Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

They Baylor rape scandal was a huge story line. It went way beyond CFB circles. The Hookfins almost definitely knew about it at the time and I imagine it had to have come up a couple times when talking to Rhule. 

News is coming out today that the NCAA granted Art Briles (and thus also Baylor) an extension to formally respond to their notice of allegations (https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article223303185.html). I don't even know what that really means, but I bet that the Hookfins thought that the entire scandal was dealt with and in the past, then somebody told them about this and showed that Baylor could still face penalties, and that's why they've done a 180.

If Rhule told you that the scandal is dealt with and there will be no punishment, but that isn't true, how can you trust him when he says your 260 lb kid will start at tackle next year? 

Maybe y'all haven't noticed how many people walk around with their heads up their asses, oblivious to the world around them. I don't find it difficult to believe the Hookfins never heard anything about it all.

Besides, we have players on our roster who visited Baylor under Briles and signed with them, only to claim after Briles was fired that they knew nothing of the situation that was going on. It was a complete lie, but that was their claim.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

He was up and down. He had the power to force first downs against loaded boxes and run blitzes when we needed him to, but he fumbled afterward much too regularly.

I think his use against loaded boxes was up and down too. Part of that is on the OL. Additionally tho, he didn’t seem like much of a threat in the passing game, which would have been a nice wrinkle. 

36 minutes ago, pacman said:

....because he can't wait that long(5th) to get paperwork in to USC, for classes starting on the 7th

What the FUCK are you talking about?

I don't mean to brag, but...

...I showed up my 2nd year at UT not realizing that I wasn't enrolled until the teacher in my Speech Class didn't call out my name even though I was staring at my registration sheet. 

It wasn't until I saw "Fee Bill Must Be Paid by August 10th" that I realized "Holy Shit! I just signed a lease on an apartment and I'm not even a student this year!"

It took a call to my dad, who called a friend who was an Asst Dean, who told him "Just have him go enroll in classes and he'll be fine."

And I wasn't exactly a D-1 Five Star Football stud and it still worked out.

Bru could show up at USC on January 10th and get every fucking class he wanted and have hotter girls than will ever talk to me move all of his shit into his dorm and decorate it before giving him nuru massages until the oil ran dry.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

Does Bru have to sign now because he’s an EE?  Why not just wait to NSD2?

He doesn't have to sign a NLI ever.

He just has to sign financial aid forms and he can do that whenever he wants.

NOTE: Jarrett Allen did this for basketball. Anyone can do it if you're good enough and you know the coach will put up with it.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, NoName said:

Bru is the perfect example of a guy who should only sign financial aid paperwork and not sign an LOI in my opinion. 

I do agree with this. I hate to say it, but I think MOST top 50 kids should do this. I know we love the LOI's coming in, but I don't believe a kid should be binded by a contract if a coach is allowed to leave. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

What the FUCK are you talking about?

Bru could show up at USC on January 10th and get every fucking class he wanted and have hotter girls than will ever talk to me move all of his shit into his dorm and decorate it before giving him nuru massages until the oil ran dry.

just a guess based on reading him and his family, but I suspect Bru isn't looking to follow in the footsteps of some dumbass kid from Texas but cool story bro

he wants to have everything setup and ready to go from day one, while holding out hope he can have some spotlight and supposed suspense on jan. 5th

he signed with usc today and will have his classes and finances in order before he heads to the AA game. guarantee. that's what i'm talking about

^^^^^ No quote but this was supposed to be in response to Bru signing early ^^^^^

It's the standard practice to fill out financial and NLI together.  An NLI is not required ever, but no one in football has ever tested trying to do one without the other.

I'm not sure what effect waiting to full out the financials would have.  His parents maybe would have to front some tuition until scholarship came through.

Edited by JBJ

That Boykins recruit is probably about to blow up. Follows from assistants at Wisconsin, Utah, Nebraska, Texas, UNC right after NSD1. A bunch of fan sites started following him too from other schools so that probably means others are going to get involved. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Trust me, if I had to put money on it, I'd bet on USC.  But this Swanson fella is basically their Ketch, I think.  He's negative as shit towards USC though, so who knows.

He's negative but mainly because he thinks Helton sucks. He's been ranting about USC's recruiting class all cycle but a lot of it's truth.....look at where USC is ranked in the team recruiting rankings. 

EJ on Bru

Spoiler

UPDATE: I'm told that McCoy has thought about signing today, but there is no set time, and it's not a definite that he will. But I am told that McCoy would like to get his NLI in to the school of his choice by end of day Friday. Of course, that means that he will be binded to the school and he'll have to keep it quiet until Jan. 5. Again, Bru doesn't have to sign during the early period, but it looks like he wants to.

I've also updated some of these bullet points.

— There is a report that Bru might sign his NLI today. It might not happen but either way he wants to do it before Friday. Again, he doesn't have to — he does want to — because he's an EE and has already been admitted to both schools.

— Bru's mother recently informed the Texas staff of their plan.

— Bru can sign financial aid papers for both schools, which would bind the schools to him. He has not done that from my understanding. Again, he wants to sign his NLI.

— Bru is still set to publicly announce on Jan. 5. He'll have to keep things quiet for a month if he does go thru with his plan.

— Bru took the time to apply (app, essays, letters of rec) to both USC and Texas. Anyone that says Bru doesn't have serious interest and was never coming here is wrong. He wouldn't have applied if he didn't.

— I still think this is a toss up. But Texas needs to close — something they didn't do yesterday. Drew Mehringer has been in contact with the family over the last 48 hours. And the staff is working hard today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I know.  Exaggeration for effect. 

Btw, I was speaking of the Dallas Morning News lists.  They'd have a Top 100 for area, state, and national.  You'd generally have to get out of the Top 40 or so in the state before you'd see a few Longhorns.

Those DMN lists required mucho rationalizing for us Longhorn fans. I was always trying to convince myself that having 10 players in the second Texas 50 was just as good as having 15 in the first Texas 50. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, pacman said:

just a guess based on reading him and his family, but I suspect Bru isn't looking to follow in the footsteps of some dumbass kid from Texas but cool story bro

he wants to have everything setup and ready to go from day one, while holding out hope he can have some spotlight and supposed suspense on jan. 5th

he signed with usc today and will have his classes and finances in order before he heads to the AA game. guarantee. that's what i'm talking about

Now you're just fucking with us pacman. I just explained that he could do it 3 days AFTER classes have started and you're on here beating your meat about logistics that take minutes to arrange.

Maybe you're too mentally challenged to pack a couple of boxes of shit to move when you return from a trip, but I don't think that Bru & Family are as mentally challenged. Most 5th graders can pack up things in a few days that they will need when they return from a trip. Bru isn't a 5th grader. He can handle it whether your panties are in a wad or not.

In case you are also geographically challenged, let me 'splain it to you in Central Texas terms.

You don't think that a person can:

1) Land at Austin Airport on Saturday night or Sunday morning,
2) Drive down to his house in San Marcos,
3) Put pre-packed boxes in his, or a friend's, SUV,
4) Drive up I-35 to the MLK exit,
5) Pull up to Jester Dorm,
6) And then with his parents, friends, and female helpers
A) Hang his clothes in his closet
B) Put sheets on his bed
C) Put towels, soap, shampoo, & toilet paper in the bathroom
D) Put his toothbrush & toothpaste and hand soap on the counter
E) Put an alarm clock next to his bed

...in time to have an early Sunday dinner with his parents, before they drive back down to San Marcos?

HONEST QUESTION: Are you a quadriplegic? 

Again, he doesn't have to sign a(n) NLI. He can if he wants to, but he doesn't have to.

He can sign financial papers at 10 schools, pick all of his classes at each school, announce his pick at the all-star game, and then go to any of those schools that he chose. The fact that it is only 2 schools, and one doesn't start until mid-late January and the other one could be a commuter school means that he doesn't have to worry about anything.

I think that he's going to USC, but there is no stress either way.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JBJ said:

^^^^^ No quote but this was supposed to be in response to Bru signing early ^^^^^

It's the standard practice to fill out financial and NLI together.  An NLI is not required ever, but no one in football has ever tested trying to do one without the other.

I'm not sure what effect waiting to full out the financials would have.  His parents maybe would have to front some tuition until scholarship came through.

Untrue jarrett stidham filled them out with tech then back out and went to baylor 

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I buy the Bru stuff much more than any of the Sanders bullshit. I'm not saying Bru will pick Texas but I think he legitimately has interest in Texas. Like I said a few pages back, I think Texas has a puncher's chance with Bru. That was never the case with Sanders. 

McCoy isn’t the prize in a bidding war, so everyone should feel better about pursuing him versus guys like Sanders. Outside of Mehringer being a part of this equation, everything has gone UT’s way in this recruitment. USC’s class is absolute shit by their standards. Helton is a dead man walking. Coach Bro isn’t favorable for us, but who knows? Given that there’s very little else to follow for the next few days/weeks in recruiting, have a ball with it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Coach Bro isn’t favorable for us, but who knows? 

I think coach bro definitely helps USC but there is a lot of evidence piling up that he's a shit recruiter. Even that Swanson guy was ranting yesterday about how coach bro really hasn't helped that much on the recruiting trail. 

Edited by texasstrong12

10 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

EJ on Bru

Hide contents

UPDATE: I'm told...

— Bru is still set to publicly announce on Jan. 5. He'll have to keep things quiet for a month if he does go thru with his plan.

Someone needs to get a calendar and explain to EJ that 16 days does NOT equal "a month".

In fact, it is very close to exactly HALF of a 31 day month. (Which December & January are.)

And if Bru were to sign a(n) NLI on Friday, then that would be 15 days (or 14 days and ~20 hours, depending), which is LESS THAN HALF OF A MONTH.

SMU must allow absolute shit-for-brains make it out of their school with a degree, because that guy is a fucking moron.

PS- That being said, I appreciate the post @RGBIII.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I just explained that he could do it 3 days AFTER classes have started 

You didn't explain shit. You gave an anecdotal, unnecessary story.

Nothing else you wrote is worth a read.

You want to continue to overreact and argue conjecture, have at it. Clearly you are only here to project.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1