2019 MLB thread

spystud13

Illustration for article titled Yankees Fans Pack Stadium For Asshole Heritage Night

NEW YORK—Selling out the entire venue and filling the standing room to capacity, thousands of fans flocked to Yankee Stadium Friday to proudly celebrate asshole heritage night. “Today, we honor the contributions and history of the many jackasses who have played for the New York Yankees as well as the pricks who cheered them on,” said legendary motherfucker Alex Rodriguez, adding that no team, not even the Boston Red Sox, could match the Yankees’ 115-year tradition of embracing and fielding total fucking bastards. “Assholes have made such a huge contribution to this franchise, from the miserable fucks who founded this team to the shitheads who currently own it. And, of course, without the millions of fuckwad fans and their asshole children, the Yankees would not be the organization they are today.” In honor of asshole heritage, Yankees merchandise stands were offering special discounts on dickhead hats and douchebag T-shirts.

• Like 1

Pujols became the 5th player to reach 2000 RBIs yesterday.  He hasn't been good in quite awhile but that's still pretty cool.

Aaron and Ruth are 1, 2 in career RBIs.  Can anyone name 3rd and 4th without looking?  I could not.

Spoiler

Hank Aaron 2297

Babe Ruth 2214

Alex Rodriguez 2086

Cap Anson 2075

I wonder if Pujols will hang on long enough to get to #3 or #4.

It's also interesting to me that 5 guys now have reached 2000 RBIs but 7 ended with between 1900 and 2000.

Edited by WBT

8 hours ago, WBT said:

Pujols became the 5th player to reach 2000 RBIs yesterday.  He hasn't been good in quite awhile but that's still pretty cool.

Aaron and Ruth are 1, 2 in career RBIs.  Can anyone name 3rd and 4th without looking?  I could not.

Hide contents

Hank Aaron 2297

Babe Ruth 2214

Alex Rodriguez 2086

Cap Anson 2075

It's also interesting to me that 5 guys now have reached 2000 RBIs but 7 ended with between 1900 and 2000.

I thought for sure it was Three Fingers Brown.

10 hours ago, WBT said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hank Aaron 2297

Babe Ruth 2214

Alex Rodriguez 2086

Cap Anson 2075

I guessed arod, then figured someone older like Ralph kiner. Not terribly far off. 

• Like 1

Ted Williams hit .356 with 137 in 1942, then spent the next 3 years in the military, came back and was only able to go .342 and 123 rbi in 1946. Also missed almost 2 years for the Korean War  

He missed about 600 rbi those 5 years and still ended up at 1839. 

Yeah but that’d make the Red Sox fans even more insufferable than they already are

Very odd endgame by the baseball gods but I’ve stopped questioning it.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Enough for me to not watch the video.

it wasn't as glaringly bad as some of the arm snaps that i've seen in the past where the pitcher screams in agony and the SS is in the back puking his guts out; that said, the replay does look bad. not "make you squeamish" bad, but i've never seen a pitcher's throwing arm just limp-wristedly slap himself the way Glasnow did there. It was like he wasn't controlling his lower arm at all. glasnow is one seriously tough SOB the way he took it too. he knew it was bad, but he looked more pissed than in pain, and you know he had to be in some real pain. 

Edited by Goo Punch

He claims he didn’t hear a pop or really feel any pain. Just tightness and discomfort. Sure didn’t look like that in that video though. Fuck.

From the article:

"It's not like there was pain or anything," Glasnow said. "It was just like this really strange feeling. I just thought it would be better to come out and not chance things. Feeling it for that many pitches, it was time to come out."

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Lucky. 

The Rays announced Saturday that Tyler Glasnow's MRI on Friday night revealed a mild right forearm strain, and he is expected to miss four to six weeks.

Glasnow, who exited Friday’s game in the sixth inning with forearm tightness, has been placed on the 10-day injured list and will be shut down from throwing for seven to 10 days and then will be re-evaluated.

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Nah. Baseball doesn’t need a pitch clock

The proposed pitch count wouldn't apply with runners on.  And Albies shares plenty of the blame there.

Edited by WBT

3 hours ago, WBT said:

The proposed pitch count wouldn't apply with runners on.  And Albies shares plenty of the blame there.

Albies kept stepping out because it was clear Greinke had no intention of throwing a pitch. Sometimes pitchers will just stay set until the batter steps out to fuck with their timing.

On 5/10/2019 at 1:15 PM, Macanudo said:

The fan who caught Pujols HR wouldn't give him the ball.   That fan is my cousin.   Bwahahahaha.

Is your cousin going to go 100% cocksucker (instead of his current 95% level) and threaten to throw the ball into a wood chipper if he doesn't get paid?

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Is your cousin going to go 100% cocksucker (instead of his current 95% level) and threaten to throw the ball into a wood chipper if he doesn't get paid?

It's a business...

Exactly two whole days ago... 

Royals utilityman Whit Merrifield racked up a career-high 39 outfield appearances a year ago, but he’s probably not going to approach that total this season. The Royals are wary of the physical toll that the outfield could take on Merrifield and will try to keep him at his primary position, second base, as much as possible, Jeffrey Flanagan of MLB.com and Rustin Dodd of The Athletic explain.

While Merrifield has already accrued 11 outfield appearances this season, he hasn’t played there since April 11, Flanagan notes. In the Royals’ estimation, the decision to keep Merrifield out of the grass has likely helped him continue his impressive run of durability this season.

Today... 

But Moore said he had discussions with manager Ned Yost on Saturday night and they concluded the best move for the team was to have Lopez at second base and Merrifield in the outfield, most likely right field with some time in center. Moore then spoke with Merrifield, who assured Moore he could handle regular duty in the outfield again.

https://www.mlb.com/royals/news/royals-call-up-nicky-lopez

• Like 1