If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

Jub After Hours.  Mavs post-game show ended.  Monty and Demaris stuck around to hang with Jub.  then Mike, Cash, Donovan, and Jake showed up at the studio.
i'm on delay.  this was about 55 minutes ago.

Same here. Awesome and like they said: we are get a Campound preview. Can’t wait.

8 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Jub After Hours.  Mavs post-game show ended.  Monty and Demaris stuck around to hang with Jub.  then Mike, Cash, Donovan, and Jake showed up at the studio.

i'm on delay.  this was about 55 minutes ago.

Damnit, can’t believe I missed that quality lineup of late night jackassery. Picks with friends Jub is my favorite Jub. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Seems like they only do Cirque like 1 Saturday a month these days anyway

Terrible time slot because there seem to be games going on around that time. Also, one or both of the Sirois are off doing other things. I don't blame them for wanting to take a Saturday off. 

Has the cirque even been on for more than 2 consecutive weeks lately?

On 4/6/2022 at 4:55 PM, Texzilla58 said:

His smokin hot bride quit her job at Fox4 in order to spawn and be a mom. He’s an old guy to be a new dad. He also had quite a bit of time off for his parental leave. Sometimes it’s hard to dive back in. Hard to leave a great gig though.

Smokin hot?  Lulz. 

Middays also would pay a lot less, I'd imagine. That's why Sturm was fine with the move to drive time. I'd imagine he gets a bump in pay when his next contract comes up if he didn't get one already when he moved to the HL. 

Good for Jake to play hardball with them.

47 minutes ago, bluto said:

Total guess but internal promotion plus radio’s general fall off plus covid probably means he’s making at very best half of the other T1 guys

Yeah...I think they all took a paycut when covid hit and Jake was the new guy so whatever they offered him in Feb 2020 was way better than what he was making. Plus,  let's be honest,  they took a chance. But he's proven very capable and if they were fucking around with him then I guess they found out. 

Edited by pops

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I missed most of the 1st hour. Was there any resolution with Jake or do we expect him to no longer be on the show in another week?

He appears to be good to go. The 2 weeks notice was framed as past tense.

my guess is Jake tried to play hardball and cumulus didn’t budge much and I wouldn’t be surprised if bob and dan are supplying some of his $ in some way

9 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Most of these guys have very tough non-competes so options in town are slim.

You think Jake, in his capacity prior to Hang Zone promotion, had a tough non-compete?  Or that upon promotion he was required to sign one?  

It would be hard for me to sign a non-compete without compensation just for doing so, and hard for me to sign one without an adequate contract.  How long are their contracts?

9 hours ago, nolongerU2horn said:

He appears to be good to go. The 2 weeks notice was framed as past tense.

my guess is Jake tried to play hardball and cumulus didn’t budge much and I wouldn’t be surprised if bob and dan are supplying some of his $ in some way

Yeah, that didn't happen.

9 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Most of these guys have very tough non-competes so options in town are slim.

Was his contract coming up or was he "holding out" in the middle of it?

Almost all on-air talent has always had non-competes once they are at the level to be put on a billboard. Jake might have got handed one when he got his daily gig, maybe not.

I hate non-competes in general but on-air talent personalities that have stations built around them certainly qualify as folks that need them. They are just negotiating points; like a buyout. If you want to steal Rick Dees there is probably a price to get him out of it. Back when I was doing the midnight to 5am shift in college for mid tier stations I had no noncompete, or contract, or even any pay.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Almost all on-air talent has always had non-competes once they are at the level to be put on a billboard. Jake might have got handed one when he got his daily gig, maybe not.

I hate non-competes in general but on-air talent personalities that have stations built around them certainly qualify as folks that need them. They are just negotiating points; like a buyout. If you want to steal Rick Dees there is probably a price to get him out of it. Back when I was doing the midnight to 5am shift in college for mid tier stations I had no noncompete, or contract, or even any pay.

None of my questions answered. 
image.gif.78c4cec31e9af7103a670bf05265ea14.gif

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

This won't answer your question either but just based on time-frame I would guess his initial deal was a 2 year deal. For whatever reason they couldn't come to terms on an extension and it went month to month. Shit didn't get figured out iver the next month or so and Jake put in his two weeks and somebody blinked. Maybe him,  maybe them, maybe both. 

More questions than answers. 

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

That's why I asked if he was at the end of his original show host contract or holding out in the middle of an in-force deal. If the former, I don't think there's any non-compete in play. If you want to get hired away while still under a valid contract, yes, there can be a non-compete situation involved.

When Bob & Dan nearly walked to go over to The Fan about a decade ago, it's my understanding they would've gone on air over there almost immediately because their contract was up with The Ticket.

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

That's why I asked if he was at the end of his original show host contract or holding out in the middle of an in-force deal. If the former, I don't think there's any non-compete in play. If you want to get hired away while still under a valid contract, yes, there can be a non-compete situation involved.

When Bob & Dan nearly walked to go over to The Fan about a decade ago, it's my understanding they would've gone on air over there almost immediately because their contract was up with The Ticket.

Non-competes typically survive ( or ar at least drafted yo survive) the end of or termination of the contract.  Usually you cant just ride out a contract with a 2 or 3 year non compete say see you and it is no longer enforced. It is the good will and trade secrets passed to the employee during the term of the contract that they are meant to protect. That doesn't dissappear at the end of a contract. 

• Like 1

If there was a non-compete it would be more like 6 - 9 months or Jake was an idiot to agree. No way he signs that. Maybe he did sign it with the caveat it expired at the end and he was free once he went month to month. Nobody has seen the actual contracts. Kemp spinnnn.

On 4/12/2022 at 7:18 AM, C-Man said:

i thought i read somewhere or heard that when Jake was moved up to host, he stayed on his producer deal.  no immediate bump, no new deal.  not sure if this was his producer deal coming to an end or he had a short term deal that was expiring, but i don't think he was holding out in the middle of a contract.  whatever deal he was on was coming to an end, and Jake was looking for a significant leap in pay to get him closer to Tier 1 pay.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 1