, as unlike Deshon Elliot, he has first day athleticism. That said, his athleticism makes it unlikely that he drops to the 6th round like Elliot did. Would love to have Jones back and see him make 1st/2nd round money as that makes the program look like it can max out recruits. Considering the risks, I can't feel bad about the guy taking a chance to make real coin even if it isn't maximized.

Also, the reality is that Jones is limited in the amount of coaching he can get at this level. He is much more likely to improve his ball skills and his overall craft as a pro than as college player, because as a pro he can get unlimited coaching and practice, either from his team or from training he can afford with his pockets full. 

I'm with everyone on Jones, including you. I'd like for him to stay and I think he'll make a mistake leaving early, but I don't blame him and I hope it works it. You also mentioned Elliot, and I'd just like to offer that I view his situation as different. He was a cancer within the program and he left because Herman wasn't Daddy Chuckles, and that made poor Elliot mad. He made a stupid choice, and then, he made an ass of himself in the summer time and ran Texas over in the process, in public. So fuck him. I don't cheer against him, but he's not someone I want to see associated with the program. I view his behavior and circumstance as night and day to Jones'. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

An alternative, and this is pure recruitnik dorky shit, is that they're doing what they can to tear Fat Patty's regime apart root and branch. He's been a problem for Herman repeatedly on the trail, shit talking Texas, saying we don't put guys in the league anymore, that we can't win, and that we don't develop talent. Well, now that's pretty hard stuff for Patty to claim, and his team is coming apart at the seams. Perhaps Herman is touching as many targets associated to this 2019 class for TCU as he can, because he can. Bring as many in as possible, highlight trajectories, and make life a bitch for Patterson, so he's got more shit to deal with while Texas focuses on the future classes. It's absurd, but I think I'm going to live with that fantasy. Herman's crew definitely engaged with some of this during Fisher's first class, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. There is nothing to gain for Texas from having TCU be worth a shit. They're irrelevant to our value or goals.

If this is all true, it's one of my favorite Herman tidbits so far.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not a "trust the coaches" guy, pretty much ever. However, these guys have done an amazing job of evaluating talent, particularly in the form of a unified roster plan. It's clear they're not just looking at guys and "can they help us win a national title", but they're doing so in concert with the rest of the roster. That's really compelling shit. 

That considered, this is a recruiting board and I am who I am, so I have to say, I don't get the Coker interest. Beyond just not getting it, I feel like the premise that that dude could play guard in college is absurd. I don't think projecting OLs is as much a black art as some, and maybe that's hubris here, but the whole thing is bizarre. I'd view him as a miss from day one, and he'd be one of the only ones since Herman stepped on campus. I guess if they view him as an OT and feel like they need another, I get that at least.

Interesting theory, I remember the day late in the cycle going into NSD 1 or 2 that we offered pretty much every commit that aggy had at the time. I took it as a shot across the bow at Fisher for most likely some shady shit he was trying to pull with Coburn and/or Ingram. Him burying Patterson on purpose is a page out of the Urban Meyer "teabag your rivals" playbook that he has done to Harbaugh at Michigan and he did to FSU and Miami back in the day. 

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Interesting theory, I remember the day late in the cycle going into NSD 1 or 2 that we offered pretty much every commit that aggy had at the time. I took it as a shot across the bow at Fisher for most likely some shady shit he was trying to pull with Coburn and/or Ingram. Him burying Patterson on purpose is a page out of the Urban Meyer "teabag your rivals" playbook that he has done to Harbaugh at Michigan and he did to FSU and Miami back in the day. 

Also makes Fat Pat work on what he has in the boat instead of being able to cast his net elsewhere. 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

SurlyHerman

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm with everyone on Jones, including you. I'd like for him to stay and I think he'll make a mistake leaving early, but I don't blame him and I hope it works it. You also mentioned Elliot, and I'd just like to offer that I view his situation as different. He was a cancer within the program and he left because Herman wasn't Daddy Chuckles, and that made poor Elliot mad. He made a stupid choice, and then, he made an ass of himself in the summer time and ran Texas over in the process, in public. So fuck him. I don't cheer against him, but he's not someone I want to see associated with the program. I view his behavior and circumstance as night and day to Jones'. Just my 2 cents.

But yet, Herman has him on the sidelines during games. Something not adding up.