Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Shit happens. Can’t change that the coaches fucked up RB recruiting.

I’m interested in who is out there and available. This kid is one of them.

Didn't say the site has to stop talking about RB. Obviously, we have to hope we find a rare diamond in the rough. Just pointing out that there seems to be some hubris on this staff just as CTJ suggests.

2 minutes ago, TREC329 said:

Funny how the $9.95 morons are refusing to even comment on the “secret visitor” that was “next level” and how we just needed to “wait and see on Wednesday” ... where are you guys? Cat got your tongue?  We got played pretty good. 

I sincerely don't understand how so many people are mad that the recruits had a cute little joke about a nonexistent secret visitor. It's recruiting, not nuclear engineering, enjoy the ups and downs.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

The problem is that there are probably 50 guys around the country that are better than him and already signed because we went all in on Sanders and Cain. Our late forays with Williams (SEC territory and grade issues, holla) and Stevenson obviously were several steps higher than where we should have stopped. I am not a huge fan of Glass, but the fact that we stopped talking to him and the fact we are now reaching out to guys with no P5 offers probably is a good sign that Drayton and the rest of the staff really only kept tabs on about 5 RBs, knowing we needed 2. Not really Mensa level work there.

Maybe we can get in on that white (/no racist) FB from Illinois with like 5500 yds and 200 TDs with no offers. He'd probably welcome a chance to come to Austin over a chance to be a preferred walk-on at Toledo or Southern Illinois or some other damn place.

6 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

No shit. He can run like hell.  He's apparently 5'10", 190 .lbs.

I highly doubt he's 5'10 or 190 lbs.  However, he is very explosive and quick.  He has great feet and fantastic change of direction ability.  He doesn't have a great frame to absorb hits.  He looks more like a slot with occasional carries mixed in.  

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Came to respond to a discussion on DL recruiting I had over lunch along these lines. It isn't that I think any of these DL are necessarialy bad takes on an individual level, but the best teams in the country, with the exception of OU, have outstanding DL play, and the best DLs out there aren't relying on 'tweeners to play in the middle. Especialy in a three down scheme. I'll be honest, I didn't know Sweat was projected to DT, so knowing we at least have a depth/ develooment piece there makes me less concerned. But until we reel in a few more really top flight prospects on the DL we're going to have a hard time moving into that top tier.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I definitely understand that and agree with all of it. I don't think that anybody disagrees that our DL recruiting has to get better to consistently contend for NCs. But it's hard to find elite guys that project to the 3-4 well. AFAIK even Leal projects better to the 4-3 but he's good enough to be our NT. But aside from missing on him there wasn't anything better for us this cycle that I'm aware of. Guys like Tuitele were never going to happen this year. 

2 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Didn't say the site has to stop talking about RB. Obviously, we have to hope we find a rare diamond in the rough. Just pointing out that there seems to be some hubris on this staff just as CTJ suggests.

The staff thinks they're getting every single recruit, which leads to some of them not working hard enough at looking for and planting seeds for plan bs and cs

Saban has every possible scenario worked out so he's not left scrambling late 

6 minutes ago, TREC329 said:

Funny how the $9.95 morons are refusing to even comment on the “secret visitor” that was “next level” and how we just needed to “wait and see on Wednesday” ... where are you guys? Cat got your tongue?  We got played pretty good. 

Good grief Charlie Brown.

12 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I have watched and watched and rewatched this gif thousands of times over the years, always in the vain hope that the puppies will be released. They never are, but I always have that brief moment of hope ....

Wasn't this the gif used by the guy who lost the bet 1-2 months ago and had to leave the board.  He posted the payoff of one of these teaser gifs and it was spectacular.

8 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Don’t mind this kid at all. Gaining more speed and strength with yancy could make him a great scat back. Don’t mind the size either

This crowd has a celebrated history with scat.  Be careful what you ask for.

And South Austin’s mom doesn’t mind size either.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
South Austin’s mom is a whore

47 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Nahlin on Shepherd:

Hide contents

Shepherd talked to both staffs on the phone today.

At this point I think the likeliest outcome is he’ll OV to A&M immediately after the dead periods (1/10) and sign on NSD2.

Wild day behind the scenes tho. NLI was in hand.

Has he taken an official to Texas?

Edited by cdain3

E.J. Holland: 10 takeaways from Early Signing Day

The first day of the early signing period has come to an end. Here are 10 takeaways from a busy day on the trail.

1. Overall thoughts — Look guys, it was a disappointing finish from a target perspective as the Longhorns missed out on both Noah Cain and Trey Sanders. But Cain was always a toss up, and we said over and over that Sanders would be ‘a shock the world’ type of recruit. Texas still signed the majority of the class, which is ranked in the Top 10 nationally and features offensive playmakers like Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington as well as defensive monster De’Gabriel Floyd. It wasn’t the close most were hoping for, but there is still plenty to be excited about.

2. Big fish still out there — The Isaiah Hookfin recruitment looked like it was completely dead until this afternoon as he was a lock to end up at Baylor. However, Hookfin delayed his announcement, and it appears the Bears are now completely out of it — one of the biggest turns I’ve ever seen. This Texas staff is known for pulling off some magic, and the Longhorns are trending in the right direction. Remember, the early signing period doesn’t end until Friday, so Hookfin still has a couple of days to make his new decision.

3. Big misses — Obviously, the majority of today’s discussion was highlighted by Sanders and Cain. There is not way around it, these were big misses. Texas went all on both backs and couldn’t seal the deal. The Longhorns were so close with Cain, and the fireworks just didn’t come with Sanders. So what’s next? Texas will likely evaluate some high school backs like Deondrick Glass as well as test the JUCO and grad transfer waters during the late period.

4. A little drama — What would signing day have been without a little drama from four-star offensive line commit Javonne Shepherd. There were whispers that he could sign today. Texas A&M then started to gain a little buzz. But at the end of the day, Shepherd stuck to his original plan and is going to wait until the regular period to officially sign. This entire recruitment has been a complete rollercoaster. While we still expect him to eventually ink with the Longhorns, Shepherd is going to make an OV to Texas A&M in January, which is something to watch closely.

5. Locking them in — The Texas staff didn’t get enough credit for locking up this class, which is made up of a lot of out-of-state recruits. Usually, schools have to worry when recruiting outside state borders but other than Marcus Washington, there really wasn’t much concern about any out-of-state pledge. Texas signed 21 of its 22 commits during the early period. That’s a huge accomplishment and something that should be celebrated.

6. Marcus Washington — There was a breath of fresh air this morning when four-star wide receiver Marcus Washington signed with Texas. We laid out that there was no reason for concern after a late surge from Missouri, but of course, you never know in recruiting. Inking Washington gives Texas another big out-of-state win and a receiver than can make an early impact in the offense. Washington is another Texas recruiting success story from St. Louis, and this should help the Longhorns in their pursuit of four-star 2020 athlete Mookie Cooper, who attends the same high school.

7. Going national — More than half the class is made up of out-of-state commits. The Longhorns successfully signed recruits from Arizona, California, Georgia, Louisiana, Florida, Kansas and Missouri. While Texas certainly wants to make its mark in the Lone Star State, it’s clear Herman and company want to reestablish a national brand. This class will go a long way in doing just that.

8. In-state talent — While Texas A&M has received plenty of headlines for winning the state this year, Texas still did a great job of luring top talent from its own backyard. The Longhorns landed two premier talents in four-star Cuero athlete Jordan Whittington and four-star Oak Ridge offensive lineman Tyler Johnson. Texas also got a great system fit at quarterback in four-star Port Neches-Groves signal-caller Roschon Johnson and one of the biggest risers in the class in four-star Plano East safety Tyler Owens. This was still very much a productive year in-state.

9. Immediate impact players — Texas signed a pair of junior college players in Fullerton College linebacker Caleb Johnson and Butler C.C. defensive lineman Jacoby Jones. Texas made Johnson a big priority this cycle, and he should fill in nicely. Jones, who was previously committed to OU, will be a difference maker in the trenches. Both are set to enroll early. Johnson will have three years of eligibility, while Jones will have two. Four-star Westlake (Calif.) linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd and four-star Notre Dame Prep (AZ) wide receiver Jake Smith will both have opportunities to make immediate impacts as well and play as true freshmen. They are special talents.

10. Looking ahead — Texas still has some holes to fill during the late period. With the misses at running back, the Longhorns will look for another ball carrier to pair with Derrian Brown. Texas is also looking for an immediate impact offensive lineman and potentially another defensive lineman. Of course, the Longhorns are going to make pushes for priority targets like five-star athlete Bru McCoy, who will decide in a few weeks, and four-star defensive back Jalen Catalon.

Regarding RB 2:

Not to get into a pigment similarity conversation, but positionally...

Do people who know more than I do think that Jake Smith might take 2-3 handoffs per game next year and lineup in the backfield another 2-3 times before motioning out to a WR position?

I believe that he lined up in the backfield plenty for his high school team and he could be a "Swiss Army Knife" for whomever is calling the plays next year.

Thanks in advance for those who know better than I.

1 hour ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

Maybe we can get in on that white (/no racist) FB from Illinois with like 5500 yds and 200 TDs with no offers. He'd probably welcome a chance to come to Austin over a chance to be a preferred walk-on at Toledo or Southern Illinois or some other damn place.

Our luck is that he will be like Don Nottingham we will be screwed again.

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: 10 takeaways from Early Signing Day

Reveal hidden contents

The first day of the early signing period has come to an end. Here are 10 takeaways from a busy day on the trail.

1. Overall thoughts — Look guys, it was a disappointing finish from a target perspective as the Longhorns missed out on both Noah Cain and Trey Sanders. But Cain was always a toss up, and we said over and over that Sanders would be ‘a shock the world’ type of recruit. Texas still signed the majority of the class, which is ranked in the Top 10 nationally and features offensive playmakers like Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington as well as defensive monster De’Gabriel Floyd. It wasn’t the close most were hoping for, but there is still plenty to be excited about.

2. Big fish still out there — The Isaiah Hookfin recruitment looked like it was completely dead until this afternoon as he was a lock to end up at Baylor. However, Hookfin delayed his announcement, and it appears the Bears are now completely out of it — one of the biggest turns I’ve ever seen. This Texas staff is known for pulling off some magic, and the Longhorns are trending in the right direction. Remember, the early signing period doesn’t end until Friday, so Hookfin still has a couple of days to make his new decision.

3. Big misses — Obviously, the majority of today’s discussion was highlighted by Sanders and Cain. There is not way around it, these were big misses. Texas went all on both backs and couldn’t seal the deal. The Longhorns were so close with Cain, and the fireworks just didn’t come with Sanders. So what’s next? Texas will likely evaluate some high school backs like Deondrick Glass as well as test the JUCO and grad transfer waters during the late period.

4. A little drama — What would signing day have been without a little drama from four-star offensive line commit Javonne Shepherd. There were whispers that he could sign today. Texas A&M then started to gain a little buzz. But at the end of the day, Shepherd stuck to his original plan and is going to wait until the regular period to officially sign. This entire recruitment has been a complete rollercoaster. While we still expect him to eventually ink with the Longhorns, Shepherd is going to make an OV to Texas A&M in January, which is something to watch closely.

5. Locking them in — The Texas staff didn’t get enough credit for locking up this class, which is made up of a lot of out-of-state recruits. Usually, schools have to worry when recruiting outside state borders but other than Marcus Washington, there really wasn’t much concern about any out-of-state pledge. Texas signed 21 of its 22 commits during the early period. That’s a huge accomplishment and something that should be celebrated.

6. Marcus Washington — There was a breath of fresh air this morning when four-star wide receiver Marcus Washington signed with Texas. We laid out that there was no reason for concern after a late surge from Missouri, but of course, you never know in recruiting. Inking Washington gives Texas another big out-of-state win and a receiver than can make an early impact in the offense. Washington is another Texas recruiting success story from St. Louis, and this should help the Longhorns in their pursuit of four-star 2020 athlete Mookie Cooper, who attends the same high school.

7. Going national — More than half the class is made up of out-of-state commits. The Longhorns successfully signed recruits from Arizona, California, Georgia, Louisiana, Florida, Kansas and Missouri. While Texas certainly wants to make its mark in the Lone Star State, it’s clear Herman and company want to reestablish a national brand. This class will go a long way in doing just that.

8. In-state talent — While Texas A&M has received plenty of headlines for winning the state this year, Texas still did a great job of luring top talent from its own backyard. The Longhorns landed two premier talents in four-star Cuero athlete Jordan Whittington and four-star Oak Ridge offensive lineman Tyler Johnson. Texas also got a great system fit at quarterback in four-star Port Neches-Groves signal-caller Roschon Johnson and one of the biggest risers in the class in four-star Plano East safety Tyler Owens. This was still very much a productive year in-state.

9. Immediate impact players — Texas signed a pair of junior college players in Fullerton College linebacker Caleb Johnson and Butler C.C. defensive lineman Jacoby Jones. Texas made Johnson a big priority this cycle, and he should fill in nicely. Jones, who was previously committed to OU, will be a difference maker in the trenches. Both are set to enroll early. Johnson will have three years of eligibility, while Jones will have two. Four-star Westlake (Calif.) linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd and four-star Notre Dame Prep (AZ) wide receiver Jake Smith will both have opportunities to make immediate impacts as well and play as true freshmen. They are special talents.

10. Looking ahead — Texas still has some holes to fill during the late period. With the misses at running back, the Longhorns will look for another ball carrier to pair with Derrian Brown. Texas is also looking for an immediate impact offensive lineman and potentially another defensive lineman. Of course, the Longhorns are going to make pushes for priority targets like five-star athlete Bru McCoy, who will decide in a few weeks, and four-star defensive back Jalen Catalon.

Number 1 just shows the ineptitude in understanding your followers(which we already knew) but fortunately dumbasses keep paying so you have some kind of credibility. 

My/our wants/needs going forward:

1) A running back to redshirt.  I'm even more impressed with Brown after his senior year.  So while missing out on Cain stings a bit, it's nice that the "fallback" guy is really good.  But depth is an issue carrying over from previous years.  We'll really be hurting for two backs next year if we don't find someone else above a warm body.

2) Shepherd.  I'm confident.  Just need to keep him bought in.

3) OL #3. Hookfin, ideally.  Being able to redshirt last years haul really takes pressure off this class, but OL is a position that demands bodies, and one where it is best to stay ahead on numbers.

4) The Bru.  Only this low because it's more of a want than a need.  The position/class isn't dying without him, but it turns up to 11 with him.

5) Another potential DT or big DE.  I'm not sure about this.  If we are confident in getting a good 2020 DL haul, we don't necessarily want to take a flier at the position.  But I also don't think another big DL risks crowding the position either. 

6) Catalon.  We are in an age where dressing out 15 DBs is commonplace.  It's definitely a want more than a need because of last year and the signees, but he is definitely an addition.

29 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Regarding RB 2:

Not to get into a pigment similarity conversation, but positionally...

Do people who know more than I do think that Jake Smith might take 2-3 handoffs per game next year and lineup in the backfield another 2-3 times before motioning out to a WR position?

I believe that he lined up in the backfield plenty for his high school team and he could be a "Swiss Army Knife" for whomever is calling the plays next year.

Thanks in advance for those who know better than I.

Giving you a troph because this was something I was about to pull the trigger on bringing up.

Kid rushed for 1k last season in high school. I could definitely see him take a hand-off on some reverses or trick runs from the slot lineup in motion. 

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I have watched and watched and rewatched this gif thousands of times over the years, always in the vain hope that the puppies will be released. They never are, but I always have that brief moment of hope ....

True Detective season 1 on HBO and you’ll see those miraculous puppies more than once

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Giving you a troph because this was something I was about to pull the trigger on bringing up.

Kid rushed for 1k last season in high school. I could definitely see him take a hand-off on some reverses or trick runs from the slot lineup in motion. 

My thought is that Jake Smith is NOT going to redshirt next year, but Derrian Brown might. 

So if Jake is already playing, they slap together a few plays where he lines up as an RB. Maybe a couple with an H-Back/FB lined up back there to block for him and a few where he goes in motion. Throw in another Jet Sweep every other game and he could get a few carries here and there. That's probably contingent on signing a JuCo/Grad Transfer RB or Young getting his act together. Otherwise the luxury of Derrian redshirting just isn't there.

4 minutes ago, Beigebandit said:

True Detective season 1 on HBO and you’ll see those miraculous puppies more than once

Oh Christ for fuck's sake just look up the video on google tits and all. Alexandra Daddario. True Detective. Why the shit is this a talking point on this thread. Do you retards need help finding porn? 

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

First thought... "Kicker"?

Then looked at his profile and read "TE/SB".

QUESTION: What does "SB" stand for?

PS- Running a 400m in 51.8 is pretty fucking good for someone who would soon be 230 lbs.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1