Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

and Jason Burleson is from Sherman.

I know this is going back too far, but I think it’s kind of insulting to not mention Glen Halsell & Billy Dale of the 69 NC team.  Also, little Joe Bob Bizell from the mid 70’s, so we have had some nice contributions from Permian.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, cochamps said:

I know this is going back too far, but I think it’s kind of insulting to not mention Glen Halsell & Billy Dale of the 69 NC team.  Also, little Joe Bob Bizell from the mid 70’s, so we have had some nice contributions from Permian.

Sounds like Permian has been very nice to the Horns for many years.  Best of luck to the young man, cant wait to get him to Austin and on campus.

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How does Coker’s senior tape look? 

He doesn't have any highlights, but there is footage of a bunch of snaps from various games this year:

Vs. Dickinson: http://www.hudl.com/v/2AUA9W

Vs. Cy Springs: http://www.hudl.com/v/2AM6hW

There's a whole bunch more on his HUDL page. Plenty of film if you want something to do. 

Coker doesn't look to me like he has improved much since his Junior year. I guess I'd want to agree with people saying we can do better, but would defer to the staff, obviously.

Coker doesn't look bad or anything - just doesn't look like anything special. However, the fact that TCU and our guys want him makes me think that I definitely must be missing something. Maybe I just got spoiled watching Tyler Johnson's Senior highlights?

10 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

He doesn't have any highlights, but there is footage of a bunch of snaps from various games this year:

Vs. Dickinson: http://www.hudl.com/v/2AUA9W

Vs. Cy Springs: http://www.hudl.com/v/2AM6hW

There's a whole bunch more on his HUDL page. Plenty of film if you want something to do. 

Coker doesn't look to me like he has improved much since his Junior year. I guess I'd want to agree with people saying we can do better, but would defer to the staff, obviously.

Coker doesn't look bad or anything - just doesn't look like anything special. However, the fact that TCU and our guys want him makes me think that I definitely must be missing something. Maybe I just got spoiled watching Tyler Johnson's Senior highlights?

A lot of people on this board like the JUCO. And while I think he is better than Coker, I don't think his feet are that great. OTOH, Johnson and Isaiah Hookfin have great feet.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

A lot of people on this board like the JUCO. And while I think he is better than Coker, I don't think his feet are that great. OTOH, Johnson and Isaiah Hookfin have great feet.

I think I'm in the same boat. I'm not super impressed with Coker's feet either (no Rex Ryan). I'm sure the mental evaluation is also a huge part of it. I like that the JUCO would probably be ready to play sooner, but I trust the staff to do their job.

Which is something I wasn't sure I'd ever say about Texas' coaches again not all that long ago...

2 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

is caleb playing? It said he was playing for Fullerton College, which is down the road..

would love to don a burnt orange shirt and check him out this weekend

He's redshirting this year due to injury, so he'll be able to play three years wherever he enrolls.

Edited by campcrunk

Mike Roach's Film Room: Evaluating new Texas commit Powell

ATH Peyton Powell, Odessa Permian

Recruitment: Powell’s profile rose this spring where he picked up multiple offers during the month of May. A three-star prospect, Powell picked Texas over offers from Arkansas, TCU, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma State and Illinois. At 6-foot-2, 182 pounds, Powell is ranked as the No. 38 athlete in the nation and No. 51 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

Strengths: Powell has a long frame with room to add weight. He’s spent most of his career at quarterback where he shows the ability to make plays with his legs. Powell shows strong initial burst when he pulls the ball down, and an ability to change direction with tremendous quickness. Powell shows strong ability in the open field, and he has an extra gear he’s capable of kicking into once he sees daylight. Powell glides in and out of traffic effortlessly, and he’s fluid and efficient in all of his movement. Powell’s length and athletic ability should translate well to a number of positions, and his testing numbers during the spring reveal an explosive athlete.

Areas for improvement: Powell’s spent all of his time at quarterback, so he needs to learn the basics of playing other positions if he doesn’t stick at quarterback. He will need to add weight to his frame in order to play at the next level.

Fit for Texas: Powell is a pure athlete take who could play a number of positions. He’s a developmental project at quarterback, but he shows the arm and running ability to play the position long term if he can refine the finer points of the position. Powell is also a fit at wide receiver because of his explosive ability and length. His highest upside is likely at defensive back (specifically at corner) where his length, fluidity and change of direction skills would allow him to transition smoothly into a high-end prospect.