Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Just now, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

Not to be overly pedantic, but you can't have a speedball without a stimulant. Xanax and Busch just makes you really sleepy and drunk.

I was kidding. I know you can't speedball the. I'm a nurse. It was a very bad joke. I'm just pissed at our lack of running the ball. We're so one-dimensional with running Sam (which is great), but teams adjust to that, and Georgia will. It's why it's pertinent that we actually use our backs more than 10 times a game. Anyway, my joke sucked and I'm meh right now about missing on some realistic guys we could have landed, and some we lost out on when we thought they were leans. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Herman also said, “at DE” for Sweat. Sorry. Had to point that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meme'd about "Sweat is a DT" earlier but I'll admit that I don't actually know what the coaches will do. I think that's where he ends up but maybe he does excel as a DE. I'll be happy with that too. 

We've shown that we don't have only one way to play DT. Nelson and Poona are pretty different. Graham has gotten some run there too in practice. We even started putting Roach there pretty regularly in passing situations later in the season. As long as our DL are quality players, we'll be fine. We're not going to end up in a scenario where we have a ton of great DEs but start a scrub at DT. 

17 minutes ago, futureman said:

seems an odd comment.  why would he take anyone, ever, who he didn’t believe could develop into a championship caliber player?

Because Texas High School coaches need a reminder that we won’t just sign a Texas kid if he’s not up to standard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I meme'd about "Sweat is a DT" earlier but I'll admit that I don't actually know what the coaches will do. I think that's where he ends up but maybe he does excel as a DE. I'll be happy with that too. 

We've shown that we don't have only one way to play DT. Nelson and Poona are pretty different. Graham has gotten some run there too in practice. We even started putting Roach there pretty regularly in passing situations later in the season. As long as our DL are quality players, we'll be fine. We're not going to end up in a scenario where we have a ton of great DEs but start a scrub at DT. 

Very possible that Sweat starts out at DE and grows into a DT, much like Ossai played B-backer this year but could be a DE in a year or two.

Very possible that Sweat starts out at DE and grows into a DT, much like Ossai played B-backer this year but could be a DE in a year or two.

Agree. Just like I think one of the TE’s ends up as an OL. They take them, knowing they might move them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, well, well. I see this board's ambivalence is on steroids today, unsurprisingly. 

On the one hand, there are people climbing over one another to laud this staff for back to back top 10 classes. On the other hand, there's sarvanaash, which is Dutch for "pink, baboon-sized, swollen vagina" and his handwringing band of dickless wonders posting alongside. 

I guess I'd like to see the class finish in the top 10 before I give the staff credit for finishing in the top 10. Then, I'd like to understand how in the fuck that is anything except for table stakes at Texas. Wake me up when he closes multiple top 5 classes, then I'll know we have a prayer of competing every year for the playoffs. 

I'm not ready to hang myself over the results so far, however. I knew the entire fucking way that Sanders wasn't going anywhere but Alabama and I told you guys that repeatedly. Cain has been a tough read the whole time, and now we know, he's into children. In truth, I don't have any issues with Herman and crew taking swings for the fences. I wish they'd be more honest with themselves about which players can be recruited cleanly, or start participating in the bidding wars. They truly wasted their time on Sanders. The entire story there has been known forever. But, hey, Tom Herman knows better.

Confidence isn't a bad thing. Overconfidence can be fatal - for life, careers, relationships, and countries. 

Telling Peyton Powell to fuck off because he hurt your feelings is going to seem really smart. Letting Mehringer continue to talk to Higgins and Wilson is also super smart. 

Last year, after the regular season ended, Saban moved 8 guys off of his staff. He determined he needed to get younger and more energetic on the recruiting end. He also fired multiple administrative aids on the recruiting end as well. 

This year, I'm interested to see if any of the dead weight on this staff is shown the exit. There is zero buzz around it right now, and some of you guys will die on the hill of defending a coach, any coach, so I get that you're rooting against change anyway. I'll cross my fingers that Herman has the brains and balls to shake loose at least 3 of the 5 non-contributors. We'll see. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Here's an interesting twist on the Hookfin saga - from TFB:

Reveal hidden contents

I was able to connect with Ron Hookfin, the father of 2019 OT, Isaiah Hookfin. Isaiah was expected to announce his decision today but has decided to push things back.

In terms of when they will sign Ron says they are unsure about that just yet.

Hookfin was expected to sign with Baylor. However, it sounds like, at some point today, the family discovered some the past issues that Baylor faced under the Briles era.

Ron worded it as such, “we are researching some things on the school. We want the best for our so there can’t be any issues with past issues that would hinder him from future goals”.

The Hookfins are very new to the football world and the process. So, it sounds like they did not follow the Briles story and right now they are trying to figure out if any residual effects could impact their son.

Things are currently on hold.

So Hookfin's Dad is a cat lover?  Queso with an assist from the grave.

#RIPQueso  #Pussyisundefeated #Catfacts 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Telling Peyton Powell to fuck off because he hurt your feelings is going to seem really smart.

To be fair, is he a much different prospect than Kennedy Lewis, but with added positional delusion?

This year, I'm interested to see if any of the dead weight on this staff is shown the exit. There is zero buzz around it right now, and some of you guys will die on the hill of defending a coach, any coach, so I get that you're rooting against change anyway. I'll cross my fingers that Herman has the brains and balls to shake loose at least 3 of the 5 non-contributors. We'll see. 

I think there's near-unanimous agreement that staff changes are need, for once

I just took a thorough look at our commits. I wanted to take a 50,000 ft overview of the whole situation. I weighed the pros and the cons. I did my best to make an objective analysis. I went out of my way to really drill down on what matters, and to avoid what doesn't matter. And when I take it all in, I can stop thinking about the BYU game in 2013. I will never be content until I get the opportunity to strangle Manny Diaz with my bare hands in front of Taysom Hill. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

So instead of errbody we got nobody.  That sucks.

Or we signed 21 out of our 22 players and have the #9 class in the nation you ungrateful shit.  In year 2, we've already built connections in California, Arizona, Louisiana, and Missouri which has given us an early in and momentum with the likes of Mookie and Ringo. 

Big picture bitch. 

• Like 2

I would say today was pretty underwhelming, correct? Signed who we expected, and didn’t land any commits we were hoping. 
Uncorrect. Today was whelming, but just by a cunt hair since there were no surprises.

If some of our expected NSD1 guys had decided to wait, then yes..underwhelming.

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

His offer list is probably about to blow up. These are the types that start to get more interest during the 2nd signing period. 

The problem is that there are probably 50 guys around the country that are better than him and already signed because we went all in on Sanders and Cain. Our late forays with Williams (SEC territory and grade issues, holla) and Stevenson obviously were several steps higher than where we should have stopped. I am not a huge fan of Glass, but the fact that we stopped talking to him and the fact we are now reaching out to guys with no P5 offers probably is a good sign that Drayton and the rest of the staff really only kept tabs on about 5 RBs, knowing we needed 2. Not really Mensa level work there.

3 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

The problem is that there are probably 50 guys around the country that are better than him and already signed because we went all in on Sanders and Cain. Our late forays with Williams (SEC territory and grade issues, holla) and Stevenson obviously were several steps higher than where we should have stopped. I am not a huge fan of Glass, but the fact that we stopped talking to him and the fact we are now reaching out to guys with no P5 offers probably is a good sign that Drayton and the rest of the staff really only kept tabs on about 5 RBs, knowing we needed 2. Not really Mensa level work there.

and we’re gonna keep going after sanders and cain every year.  if things go as planned we’ll start signing them. 

Came to respond to a discussion on DL recruiting I had over lunch along these lines. It isn't that I think any of these DL are necessarialy bad takes on an individual level, but the best teams in the country, with the exception of OU, have outstanding DL play, and the best DLs out there aren't relying on 'tweeners to play in the middle. Especialy in a three down scheme. I'll be honest, I didn't know Sweat was projected to DT, so knowing we at least have a depth/ develooment piece there makes me less concerned. But until we reel in a few more really top flight prospects on the DL we're going to have a hard time moving into that top tier.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Was this posted?

https://www.foxsports.com/west/video/1402332227926

Here is my question: your mater dei 2018 boys are at USC. You are from LA. You are wearing a USC pullover. Yet the video is about a two horse race.

So, what is going on here? Is he torn? If he knew he was going SC, why not just sign it and announce it on ESD? 

Is he using Texas as a red herring to make his announcement on his own terms? 

It's at the least intriguing in a way that Sanders wasn't, really. 

Of the other Mater Dei kids, 3 are Oregon commits, 1 is an Oklahoma commit, 1 is a CU commit, 1 Ute, 1 Bruin, and 2 undecideds.

So USC hasn't closed any of them. 

Something smells here. I mean I expect him to be a Trojan, but the whole thing is strange/piques interest to say the least.

• Like 1

Shit happens. Can’t change that the coaches fucked up RB recruiting.

I’m interested in who is out there and available. This kid is one of them.

Just now, Hornius Emeritus said:

I have watched and watched and rewatched this gif thousands of times over the years, always in the vain hope that the puppies will be released. They never are, but I always have that brief moment of hope ....

what if i told you i could make that happen for you...would you be willing to pay?

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

and we’re gonna keep going after sanders and cain every year.  if things go as planned we’ll start signing them. 

The problem isn't the fact we recruited Cain and Sanders. If we keep going all in on low-odds players and don't have high upside back ups, I am not sure how think things are going to go as planned. This staff seemed to be on the ball with the second tier guys except at RB. I know last year we really only planned on taking one, but I bet the coaches wish they had Eno Benjamin or Squirrel Williams now rather than thinking all was well with Kyle Porter, Tristan Houston and Toneil Carter.

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Came to respond to a discussion on DL recruiting I had over lunch along these lines. It isn't that I think any of these DL are necessarialy bad takes on an individual level, but the best teams in the country, with the exception of OU, have outstanding DL play, and the best DLs out there aren't relying on 'tweeners to play in the middle. Especialy in a three down scheme. I'll be honest, I didn't know Sweat was projected to DT, so knowing we at least have a depth/ develooment piece there makes me less concerned. But until we reel in a few more really top flight prospects on the DL we're going to have a hard time moving into that top tier.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think it's a viable strategy that makes sense for what Orlando wants to do in the Big 12. Of course, the strategy changes when you're playing the likes of Georgia and Alabama in the CFP or a NY6 bowl.

Also, as much as I've insisted that for our scheme and considering that I believe Sweat will grow into a DT, everyhing was fine, I acknowledge that the calculus has changed  with Mike Williams departing the program and it would be smart to take another body to address that hole. @Dbeasy

Edited by Machinator