Beto 2020

bad_teammate

Beto is a great off the cuff speaker.  He's on CNN right now talking about the El Paso shooter and this is where he shines.  When he's speaking from his heart, not trying to say the right thing in a debate.  Maybe that's not a good quality for a successful presidential run, but it's a damn good quality for a human being in a highly visible and influential position of some kind.

His mannerisms while he speaks can be both a plus and an issue. While the arm waving, head bobbing and stuttered cadence actually helps him come across as more genuine, he does it so much it becomes a little distracting and makes him seem a bit junior and informal. If he could ramp that down a bit and mix in some steady dialogue projection with his head held high and fewer arm movements, he would look more mature and presidential. He just needs to work with his consultants a bit. He’s close. He has charisma.

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Beto?  Uh, he's been in both debates and is fairly prevalent, just not as much as the top tier candidates.

I never once felt in his entire campaign before that he was ever speaking from his actual heart unscripted and genuine until just now.  Maybe I missed something before as I'm certainly not glued to the political scene, but that was my reaction.

1 hour ago, UTDD said:

I never once felt in his entire campaign before that he was ever speaking from his actual heart unscripted and genuine until just now.  Maybe I missed something before as I'm certainly not glued to the political scene, but that was my reaction.

Fair enough.  What about the NFL kneeling speech?  That was in his senate campaign though.

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Fair enough.  What about the NFL kneeling speech?  That was in his senate campaign though.

It certainly launched him to the national spotlight, and I don't doubt he can be genuine and a worthwhile person, I am just seriously doubting his political strategists so far.  I think he has run a poor campaign, especially in the beginning by not taking advantage of his early fundraising/exposure momentum.  Despite that, I think he has to be considered a strong VP contender (depending on who wins the primary) if he can stay disciplined and improve as a communicator a little more.  I think Warren should take a hard look at Beto if she wins the nomination.  (but this still depends on the next few months as variables can change)  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Would love him to see him go after Cornyn bitching back in June that Hispanics were moving into Texas faster than whites.

Would love to see this make him realize his heart is in Texas and send Cornyn packing.

Edited by horncyclist

If he were to break off from the Presidential campaign trail, declare his redoubled desire to help his state after El Paso, declare his redoubled desire to serve this nation in the Senate where gun legislation goes to get double-tapped, and to take aim on one of the Trump's most unexpected lackey's (Sen. Cornyn)...he'd beat Cornyn by 3 points.  The frenzy he could stir up would be a magnitude more powerful than his mediocre POTUS run.  It would become the second most watched race in the country after the Democratic Primary where he's not exactly lighting it up (though he'll rightfully get a bump in the next six weeks going into Houston debates).

Anyway, with the right packaging, to break off from the race right and go to heal Texas and serve the country in Cornyn's seat.  He'd win, and somewhat easily.  "I'm gonna go heal my state so I can heal my country."  I dunno.  

And you're more likely to get the VP nod if you're taking on Cornyn in the nations's second most visible race than you are if you were to drop out of the nomination gauntlet in another few months and wait it out on the sidelines saying "pick me, pick me."  Yeah, that gets Cornyn back in his seat again, but the damage is done to Cornyn, Beto gets to either be Senator or VP on the big ticket, and this also frees up folks like Hegar and Bell and West, et. al. to go off and run for GOP vulnerable U.S. House or State Senate Districts.  VP's don't come from the POTUS nominee pool in the Democratic party.  Happened twice in the last 80 years.  This keeps O'Rourke more high profile than staying in the DNC race does.  

Plus can you imagine the campaign ads, Beto walking by Cruz's field office in Austin and shouts over a megaphone, "Hey Ted......great news buddy, we're gonna be working together in Washington!  We could co-host margarita Tuesdays for our staff.  See you soon...fellow Gentleman from Texas!"  

I would like to think that you are right but I just don’t think Texas is quite there yet. Unless something happens and it’s a national landslide, I see trump winning Texas by about 5. That would take a pretty decent crossover vote against a guy that isn’t really known or hated. I would have to think the number of people willing to vote trump/beto would be small.

• Like 1

Cruz was an easier beat than Cornyn and the voters in Texas already rejected him once.

No one seems to worry about losing Sanders or Warren’s seats, which could easily be filled by Republicans.

Fuck off - y’all already told Beto “No thanks”, give the rest of us a shot to tell him yes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Pissed off candidates only, please.

Anger is not a political movement, Democrats can't get elected just by being pissed off at Trump! - Anastasis and other retarded former Republicans

See: Tea Party; Trump, Donald. 

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Democrats can't get elected just by being pissed off at Trump!

Yes, let's tip-toe around the fascists. Let's put all our eggs in walking a thin, illusory line where, if we lay out the perfect argument, we win! 

Beto just flashed a number of truths in plain language. His indignation is justified; in fact, it's note perfect in responding to the question and the questioner.

He perfectly describes the president. He adeptly raises a key question for the press, "Why do you insist on being a quote service instead of reporting what is actually right in front of you?"

We're tongue-tied in the face of White Nationalism. We watch stupidly as the institutions that protect what liberty we have are beset by the National Liar.

This moment for Beto is the first one he's had that has made me even consider his candidacy.

WTF?

There's your T-shirt and ball cap.

Edited by RomaVicta
Always wait a minute before reading a Roma post. Grammah
  • Like 1