Need to change jobs

So I recently came to the realization that after 5 years of service at my current company, I need to move on and seek new challenges. 

My questions are these:

-I haven’t created a resume in quite some time and I don’t have the time/patience for it now. Have you guys ever used a resume writing service? Recommend one?

-I’m looking for a SaaS sales leadership position leading a team that might be smaller than the one I currently lead (16), but at a smallish growing company. Looking for at or near $200k in Austin. Anyone know any recruiters that specialize in such things?

-No, I did not bang any admin staff at my current company... maybe that’s my problem?

Just starting to think about this, so any help is appreciated. 

Honest answer:  I used a consultant to help craft a new resume a couple of years ago, and while the final product was mostly my effort, they did get me thinking more objectively about how to market myself.  It was only $1K or so.  I thought it was worth the money.

I'm gonna piggyback here because I was thinking of asking an employment question, too. I was wondering if looking into a headhunter, recruiter, career coach, etc... would be worth it. I've never talked to one, as a friend or job or anything, so I really am clueless on that process and how much that could help. 

Is a career coach going to get to know me and suggest types of jobs where a headhunter or recruiter would look specifically for my skill set with their clients? I've looked a little, but have never talked to somebody that has done it. A career coach sounds appealing because my skill set is kind of generic, for lack of a better word. Not specialized at all, but needed and versatile, if that makes sense. 

I really don't need 200K myself, but I'm a simple man. 

16 hours ago, bluto said:

Any recommendations on where he can find a hammock?

There's quite a few options:

- The Hammock Hut, that's on 3rd.

- Hammocks R Us, that's also on 3rd

- Put Your Butt There, that's on 3rd too

- Swing Low Sweet Chariot, also on 3rd.

Matter of fact they're all on 3rd.  In the Hammock District.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Use lots of Key Words on your resume that will ding the robot HR program.

Create a shell company with your dog as CEO and that's who you worked for during that hippy break year in Costa Rica.

In the interview, answer with "I know, right?" and laugh at the interviewer's jokes while saying "I never thought of that... but now it's so clear..."

16 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I'm gonna piggyback here because I was thinking of asking an employment question, too. I was wondering if looking into a headhunter, recruiter, career coach, etc... would be worth it. I've never talked to one, as a friend or job or anything, so I really am clueless on that process and how much that could help. 

Is a career coach going to get to know me and suggest types of jobs where a headhunter or recruiter would look specifically for my skill set with their clients? I've looked a little, but have never talked to somebody that has done it. A career coach sounds appealing because my skill set is kind of generic, for lack of a better word. Not specialized at all, but needed and versatile, if that makes sense. 

I really don't need 200K myself, but I'm a simple man. 

What kinda gig are you looking for?

23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Honest answer:  I used a consultant to help craft a new resume a couple of years ago, and while the final product was mostly my effort, they did get me thinking more objectively about how to market myself.  It was only $1K or so.  I thought it was worth the money.

Last time I changed jobs, I spent a couple hours on google looking up industry resume tips to improve my resume. It cost me whatever that prorated amount of my $60/month internet bill was. I got the job I wanted so i guess it was worth it as well. 

7 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

What kinda gig are you looking for?

Well, my experience is mostly project management for hardware deployments, so I guess I'm looking for that, but I would really do anything that's fairly stable.

I have a lot of experience, but they haven't been the kind of jobs that you network with a lot of people either, so that's why I was wondering about the head hunter route.

what do you have in the way of Resume as a Service.  RaaS

11 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

If you want an individual sales position instead of sales manager, I’ve got an opening in the central region of Texas and above. It will pay between base and commission what you are searching for. We are hardware and software, not SaaS.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

Llano Estacado married white male bachelor degree looking for a career in surfing the internet with 1% income and executive council stock & benefit package ...in a dynamic team environment... emerging... synergy yada yada.

I’ll be checking my PMs for the offers to roll in.

no Disruptive no care.

On 2/6/2019 at 1:57 AM, Parliament said:

Head hunters are skuzbags. The hiring company pays the headhunter 1/3 of your 1st year salary. They "succeed" with job churn, not with finding you a good job.

All that said, sometimes they're neccessary.

Depends on your level of employment - typically the higher education level you have, the more selective you can be.  For entry/low level employees: your assessment is 100% correct.  For executive type positions, it's WELL worth using a recruiter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

Depends on your level of employment - typically the higher education level you have, the more selective you can be.  For entry/low level employees: your assessment is 100% correct.  For executive type positions, it's WELL worth using a recruiter.

At a certain point, the jobs aren't publicly "listed" and recruiters and corporate placement/search resources are critical. In my industry after 20 years, roles are so scarce that even my "network" are all likely candidates for the same jobs. Tricky. 

On 2/5/2019 at 5:52 PM, Gucci_Suit said:

So I recently came to the realization that after 5 years of service at my current company, I need to move on and seek new challenges. 

My questions are these:

-I haven’t created a resume in quite some time and I don’t have the time/patience for it now. Have you guys ever used a resume writing service? Recommend one?

-I’m looking for a SaaS sales leadership position leading a team that might be smaller than the one I currently lead (16), but at a smallish growing company. Looking for at or near $200k in Austin. Anyone know any recruiters that specialize in such things?

-No, I did not bang any admin staff at my current company... maybe that’s my problem?

Just starting to think about this, so any help is appreciated. 

I can relate to the resume issue.   I really had no reason to do one until last August when the company who bought our family business decided to part ways with me and do their own thing.  Darn SOB"s led me on that I was going to be with them for the long term, but I guess "long term"with them is 6 months.   In retrospect  and looking forward, it was probably for the best.  

I graduated in 1995 and went to work for my family business soon there after and only had a brief stint in another industry around 1999 before I returned back to the business.  I had a resume back then, but how you got it to people was MUCH different than it is today.   Back then  job sites directed you to where to snail mail or email a resume whereas today, those sites actually accept your resume and send it the respective HR's of the companies you are applying.  And this is where someone who hasn't crafted a "modern" day resume can get screwed because those HR systems are programed to pick up on key words or phrases  in your resume and flag those for HR hiring managers to further exam.     In my job search , I learned real early about this and had to do several revisions before getting one that finally got some attention.   Hell, I was receiving emails from HR departments which were standard denial form like letters hours later after I submitted a resume which in no way a human could have actually eyeballed it.   I'm talking about getting these emails on weekends or holidays, so you know it's a computer system giving you the screw off treatment.   I have to wonder how many companies are actually missing out on potential quality people because of computer algorithms?

Anyhow, five month later and I'm  in the process of starting my own business.  The heck with resumes from this point out as far as I'm concerned.   

On 2/6/2019 at 10:59 AM, RDCanecutter said:

Create a shell company with your dog as CEO and that's who you worked for during that hippy break year in Costa Rica.

In the interview, answer with "I know, right?" and laugh at the interviewer's jokes while saying "I never thought of that... but now it's so clear..."

you've never met gucci_suit, because then you'd know he got his about to be former job on a skype interview (probably still drunk or massively hungover) with the hiring manager while we were at the world cup in brazil.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 4:22 PM, Gucci_Suit said:

Yup, yeah, thanks guys! Should have expected this. 

What I meant was: I think I´d get a better result if I do not write my own resume. Anyone used a CV service? Also- does anyone have experience working with a SaaS sales recruiter? 

I love you bastards.

Find a Headhunter, tap into your network... that's likely the best way and you won't have to rely as much on the appearance of your resume. There are a few SaaS headhunters I'm connected with in the Austin area and several in Boston depending on your search.

What type of SaaS selling? Large enterprise deals or mostly inside reps selling transactional?

Did the Work in Sales, need to vent thread make it over to Surly?