[Official Surly] - San Antonio Commanders - Game thread of Busch and domination

immamac

2 minutes ago, ImGolfn said:

All the coaches seem to be of the mindset like they're really just coaching almost like a college all star game and enjoying it. Sure its competitive and they want to win but definitely not under pressure 

I got that feeling after the game when they talked. What kind of money are the coaches making in this deal?

9 minutes ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

That was great.  Will definitely be watching for the rest of the season, which appears to run up to the NFL Draft.  

Damn. Seems like a short season. I guess they have to since it's new and they want to see how well it performs before moving on to discussions. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Damn. Seems like a short season. I guess they have to since it's new and they want to see how well it performs before moving on to discussions. 

Yeah, seems like it.  Looks like they play everyone in their conference twice, the other conference once, then go to the playoffs.  I guess with only 8 teams, there's no way to make it a whole lot longer without shit getting pretty repetitive. 

5 minutes ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

Yeah, seems like it.  Looks like they play everyone in their conference twice, the other conference once, then go to the playoffs.  I guess with only 8 teams, there's no way to make it a whole lot longer without shit getting pretty repetitive. 

Ah, ok. For some reason I was thinking 12 teams. But yeah, 8 teams makes more sense, especially with an inaugural season. I can't imagine this won't do well enough to allow for expansion. If the rest of the season goes like this game, this could really take off. 

40 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Ah, ok. For some reason I was thinking 12 teams. But yeah, 8 teams makes more sense, especially with an inaugural season. I can't imagine this won't do well enough to allow for expansion. If the rest of the season goes like this game, this could really take off. 

They're going to be directly competing with the XFL next season, but this one seems to kind of embrace the idea of being a D league for the NFL, while the XFL supposedly doesn't want to have anything to do with that.  I feel like working with, instead of competing against, the gigantic piles of cash and power (football wise) known as the NFL is probably the better way to go, but then again I'm just a random dude.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

He was the dumbass who posted a wad of cash on like his insta story or Twitter or whatever, right?

Anyway, he has some very tasteful tattoos:

3051813.png

Yes, and he’s the only HS player I’ve ever seen cuss out opposing team female student trainers, adult females, and the other team’s coaches before a game, completely unprovoked. A real piece of shit. 

3 hours ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

They're going to be directly competing with the XFL next season, but this one seems to kind of embrace the idea of being a D league for the NFL, while the XFL supposedly doesn't want to have anything to do with that.  I feel like working with, instead of competing against, the gigantic piles of cash and power (football wise) known as the NFL is probably the better way to go, but then again I'm just a random dude.

I think you make a great point. Why make some gimmicky crap like some stupid ass wrestling drama, when you can basically have an NFL farm system (as another poster pointed out)? This is a great idea. I just hope it still has rules in place like the NFL so we don't see kids trying to skip college to sign up, you know?

5 hours ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

Random Dudes???

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Yes, and he’s the only HS player I’ve ever seen cuss out opposing team female student trainers, adult females, and the other team’s coaches before a game, completely unprovoked. A real piece of shit. 

I've known about him for a long time because a family friend was one of his basketball coaches. Not a troublemaker from anything I've heard, not a grade risk and has never been arrested. You probably have him confused for someone else or are just making things up. 

9 minutes ago, Zavala said:

All these AAF threads are fucking annoying. Put all this shit in "other sports" or something, the league is garbage. I'd rather watch CFL or Arena league.

It's gotten rave reviews so far and outdrew the NBA last night among viewers. Let me know when the CFL or Arena league do anything close to that. 

17 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Players make between $309,000-$373,000, so I imagine coaches make similar 

Where did you see that?  I read the players all get the same 3 year non-guaranteed 250K contract that pays 70 year 1, 80 year 2 and 100 for year 3.

Also, the XFL should push their start back.  I'm not sure why they would want to compete with the AAF when they don't have to.  A 1 year head start for the AAF is going to be a massive difference especially since the XFL is paying about the same as the AAF.  Why not start in late April when the AAF is wrapping up?

Anyway, that was a great opening game for the league.  I loved the pace and relative lack of commercials.  Most of all I loved how the game was officiated.  Not a lot of commission flags and the game had the physicality of P5 FBS football before Targeting became a blight on the sport.

28 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Where did you see that?  I read the players all get the same 3 year non-guaranteed 250K contract that pays 70 year 1, 80 year 2 and 100 for year 3.

Also, the XFL should push their start back.  I'm not sure why they would want to compete with the AAF when they don't have to.  A 1 year head start for the AAF is going to be a massive difference especially since the XFL is paying about the same as the AAF.  Why not start in late April when the AAF is wrapping up?

Anyway, that was a great opening game for the league.  I loved the pace and relative lack of commercials.  Most of all I loved how the game was officiated.  Not a lot of commission flags and the game had the physicality of P5 FBS football before Targeting became a blight on the sport.

I just Googled how much do they make, and that was what the article said. I don't know how to post pics, or I would screenshot where I saw that. 

And yeah, I can't see the XFL lasting, at least not with actual football being played. So far the AAFL is scrong to quite scrong, and that's exactly what we need. I was surprised at their pay, too. I really didn't expect it. But it makes sense considering (as and thee Surly member pointed out) that this is basically a farm league for the NFL. I just hope their rules are the same as the NFL for kids to not be able to play unless removed 3 years from hs. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

I've known about him for a long time because a family friend was one of his basketball coaches. Not a troublemaker from anything I've heard, not a grade risk and has never been arrested. You probably have him confused for someone else or are just making things up. 

Absolutely not. Biggest piece of shit I’ve ever seen on a football field. No one acts like he did that day. Cussing at girls and women is completely unacceptable.  

I knew he was a perfect fit for aggy and that he wouldn’t finish 4 years at one school. 

Edited by Tex Pete

11 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Absolutely not. Biggest piece of shit I’ve ever seen on a football field. No one acts like he did that day. Cussing at girls and women is completely unacceptable.  

I knew he was a perfect fit for aggy and that he wouldn’t finish 4 years at one school. 

Nice to know you don't believe in equality of the sexes. 

You may or may not be right, I've never met him I just know I've never heard bad things. He's got neck tats and chose to go to A&M out of over 20 FBS scholarship offers, so it's safe to say good decisions are not a strong area. 

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

You may or may not be right, I've never met him I just know I've never heard bad things. He's got neck tats and chose to go to A&M out of over 20 FBS scholarship offers, so it's safe to say good decisions are not a strong area. 

No, I’m right, without question. I know who it was. I was on the field.

I’ve been on the field for hundreds of HS games, including dozens of playoff games and even state championships. I’ve seen trashy players and classless players, fights and really dirty play, but LaQuvionte Gonzalez is the only player I’ve seen walk up to a group of females and call them bitches and hoes and cuss them up one side and down the other. No man does that. He’s a piece of shit. 

6 hours ago, NowThis said:

makes me wonder how did the USFL fail with all this lust for football.  Same question for the XFL. 

The USFL challenged the NFL directly and appears to have been somewhat successful early on in luring top talent from the NFL. It failed because the NFL was too strong. This league is set up precisely to not compete with the NFL and seems to have real cooperation with the NFL as a developmental system. They also seem to have secured some good media relationships, which means crowds don't need to be huge. The XFL was a complete joke, fake wrestling trying to pull off a gimmick league. It was a laughingstock to begin with and I truly don't understand how anyone was convinced to invest in a reboot that will fail instantly.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The USFL challenged the NFL directly and appears to have been somewhat successful early on in luring top talent from the NFL. It failed because the NFL was too strong. This league is set up precisely to not compete with the NFL and seems to have real cooperation with the NFL as a developmental system. They also seem to have secured some good media relationships, which means crowds don't need to be huge. The XFL was a complete joke, fake wrestling trying to pull off a gimmick league. It was a laughingstock to begin with and I truly don't understand how anyone was convinced to invest in a reboot that will fail instantly.

The USFL failed because Trump thought the league needed to move to the fall in order to compete directly with the NFL and he got the rest of the league to go with him.

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The USFL failed because Trump thought the league needed to move to the fall in order to compete directly with the NFL and he got the rest of the league to go with him.

That was a fascinating 30 for 30. It certainly made Trump look like all he cared about was getting back at the NFL instead of trying to promote the USFL.

8 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Where are you getting that number?

What I read this morning is that players are making $70,000 per season and that would go to $100,000 at year three.

None guaranteed.

I looked it up on Google during the game. I may have misread, obviously, due to focusing more on the game. 

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

This is perhaps the most reasonable and accurate post (imo) with regard to the subject matter it addresses that I’ve seen in a while in here. Very concise as well. +Rep.